shape
carat
color
clarity

My Appointment with Leon Mege

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Another photo...I''m getting better at this.
19.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Tell me when you''ve had enough.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
one more...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your diamond!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I love the shape of that cushion! Gorgeous!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 10:02:28 PM
Author: arjunajane
Gorgeous stone goobear ! Would love to see more pics.
I''m not sure if I''ve ever seen a cushion with side pears - do you have a link?
What ideas did Mark suggest?

oh, and I''m glad that LM apologized to you, hopefully the rest is smooth sailing.
1.gif
Mark suggested a solitaire or Tiffany Novo or Cartier.

A cushion with side pears, I''m not sure if I''ve seen a link to a finished stone, but here is a link to Sparkle''s side suhion with pears before it was set.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/erd-cushion-with-pear-sidestones-a-la-leon-mege.88704/

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 10:05:56 PM
Author: CDNinNYC

I don''t think your diamond is too small to be a solitaire (mine is a smaller cushion in a Leon solitaire setting) but if you''re considering side stones, can I suggest half moons instead of pears? I think it would look spectacular! Here''s an example.

With regards to the basket height, I think what might be more of a concern is whether you want to wear a band with it or want a flush fit. My basket is pretty low but I''m ok with not wearing my WB on the same finger.

ETA: LOVE your stone! Congrats on a great find.
Thanks CDN - Half moons is a great suggestion. Leon said "no way" to a solitaire, even today. Odd huh?

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Harriet and iluvcarats. I would never have found it without PS!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 10:33:39 PM
Author: goobear78

I don''t think your diamond is too small to be a solitaire (mine is a smaller cushion in a Leon solitaire setting) but if you''re considering side stones, can I suggest half moons instead of pears? I think it would look spectacular! Here''s an example.

With regards to the basket height, I think what might be more of a concern is whether you want to wear a band with it or want a flush fit. My basket is pretty low but I''m ok with not wearing my WB on the same finger.

Thanks CDN - Half moons is a great suggestion. Leon said ''no way'' to a solitaire, even today. Odd huh?
Odd is right. I don''t get it...
38.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, maybe because you have a perfectly square cushion (with rounded edges), it might look like this round with pears?

RoundwithPearz.JPG

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 10:36:40 PM

Thanks CDN - Half moons is a great suggestion. Leon said ''no way'' to a solitaire, even today. Odd huh?
Odd is right. I don''t get it...
38.gif
Well, my husband thinks he just wants to sell us more diamonds, but I don''t think that''s it. He just doesn''t like it with this stone for whatever reason, maybe just because he got it in his head?

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 10:48:08 PM
Hmm, maybe because you have a perfectly square cushion (with rounded edges), it might look like this round with pears?
Yes, I think that''s a lot like it, but the pears would be smaller. The ones Leon like the best were .36 on each side. Amazingly detailed at that size. But I worried it might take away from the stone.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 10:48:41 PM

Well, my husband thinks he just wants to sell us more diamonds, but I don't think that's it. He just doesn't like it with this stone for whatever reason, maybe just because he got it in his head?
You might be right. Perhaps, he got an image in his head of what it would look like with sidestones when he saw your stone.

When my FI went to see him about making my e-ring (before buying the centre stone), Leon wanted to avoid talking about the setting until the main stone was purchased and he could see it.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
CDNinNYC, I LOVE your ring!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

How did your FI say working with Leon was?

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 11:02:27 PM
CDNinNYC, I LOVE your ring!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

How fif your FI say working with Leon was?
Thanks! I love it too!
5.gif

FI thought Leon was very "chill" (lol) and easy to work with. The setting was easily decided on and FI was pretty much hands-off during the making of the ring, so that might be partly why.

If a solitaire is what you have your heart set on, I wouldn''t let him disuade you but if you''re open to the idea of sidestones, I think it would look fabulous! If I didn''t already
30.gif
my ring, I''d be all over that extra finger coverage!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE side pears. And Leon is known for picking out nice sides stones at a good proportion. I think the combination would be stunning---your HUGE cushion and nice plump pears. I don''t think side stones take away from a main stone but that''s just me. I never thought I liked side stones until I saw KristyDarlings'' ring with pears.

Of course, you gotta like the look as it is quite different than a HUGE cushion and a thin band.

Your stone is gorgeous!!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 3:23:48 PM
So has he done this kind of thing before? Call people''s stones small?

I know he doesn''t like to be second guessed when he deals with design and he was very patient describing different settings to me, but calling my stone small 10+ times wasn''t something I expected or was prepared for. I do think that''s rude, but I was willing (an still am) to give him the benefit of the doubt. He told me flat out that he''s a bench guy and it would be better if he did not deal with customers. So he knows that he doesn''t have the best bedside manor. But he kept on going about my small stone, by the end of our meeting he was calling it slight.
I dealt with Leon on two projects and he is 1) a snob and 2)used to dealing with big stones. all the big dealers of important stones use Leon as do Cartier and Bulgari-- that being said he is verrrrry blunt. very russian .........and a reall chip on his shoulder about his product............he is a master of his craft BUT has no bedside manner. I had a very similar experience. not about the stones size but about the quality. caused a huge furor between some vendors .................

Meowtown2

Rough_Rock
Goobear, I don''t post very often, but I had to sign in to tell you that this is the most stunning cushion I''ve ever seen! It''s definitely one of my all time favorites on PS. I think it''s beautiful and the perfect size! It actually inspired me to email Mark just now!

Congrats on a gorgeous stone!

PS-The half moon sides is a great idea!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

I don't think your diamond is too small to be a solitaire (mine is a smaller cushion in a Leon solitaire setting) but if you're considering side stones, can I suggest half moons instead of pears? I think it would look spectacular! Here's an example.

With regards to the basket height, I think what might be more of a concern is whether you want to wear a band with it or want a flush fit. My basket is pretty low but I'm ok with not wearing my WB on the same finger.

Thanks CDN - Half moons is a great suggestion. Leon said 'no way' to a solitaire, even today. Odd huh?

Goo bear, this really p***es me off - will Leon be the one wearing the ring for the rest of his life ??!
I know alot of other posters won't like me saying this, but stuff him - if a solitaire is what you want, go elsewhere sweetheart. You are paying for this design, I really just don't get it.

Thanks for the link to those pear pics - to be honest, I'm not loving it... I think half moons would be alot more complementary to your lovely cushion, (or of course a solitaire)
But of course this is just my 2c . Do you like the pear idea? Do you even like pears in general..?

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
goobear78:

your stone is a lovely and very generous size. i think your ring would be lovely with the stone held by double claw prongs and a micropaved shank and head sort of like this except for the prongs

pinkdiamond.jpg

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
goobear- That''s a beautiful cushion and it is by no means small!. If I were you, I''d stick to having it set the way you want to. You''ll be the one wearing it, not Leon.

Bgray- What did you mean when you said "Leon is , very russian"? Are you saying Russians are rude?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
You don''t go to Leon to receive compliments and you don''t go to Leon if you''re the type to actually cry over someone else''s opinion.
2.gif

I can certainly understand why Leon thinks 1.75 is small. After a year here, I think 1.75 is small and I''m not faced with setting 4+ carat stones every day. You can imagine that colors his thinking. Yes, it''s impolitic for Leon to say those things. We all know Leon by now. Let''s just put it this way, if Leon was a Doctor he''d bluntly tell you to pick out a casket if you had a terminal illness, and he might start giving you a detailed description of your upcoming autopsy
9.gif

If the customer experience is an important part of your happiness with a future ring, maybe another jeweler would be better for you.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Goobear,

Im sorry you are going through all this- it just sucks, since this should be a great experience for you the whole step of the way. I do think it was wrong for Leon to call your ring "small" over and over again- I would have been upset by that too. Now, having met him in person myself, I thought he was very nice (even funny at times)- he is just a true "artiste" and is very settled in his opinions. For instance, he will not design a ring he is not 100% happy with, and/or doesn't like himself. Im certainly not making excuses for him- but that's just the way he operates, and I do believe he is amazing at what he does.

I think you have to try to put your emotions aside, and let him guide you on what is best to do with YOUR particular stone. I do believe he has an awesome eye and will guide you in the right direction so that your stone and your ring will be the best it possibly can be.

I know you've come down to two choices: either a solitaire or 3 stone. Only you can decide what kind of look you are looking for. A 3 stone has more of a dynamic (imo) presence, and will certainly give you more finger coverage...I don't believe it takes away from the center stone, but you tend to look at the ring as more of a whole rather than focus on the one stone, like with a solitaire, where you are looking at a more simple, classic design. I have a solitaire and I love it. But who knows, I may decide to turn my ring into a 3 stone one day because I love that look as well!!!

Have you asked Leon specifically about side stones (e.g. which shape he would recommend)? I agree with one of the previous poster's who recommended half moons...I ADORE cushions with half moons!!! I guess because you are keeping that consistent "pillowy" shape and the stones match up and work so well together. I will never forget last year when my girlfriends and I were at a boutique trying on bridesmaids dresses for my wedding, and one of the saleswomen helping us had a stunning cushion with half moons- I couldn't stop staring at it! It was so beautiful!!! That's when I really started loving 3 stones. I would definitely ask him about the half moons.

Please stop taking it personally- Leon's intention is not to upset you/put your stone down...I think he just wants this ring to be the best it can be with the stone he has to work with, which is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING, btw!!! I love it!

Good luck in your decision!

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 8:27:32 AM
Author: purrfectpear
You don't go to Leon to receive compliments and you don't go to Leon if you're the type to actually cry over someone else's opinion.
2.gif

I can certainly understand why Leon thinks 1.75 is small. After a year here, I think 1.75 is small and I'm not faced with setting 4+ carat stones every day. You can imagine that colors his thinking. Yes, it's impolitic for Leon to say those things. We all know Leon by now. Let's just put it this way, if Leon was a Doctor he'd bluntly tell you to pick out a casket if you had a terminal illness, and he might start giving you a detailed description of your upcoming autopsy
9.gif

If the customer experience is an important part of your happiness with a future ring, maybe another jeweler would be better for you.

PP- you make it sound like goobear78 has only herself to blame, because it is well-known that LM will not "sugar-coat" anything. Look - would LM expect her to get a new stone or what??? Any such assumption would be plain stupid. She brought him a stone to work with, period. Repeatedly saying that the stone is too small is inconsiderate, unproductive and disrespectful in ANY case. LM can argue about settings, metals and designs all he wants and tell his customers that, in his professional opinion, a design will not work/not look good, but that's it. It's always easy to find excuses (oh, but he is a genius, works with 10ct diamonds, is Russian, customer is too sensitive etc.) but let's be real here. He was WRONG on that one. Plain and simple.
38.gif

And median ct size on PS seems to be 1, correct?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Rob- I think PP only meant that Leon''s poor manners (for lack of a better word), are very well known. Goobear herself knew this before going in, so this shouldn''t come as an upsetting surprise.

I have to to agree with others that have said that maybe something''s going on between him and ERD though, since he has worked with smaller stones from other PS''ers and I haven''t read that he''s made that particular comment before.

smalltowngirl

Rough_Rock
Goobear,

Have been reading your thread and am so sorry this has been a difficult process. Your diamond is stunning and whichever path you choose, it will be a beautiful, heartstopping ring.

FWIW, my daughter and her now fiance shopped for months to figure out what she wanted. She was "all over the map" re the stone, shape, setting. It was hard for me and her FF to imagine what she would end up with. Also, she eventually was on her own in this process as he had to be out of the country for several months.

However, as the one constant, her plan had always been to get a setting from Leon, no matter where she found the stone. They had talked a few times and he seemed fine on the telephone. However, she was anxious about his delivery times and also a bit hesitant about confronting the "aura" of his talent.

Long story short, she finally decided on a cushion/solitaire and contacted ERD. Mark had the absolutely perfect stone for her on their initial meeting. Her experience with Mark had been so positive up to that point, she decided to talk with him and Theodore about a possible setting.

My daughter is very visual and has an art background. By the time of the diamond purchase, she had very clear ideas about the setting, prongs, height of the basket, band width etc. M & T could have not been more supportive and delightful to work with. She decided to stay with ERD for the setting.

They did an initial workup and then sent CAD drawings via email. A couple of adjustments were made and then, voila''...the ring....on time and fully as promised.

It was everything she had hoped for...and so much more. Am sure its craftmanship could be equalled, but not surpassed.

Bottom line, from reading Pricescope with my daughter for at least a year, it''s clear this process can take many twists and turns. (My daughter and her fiance would have bought at a B&M had we not found this terrific site and all of the wonderful, generous people here.)

I''m sure every poster here wants you to have, not only a beautiful ring (which you will have!) and terrific memories of its "birth". My daughter has those and I certainly hope you will feel that way too -- whatever you choose. My impression is that, for some, any possible anxiety in dealing with Leon is ultimately worth it given the pieces he produces.

My daughter decided, at the last minute, to go with her gut and stay with Mark. That''s not to say that''s the path you should take. However, please reflect on what you want.

You''ve obviously been through a lot to get this point. You''ve found a large, beautiful stone that will simply stop people in their tracks. But please try to be sure its "home" is what you want for it. You''ll be the one wearing, and caring, for it.

Best of luck, and best wishes, as you continue on this journey.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 10:26:50 PM
Tell me when you''ve had enough.
No, never, your stone is GORGEOUS!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Go with what you want; you are the one wearing it. If you have your heart set on a solitaire go with a solitaire, or if you want sidestones then go for those but make sure you are happy.
1.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Swingirl - thanks, I do love my stone. I know Leon does great work. I''m not totally sold on the pears, but I think that''s just because it''s new and I wasn''t thinking about it, but it will be beautiful. I''m going to ask about the half moons. Good to know you don''t think it takes away, since this is new, I wanted to hear opinions.

bgray - Sorry to hear you''ve had issues with Leon too, but hey, who hasn''t? LOL. I know he''s used to dealing with bigger stones and I don''t mind blunt. I''m pretty blunt too. But, with all that said, would you go to him again? Are you happy with your two projects? I love the double claws and the micropave is lovely. That was one option Leon gave me.

Meowtown2 - thanks, I''m glad you like my cushion! I feel in love with them at PS. Working with Mark was really wonderful and I can''t say enough good things about him!

arjunajane - You know, my heart''s not set on a solitaire, that''s why I''m open to the pears, half moons or pave. LOL. Guess I''ve got to narrow it down. I do like pears. They have grown on me but seeing them together with my stone yesterday, I''m still not 100% sure, can you tell? LOL. I just want a ring to be as lovely as the stone Mark found me. I know that Leon would be able to do it.

Elle_chris - Thanks, I don''t think it''s small either, it''s HUGE to me but in proportion to what Leon sees, well then, that''s his opinion, but I love my stone!

Purrfectpear - I didn''t go to Leon to receive compliments and I am not one to cry over people''s opinion at all. But after everything I''d been through with having my engagement ring and wedding band being STOLEN, I guess I was a little more sensitive about the process. But you know what, I''m entitled just as he''s entitled to voice his opinion. And I wanted his opinion, because I love his work. I don''t care what he''s like personally as long as he is able to work with my stone and give it the same treatment as if it was a larger ring. I think the issue that I was most upset wit is the fact that he was just saying something based on where I bought my stone. But clearly, I was able to get past that as I went back to see him and didn''t leave his office on the first day upset or in a huff. Leon behaved badly, but he knows it upset me and he apologized. To me, I''m not looking for anyone to stroke my ego, just give me a great product for my money. And I know he can do that. I just have to figure out what exactly I want to do with my ring. All very nice choices!
2.gif

Dani - Leon was very nice overall, even with his rude comments and I can put my emotions aside because it wasn''t personal at least not between him and me. Him and Mark, well that''s another story. LOL. I too think he has an amazing eye and that''s why I asked him what he thought would be best. He doesn''t think a solitaire would work best and I trust his opinion. But I''ve really got to check out those half moons. Any idea where I could find more photos?

rob09 - Thanks rob09. Yes, Leon was rude, no question about it. If he was anyone else, I''d be out of there in two seconds flat. Luckily I did my homework about Leon and I knew what he was like before going in, thank god. Although, I didn''t expect him to tell me that my stone was small 10+ times. I know it''s not small, but to Leon the great, well, yes, it''s small, but that''s okay as long as he still thinks he can work with my stone and I''m not 100% sure about that.

elle-chris- There is definitely something between him and ERD. Some bad energy there to be sure.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for sharing your story smalltowngirl. Sounds like your daughter''s ring is stunning. Do you have any pictures?
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
I met with Mark and Theodore yesterday too, they were very nice and it''s funny Mark thought the opposite of Leon. He thinks my ring would be great in a solitaire. Theodore basically told me I could do whatever I want, even if he doesn''t think it would look right because I''m the one wearing it. LOL.

Skippy - the good thing is I don''t have my heart set on anything. The bad thing is I don''t have my heart set on anything. I have a feeling I will just see it and know, like i did with my stone. I read that on PS and didn''t believe it until it happened to me. I saw my stone and just knew it! That hasn''t happened yet with my setting, but I''m going to keep working on it and see what Leon thinks about half moons.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 8:20:23 AM
Author: elle_chris
goobear- That''s a beautiful cushion and it is by no means small!. If I were you, I''d stick to having it set the way you want to. You''ll be the one wearing it, not Leon.

Bgray- What did you mean when you said ''Leon is , very russian''? Are you saying Russians are rude?
no--i know many many russians and those I know are extremely blunt with few words of explanation or embellishment. Ex: "should I cut my hair like this?" answer: no (with a grimace)
emwink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results