shape
carat
color
clarity

My Appointment with Leon Mege

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
I picked up my stone yesterday from Mark at ERD. It''s a 1.75 ct, F, SI1 (totally eye clean) square cushion brilliant. I tired to take photos, but they all cam out blurry.

Today I have my meeting with Leon Mege. I''ve done my research on this board about him, but does anyone have any comments/suggestions/tips when working with Leon?

Thanks!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a firm idea of what setting you''d like?

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
I think so, but I''m open to see what the "artiste" thinks would look good with my diamond. I am leaning towards the classic solitaire.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Then, you''re set. Don''t think of him as an "artiste." He''s just a man.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 9:41:46 AM
Author: Harriet
Then, you''re set. Don''t think of him as an ''artiste.'' He''s just a man.

LOL. Yes, but I am always open to hear a professional opinion. Thanks!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have fun! I may pop in to discuss a project with him.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Funny side-note---late last night I was browsing, found your post and then fell asleep...only to dream that I had an appointment with Leon too! :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am wondering if your stone is the one I fell in love with. Mark showed me a stone with similar specs several weeks ago but told me it was sold. I said I wanted one just like it.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe it is Charmy Poo....I wish I could post pictures, but they are all a blurry mess.

Now to the good stuff. My meeting with Leon.

A little background. My original ER & WB was a set with a center emerald cut diamond (1.01 ct) and two bagettes on either side. The wedding band notched into the er. about three months ago, my engagement and wedding band were stolen. Luckily, I had them insured and I received a cash payout. Luckily too I found Pricescope, did my research and found ERD & Leon.

So first off I should say, he was very nice. I waited about 5-10 minutes, but he never once rushed me and spent quite a bit of time with me, about 45 minutes in total. The unfavorable part (if you can call it that) was that he kept calling my stone small. He said it about 10 times. Now keep in mind it is a 1.75 square cushion cut. The table is 60% and the depth is 66.3%. I don''t know, does that mean it faces up small? I got this stone from Mark at ERD, and now I''m really worried about it. Leon said he thought it was a 1.5 and that after going from a 1ct emerald cut, most people would think I downgraded with this 1.75 cushion. This was very upsetting to me. I actually started to tear up the 10th time he said it and I explained that what he was saying made me feel very bad. But he apologized and I''m glad he was honest with me about what he thought. He told me that a solitaire would make the stone look even smaller and he suggested some alternatives, such as a halo or two side stones. He showed me two beautiful rings, one solitaire and one with a halo. His work is amazing. So to make a long story short, he''s going to source out two side pears. Even with the small stone comments aside, I still want to see what he sources. But should I be worried about my stone? Now I''m having second thoughts. Help!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry that you feel bad. I don't think you should let his comments get to you. As long as you love your diamond, that's all that matters.

Our diamond is 1.52 and around the deeper than your diamond - 68%. It is 6.87 x 6.83 x 4.66 mm. The appraiser said it faces up big but who knows. You can take a look at some of the archives to see the size of other people's stones. You can also do a search on any of the diamond vendor sites.

You have to keep in mind that a cushion will appear smaller than a round and any of the rectangular shapes.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 1:01:01 PM
Author: goobear78
Maybe it is Charmy Poo....I wish I could post pictures, but they are all a blurry mess.

A little background. My original ER & WB was a set with a center emerald cut diamond (1.01 ct) and two bagettes on either side. The wedding band notched into the er. about three months ago, my engagement and wedding band were stolen. Luckily, I had them insured and I received a cash payout. Luckily too I found Pricescope, did my research and found ERD & Leon.

So first off I should say, he was very nice. I waited about 5-10 minutes, but he never once rushed me and spent quite a bit of time with me, about 45 minutes in total. The unfavorable part (if you can call it that) was that he kept calling my stone small. He said it about 10 times. Now keep in mind it is a 1.75 square cushion cut. The table is 60% and the depth is 66.3%. I don''t know, does that mean it faces up small? I got this stone from Mark at ERD, and now I''m really worried about it. Leon said he thought it was a 1.5 and that after going from a 1ct emerald cut, most people would think I downgraded with this 1.75 cushion. This was very upsetting to me. I actually started to tear up the 10th time he said it and I explained that what he was saying made me feel very bad. But he apologized and I''m glad he was honest with me about what he thought. He told me that a solitaire would make the stone look even smaller and he suggested some alternatives, such as a halo or two side stones. He showed me two beautiful rings, one solitaire and one with a halo. His work is amazing. So to make a long story short, he''s going to source out two side pears. Even with the small stone comments aside, I still want to see what he sources. But should I be worried about my stone? Now I''m having second thoughts. Help!
Your stone is not small. I wish he didn''t make comments like this. They can be really upsetting!!
29.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks CharmyPoo. Yes, just thinking about it made me feel bad. Now I''m second guessing my entire purchase. Oh my.

My measurements are 7.25x7.25x4.81.

I knew it wouldn''t face up as large as a round, I don''t think anything does, but next to a one ct. cushion that he had on hand, I couldn''t really see a difference. That really worries me. He kept telling me how small my stone was, he wasn''t sure why it looked so small, etc. I told him flat out that it was a lot of money for us, more than I got from my insurance co and I just feel terrible about the whole thing.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 1:16:31 PM
Author: Maisie
Date: 9/16/2008 1:01:01 PM

Your stone is not small. I wish he didn''t make comments like this. They can be really upsetting!!
29.gif
It is really upsetting. To be fair, based on a lot of other diamonds he works with and that are on his site, it might seem small to him, but it''s HUGE to me and I''m just afraid my stone isn''t any good or faces up small for the price.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mark at ERD has an excellent reputation here. I really doubt he would have sold you a duff diamond. Were you happy with the stone before you showed it to Leon?

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 1:25:47 PM
Mark at ERD has an excellent reputation here. I really doubt he would have sold you a duff diamond. Were you happy with the stone before you showed it to Leon?

Yes, I love the stone. However, I did hold it up to a 1ct Emerald cut diamond and they face about the same, which I thought was odd. Maybe I should go back to Mark and have him to the setting instead of Leon. I don't know...

ETA: I had a wonderful experience with Mark!

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 1:27:56 PM

Date: 9/16/2008 1:25:47 PM

Yes, I love the stone. However, I did hold it up to a 1ct Emerald cut diamond and they face about the same, which I thought was odd. Maybe I should go back to Mark and have him to the setting instead of Leon. I don''t know...

ETA: I had a wonderful experience with Mark!
I''m sorry to hear about Leon''s comments and how they''ve upset you. But remember, you love the stone and that''s all that matters. There''ll be people who think your stone''s small, just like how there''ll be people who think your stone''s huge. Don''t let the people who think it''s small make you second guess your choice. I''m sure it''s lovely and 1.75 is nothing to sneeze at.

If you''re not comfortable working with Leon, by all means, shop around for other vendors. Perhaps that way, you can get a better idea of who can work best with the vision you want for your ring. Good luck! Can''t wait to see how it turns out!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore Leon''s work, but honestly, I would not give him my $ if he said that about my stone. a 1.75 cushion is not small at all. yes, they can face up smaller than equal weight stones of other shapes but the depth is part of what makes the cut and how the stone performs so amazing. mark t knows how to pick amazing cushions so my guess is your stone is a true beauty. Leon will do an amazing job on your setting though if you decide to still use him.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Panada and Mssalvo. Like I said, I actually started crying when he kept calling it small. Which normally, I wouldn''t give a rats a** what someone said about my stone, but after everything that my husband and I went through with my ring being stolen, then the searching and finally finding something that I thought was great, I was shocked when he kept going on and on about it. I exaggerate not, he said it was small about 10 times and that a simple setting would make the stone look even smaller.
32.gif

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Hi I just wanted to tell you that I think that your diamond sounds huge!
1.gif

I am sorry that the "small" comments made you feel bad. That probably would have upset me as well had I been in your shoes.

Sadly it sounds like you have already been through the wringer with the whole ring experience since your previous ring was stolen. so I imagine that hearing those comments would feel especially bad in light of what you have already dealt with.

I am very impressed that you stood up for yourself and said something about how bad that made you feel. That was very brave. I think open honest communication is key. So good for you. Props.

I think that when one is communicating in a language that is not ones first sometimes some of the subtleties and niceties can be lost. Not on purpose of course but sometimes stuff gets lost in the translation if you will. Maybe that played a part in it.

In deciding who you go with to make your ring think about if you are a final product person, or a process person. A final product person cares about the final product period. An amazing final product is what they are after and if that's what they get they are happy as a clam. A process person cares about the quality of the journey to get to the final product. Their feelings about the final product are intertwined with quality of the entire journey start to finish.

Many on PS have had great success with Leon Mege. The pictures of his work really speak for themselves. Wow just gorgeous. A few have reported unfortunate experiences with him. I appreciate hearing both the good and the bad because it gives a more complete picture and helps people make informed decisions.

I happen to think that your stone is in very capable hands. I really do think that Leon Mege is a true genius at what he does. His pieces really are works of art. And lastly your stone sound HUGE and lovely to me. I can't wait to see your finished ring! I bet it will be gorgeous.

36.gif

Mrs.2Artists

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 2:26:17 PM
Thanks Panada and Mssalvo. Like I said, I actually started crying when he kept calling it small. Which normally, I wouldn''t give a rats a** what someone said about my stone, but after everything that my husband and I went through with my ring being stolen, then the searching and finally finding something that I thought was great, I was shocked when he kept going on and on about it. I exaggerate not, he said it was small about 10 times and that a simple setting would make the stone look even smaller.
32.gif
That comment about how a solitaire setting would make your stone look even smaller just confounds me. I just can''t see how ANY solitaire setting can make a stone look small and especially when you have a 1.75.

To be honest, Leon''s setting my 1.52 cushion right now in a solitaire setting. I only dealt with him online and once over the phone. I have no idea if he was looking at my stone during our conversation so I don''t know if he thought my stone''s small as well. Maybe, since it''s smaller than yours! But that''s okay, what''s done is done. I don''t think my stone is small and you shouldn''t think your''s is either cuz it''s not!

Again, I''m sorry he upset you.
console2.gif
I hope you feel better about your stone and find a fab setting to go with it!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks 2Artists. Your post made me feel a lot better and broke the important parts to remember down nicely.
2.gif
I like to think I''m a final product person. Sure I''d like the process to be smooth (who doesn''t? LOL) but as long as the end result is amazing, then I don''t usually care about the in between bumps. Maybe I was just too sensitive.

Leon was very nice about it once he realized he''d insulted me and also did explain that English wasn''t his first language. I know he does brilliant work, which I why I didn''t take my stone with me and run for the door. I also know he was being honest for him. So what I think I will do is wait and see what the stones he sources look like and what the final cost to me would be. He said that he should have something tomorrow for me. I''ll keep you all posted.

And part of why I felt bad was concern that I made a poor choice in diamond. The cost of my stone was $13,400. Not cheap by any means and like anyone, I''d like to get the biggest best quality stone for my money. I was really concerned that I got the wrong stone. I still am a bit. Maybe I should call Mark and discuss this, but I don''t want him to get offended by Leon putting down his stone. Which by the way, he didn''t know I got the stone from Mark when he first said it was small. I know Leon and Mark have some history.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 2:52:50 PM
Author: panda08

32.gif

That comment about how a solitaire setting would make your stone look even smaller just confounds me. I just can''t see how ANY solitaire setting can make a stone look small and especially when you have a 1.75.

To be honest, Leon''s setting my 1.52 cushion right now in a solitaire setting. I only dealt with him online and once over the phone. I have no idea if he was looking at my stone during our conversation so I don''t know if he thought my stone''s small as well. Maybe, since it''s smaller than yours! But that''s okay, what''s done is done. I don''t think my stone is small and you shouldn''t think your''s is either cuz it''s not!

console2.gif

Thanks Panda. No, 1.52 is not small and neither is 1.75, but seriously he kept going on and on about it. It''s actually kinda funny when you think about it. It was like I was in some bad SNL skit.

I can''t wait to see you stone and your setting! If Leon''s setting it, I know it will look BEAUTIFUL! Where did you get your center stone? Are you getting the claw prongs?

LostieLovesBling

Shiny_Rock
I do not understand why he would keep telling you that your stone is small. That sounds like bad business practice to me. Anyway, I am sorry that you are second guessing your beloved stone. Sigh.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
No I don't think you were being too sensitive at all. Those comments would have bummed me out big time. If you are a final product person I think you will be just fine. I am a process person myself and take little stuff that ruffles my feathers very hard. I sure wish I was a final product person though. Maybe I can become one.
1.gif

Luck with your ring!

Mrs.2Artists

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know the ring will be beautiful when its finished but I still think its sad that Leon is mean to people. I feel that its some kind of cop out to blame the language barrier. I bet he wouldn''t go up to someone in the street and be so rude to them.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
So has he done this kind of thing before? Call people''s stones small?

I know he doesn''t like to be second guessed when he deals with design and he was very patient describing different settings to me, but calling my stone small 10+ times wasn''t something I expected or was prepared for. I do think that''s rude, but I was willing (an still am) to give him the benefit of the doubt. He told me flat out that he''s a bench guy and it would be better if he did not deal with customers. So he knows that he doesn''t have the best bedside manor. But he kept on going about my small stone, by the end of our meeting he was calling it slight.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about calling stones small but he is definitely a bit outspoken. I really don''t believe there is any need for it.

I don''t believe talent gives you the right to make rude comments.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
You are totally right Maisie. There is no need for it. But since I said something to him nicely, maybe he'll think twice about saying it again. Maybe.

So he said my stone would look small in a solitaire and get lost and if I went with a double split shank that would look even smaller. Everything he said would make it look smaller except for a halo, a three stone or five stone ring. My husband didn't come to the meeting thank god, he would have been so mad.

ETA: He also suggested I keep my shank/band as thin as possible to give the illusion that the stone is bigger.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
He has an obsession with size!! Why should he care what size your stone is? I wish I had a stone that size! I know he is used to working with huge diamonds but it doesn''t mean he can look down on yours!!

There have been lots of threads where people have complained about his lack of politeness and sometimes downright rudeness.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 3:00:53 PM

Date: 9/16/2008 2:52:50 PM
Author: panda08

32.gif

console2.gif

Thanks Panda. No, 1.52 is not small and neither is 1.75, but seriously he kept going on and on about it. It''s actually kinda funny when you think about it. It was like I was in some bad SNL skit.

I can''t wait to see you stone and your setting! If Leon''s setting it, I know it will look BEAUTIFUL! Where did you get your center stone? Are you getting the claw prongs?
I got my stone from James Allen. I am getting claw prongs, single ones. The ring will probably be ready some time in mid to late October.

I had my worries about going with Leon. PS''ers have various opinions/experiences with him but pretty much everyone agrees that his work is gorgeous and for that reason, I was willing to roll the dice. Granted, what I wanted was really simple and in my contacts with him, he was cordial and helpful.

His comments about your stone were silly and in poor taste. If you really are a final product person, then maybe you can grin and bear it, knowing that you''ll have something lovely to behold. I don''t know what I would have done, had I been in your position, but I couldn''t find a solitaire setting that I liked more than his so maybe I would have just sucked it up. I also think it depends on what you want for your ring. If you have an intricate design in mind which will involve more interactions, then maybe he''s not your guy. But if you''re like me and pointed to a picture and said, "I want this", it''ll probably be all good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results