shape
carat
color
clarity

My Appointment with Leon Mege

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Man, I can absolutely understand why you''d be in tears, especially after having your original e-ring stolen. I would be an emotional mess already since I''m so sentimental about my e-ring.

Thank you for saying something to him about it, though. Leon seems to fall in line after he''s callled out on his unusual behaviour.

As for the ring, I''m sure it''s going to be gorgeous, and side pears with a cushion - SWOON! Keep us posted!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Just got off the phone with Leon. I''m going to see the side stones tomorrow at 2pm. I''ll be sure to keep you posted! Thanks everyone for all the support and good advice. It really helps.

One question, if you do have a stone that faces up smaller (not saying mine does
20.gif
) but if you do, does the basket height make a difference as to having it look larger or smaller? Leon mentioned he likes every stone to be set as low as possible as if anything is set higher it will make it smaller. Seems smaller is the word of the day. LOL. So any truth or thoughts about this?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I was just thinking. If you don''t want side stones to begin with, don''t let him talk you into getting side stones. It will significantly change what you originally had in mind. I am sure it will turn out beautiful either way but this is your ring and it doesn''t matter how he wants to designs it. There are so many gorgeous solitaire rings with diamonds much smaller than yours - and they look huge!

edl

Shiny_Rock
I read this thread with some interest because Leon is on my short list for settings as well. A few observations:

1. Your stone is NOT small. I wouldn''t put it in the FRIGGIN HUGE category, but small it is not. The 2.19 OMC I bought from Mark is 7.72 x 7.58 x 5.08, so I guess we''re both in the "face up small" category. Whoopie!
9.gif

2. You seem to be offended by Leon''s behavior - do you want to do business with someone who''s hurt your feelings? It''s great that he apologized, but I learned very early on in business that customers don''t care about your excuses, so don''t even bother making them.

3. If you have your mind made up on a setting, why change it? Because someone else thinks otherwise? Personally, I seek advice from everyone here on settings - because I really don''t know much about jewelry. But if you''ve always dreamed about a particular setting, then who has the right to tell you to do it otherwise?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you said, cushions usually face up smaller than rounds. A 7.2mm round is about 1.4 cts. A 1.7 ct. round is about 7.7mm. So I am sure that is what he was meaning. He is just to the point; I don''t think he meant to insult you personally. He deals with a lot of large stones, so I realized mine (also under 2 cts.) would be on the small side for him. But that''s okay because I couldn''t pull off a 2 ct. where I live anyway.

But when you mentioned halo, I thought of MrsSalvo''s gorgeous cushion in a halo by Daniel K. Hers is close to the size of yours. Leon could do a beautiful version of that. Side pears would also be beautiful. But as someone else said, be sure of what YOU want and don''t be swayed by the opinions of others. There are a lot of rings on PS that I love but could never wear because they would be over the top for where I live and the people I am mostly around. So go with what you''ll be most happy with!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 5:48:03 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I was just thinking. If you don't want side stones to begin with, don't let him talk you into getting side stones. It will significantly change what you originally had in mind. I am sure it will turn out beautiful either way but this is your ring and it doesn't matter how he wants to designs it. There are so many gorgeous solitaire rings with diamonds much smaller than yours - and they look huge!
DITTO!!! Leon gave me the same line about how my 1 carat cushion would be drowning in metal in a solitaire setting and that it should be a three stone or have a halo. I found that a little strange given that when I was originally considering buying a 1.05 carat cushion from him (for a solitaire setting with pave just along the shank), there was no suggestion of it needing a halo or side stones. At any rate, a 1.75 carat cushion is so NOT SMALL and if you want a solitaire, you should get what you want.

I haven't seen anyone do a cushion solitaire quite like Leon and those claw prongs of his are incredible. I had a local benchman do my setting in the end; I knew I wanted a solitaire to start and didn't want to go to the additional expense of having to send it to NY and back from Canada if it was going to come back "drowning in metal", but it would've been fine in Leon's hands, and it doesn't look small (at least, not to me or anyone else who's seen it
41.gif
) If my little 1 carat can withstand a solitaire that's chunkier than a Leon, yours can definitely hold its own in a Leon solitaire.

Regarding the really low setting for the stone, the one thing I would consider is how your new wedding band will sit next to a low set stone. Sometimes, if the stone is set very deep, it seems to push the wedding band away a bit, or make it harder to find a wb that will sit nicely next to it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto on the wedding band issue. I told him to set my stone as low as possible while allowing for the Tiffany Legacy wedding band to be worn with it. They made the shank tall to match up with the height of the Legacy band.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 4:25:56 PM
Author: goobear78
Just got off the phone with Leon. I''m going to see the side stones tomorrow at 2pm. I''ll be sure to keep you posted! Thanks everyone for all the support and good advice. It really helps.

One question, if you do have a stone that faces up smaller (not saying mine does
20.gif
) but if you do, does the basket height make a difference as to having it look larger or smaller? Leon mentioned he likes every stone to be set as low as possible as if anything is set higher it will make it smaller. Seems smaller is the word of the day. LOL. So any truth or thoughts about this?
He''s saying the higher it''s set, the smaller it looks? Um, no. The higher it''s set, the larger it will look. And that''s not just my experience/opinion. It''s the opinion of most on here.

Good luck with everything goobear. And imo, for what it''s worth, that is not a "small" diamond.
2.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I went on adiamor.com and did a search for square cushions (<=1.04 ratio) between 1.7 and 1.8. I got 30 results and the average length of the 30 diamonds is 6.91 mm. I definitely think your diamond faces up big for a square cushion - nothing to doubt! You should be happy.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Size is all relative. I wouldn't be offended or complimented by Leon's comment regarding size. He is looking at the components of a project and trying to assess what the finished piece will look like. His job is to make your stone look the best it can in the setting you want. It doesn't matter to him whether you think your stone is huge or tiny. What matters to him is what he needs to do to give you a final piece you love. Could there been something in the description of what you wanted that lead him to believe you'd be happier with more finger coverage and the use of side stones?

He does set a lot of large stones and most of his settings have some sort of stone-enhancing embellishment like halos, pave, or side stones. I think this is more his style and although he has done some amazing solitares they are usually with very large stones around 3 ct. I think a stone has to be in the 3-4 ct category to get a Leon Large rating. I am afraid 1-2 ct gets you a Leon Small rating. But I have a Leon Small and I am 100% satisfied. I could care less whether he or anyone else thinks my stone is tiny, small or large. It's perfect for me (bigger than my last, smaller than my next!!!)

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 9:01:38 PM
Author: swingirl
It''s perfect for me (bigger than my last, smaller than my next!!!)

LOL swingirl/ You said it best!

Thanks everyone. I know that based on what Leon sees and works with on a regular basis, my stone is small to him, but it''s large to me and I love it. I was surprised because he kept saying it over and over and over.

I did call Mark and talk to him about it. Seems that this isn''t the first time this has happened to one of Mark''s clients. Sad, but true.

Pixley, can''t believe it happened to you to. I mean he could say any number of things and ways to dissuade me from picking a setting, he doesn’t think is right for the stone. I’d be okay with that and actually asked his advice on what setting would look best with the stone, but to harp on about the size, was poor taste. He actually took it in his palm at one point and said, "I want to see what makes it look so small." I kid you not.

That''s said, I don’t'' have tiny feelings and I know Leon can make an amazing ring no matter the size The beautiful rings are PS are a testament to that! So I will go tomorrow and see what kind of side stones he has. I haven’t ruled out working with Mark too. So I’ll see. At this point, I think I’ve got to really think about it all.

I don’t have my heart set on any setting, since I got the setting of my heart when I was married, now I’m just looking for something else that I will love just as much.

PS what do you think of a square cushion with pears? I really like that idea, but haven’t been able to see that much online with that setting. Is it considered a modern or a classic style?

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 6:58:30 PM
Author: edl
I read this thread with some interest because Leon is on my short list for settings as well. A few observations:

1. Your stone is NOT small. I wouldn''t put it in the FRIGGIN HUGE category, but small it is not. The 2.19 OMC I bought from Mark is 7.72 x 7.58 x 5.08, so I guess we''re both in the ''face up small'' category. Whoopie!
9.gif

2. You seem to be offended by Leon''s behavior - do you want to do business with someone who''s hurt your feelings? It''s great that he apologized, but I learned very early on in business that customers don''t care about your excuses, so don''t even bother making them.

3. If you have your mind made up on a setting, why change it? Because someone else thinks otherwise? Personally, I seek advice from everyone here on settings - because I really don''t know much about jewelry. But if you''ve always dreamed about a particular setting, then who has the right to tell you to do it otherwise?
Thanks Edl - glad to be in good company!
35.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 8:23:07 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I went on adiamor.com and did a search for square cushions (<=1.04 ratio) between 1.7 and 1.8. I got 30 results and the average length of the 30 diamonds is 6.91 mm. I definitely think your diamond faces up big for a square cushion - nothing to doubt! You should be happy.
Thanks for the research CharmyPoo. I am happy with my stone, but hearing Leon, whose opinion I respect(ed) got in my head. I shouldn''t have let that happen. But then, that was the last thing I expected him to say.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 7:38:16 PM
Author: Ellen

20.gif
He''s saying the higher it''s set, the smaller it looks? Um, no. The higher it''s set, the larger it will look. And that''s not just my experience/opinion. It''s the opinion of most on here.

Good luck with everything goobear. And imo, for what it''s worth, that is not a ''small'' diamond.
2.gif
DITTO!!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 10:11:17 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 9/16/2008 7:38:16 PM
Author: Ellen

Just got off the phone with Leon. I'm going to see the side stones tomorrow at 2pm. I'll be sure to keep you posted! Thanks everyone for all the support and good advice. It really helps.

20.gif
He's saying the higher it's set, the smaller it looks? Um, no. The higher it's set, the larger it will look. And that's not just my experience/opinion. It's the opinion of most on here.

Good luck with everything goobear. And imo, for what it's worth, that is not a 'small' diamond.
2.gif
DITTO!!
See, that's what I thought. But Leon said no, I even repeated it to him, because I wasn't sure if I heared him correctly. But it's his opinion that when set low, it makes a stone look bigger and the higher you set it, the smaller it will look. Seems Leon needs a little PS education. LOL.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your stone is fine!!! Leon is used to working with very very large stones, I really would try to not let it get to you. I would also pick the setting that you want, unless you want to go with his artistic visions 100%. A 1.75 cushion in a simple solitaire will be incredible, and it would be incredible with sidestones too, or a halo!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I know he''s used to working with super large stones. But say it once or twice. 10 times for any size was just thoughtless. But what concerns me most is that Mark said this has happened to three of his clients in the last three weeks. Leon did know that my stone was from Mark, and once I said it again where I bought the stone, he kept putting it down and trying to put doubt in my head. I think there is something there as the two of them had some kind of history. And if my stone is too small for what he''s used to, and I totally understand that from his point of view, then maybe it would be better set elsewhere, that''s how I''m feeling this morning.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
goobear78,
Good luck in whatever you decide!
35.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Harriet. I''ll keep you all posted. Actually, I might just wait this whole thing out and take some time to decide just what kind of setting I want. I''ve got the stone, there is no need to rush the setting and maybe that''s just what I was doing.

edl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 9:44:20 AM
Yes, I know he''s used to working with super large stones. But say it once or twice. 10 times for any size was just thoughtless. But what concerns me most is that Mark said this has happened to three of his clients in the last three weeks. Leon did know that my stone was from Mark, and once I said it again where I bought the stone, he kept putting it down and trying to put doubt in my head. I think there is something there as the two of them had some kind of history. And if my stone is too small for what he''s used to, and I totally understand that from his point of view, then maybe it would be better set elsewhere, that''s how I''m feeling this morning.
There''s definitely something going on, I got that impression as well. Let''s hope it doesn''t affect the final product!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
So back from round 2 with Leon. He was very nice and had five sets of pears for me to view. All were very lovely. The only worry was that they would compete with my center stone. The ones Leon suggested were .36 cts each (72 total). They looked lovely. What do you all think of a cushion with two pears on the side? I''m just not sure it''s the look I want to go with or not. So I''ve got to think about it.

I also met with Mark and his designer and discussed settings. So I''m more confused than ever.
33.gif
But really, things could be worse no? LOL. Not big problems when you look at what''s going on in the world.

And I am very happy with my diamond. Leon also said he felt very bad about what happened, and I believe him. Now I''ve got a lot of thinking to do...

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 1:49:20 PM
Author: edl
Date: 9/17/2008 9:44:20 AM

There''s definitely something going on, I got that impression as well. Let''s hope it doesn''t affect the final product!

Are you working with Leon and Mark as well? Any photos of your stone? Love to see them!
3.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a picture of your stone on this thread? That might help us have an idea if we like the pear sidestone idea. I can picture them with rounds and ovals, but I''d have to see the cushion.

I think you are wise to wait until you are sure!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea Diamondseeker, I''ll post a few pictures of the stone when I get home.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
So here are some photos. I placed them on top of a spice container and they seem less blurry. Still not the best photos, can''t see how much this stone sparkles! And it is a true F, colorless, but it picked up some of the red on the cap.
20.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
another...

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
One more...

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to try and take some more...without the red cap. LOL.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone goobear ! Would love to see more pics.
I''m not sure if I''ve ever seen a cushion with side pears - do you have a link?
What ideas did Mark suggest?

oh, and I''m glad that LM apologized to you, hopefully the rest is smooth sailing.
1.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Just got off the phone with Leon. I'm going to see the side stones tomorrow at 2pm. I'll be sure to keep you posted! Thanks everyone for all the support and good advice. It really helps.

20.gif
I don't think your diamond is too small to be a solitaire (mine is a smaller cushion in a Leon solitaire setting) but if you're considering side stones, can I suggest half moons instead of pears? I think it would look spectacular! Here's an example.

With regards to the basket height, I think what might be more of a concern is whether you want to wear a band with it or want a flush fit. My basket is pretty low but I'm ok with not wearing my WB on the same finger.

ETA: LOVE your stone! Congrats on a great find.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results