shape
carat
color
clarity

My Appointment with Leon Mege

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Goo- I wonder why Leon doesnt like half moons. Did he explain?

I love that MM that swingirl posted....GORGEOUS!!!
30.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
All the rings posted are gorgeous but for a cushion, I think a simple solitare or thin halo just brings out the wow factor. This is coming from someone that doesn''t like halos, but on a cushion i think they''re beautiful.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 4:53:58 PM
Author: swingirl

Date: 9/18/2008 11:29:25 AM
Author: bgray

I would not go back to Leon. He is a more is more person. The problem with him is that if YOU (the customer) doesnt know exactly what you want then he trys to push what he thinks it should be. As a matter of fact--he is best for people who want to copy one of his existing designs or can say I want such and such. (period).

My ring that I envisioned as an elaborately embellished solitaire ended up with huge (1.6 tcw) side stones and totally encrusted in micropave. I wasnt sure so I acquiesced and I never liked it. Whats worse is the mounting cost me $8000.
Are you saying you have setting from LM that was $8000? Can you post some photos? I'd love to see what he does with that budget.
yes i did but its long been disposed of..................i hated it. it overwhelmed the stone. now i have a simple moutning with 1/2 carat per stone sides and no pave. i went through Whiteflash instead for my custom mounting.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 5:33:33 PM
Author: Dani

30.gif
Dani - Leon said he doesn''t like half moons becuase they look like ears. LOL. I can kinda see his point. He said he never does them unless a client really wants them, but he doesn''t like them at all.

Swingirl - LOVE that MM. I''m going to go check that out.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 8:20:43 PM

I would not go back to Leon. He is a more is more person. The problem with him is that if YOU (the customer) doesnt know exactly what you want then he trys to push what he thinks it should be. As a matter of fact--he is best for people who want to copy one of his existing designs or can say I want such and such. (period).

My ring that I envisioned as an elaborately embellished solitaire ended up with huge (1.6 tcw) side stones and totally encrusted in micropave. I wasnt sure so I acquiesced and I never liked it. Whats worse is the mounting cost me $8000.
Are you saying you have setting from LM that was $8000? Can you post some photos? I''d love to see what he does with that budget.
yes i did but its long been disposed of..................i hated it. it overwhelmed the stone. now i have a simple moutning with 1/2 carat per stone sides and no pave. i went through Whiteflash instead for my custom mounting.
How did you like working with Whiteflash?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 9:32:10 PM
Author: goobear78
Date: 9/18/2008 5:33:33 PM

30.gif

Dani - Leon said he doesn''t like half moons becuase they look like ears. LOL. I can kinda see his point. He said he never does them unless a client really wants them, but he doesn''t like them at all.

Swingirl - LOVE that MM. I''m going to go check that out.

Oh.....GREAT!!! Now Im never going to be able to get that out of my head, Goo, thanks alot!!!!
2.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 9:47:18 PM

Oh.....GREAT!!! Now Im never going to be able to get that out of my head, Goo, thanks alot!!!!
2.gif

LOL. I know me too! And actually when he said ears, I kept thinking Mickey Mouse ears too!
1.gif
Ears, I mean half moons are out now.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Ha, ha, you're too funny, Goo!

BTW, have you ever seen PS-coper soprano87's (or something like that-can someone help me out here?) set? Its a Leon cushion solitaire, and its so pretty!!!! I just cant find her thread right now!!
14.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
AH HA!!! Here it is!!!! Here is her thread too: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-pricescope-markt-cushion-leon-setting-quest-band.71222/

I absolutely adore her ring (although Im bias, b/c it looks somewhat similar to my solitaire setting, except I have an EC)...he he
3.gif

ksm ringexample 3a.jpg

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
WOWOWOWOWWOWOWWOWO
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 10:08:54 PM
WOWOWOWOWWOWOWWOWO
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I know, isnt it beautiful???!!! Defninitely hers is one of my favorite settings for a cushion ever!! I just think its so classic and beautiful, and you gotta love those claw prongs and that dainty band that just makes that stone POP!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What''s so strange is that stone is smaller than yours (at least in weight). So I cannot understand why he is resistant to setting your stone in a solitaire!!!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 10:19:22 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
What''s so strange is that stone is smaller than yours (at least in weight). So I cannot understand why he is resistant to setting your stone in a solitaire!!!
I was just thinking the same thing. My guess is that it has to do with ERD or he wanted to make more $, but I think it''s the first. He gets enough business, he doesn''t need me, but he seems to really dislike ERD.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I imagine there is some history there. I just hate for you to not get what you really want, regardless of who the ring maker is.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 10:21:55 PM
Date: 9/18/2008 10:19:22 PM

What's so strange is that stone is smaller than yours (at least in weight). So I cannot understand why he is resistant to setting your stone in a solitaire!!!

I was just thinking the same thing. My guess is that it has to do with ERD or he wanted to make more $, but I think it's the first. He gets enough business, he doesn't need me, but he seems to really dislike ERD.

Oh well....They really need to get over this beef that has been going on for yrs between them- MH and I worked with Mark in '05 and I remember feeling those bad vibes between Mark and Leon then ( I almost went with Leon for my setting, but then decided to go with Mark last minute). So this is not a new thing at all....unfortunately, its been going on for awhile now!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 9:33:57 PM

Date: 9/18/2008 8:20:43 PM

Are you saying you have setting from LM that was $8000? Can you post some photos? I''d love to see what he does with that budget.
How did you like working with Whiteflash?
I loved whiteflash: they made my ring exactly to my specs and they made my best friends oval cushion (set in a micropave solitaire a la Cellini or Verdura)..............

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 10:24:38 PM
Oh well....They really need to get over this beef that has been going on for yrs between them- MH and I worked with Mark in ''05 and I remember feeling those bad vibes between Mark and Leon then ( I almost went with Leon for my setting, but then decided to go with Mark last minute). So this is not a new thing at all....unfortunately, its been going on for awhile now!
Interesting and kinda sad. I just figured it was a new thing. Something going on that long might be hard to get over, but I think they are a perfect fit. Mark finds killer stones and Leon does amazing work. I agree they need to get over it and work together (on my ring...LOL), but then I don''t know what the "history" is. Anyone have any idea?

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 10:24:18 PM
Yeah, I imagine there is some history there. I just hate for you to not get what you really want, regardless of who the ring maker is.
Thanks Diamondseeker. Seeing soprano87''s ring just reminds me how much I love Leon''s simple work.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Dani,
Good sleuthing on Soprano87''s cushion! Her set is spectacular. Scarlet16 also has a heavenly 1.5 carat cushion in that setting but with bright cut pave, so it''s been done with great success already, and it''s so bizarre that he''s digging in his heels on this.

I fully agree there''s a combination of things going on, one of which is the rivalry (it likely goes both ways, but Mark is more gentlemanly about it - I do remember Mark taking a little jab at Leon when I told him that Leon had a cushion to sell me); secondly, you''re right, he probably doesn''t make loads on the solitaires, and more and more of us are wanting them because they''re so darn stunning.

But the thing about solitaires is that they leave you sooooo many options for wedding bands. Leon could make a fantastic bright cut pave wedding band to go with your solitaire and it would be soooo pretty. At any rate, your stone is totally scrumptious and I think it should be the star of the show. I hope you can come to a decision on something that will make you happy each and every day.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 10:45:05 PM
Author: pixley
Dani,

Good sleuthing on Soprano87's cushion! Her set is spectacular. Scarlet16 also has a heavenly 1.5 carat cushion in that setting but with bright cut pave, so it's been done with great success already, and it's so bizarre that he's digging in his heels on this.

I fully agree there's a combination of things going on, one of which is the rivalry (it likely goes both ways, but Mark is more gentlemanly about it - I do remember Mark taking a little jab at Leon when I told him that Leon had a cushion to sell me); secondly, you're right, he probably doesn't make loads on the solitaires, and more and more of us are wanting them because they're so darn stunning.

But the thing about solitaires is that they leave you sooooo many options for wedding bands. Leon could make a fantastic bright cut pave wedding band to go with your solitaire and it would be soooo pretty. At any rate, your stone is totally scrumptious and I think it should be the star of the show. I hope you can come to a decision on something that will make you happy each and every day.

LOL, Pix!!! I knew she would love soprano's ring- how could you not?

BTW- I love the new pic of your daughter in your avatar....She kind of looks like me when I was a little girl...What a cutie!!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Pix, cant you see how there is somewhat of a resemblance? Here is a recent pic of me and hubs (sorry to hijack, Goo)!!!!

pslittlepic2.jpg

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 10:52:02 PM
Pix, cant you see how there is somewhat of a resemblance? Here is a recent pic of me and hubs (sorry to hijack, Goo)!!!!
Whoa, that is wild! I CAN see the resemblance. I''d be delighted if she grew up to be as pretty as you! She''s only 6 but I think she''s feeling 26 in this photo.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 10:45:05 PM
Dani,
Good sleuthing on Soprano87''s cushion! Her set is spectacular. Scarlet16 also has a heavenly 1.5 carat cushion in that setting but with bright cut pave, so it''s been done with great success already, and it''s so bizarre that he''s digging in his heels on this.

I fully agree there''s a combination of things going on, one of which is the rivalry (it likely goes both ways, but Mark is more gentlemanly about it - I do remember Mark taking a little jab at Leon when I told him that Leon had a cushion to sell me); secondly, you''re right, he probably doesn''t make loads on the solitaires, and more and more of us are wanting them because they''re so darn stunning.

But, Scarlet bought her stone from Mark! Btw, your mini-me looks very pretty in your new avatar.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a cushion set with half moons and I think it is gorgeous. LM''s name for this setting is "Classic". I love the bullets on the end. LM might not like working with them but the half moons make a beautiful setting.

LMcushion.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
20.gif
Ears! The man just has issues and should just not talk so muchl

Here''s what I''d want with you cushion. Proportions a little different and single prongs because of the size of your stone. But this 5 stone would be THE setting if that gorgeous stone of yours was mine.
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Opps, forgot the pic!

gypsydream5stone.JPG

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
goobear, yours'' definitely a beautiful stone. Congrats!!
1.gif

Do you like halo? I personally think that chunky cushions (8 pav mains but not the "modern" one) look best in solitaire and thin pave shank because they tend to look more pillowy than the modern cushions. For squarish stones like yours, I *think* it would look gorgeous in thin halo like the Harry Winston one. Side stones are never my cup of tea. This is just my personal preference but would like to suggest you consider halo as one of your options.
28.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 11:27:58 PM
Date: 9/18/2008 10:52:02 PM

Whoa, that is wild! I CAN see the resemblance. I''d be delighted if she grew up to be as pretty as you! She''s only 6 but I think she''s feeling 26 in this photo.

Why thank you!! She is a very adorable girl....what a little miss!!!! She certainly looks like she has a personality on her (another similarity to me-LOL!!!!)

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
GB your stone is lovely!!

but i agree with MrsSalvo. halfmoons take away from a cushion and IMHO are not very flattering.

go with what makes your heart sing as you lay in bed at night imaging your diamond on your finger!!!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 10:30:36 PM

Date: 9/18/2008 10:24:38 PM
Oh well....They really need to get over this beef that has been going on for yrs between them- MH and I worked with Mark in ''05 and I remember feeling those bad vibes between Mark and Leon then ( I almost went with Leon for my setting, but then decided to go with Mark last minute). So this is not a new thing at all....unfortunately, its been going on for awhile now!
Interesting and kinda sad. I just figured it was a new thing. Something going on that long might be hard to get over, but I think they are a perfect fit. Mark finds killer stones and Leon does amazing work. I agree they need to get over it and work together (on my ring...LOL), but then I don''t know what the ''history'' is. Anyone have any idea?
Hi Dani, Hi goobear78! I''ve been following the thread, I haven''t responded because I think you are getting excelent suggestions. I jumped in to this discussion because it was very obvious when working with ERD that they don''t like eachother. My initial thought is because Mark is desigining settings as well. When we mentioned that we wanted Leon to do my setting...MT mentioned that he could do exactly what we wanted. I have to admit that we felt a little presured and even entered into the design phase with MT...ultimatley we went in a different direction but I started out wanting to go to Leon. It just so happened that we found exactly what we wanted in my setting some where else. If we hadn''t I might have gone with my inital feeling and gone with Leon. However, I wanted to have complete control over my design. I don''t like that Leon''s opinions have to reason''s other than, "he doesn''t like it". He made you cry over your stone, I mean...common. That just stinks. He doesn''t have to look at your hand for the rest of your life. He only has to look at it for the few weeks its in his studio. My point is, you should get what you want, regardless if he likes it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results