shape
carat
color
clarity

My Appointment with Leon Mege

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Swingirl & Gypsy - I think you both posted the same ring. It is beautiful. Not sure if I can carry off all that bling. LOL.

Gypsy - why do you mention single prongs? Just wondering because Leon said with my size I have to do double prongs or it might fall-out.

sillysweetie - I do really like the halo design and that''s the one that Leon actually stated would do best. His second favorite would be the pears. This weekend I plan to go setting shopping. Hey it''s a tough job but somebody''s got to do it right? LOL. That way I can see some of these setting styles in person and see how they look on my hand. I''ll definitely keep the halo option there!

Eva17 - Thanks! I''m not sure what makes my heart sing yet, but i love that idea for picking out a setting! I''ve been waiting for a setting to sing to me!

Emeraldlover1 - Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, I also felt a little pressure from Mark to get my setting from him. Which I thought was funny because he never pressured me about a stone! But I don''t know if some of that came from Mark not wanting to loose a sale to Leon. That was the feeling I got. And I''m convinced Leon was rude for the sake of putting down ERD since he knew where I got my stone. You setting is beautiful, if you don''t mind me asking, where did you end up getting your setting from?

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know how Leon gets his platinum to look so amazing? Any idea? See even thought he''s a bit of an a**, I don''t think anyone compares to the quality of his platinum. It just flows like water. He has beautiful lines and that''s one reason why I am willing to work with him because his stuff is just so darn spectacular.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i own two leon pieces--my whiteflash ring is just as high quality. its not the platinum quality itself..........its the designs. they are very finely executed.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 10:22:49 AM
Author: goobear78
Swingirl & Gypsy - I think you both posted the same ring. It is beautiful. Not sure if I can carry off all that bling. LOL.

Gypsy - why do you mention single prongs? Just wondering because Leon said with my size I have to do double prongs or it might fall-out.

sillysweetie - I do really like the halo design and that's the one that Leon actually stated would do best. His second favorite would be the pears. This weekend I plan to go setting shopping. Hey it's a tough job but somebody's got to do it right? LOL. That way I can see some of these setting styles in person and see how they look on my hand. I'll definitely keep the halo option there!

Eva17 - Thanks! I'm not sure what makes my heart sing yet, but i love that idea for picking out a setting! I've been waiting for a setting to sing to me!

Emeraldlover1 - Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, I also felt a little pressure from Mark to get my setting from him. Which I thought was funny because he never pressured me about a stone! But I don't know if some of that came from Mark not wanting to loose a sale to Leon. That was the feeling I got. And I'm convinced Leon was rude for the sake of putting down ERD since he knew where I got my stone. You setting is beautiful, if you don't mind me asking, where did you end up getting your setting from?
my stone is 5 carats and has single prongs--that is simply not true--its what HE prefers to do.....................

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Good to know bgray!

Now I''m second guessing everything. The stone, the setting. Ugh. I paid $13,400 for my stone. Did I overpay for what I got?

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
te:[/b] 9/19/2008 11:18:53 AM
Author: bgray
my stone is 5 carats and has single prongs--that is simply not true--its what HE prefers to do.....................[/quote]

5 Carats. WOW. DO you have a picture?
3.gif

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 11:42:00 AM
Good to know bgray!

Now I''m second guessing everything. The stone, the setting. Ugh. I paid $13,400 for my stone. Did I overpay for what I got?
NO-your stone is STUNNING. 1 ratio cushions are not easy to find either. Dont second guess. Decide on your setting. Then pick a jeweler to execute it. Another top quality custom jeweler is McTiegue & McClelland. Its not the bulk of their business but they do some of the finest workmanship I have ever seen.

Personally I would set your stone in a claw pronged basket with straight bullets set into the sides of the band. --add a bead set eternity ring and you willl be very happy

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i will take a picture later. my personal feeling is that less is usually more. my first mounting was like the bride of frankenstein. yes stunning and well made but just too too much............if that makes sense

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 11:55:54 AM
i will take a picture later. my personal feeling is that less is usually more. my first mounting was like the bride of frankenstein. yes stunning and well made but just too too much............if that makes sense

That makes sense. I''m a less is more girl too! Can''t wait to see the photo. I bet it''s stunning!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 11:52:28 AM
Date: 9/19/2008 11:42:00 AM

Good to know bgray!

NO-your stone is STUNNING. 1 ratio cushions are not easy to find either. Dont second guess. Decide on your setting. Then pick a jeweler to execute it. Another top quality custom jeweler is McTiegue & McClelland. Its not the bulk of their business but they do some of the finest workmanship I have ever seen.

Personally I would set your stone in a claw pronged basket with straight bullets set into the sides of the band. --add a bead set eternity ring and you willl be very happy

Thanks bgray. You know when you just start to over-think everything and your brain turns to mush, that''s kinda how I''ve been feeling. Your setting suggestions are great! I''ll be sure to check out M&M!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 1:03:51 PM
I see what you mean about the cushion loosing some of it''s shape with the half moons. I felt that way a bit when I saw the pears with my cushion yesterday. The pears were beautiful, but my perfectly square cushion lost its uniqueness a bit. I wonder if half moons go best with oval cushions.

So now that you all have seen my stone, if it was yours, what setting would you get? It doesn''t have to be Leon, I''m just interested in your opinions so I can get out of my head for a bit and see what others would do. Some of you have already listed some great settings and it''s helped a lot. So if you don''t mind, I''d love see more!
If I had your stone, I would stick with Mark and get the Novo inspired setting. I think the shape of your cushion lends itself to it and it would be outstanding and highlight how huge your diamond is!

A friend of mine just got one from Mark and is over the moon about it.

melusine

Rough_Rock
Hi Goobear,

I'm smalltowngirl's daughter. It was such a tease to describe my ring and not show it to you! Mom knows I'm not a very good photographer...but see below anyway. (The stone is a 3.01 carat F VS2 cushion modified brilliant.)

My fiance and I are overwhelmingly happy with my ring. Also, I could not have been happier with my experience with Mark and Theodore. The process of choosing the stone and designing the ring was fun, fast, and flawless.

I will be back on Monday with more pictures and a full, glowing review of M & T in "Show Me the Ring." In the meantime, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the ring or working with M & T on a setting.

- Melusine

Front of Ring 1.jpg

melusine

Rough_Rock
and the side:

Basket 1.jpg

melusine

Rough_Rock
and another angle:

Another angle.jpg

melusine

Rough_Rock
and, lastly, on my hand!

On hand.jpg

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
WOW!!!!
30.gif

Melusine, your ring is drop dead gorgeous! I love your setting and your pictures are great. Cant' wait to see more!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 11:55:54 AM

bgray, I want you to know that I second everything you have said. I cant emphasise enough the concept of keeping things simple and `less`. The fancier the design the more likely you are to tire of it and even grow to hate it!!!!!!

I especially think for those who put in so much effort with their diamonds to get excellent cuts etc....make the diamond the star of the setting. And keeping it simple means more options for the wedding band!!!!!

And for me a diamond wedding band is the icing on the cake.

I also have personal experience with the over the top setting. Its nice, fun and in your face...but ultimately you just want something that is easy on the eye.

However a set with diamond wedding band is so hard to beat imo.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:51:23 AM
Author: Harriet

Date: 9/18/2008 10:45:05 PM
Author: pixley
Dani,
Good sleuthing on Soprano87's cushion! Her set is spectacular. Scarlet16 also has a heavenly 1.5 carat cushion in that setting but with bright cut pave, so it's been done with great success already, and it's so bizarre that he's digging in his heels on this.
But, Scarlet bought her stone from Mark! Btw, your mini-me looks very pretty in your new avatar.
I know, as did Soprano87, which is so cwazy. Maybe tensions have ramped up recently. Thank you, Dani and Harriet, for the sweet notes about the mini-me (or should I say Mini-Dani
3.gif
).

Melusine, your ERD/Theodore ring is GORGEOUS!
30.gif

Goobear - are you going to give it one more college try and see if you can't sweet talk that ol' Leon into a solitaire? He has said before that he will do what his customers want, even if/when he doesn't agree... Failing that, Melusine's ring is to-die-for!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 1:49:51 PM
Author: pixley

Goobear - are you going to give it one more college try and see if you can''t sweet talk that ol'' Leon into a solitaire? He has said before that he will do what his customers want, even if/when he doesn''t agree... Failing that, Melusine''s ring is to-die-for!

Yes, I figured I''d wait till the weekend, get my "setting thoughts" a little straighter
21.gif
and give Leon a call...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, melusine what a gorgeous ring!!! Thanks for sharing!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/19/2008 3:53:27 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Wow, melusine what a gorgeous ring!!! Thanks for sharing!
Wow is right!!!!
30.gif

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
goobear78--this is my good friends ring that she had WF custom make the mounting for. She has an oval but it would look great with a square cushion like yours.

cellinimounting.jpg

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 12:30:53 AM
goobear78--this is my good friends ring that she had WF custom make the mounting for. She has an oval but it would look great with a square cushion like yours.

Bgray-how many carats in that center stone?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 3:02:26 PM

Yes, I figured I''d wait till the weekend, get my ''setting thoughts'' a little straighter
21.gif
and give Leon a call...
Goobear, I have been following this thread with interest. I really really think a solitaire is the best bet for you - it will complement your stone perfectly, and seeing as you are undecided I just think it will be "safer".
imho, moons or baguettes need to be for people who are really taken with them.
And a solitaire leaves you with so many options for wedding bands, stackers etc
30.gif

Personally, if Leon has repeatedly expressed a distaste at doing a solitaire for my stone, I wouldn''t want to "force" him for fear of him not being into doing the best job, kwim?
ERD and MM''s are equally as gorgeous..let us know how you go !

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too have been thinking about you goobear. Have you made a decision?

For what it''s worth, my advice is to follow your heart. If it''s a solitaire you want, find someone who shares your vision, there are other vendors besides Leon. I''m of the "less is more" camp myself, so I think it would look lovely in a solitaire setting.
5.gif

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
2 carats
Date: 9/23/2008 2:08:41 AM
Author: somehowcollide

Date: 9/23/2008 12:30:53 AM

Bgray-how many carats in that center stone?

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Leon made a flush-fit solitaire and wedding band for FI and I. He told FI flat out that he doesn''t like the flush fit look, that he prefers his rings to be worn solo, but then he said that ''what the lady wants, the lady gets'' and he never made another peep about it. He also told FI our 1.37ct RB (which is circa 7.15mm) was "huge" for a simple solitaire.

In person, we definitely found him direct, even blunt, but not to the point of being rude. We figured he just seemed blunt to us because we''re so used to a beat-around-the-bush approach here in Ireland!

Good luck with your project goobear, your stone is beautiful and I am sure your setting will be gorgeous. I think you have fabulous taste and I''ve loved all of the ideas you''ve thrown out on here so far...

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
bgray - your friend''s ring is lovely! Thanks for posting. WF does such a good job!

Arjunajane - I am also still leaning towards a solitaire and I agree that I''m not sure I want to work with Leon since he stated his feelings on the solitaire setting so clearly. My husband doesn''t want me to work with him after the way he behaved, but he is leaving the decision up to me.

Ellen - thank you, I haven''t make a decision yet, but I am leaning towards a solitaire. I''m not crazy about the pears or the moons with my stone and I don''t know about the pave, but I think I''d rather get a simple solitaire and maybe a five stone diamond ring for my wb.
31.gif

Delster - Leon also told me how much he dislikes flush-fits and that he doesn''t even like wedding bands, which I thought was very funny considering his business. He is an artist and wants each of his rings to "stand alone" or at least that''s what he told me. I an understand that. Thanks for the kind words! I tired to take my mind off of it this weekend to see where I stand but I still don''t know. Everything looks nice. Too bad I don''t have more diamonds and more hands. LOL. Do you have any photos of your ring? I''d love to see it!
3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 10:50:20 AM

Ellen - thank you, I haven''t make a decision yet, but I am leaning towards a solitaire. I''m not crazy about the pears or the moons with my stone and I don''t know about the pave, but I think I''d rather get a simple solitaire and maybe a five stone diamond ring for my wb.
31.gif
Say, I like how you think.
9.gif
Sounds yummy.
2.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 11:27:00 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 9/23/2008 10:50:20 AM

31.gif
Say, I like how you think.
9.gif
Sounds yummy.
2.gif

Now if I can only get my DH to agree. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results