shape
carat
color
clarity

My Appointment with Leon Mege

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 9:58:55 AM
Author: bgray
please let us know what you decide--everything --good and bad happens for a reason.

I promise I''ll keep you all updated!
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
His stuff is really nice!

Didn''t I see a thread a while back that WF does good claw prongs. Any one have any photos?

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
Bless your heart. As it has alredy been said, this should be a happy and exciting time for you, and *I* think your cushion is STUNNING. Take a look at Mark Morrell''s work. His artistry with platinum is amazing and would be a lovely compliment to your beautiful stone. FWIW, I wouldn''t bother letting Leon know your decision. He''ll get the message.

Good luck to you!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 11:58:31 AM
Author: Dogmom
Bless your heart. As it has alredy been said, this should be a happy and exciting time for you, and *I* think your cushion is STUNNING. Take a look at Mark Morrell''s work. His artistry with platinum is amazing and would be a lovely compliment to your beautiful stone. FWIW, I wouldn''t bother letting Leon know your decision. He''ll get the message.

Good luck to you!

Thanks Dogmom! I''m really digging Mark''s work.

I''m not sure if Leon would even give me or my stone a second thought if I don''t call him. My guess is no. I called him last Friday about the pears he was holding and he forgot who I was. No joke. He thought I was a real estate broker.

He also made is very clear to me that Pricescope was just a small portion of his work.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Goobear, I have nothing brilliant to add to your thread. But I have been following it and it just made me so sad to read about you doubting such a beautiful, HUGE rock because of one person''s issues. I''m sure I would have reacted the same way in your shoes, especially after dealing with your loss of your original wedding set.

I''m glad to hear you chose to work with another designer. I wouldn''t be willing to give someone who''d upset me that much my $ either. I do appreciate you and others who''ve honestly posted about their experiences with him, I''m sure it''s not easy to do.

I think Maytal Hannah''s work is gorgeous! She also sounds like a pleasant person to work with, which for a lot of us- like me- is important too. (She and Van Craeynest are on my short list of designers who''s work I covet for a reset someday... much later!)

Good luck with the setting project and enjoy your gorgeous (HUGE!) new cushion
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 11:42:31 AM
Author: goobear78

Didn't I see a thread a while back that WF does good claw prongs. Any one have any photos?
Yes, they do, do nice prongs goo. I can't remember where those pics were, if I think of it/find it, I'll post it here. But what I would suggest doing is call WF and ask to speak to Lesley, tell her you'd like to see some pics and I'm sure she can send you some. And btw, she is an absolute dream to work with.
2.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Goobear,
I also wanted to add that your cushion is magnificent and ideally sized in my books and shame on Leon for going where he did. I can't wait to see how you set it, since the setters that have been recommended (Maytal, ERD and WF) all have fantastic pieces posted on this board (the only new name to me is Bilgore, whose work looks incredible from the link that Ellen posted). I especially love Maytal's work on Demelza's EC three stone. It's a very elegant and fluid ring; beautifully finished.

Anyhoo, know that we all stand behind you and your beautiful stone.

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
oops! sorry i wasn''t up-to-date. still sending lots of happy vibes your way!
35.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 8:40:39 PM
Author: pixley
Goobear,

I also wanted to add that your cushion is magnificent and ideally sized in my books and shame on Leon for going where he did. I can''t wait to see how you set it, since the setters that have been recommended (Maytal, ERD and WF) all have fantastic pieces posted on this board (the only new name to me is Bilgore, whose work looks incredible from the link that Ellen posted). I especially love Maytal''s work on Demelza''s EC three stone. It''s a very elegant and fluid ring; beautifully finished.

Anyhoo, know that we all stand behind you and your beautiful stone.

Thanks so much Pixley! You''re right, there are a ton of fantastic options and I''m really excited to explore them all.

I also want to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has posted on this thread, shared your opinions, support and positive attitudes. You''ve all helped me so much and made my ring process very special. I''m actually getting really excited to work on a setting again after my initial disappointment.

36.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 10:38:46 PM
Author: mommy2iz
oops! sorry i wasn''t up-to-date. still sending lots of happy vibes your way!
35.gif

Thank you! Keep''em coming. I''m always in the need of happy vibes.
2.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Hey Goobear - I was thinking about you tonight. Did you make a decision on your setting and jeweler yet? I feel like we are diamond sisters given our timing and the "issues" we went through. My boyfriend told me today that he actually hasn''t made a decision on the setting yet. He can''t make up his mind and is worried about making the wrong decision. I am of no help because I can''t make up my mind either. Sometimes I want a halo .. sometimes I don''t. Sometimes I want a simple solitare in a pave band .. other times I want one like the Daniel K split crown!

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 12:56:47 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
Hey Goobear - I was thinking about you tonight. Did you make a decision on your setting and jeweler yet? I feel like we are diamond sisters given our timing and the ''issues'' we went through. My boyfriend told me today that he actually hasn''t made a decision on the setting yet. He can''t make up his mind and is worried about making the wrong decision. I am of no help because I can''t make up my mind either. Sometimes I want a halo .. sometimes I don''t. Sometimes I want a simple solitare in a pave band .. other times I want one like the Daniel K split crown!

Yes, I''ve been thinking about your situation too!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 9:04:03 AM
Author: somehowcollide

Hey Goobear - I was thinking about you tonight. Did you make a decision on your setting and jeweler yet? I feel like we are diamond sisters given our timing and the ''issues'' we went through. My boyfriend told me today that he actually hasn''t made a decision on the setting yet. He can''t make up his mind and is worried about making the wrong decision. I am of no help because I can''t make up my mind either. Sometimes I want a halo .. sometimes I don''t. Sometimes I want a simple solitare in a pave band .. other times I want one like the Daniel K split crown!

Yes, I''ve been thinking about your situation too!
Count me in too!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
My latest update is that I''m still trying to figure out what I want.
1.gif
Really, I took about two weeks and didn''t think about it at all, just so I could start fresh.

I think I''ve got it now. I''m working with Mark to find two small (.30 - .40ct) cushions to use as side stones in the ring. So essentially, it would be a three stone ring with small cushions on either side. If that doesn''t work out or doesn''t look right (depending on what Mark can source), then I''m sticking with a solitaire.

I''ll continue to keep you all updated. For now my stone is still wrapped up in the envelope Mark gave me when I bought it. Every night I take it out and look at it. My husband thinks I''ve got a problem. LOL.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
How exciting! Are you still going with Leon?

By the way, what size is your finger?

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ooohh, a 3-stone!

Sounds absolutely YUMMY.

Been SERIOUSLY considering one myself.

I mean SERIOUSLY.

Good luck, and I can''t wait to see pics. Am happy to see that you have moved on to bigger, better, and sparklier rings!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for checking in goo, I''ll be watching this space.
4.gif

bulldogg

Rough_Rock
This topic has got me so worked up that I have to give up lurking and identify myself;-) So here´s my first post:

It´s crazy! It´s like buying a dress from someone that doesn´t think you have the figure for it, or going to a vet that despices your breed. Lets face it, our diamonds aren´t just stones to us, are they? They are a part of our personality, something we have put much money and efforts in. When I buy a dress, I wan´t to feel beautiful. When I go to the vet, I want him/her to both like and really care about my dog.

I don´t envy you to have to get a new ering. But you have an oppertunity to make the perfect ring, IF you find the perfect person to help you. I don´t think it would be worth it even if Leon made the most beautiful ring. He won´t make it feel special for you. I´d take my gorgeous stone to someone with a smaller ego, and make a really nice ring -with that stone any "simple" solitaire will look amazing!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I think Leon''s wife''s ER is a 3- stone cushion.
2.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 9:10:35 PM
Author: bebe
I think Leon''s wife''s ER is a 3- stone cushion.
2.gif

Wow. How big must that be? LOL.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 12:01:51 PM
How exciting! Are you still going with Leon?

By the way, what size is your finger?

My finger size is 5.5.

I''m not sure who I would have make the ring. I still don''t even know if I want three cushions. I''ll know better when I see them. Hopefully.
1.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock

I totally feel like we are diamond sisters. We also have very similar taste. I also love the Daniel Split crown. It''s funny, I was just thinking about your setting too. I know how it is to go back and forth on a setting. I go back and forth multiples times in a hour. LOL. I think your ring will be lovely whichever setting you choose since you got such a killer stone! Have you tried the settings your like on at a store? That might help. Not that it helped me much, I just wanted them all. LOL. Good luck and be sure to keep us posted too on your setting!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The first ring we ever tried on together was the Daniel K split crown. This was 3 or 4 years ago and it holds a special spot for both of us.

Trying on rings doesn''t help me much because I like them on and want them all. I just can''t get something too big or crazy because my finger is a size 3. I don''t want something too overwhelming or flashy - just something delicate, feminine, and unique. My boyfriend and I usually have very similar taste and agree on almost everything. BUT I just found out he really likes the the criss cross design of Lucida and wanted to combine it with a thin split shank and have pave all over. Now, I do like the Lucida but it''s just not for me! He thinks what I have picked out will turn out bad in real life and I won''t end up liking it. He did say ... it''s my ring so he will go with what I like. I am just not sure :razz:

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Just a tiny update, I''m going to see Mark today who called in two sets of cushions for my possible three stone ring. So exciting! I''ll let you know what happens and what I think of them. I only wish I remembered to bring my camera. DOH.
26.gif

smalltowngirl

Rough_Rock
Ooh......you''re filling me with anticipation. Can''t wait to read a report of your visit! Hope it goes well and Mark has exactly what you want.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I''m back from Mark''s.

Poor Mark he''s having trouble with his website, but just so you all know, he''s there and working. BUt the website isn''t fixed yet.

Anyway, on to the stones. :) Unfortunately, neither pair matched, so that was a wash, but they were all nice stones. It''s always great to deal with Mark, he''s such a professional and knows so much.

Since square cushion pairs are so hard to find Mark said we had two options, one: to get them cut directly or two: to go thought a set that has been picked out for a necklace or bracelet. I forget what he called that, or what the technical term for that is.

My personal preference would be to get them cut directly, since it there isn''t a price difference and it would be cut by the same person who cut my center stone. However, I am concerned because neither option comes with a certificate. What do you think about uncertified side stones? I''m not sure I''m comfortable with that. So I''d love to hear PS member thoughts on that.

Also, I need to figure out what size shape works best. My center is a 1.75 and I looked at .30 and .40 today. Mark said he was leaning towards the .40, which looked very nice, but I also really liked the .30 because I''m not looking for side stones that overwhelm my center stone. I want them to accent the center stone and compliment it without overkill. I''m not looking for the classic 3 stone ring where the sizes match or are about 1/2 the size. So anyone have any thoughts on this? I know it is a personal preference and I''m not sure which one I like best. Next to my center stone, both sizes looked great.

So that''s my day of diamond shopping, any help, thoughts, input would be greatly appreciated.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, goo, I wish you took some pics....But I have to say, I have to agree with you re: wanting the side stones to accent the center stone rather than possibly overwhelming it. I cant wait to see what you choose!!!
36.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am sure whatever you choose will be beautiful. I want to know who cut my stone - how did you find out?

lesco

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Goobear,

It's good that you are taking the time to figure out what you want. Mark is a good guy! I am glad he was able to find you a beautiful stone.

About Leon and the smaller stone comment.... You know, I "hired" him to do a setting on .82 carat stone (6mm round). On my initial consultation with him, I discussed something along the lines of a solitaire. His response to me was: "Well, for a smaller stone like yours, I really recommend a halo, that would really highlight and complement your diamond". I giggled! You know why? If you go through his website, you will see a whole lot of big honkers so yes, in his world my stone is definitely small. The funny thing is along with the big kahunas you will see my "smaller" stone in his catalogue! Go figure!

So yes, he did do a halo for me. I got the ring a couple weeks back. I'm still louping the thing and I cannot find one flaw. So yes, the man is eccentric but his work is impeccable.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results