shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

goldielox

Rough_Rock
I am definitely looking for something that flows a bit more organically this time. It was one of my earlier rings and I have refined my tastes more now. I saw versions on James Allen and Diamonds by Lauren that didn’t have the edges sticking up on the tapers that I liked a bit more. I am still stuck design and if I want to do hand engraving or not so I am playing around with a few different looks.

To get the tapers more dainty, I definitely think the smaller ones I mentioned at 4x2.5x2 would look good and be plenty dainty for your center stone. Get a quote and see what she comes back with. That might help with your decision making. You can have them quote for platinum and rose gold. I don’t remember what the cost was for just the stone I got because they only gave me a total price at the time. It was higher than normal because it was cut at an odd size 9.5x8. I am going to guess it was somewhere around $250 but your’s will probably be closer to $200 in that size.

B7BAF0C9-CB7C-4FED-A4B3-0CDD373777DA.jpeg

Totally agree on the flow of the ring in a more organic fashion, couldn't have said it better myself haha What kind of hand graving were you thinking of getting done? I'm thinking about adding a very subtle halo with pave, but haven't seen any tapered rings with one yet.

I just heard back from Cherry and she seemed optimistic about working on getting the ring to my liking. Coincidentally I also heard back from my local jeweler who is estimating at $2600 for the setting now, so at this point, I am content with giving SG a chance with their CAD's. The tapers I saw in store were 4x2mm, so you're right on the money about the size. I know you mentioned before about the baguettes from SG not being as brilliant, do you think with 4x2mm's it won't be as apparent?

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Totally agree on the flow of the ring in a more organic fashion, couldn't have said it better myself haha What kind of hand graving were you thinking of getting done? I'm thinking about adding a very subtle halo with pave, but haven't seen any tapered rings with one yet.

I just heard back from Cherry and she seemed optimistic about working on getting the ring to my liking. Coincidentally I also heard back from my local jeweler who is estimating at $2600 for the setting now, so at this point, I am content with giving SG a chance with their CAD's. The tapers I saw in store were 4x2mm, so you're right on the money about the size. I know you mentioned before about the baguettes from SG not being as brilliant, do you think with 4x2mm's it won't be as apparent?
I think the baguettes in the tapers were not too bad since the center stone more than makes up for the lack of sparkle. The disappointing one was the half eternity with just baguettes. I don’t think there is enough sparkle with baguettes alone and I would suggest that they be combined with rounds to give them more personality.

I am going to share a few pictures with you and the CAD that I am working on with my son’s company in Sweden. This is the first draft of the CAD but as you can see, the tapers flow directly into the shank. I haven’t added any of the design details yet but I don’t mind if you share this with Cherry if you are happy with this type of look. I am also attaching a picture of a Diamond by Lauren image I had saved that showed the hidden halo but I don’t think I am going to do. I believe there are 10 small diamonds that are 1 mm each. They might have to be smaller if the center stone is smaller but you can at least get the idea. The last picture is a version with hand engraving that I came across but I am still not sure which direction I will go. I like the hand engraving in that picture but not the angle of the tapers. That is another thing to consider - you can have the tapers angled down or sticking straight out. It changes the view slightly from the top down. I like it both ways but since my center stone this time is 119, i think I need to angle them back

D74B7C96-7217-4EF5-9BB3-2FAAB585C3C0.png EA632310-600F-4A56-904E-7A44659CEF53.jpeg AD2F0658-C670-4336-98E0-9AD030AAB8D4.jpeg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Okay so I want almost the exact ring that elle_71125, without going the August Vintage route. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...age-cushion-ring-by-david-klass.240006/page-3 https://www.instagram.com/p/BhbkeXLB_a2/?taken-by=elle_71125
What should I ask SG for? Just show them pictures and mention chunky facets? Someone mentioned cutlet size. I'm not familiar with that at all so is there a good size I should ask for? Thank you!
The best place to start is to save some pictures of the style of ring you are looking for with several views. I would suggest figuring out the dimensions of the stone that you are after instead of the equivalent carat weight. If you are after an elongated antique cushion cut, I would suggest the version with the long thin culet which is how August Vintage cuts the stones as well. I think it gives the most realistic diamond look if that is what you are after.

I am not sure if you want rose gold but let SG know that and an approximate idea of how wide you would like the band to be and your ring size. You can email Cherry Zheng at [email protected]. This will give her enough information to give you a quote. If you are happy with the price and you get to the point where they generate a CAD for you, we can help you out with the dimensions.

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
The best place to start is to save some pictures of the style of ring you are looking for with several views. I would suggest figuring out the dimensions of the stone that you are after instead of the equivalent carat weight. If you are after an elongated antique cushion cut, I would suggest the version with the long thin culet which is how August Vintage cuts the stones as well. I think it gives the most realistic diamond look if that is what you are after.

I am not sure if you want rose gold but let SG know that and an approximate idea of how wide you would like the band to be and your ring size. You can email Cherry Zheng at [email protected]. This will give her enough information to give you a quote. If you are happy with the price and you get to the point where they generate a CAD for you, we can help you out with the dimensions.

Thanks so much for responding! I really appreciate it. I'm going to use the elongated cushion dimensions on the August Vintage site for measurements for 2.5 carats (8.5mm x 7.7mm) and ask for a long thin cutlet. I haven't decided if I want SG to make the setting or send the stone out to David Klass. I feel kinda silly wanting a more expensive setting for such a "cheap" stone. May just go through SG then upgrade later. Have there been any comparisons between SG and Tianyu's ACCs?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for responding! I really appreciate it. I'm going to use the elongated cushion dimensions on the August Vintage site for measurements for 2.5 carats (8.5mm x 7.7mm) and ask for a long thin cutlet. I haven't decided if I want SG to make the setting or send the stone out to David Klass. I feel kinda silly wanting a more expensive setting for such a "cheap" stone. May just go through SG then upgrade later. Have there been any comparisons between SG and Tianyu's ACCs?
So the moissanite equivalent carat size for the elongated cushion would be a 9x7. It gets a little more difficult and expensive for them to cut the moissanite’s in a very non-standard size like you mentioned above.

I think there will be a difference in this case between SG making the ring and DK. If you want a pave band, they will be using moissanites and the smaller moissanites only come in colorless. It is not so obvious that the color will be different than the center stone but they do seem to throw a lot more rainbow’s to me. My bezel ring at the top is made with 2mm rounds in E/F. If DK were to make the ring, he would be using diamonds and that will add cost to the ring but the quality from him will be amazing. If this is a ring you plan on wearing all the time, it might be worth the extra cost but if this is a secondary ring or you are on a budget, SG can still produce a pretty nice version.

I am checking with someone who bought the Tianyu ACC and has a picture of it next to her August Vintage diamond so you can see the difference between the culet. I don’t like to post other people’s pictures unless they say it is ok. If not, I know that Sezzwho has a picture of her elongated ACC on the Tianyu thread. I think it is in the first 5 or so pages. They use a large culet and you will see more of the petals in their cut vs the SG version which looks more like a bunch of chunky tiny mirrors.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Not crazy at all! I’m having DK make my setting because I’m going custom. He’s great to work with, his prices are reasonable, and he’ll do diamond melee. Something you can’t get with these Chinese companies.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
82066BAD-A50C-4A7A-AB81-26D28458C63C.jpeg AF7D4DE5-172A-4189-83E8-CD00B35815D7.jpeg @goldielox I have a pictures of an AVC from August Vintage. It is M color and a little over a carat. I also have an ACC moissy from Tianyu so that you can see a comparison. The culet is completely different on the stone from Tianyu. I prefer the August Vintage culet and would recommend Starsgem for that.
B7B2D220-29E2-4E90-8908-9B685CC85AF6.jpeg

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
82066BAD-A50C-4A7A-AB81-26D28458C63C.jpeg AF7D4DE5-172A-4189-83E8-CD00B35815D7.jpeg @goldielox I have a pictures of an AVC from August Vintage. It is M color and a little over a carat. I also have an ACC moissy from Tianyu so that you can see a comparison. The culet is completely different on the stone from Tianyu. I prefer the August Vintage culet and would recommend Starsgem for that.

Thank you so much! This is exactly the info I needed!

goldielox

Rough_Rock
I think the baguettes in the tapers were not too bad since the center stone more than makes up for the lack of sparkle. The disappointing one was the half eternity with just baguettes. I don’t think there is enough sparkle with baguettes alone and I would suggest that they be combined with rounds to give them more personality.

I am going to share a few pictures with you and the CAD that I am working on with my son’s company in Sweden. This is the first draft of the CAD but as you can see, the tapers flow directly into the shank. I haven’t added any of the design details yet but I don’t mind if you share this with Cherry if you are happy with this type of look. I am also attaching a picture of a Diamond by Lauren image I had saved that showed the hidden halo but I don’t think I am going to do. I believe there are 10 small diamonds that are 1 mm each. They might have to be smaller if the center stone is smaller but you can at least get the idea. The last picture is a version with hand engraving that I came across but I am still not sure which direction I will go. I like the hand engraving in that picture but not the angle of the tapers. That is another thing to consider - you can have the tapers angled down or sticking straight out. It changes the view slightly from the top down. I like it both ways but since my center stone this time is 119, i think I need to angle them back

D74B7C96-7217-4EF5-9BB3-2FAAB585C3C0.png EA632310-600F-4A56-904E-7A44659CEF53.jpeg AD2F0658-C670-4336-98E0-9AD030AAB8D4.jpeg
Ohhhh those are gorgeous :kiss2: Thank you for sharing! I like the side small stones next to the baguettes. I think the hand engraving would look amazing with the CAD you have! It adds a nice vintage feel to the antique cut stone and adds a flair of femininity to the boxy baguettes.

That image from Lauren B is what I was thinking of asking Cherry about a hidden Halo or basket pave option. I used it for a reverse image search and found this:
Custom-Three-Stone-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-W-front-102964.jpg This was a custom ring from Shubach and I like the way they pulled the tapers back, like you mentioned. Your note about having them pulled back because of the size of your stone is super important. When I tried on some 4-5ct baguette style rings from a few jewlers in nyc, the spread across my finger looked really off when they weren't angled. But Harry Winston's were pulled back just perfectly which made them look so much less chunky.

I'm excited to see how your ring turns out :D

goldielox

Rough_Rock

Thank you for this!! This comparison is a great example of August Vintages gorgeous cuts for ACCs. If he was in my budget range, he'd be my first choice, but SG is a close second that I'm totally happy with. I can't believe how buttery that color M is from AV:roll2:!

goldielox

Rough_Rock

Also, what dimensions is the Tianyu stone? I like the shape of it and the facets on the AV.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also, what dimensions is the Tianyu stone? I like the shape of it and the facets on the AV.

The Tianyu stone is 7x6 and my ring size is 4.25 for reference.

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
I got a 9X10 GH color acc like the 2nd photo. The ring is in platinum. Jocie at starsgem was very responsive and the whole process was cery quick. It only took a week to make the setting. Please excuse my dry hairy hand.

78E47675-5881-4122-91F4-EB9D9C104E41.jpeg

ED32FF96-9A6E-4C6A-9B51-72F5433B4EE8.png

92AEE47D-6B8D-4072-9C12-3EFB30F8F4A3.jpeg CEBA9744-BD82-4F71-92AF-E1F6739FFCEA.jpeg AB842AEB-C418-4D7F-B324-0CA62E4447FE.jpeg

AF1DFE0E-B33A-45DF-8BDE-471518BDE2E7.jpeg
EF0830FE-4A8F-4B73-BA97-373C72345665.jpeg 5A603310-18E6-43EB-A859-A9AA82C9B4A9.jpeg F613C467-4E1C-4988-8EED-FC0D998BB931.jpeg

This is the design I’ll be getting! Did you just tell them you wanted a long, thin cutlet? How did you describe the cutlet you wanted?

greenteabiscuit

Rough_Rock
I just asked for the stone in the instagram screenshot I posted above. I wasn’t sure what I wanted at the time so I just took a guess :razz:

This is the design I’ll be getting! Did you just tell them you wanted a long, thin cutlet? How did you describe the cutlet you wanted?

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
I just asked for the stone in the instagram screenshot I posted above. I wasn’t sure what I wanted at the time so I just took a guess :razz:

Thanks! Do you mind if I use your CAD to show Cherry what I want?

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
Got the quote for the stone using AV's 2.5 carat dimensions, but now I'm torn between 1.6mm or 1.8mm for the band width. I'm going to have SG make the ring and then send it DK at a later date when I nail down the design I want.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I
Got the quote for the stone using AV's 2.5 carat dimensions, but now I'm torn between 1.6mm or 1.8mm for the band width. I'm going to have SG make the ring and then send it DK at a later date when I nail down the design I want.
If you are going to do pave, I would definitely go with 1.8 on the width. I don’t know if DK will do less than 1.8 but I know a lot of custom designers don’t like to go down to 1.6 mm. It might depend on how much pave you plan on doing around the shank.

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
I

If you are going to do pave, I would definitely go with 1.8 on the width. I don’t know if DK will do less than 1.8 but I know a lot of custom designers don’t like to go down to 1.6 mm. It might depend on how much pave you plan on doing around the shank.

Yep I was thinking 1.8mm for the pave for DK but for the plain band from SG maybe 1.6mm? Not sure if that's still too thin even without the pave.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Yep I was thinking 1.8mm for the pave for DK but for the plain band from SG maybe 1.6mm? Not sure if that's still too thin even without the pave.
Are you going to do gold or platinum? Their platinum is softer than what they do in the US. It is PT 950 and palladium. If it is a solitaire, I like the knife edge that tapers from 1.8 to 1.6 personally.

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
Are you going to do gold or platinum? Their platinum is softer than what they do in the US. It is PT 950 and palladium. If it is a solitaire, I like the knife edge that tapers from 1.8 to 1.6 personally.

I'm doing rose gold. Cherry sent me a picture of one they've made, and it was quite dreamy so I was sold on rose gold. And my wedding bands are rose gold so that helps.

goldielox

Rough_Rock
As I patiently await my CADs from Cherry, I've now created a separate folder for earrings and necklaces etc. that I plan on eventually having made :roll2:

I asked Cherry if they could make these to match my ring because, why not?
EarringsBaguettesWhite.jpg

goldielox

Rough_Rock

I agree with the sentiment about 1.8mm. I like my rings daintier and from what I've tried on, 1.8 is pretty thin for a band but substantial enough to not feel like dental floss.

f2031f4264d3cfdbc3401d2c9b3d4bcb.jpg

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
I agree with the sentiment about 1.8mm. I like my rings daintier and from what I've tried on, 1.8 is pretty thin for a band but substantial enough to not feel like dental floss.

f2031f4264d3cfdbc3401d2c9b3d4bcb.jpg

Thanks you!! This is crazy helpful and I'm saving it in my jewelry folder!

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
I received my CADs! The first pic is my CAD from Cherry and the second are the current changes I'm requesting. Is there something I missed or could have better explained? Thank you! Drawing.png Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 10.07.41 PM.png

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I received my CADs! The first pic is my CAD from Cherry and the second are the current changes I'm requesting. Is there something I missed or could have better explained? Thank you! Drawing.png Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 10.07.41 PM.png
I think it might actually be double claw prongs but on my CAD’s, they usually showed the prongs standing straight up even when they are double claw. I would confirm with them though to make sure. The rest of your CAD looks good.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
As I patiently await my CADs from Cherry, I've now created a separate folder for earrings and necklaces etc. that I plan on eventually having made :roll2:

I asked Cherry if they could make these to match my ring because, why not?
EarringsBaguettesWhite.jpg
If you make these earrings, I would consider adding a round stone in the center of the bow. The baguettes I have in a half eternity don’t have a whole lot of sparkle. I like the look of almost all of my moissanites except for the baguettes. They look very flat and dull. Adding a round will help give it a bit more sparklee.

goldielox

Rough_Rock
If you make these earrings, I would consider adding a round stone in the center of the bow. The baguettes I have in a half eternity don’t have a whole lot of sparkle. I like the look of almost all of my moissanites except for the baguettes. They look very flat and dull. Adding a round will help give it a bit more sparklee.

Good save! I double checked the eternity you had made and I can see what you mean. SG quoted me $200+ which seemed a bit high for, 4 teeny tiny baguettes. I can get real diamond earrings for $100 more so I shall be keeping that project on the back burner. SG also quoted me $700 for just a plain platinum band:eek2: which goes for $250 online for the same PT950. I think I will just wait when I get closer to planning my wedding.

I only greenlit the engagement ring, so still waiting on the CAD.....sigh.

goldielox

Rough_Rock

This is going to look soooo pretty! I can't wait til you get it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results