shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Good save! I double checked the eternity you had made and I can see what you mean. SG quoted me $200+ which seemed a bit high for, 4 teeny tiny baguettes. I can get real diamond earrings for $100 more so I shall be keeping that project on the back burner. SG also quoted me $700 for just a plain platinum band:eek2: which goes for $250 online for the same PT950. I think I will just wait when I get closer to planning my wedding.

I only greenlit the engagement ring, so still waiting on the CAD.....sigh.
Sometimes the non-standard items cost a bit more because they have to cut them to order. If you can get diamond ones for a $100 more, I would definitely wait to do that. I can’t believe they quoted $700 for a plain platinum band! I wouldn’t pay that either if you can buy it cheaper over here.

mgw

Rough_Rock
Is it just me, or is this a little crazy?

I approved a CAD with Cherry with measurements of 1.5mm thickness, 1.6mm width. The ring arrived today and is extremely tiny and feels super cheap, so I took out my caliper and measured it. It is 1.2mm both thick and wide! That is SUPER frail. After a lot of back and forth where I finally called her out and said “you’re not willing to admit you made a mistake and this ring was not made to the specifications,” this was Cherry’s response - saying that if I wanted a ring that was 1.6mm, the CAD should’ve said 1.9mm. What??!

4D77D018-F947-4329-BE52-5CFF4C397E76.jpeg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

I approved a CAD with Cherry with measurements of 1.5mm thickness, 1.6mm width. The ring arrived today and is extremely tiny and feels super cheap, so I took out my caliper and measured it. It is 1.2mm both thick and wide! That is SUPER frail. After a lot of back and forth where I finally called her out and said “you’re not willing to admit you made a mistake and this ring was not made to the specifications,” this was Cherry’s response - saying that if I wanted a ring that was 1.6mm, the CAD should’ve said 1.9mm. What??!

Um, wtf? :confused2:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
That doesn’t sound right....I know that both vendors have said that there can be a 1 mm tolerance up or down but 3 or 4 mm is way too much. Sounds like some overpolishing to me. I have noticed that SG has a tendency to be slightly under the measurements on the CAD (at least for my rings), while Tianyu has been way over! I think we need to keep reminding them where we want the measurements of the ring to end up after polishing. I know this is frustrating because no one would know to explicitly give them this direction. Please push back and have them remake this ring for you. I know Michelle has returned a stone before and a few other’s. Try to find the best way to do that safely at the best price. Having a ring at 1.2 mm is way too thin and will bend out of shape too quickly.

Moissamight

Rough_Rock

Wish, could you take a pic of your ring?

mgw

Rough_Rock
That doesn’t sound right....I know that both vendors have said that there can be a 1 mm tolerance up or down but 3 or 4 mm is way too much. Sounds like some overpolishing to me. I have noticed that SG has a tendency to be slightly under the measurements on the CAD (at least for my rings), while Tianyu has been way over! I think we need to keep reminding them where we want the measurements of the ring to end up after polishing. I know this is frustrating because no one would know to explicitly give them this direction. Please push back and have them remake this ring for you. I know Michelle has returned a stone before and a few other’s. Try to find the best way to do that safely at the best price. Having a ring at 1.2 mm is way too thin and will bend out of shape too quickly.

Agreed! I also ordered a Tianyu ring (posted on that thread) and it initially came out waaaay thick compared to the CAD. However, given the experiences others had posted about on that thread, I knew to potentially expect that to be an issue and I asked them to show me the measurements before shipping. When it proved to be made too large (as I had suspected from how bulky it looked), I was able to ask them to remake it to specifications before shipping.

I decided to make this ring with Starsgem because others had reported o the Tianyu thread that Starsgem is better about making the rings to the actual measurements on the CAD, so I didn't even ask for measurements before they sent it. Lesson learned - be super vigilant regardless of where the ring is being made!

I asked Cherry how she'll reimburse the shipping and she asked me how much it will cost, so I'm going to look into rates. I'll keep you all updated!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed! I also ordered a Tianyu ring (posted on that thread) and it initially came out waaaay thick compared to the CAD. However, given the experiences others had posted about on that thread, I knew to potentially expect that to be an issue and I asked them to show me the measurements before shipping. When it proved to be made too large (as I had suspected from how bulky it looked), I was able to ask them to remake it to specifications before shipping.

I decided to make this ring with Starsgem because others had reported o the Tianyu thread that Starsgem is better about making the rings to the actual measurements on the CAD, so I didn't even ask for measurements before they sent it. Lesson learned - be super vigilant regardless of where the ring is being made!

I asked Cherry how she'll reimburse the shipping and she asked me how much it will cost, so I'm going to look into rates. I'll keep you all updated!

USPS with tracking is about $35. Don’t do what I did and save $20 and send it without tracking outside the US. That’s nerve wracking!

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock

:D@michellelynn9175 beat me to it but I was about to say that if you are located in the US it is best to use USPS Priority Mail International and it will cost about $35.00 as she suggested. I just recently had to return a stone to Cherry and that is the method that I used and it took about 10 business days to get there.;)2

I will also say this: I would suggest that you also include the Chinese version of the address on the outside of the package so that they can read it in their own language and there will be no hiccups as to the final delivery. That is what I did..

Reactions: mgw

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I think with both companies, things are getting rushed and mistakes are being made. I have not heard of anyone yet having a ring that was so far off from their CAD by this much though. I will drop her a note tonight just to say that people ordering from the boards will expect their rings to match the CADS. Having to send it back and have it remade is never ideal, but they have mostly been good about it so far. I had someone else’s ring mailed to me so I had to pay for shipping to Canada and Cherry just did a refund through PP. I am not exactly sure of the cost back to China, but I think someone said to use USPS if you are in the States for tracking and it was something like $35.

Reactions: mgw

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

I forgot to ask if you had a picture of the ring? I am curious to see what it looks like....

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been contemplating getting an ACC for a while and finally decided to go for it after seeing so many pretty OMC from SG.

This is my CAD and gem. I can’t wait and hopefully things for smoothly.
Revised drawing.png

:kiss2:I really like that!! I hope everything goes well for you.=)2 Cant wait to see it when you get it.

Mrsemond

Rough_Rock
so here is my newest project
i just emailed to ask about the measurements cause you gals are scaring me now 7B20338ADBDF451FFE73239F347FBE0B.jpg

Mrsemond

Rough_Rock
IMO it’s proportioned very well and looks quite comfortable. I don’t think you have anything to worry about. ;)2

i didnt think so either till i started reading on here and then now im all concerned
so i asked for pics with the measurements matching the cad

so wl c tonight :pray:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
i didnt think so either till i started reading on here and then now im all concerned
so i asked for pics with the measurements matching the cad

so wl c tonight :pray:

I agree with @michellelynn9175 It looks :geek2:great to me, actually that is the kind of design that I prefer.. One that is open well to let the maximum amount of light into the stones and also makes it easy to keep them clean! It's definitely a Win-Win!=)2 It's beautiful! Congratulations..

Mrsemond

Rough_Rock
I agree with @michellelynn9175 It looks :geek2:great to me, actually that is the kind of design that I prefer.. One that is open well to let the maximum amount of light into the stones and also makes it easy to keep them clean! It's definitely a Win-Win!=)2 It's beautiful! Congratulations..
its an inspo from BN with my own touches on it as i choose the measurments on the band width and how i wanted it to taper out and cut down from the prongs so it was less bulky

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
its an inspo from BN with my own touches on it as i choose the measurments on the band width and how i wanted it to taper out and cut down from the prongs so it was less bulky

:kiss2:It turned out beautifully! It's always fun when you can put your own spin on something and make it your own special creation!=)2

Mrsemond

Rough_Rock
So I asked for the measurements and what they will put the cost as

It's been 2 days and no reply ?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
So I asked for the measurements and what they will put the cost as

It's been 2 days and no reply ?

As far as I know they’re closed on weekends. Tonight will be their Monday morning (I think) so I’d expect a response soon.

goldielox

Rough_Rock
Insane that the mm's are so off from the CAD's to real life :confused2:. Even worse to figure it out the hard and go through all this headache. Hopefully, they remedy it and you get the ring you deserve:kiss2:.

I'm slightly worried about my ring, so I made sure to email Cherry about the measurements since she just told me that my 4x2x1mm tapered baguettes aren't possible to cut. Now I have to bump them up to 4x2x1.5mm which I think I can live with. I also asked for video of all 3 stones before they are set just to make sure the color and size works.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Insane that the mm's are so off from the CAD's to real life :confused2:. Even worse to figure it out the hard and go through all this headache. Hopefully, they remedy it and you get the ring you deserve:kiss2:.

I'm slightly worried about my ring, so I made sure to email Cherry about the measurements since she just told me that my 4x2x1mm tapered baguettes aren't possible to cut. Now I have to bump them up to 4x2x1.5mm which I think I can live with. I also asked for video of all 3 stones before they are set just to make sure the color and size works.
Just confirm that you want the ring to end at the measurements on the CAD so that means that they might actually need to change the CAD. I noticed on my last CAD that I said I wanted it 1.8 mm thick and when the revisions came back, it said 1.95 thick so I asked her about that and she said they needed to do that to make it end at 1.8. The early rings that I completed with them, this did not happen so I am not sure what changed. I know it comes down to polishing but if this is what they are going to do, we just need to tell people to be aware of that.

I think I mentioned to you to do 4x2.5x2 on the baguettes. I think you will be ok with 1.5 mm but that is still pretty small. You have to remember that the metal on the end is attaching to the corner of that baguette if you are doing the traditional 3 stone design. If that baguette is super thin, it won’t take much to break it if you knock it hard enough at that thin corner.

goldielox

Rough_Rock
Just confirm that you want the ring to end at the measurements on the CAD so that means that they might actually need to change the CAD. I noticed on my last CAD that I said I wanted it 1.8 mm thick and when the revisions came back, it said 1.95 thick so I asked her about that and she said they needed to do that to make it end at 1.8. The early rings that I completed with them, this did not happen so I am not sure what changed. I know it comes down to polishing but if this is what they are going to do, we just need to tell people to be aware of that.

I think I mentioned to you to do 4x2.5x2 on the baguettes. I think you will be ok with 1.5 mm but that is still pretty small. You have to remember that the metal on the end is attaching to the corner of that baguette if you are doing the traditional 3 stone design. If that baguette is super thin, it won’t take much to break it if you knock it hard enough at that thin corner.

Yeah I reiterated to her that I didn't care what the CAD said, just that the finished product was to my specific mods. The initial ring I was modeling after had the 4x2x1mm baguettes, as I really like the light feel of the ring. I asked multiple times if this was an issue and SG suggested going up to 1.5.

As I've been thinking about the point you made, could my love for really dainty rings be a problem in the future if I bang it? The jeweler's ring that I like doesn't have photos but I found another that is similar to what I want:
malory-emerald-angle__51143.1489259842.650.650.png malory-emerald-y__32316.1489259842.650.650.png
Here are the CAD's from SG. I realized I had sent them a separate image of a pave basket that I liked and wanted the above basket done with pave. They took me in the literal since, which is great for someone who knows what they're talking about, because I obviously don't haha.

Drawing (2).png

In hindsight, I actually kind of like it. I really like the sort of hidden halo that peaks out from under! But I think my heart is really set on having a super-duper-low-set ring. @swaye2010 , do you forsee any structural issues with having such a low set basket or the 1.5mm thickness? I gave them the exact measurements the jeweler had. I'm wondering if I should bump it up? And for anyone else that has comments on the CAD, please comment away!

Below I photoshopped what I wanted and edited the CAD to send back to Cherry:
ering EDITED final.png

ering CAD Edit.png

I don't really like the double prong, I want to nix it. But also concerned that maybe it would be safer to keep? Also, is it me or does it look like the tapers are reversed?! I have possibly been staring at the CAD for too long, ha.

Last edited:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I reiterated to her that I didn't care what the CAD said, just that the finished product was to my specific mods. The initial ring I was modeling after had the 4x2x1mm baguettes, as I really like the light feel of the ring. I asked multiple times if this was an issue and SG suggested going up to 1.5.

As I've been thinking about the point you made, could my love for really dainty rings be a problem in the future if I bang it? The jeweler's ring that I like doesn't have photos but I found another that is similar to what I want:
malory-emerald-angle__51143.1489259842.650.650.png malory-emerald-y__32316.1489259842.650.650.png
Here are the CAD's from SG. I realized I had sent them a separate image of a pave basket that I liked and wanted the above basket done with pave. They took me in the literal since, which is great for someone who knows what they're talking about, because I obviously don't haha.

Drawing (2).png

In hindsight, I actually kind of like it. I really like the sort of hidden halo that peaks out from under! But I think my heart is really set on having a super-duper-low-set ring. @swaye2010 , do you forsee any structural issues with having such a low set basket or the 1.5mm thickness? I gave them the exact measurements the jeweler had. I'm wondering if I should bump it up? And for anyone else that has comments on the CAD, please comment away!

Below I photoshopped what I wanted and edited the CAD to send back to Cherry:
ering EDITED final.png

ering CAD Edit.png

I don't really like the double prong, I want to nix it. But also concerned that maybe it would be safer to keep? Also, is it me or does it look like the tapers are reversed?! I have possibly been staring at the CAD for too long, ha.
I wanted to give you a quick response in case you wanted to get back to Cherry tonight. I see where you are going with your design and I understand some of your concerns. So a few things - I don’t think you have to worry about having double claw prongs. The stone will hold just fine with single claw for your stone size.

Although your tapered baguettes are on the smaller side, I think you might be ok because it will have some structural support from where it meets the metal. It is still pretty thin but if you like dainty rings, you will have to just keep that in mind when doing certain things with it on. I am actually inclined to agree with you about the baguettes being backwards. The top view pictures makes it look like they are backwards and they actually wrote the dimensions in reverse. The side view doesn’t look like they are so I hesitated but that is not something you can just leave to chance. They definitely need to confirm that.

I do like the halo and I think it could be really pretty and not something I have seen done in that way before. I think you will have to show them a profile view as well. I know I linked this picture before but this is a low setting with the same lines in profile. Maybe you can use photoshop to get rid of the hand engraving and show the diamond border on all 3 stones if you don’t have a profile view of the ring you have above.

I should have my CAD’s done of the ring I have been working on with the ACC from Starsgem. I will upload it when it is complete....

DA1A8C6A-E2CD-4D60-8362-EC9E4B57000E.jpeg

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Cherry sent me a video of my ACC ring, and I'm pretty happy with how it turns out from seeing it in the video:kiss2: Can't wait to get it and see.

Mrsemond

Rough_Rock
  • Ok ladies here it is !!!!!:P2 IMG_20181123_122755.jpg IMG_20181123_123020.jpg IMG_20181123_123249.jpg

Mrsemond

Rough_Rock
Picture_20183423023427.jpg

ladies what is this ???? my ring is supposed to be 1ctw .. does this mean it is not ?
should i bring it to a jeweler to have it measured?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results