shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone :)

I have posted in the thread about Golden Bird Jewels as I have ordered a ring from Vijay. Deposit was paid a few days ago.

Then I found this thread and I am wondering if I should have tried SG first!

In any case I will see how the ring from GB turns out but I would like (in the future) to order one of the yellow moissanites in an emerald cut. I saw a gorgeous one on the IG account for SG.

I imagine a large (10-12ct size) moissanite would be quite expensive. This is as a cocktail style ring.

Has anyone ordered one in that kind of size that could tell me what they thought of it and maybe scare me off with the cost :lol:

Thanks

Swaye has purchased canary yellow moissanite and emerald cut moissanite from SG. Hopefully she can give you some info:)

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock

I have posted in the thread about Golden Bird Jewels as I have ordered a ring from Vijay. Deposit was paid a few days ago.

In any case I will see how the ring from GB turns out but I would like (in the future) to order one of the yellow moissanites in an emerald cut. I saw a gorgeous one on the IG account for SG.

I imagine a large (10-12ct size) moissanite would be quite expensive. This is as a cocktail style ring.

Has anyone ordered one in that kind of size that could tell me what they thought of it and maybe scare me off with the cost :lol:

Thanks

SG's prices are so competitive, I'm sure it would be thousands less than going with one of the US brands for that size.

Looking forward to seeing your thread about Golden Bird Jewels. There are a few others Indian sellers that are good too. I'll place them in order of most reviews, pictures and videos:

1. Vijay from Golden Bird (Etsy and Ebay)
2.Ankit from Diamondrensu (Etsy store)
3.Mayur from Antique Diamond Jewel (Etsy)
4. Sahil of Carob Jewels (Etsy and Ebay)

They are all based out of Surat and know each other because I once asked Vijay for a quote on a piece and he said he couldn't do it but then 1 minute later, Ankit wrote to me to say he could do it. So I think they might even be in the same office/building, not sure. Sahil is the newbie on the block but is trying to differentiate himself by focusing on CUT. I really like the way his OEC stones are cut. He doesn't have many reviews on Etsy since he just opened that store a few months ago but is doing well on Ebay. Just know that when they call a stone OFF WHITE, it means KL color, which I happen to love in an antique stone, especially set in 18K yellow gold. Anyway, let us know how your purchase goes on that new thread and feel free to transfer this info over there for people looking to buy from India. I will make some contributions to the thread especially since I just sent a package back from a vendor that is terrible!

Moissamight

Rough_Rock
Can someone please remind me how long it typically takes from putting an order in to receiving your ring if you get a custom cut stone? I’m just curious about the likelihood of getting my ring before Christmas (ordered the 27th). Thanks!

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Swaye has purchased canary yellow moissanite and emerald cut moissanite from SG. Hopefully she can give you some info:)

I noticed that Tianyu came out with vivid yellow moissanite. it's really pretty and looks a lot more like vivid yellow diamonds then their canary color does.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Have done so just now.

Just mentioned I wanted to cover all bases.

I said colourless would mean D/E/F and that I would like a video of the unset stone and also of the finished product before shipping.

Will post on here for you all to pick it apart ;-)

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Have done so just now.

Just mentioned I wanted to cover all bases.

I said colourless would mean D/E/F and that I would like a video of the unset stone and also of the finished product before shipping.

Will post on here for you all to pick it apart ;-)

Very smart to cover all your bases.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Quick question ladies. For those of you that have gone with 14k gold, did you notice any rhodium plating? Mona is telling me they don't plate but doesn't unplated white gold look a little bit golden?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Quick question ladies. For those of you that have gone with 14k gold, did you notice any rhodium plating? Mona is telling me they don't plate but doesn't unplated white gold look a little bit golden?
They don’t call it rhodium plating so they get confused when we say that.

They don’t typically sell unplated white gold because they say it oxidizes too much and becomes ugly although I haven’t seen any pictures of what it might look like. Seems to be kind of in fashion at the moment in the US. From earlier notes from them, they call it dipping in rhodium water as a final step to get the shiny finish at the end. Tianyu does an 18k white gold & palladium mix that only needs to be plated every 3 years as another alternative if you don’t like the plating upkeep.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Typically it’s 2 weeks to get it cut and after shipping takes place, you will get it in 4-5 days...depending on if It falls over a weekend.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks
The yellow moissanites from SG only come in cushion and ovals I believe right now. I had a crushed ice cushion that you can see on page 4 (8x10). It is not as big as a 10-12 carat moissanite stone though. I don’t think I have seen any stones in that size but maybe that is something they could custom cut. I think there are more limited options with the yellow moissanites. The prices are usually much cheaper than the diamond colors so I don’t think they would be crazy expensive. I personally have always found the aquamarine’s or blue topaz to be better choices for cocktail style rings in this size. You can find them preowned on ebay cheaper than the moissanites....just as an option to consider.

goldielox

Rough_Rock
Can someone please remind me how long it typically takes from putting an order in to receiving your ring if you get a custom cut stone? I’m just curious about the likelihood of getting my ring before Christmas (ordered the 27th). Thanks!

If you're asking for something they've already done, then it might be possible with expedited shipping. But you should check in with them just in case because they might be busier with the holiday season!

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
They don’t call it rhodium plating so they get confused when we say that.

They don’t typically sell unplated white gold because they say it oxidizes too much and becomes ugly although I haven’t seen any pictures of what it might look like. Seems to be kind of in fashion at the moment in the US. From earlier notes from them, they call it dipping in rhodium water as a final step to get the shiny finish at the end. Tianyu does an 18k white gold & palladium mix that only needs to be plated every 3 years as another alternative if you don’t like the plating upkeep.

Mona at SG kept saying the ring would be solid 14k gold. She couldn't understand what I was trying to explain.:shock::shock:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Mona at SG kept saying the ring would be solid 14k gold. She couldn't understand what I was trying to explain.:shock::shock:
The language barrier is harder for some of them because they are using a translation program to communicate. I talked this through with Cherry who is the sales manager, in the very beginning. Just know that if you get 14K or 18K white gold that it is going to be plated. I think some people even tried to get it unplated with Tianyu and they didn’t understand what we were trying to ask either. I hate replating white gold which is why I went for the palladium mix on the OEC I did with them.

Moissamight

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I received my CAD from SG last night. For reference, I’m going to be adding the inspiration pic, drawing I did, and prongs I was hoping to get on the ring. I definitely need to ask for a lot of changes.

1. First, I’m wondering if they’re able to do prongs that look more like leaves/prongs rather than straight up hearts.

2. Do you think 1.3mm for each part of the stack will be thick enough?

3. How does the height look?

4. What other dimensions should I ask for? I was thinking about the thickness of the design.

Anything else? I want to change the design to look more like mine, change the wedding band stone size to match the others, adding the scrolls to the band…etc. Hopefully I didn’t bite off more than I could chew. Thanks!
406948B5-9342-4900-8301-7BD76119B6AD.png

8498ABF0-7EAD-41BF-AF13-21AEFC36B2FB.png
8D858366-EF9A-426D-A152-D1B94967AFE1.png
68C5E553-BEB6-4BB8-91A2-A21116799239.jpeg

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
The language barrier is harder for some of them because they are using a translation program to communicate. I talked this through with Cherry who is the sales manager, in the very beginning. Just know that if you get 14K or 18K white gold that it is going to be plated. I think some people even tried to get it unplated with Tianyu and they didn’t understand what we were trying to ask either. I hate replating white gold which is why I went for the palladium mix on the OEC I did with them.

I don't bother to replate, I just let it wear off and enjoy the soft butter color of the gold.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! I received my CAD from SG last night. For reference, I’m going to be adding the inspiration pic, drawing I did, and prongs I was hoping to get on the ring. I definitely need to ask for a lot of changes.

1. First, I’m wondering if they’re able to do prongs that look more like leaves/prongs rather than straight up hearts.

2. Do you think 1.3mm for each part of the stack will be thick enough?

3. How does the height look?

4. What other dimensions should I ask for? I was thinking about the thickness of the design.

Anything else? I want to change the design to look more like mine, change the wedding band stone size to match the others, adding the scrolls to the band…etc. Hopefully I didn’t bite off more than I could chew. Thanks!
406948B5-9342-4900-8301-7BD76119B6AD.png

8498ABF0-7EAD-41BF-AF13-21AEFC36B2FB.png
8D858366-EF9A-426D-A152-D1B94967AFE1.png
68C5E553-BEB6-4BB8-91A2-A21116799239.jpeg
I wish I could be of help. Lucky_Rabbit was kind enough to let me use her CAD for my ring then all I had to do was make a few modifications and I was done. The other ladies will chime in soon. There are some serious CAD pros here.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Quick tip for those of you that are a 4.5 finger size. East West Gem Company (Instagram) uses a hand model with a 4.5 finger size. ALL of their pics are of the same model. It was really helpful to me when I was trying to figure out what size elongated OMC to order with SG. You can see all the different shapes on her finger, so helpful! I couldn't decide between a 10x8 or 11x9. I own a 10x8 ruby three stone ring and I always thought that if I was going to get a solitaire, especially if wearing alone, I would need to go a little bit bigger. So happy I went with 11x9 as I noticed that cushions face up smaller than most other shapes.

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Thank you:appl:I've watched the videos at least 50 times already!

I had to leave the house today so I didn't get a chance to take any pics of holding a cup or something like that, lol. But I got more pics of it in day light out in the car and some profile pics for you.

profile1.jpg profile2.jpg profile3.jpg profile4.jpg profile5.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The metal looks dark in the room in the pictures but the metal is nice and bright.
Here are some in the car. I LOVE the chucky facets, OMG:kiss2:

car1.jpg car2.jpg car3.jpg car4.jpg car5.jpg car6.jpg

Beautiful photos!

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
The metal looks dark in the room in the pictures but the metal is nice and bright.
Here are some in the car. I LOVE the chucky facets, OMG:kiss2:

car1.jpg car2.jpg car3.jpg car4.jpg car5.jpg car6.jpg
Thank you so much! I really needed those additional profile pics! Is that a little doughnut on the bottom? Will a band sit flush with the ring? You're the best for helping me. I'm still ironing out the CAD with Mona over at SG.

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much! I really needed those additional profile pics! Is that a little doughnut on the bottom? Will a band sit flush with the ring? You're the best for helping me. I'm still ironing out the CAD with Mona over at SG.

Yes, there is a donut under it. My ring looks very very very similar to this:
https://thetruegem.com/bridal-collections/rachel

But pave:
https://thetruegem.com/bridal-collections/rachel-2ncca

And no, a band will not sit flush with it. You would need to modify the the basket to have a band sit flush.
I like the donut look so I kept it in.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock

But pave:

And no, a band will not sit flush with it. You would need to modify the the basket to have a band sit flush.
I like the donut look so I kept it

But pave:

I like the donut look so I kept it in.

Thank you so much for clearing that up. I asked True Gem on their IG page yesterday about the dimensions of the ring thinking that they wouldn't give such detailed info but they did! The stones in the shank are 2mm and the width after polishing is 2.1. I'm leaving the doughnut in because it keeps the ring low I think. They sell lab-grown melee so I'm asking if they can do the side stones in those. It takes Mona and I a long time to communicate because I go to bed around the time she starts work. Thanks again Lucky_Rabbit.
profile4-jpg.662139

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

StarsGem sells lab grown diamond melee? This is news to me! I bet a lot of people would prefer that over moissanite if so.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
They sell lab grown diamond lots, bags of tiny melee in various sizes, with a one carat total weight for a few hundred dollars depending on quality. I don't know why they don't just give that option for the rings they make.

Moissamight

Rough_Rock
StarsGem sells lab grown diamond melee? This is news to me! I bet a lot of people would prefer that over moissanite if so.
Any reason why it's preferred? I'd imagine the difference between moissanite and diamond would be less noticable at that size?

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Any reason why it's preferred? I'd imagine the difference between moissanite and diamond would be less noticable at that size?

From what I heard, smaller melee moissanites have a higher chance to crack years down the road or something like that.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
I own a moissanite ring with moissanite 1 pointers that I purchased off of DB back in 2012. I don't wear it as much now but I haven't had an issue. I work in the medical field so only wear a smooth 18k gold wedding band. I literally wear my rings on my days off and date night. I don't typically wear the same ring more than twice a week unless it's brand spanking new. I don't wear jewelry to sleep, shower, exercise or anything like that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results