shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling Crazy... um... re-set my ring?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1295924032|2832153 said:
How about cutting off the shank, adding a bail, and wearing it as a pendant? It's a fabulous size for a pendant even if you took it out of the setting and put it in a milgrain bezel. I think the ultimate problem is going to be that for most of the designs you really love, the stone would need that growth spurt. Why not think of how the stone can best be used rather than trying to make it into something it just can't be????

DH. It is my engagement ring. We've talked about this and he would truly be hurt. He wouldn't stand in my way, but it would make him sad. I know... it's in the safe, but well... it's different than turning it into a pendant.

Maytal hasn't responded yet so we'll see.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh...I'm sorry! In some ways I think you already made the best choice for your stone, but I also understand the durability issues.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1295924562|2832160 said:
Ugh...I'm sorry! In some ways I think you already made the best choice for your stone, but I also understand the durability issues.

It is what it is. My husband's feeling are more important to me than any piece of jewelry will ever be. But that doesn't mean that I don't get the urge to try to come up with a new and exciting way to make my diamond more wearable every few years.

It's just that I've started to understand more about my bling personality more. I don't think my madiera pear topaz ring is long for my jewelry box... I'm probably going to resell it.

I have three unset turqouise to match my turqouise and diamond pendant. Never worn the pendant so I'm not seeing the point in spending any money, even 250 from a Chinese seller on a setting for them.

I don't wear my high carat gold at all. Need to get it appraised then it goes back to the bank. I sold the non-sentimental 1/2 of it last year.

I have multiple unset colored stones which will never be set, I'm thinking.

I want studs but I've become stubbornly attached to the idea of real OEC's at 5.5 to 6 mm. And to top it all off, I want them from my husband (which means I'm not getting real vintage stones and will likely end up with super ideals) for our 5 year wedding anniversary (still 3 years away).

And I do want a tennis bracelet... but for my ten year as I want ten carats :bigsmile: .

I don't really want much else in terms of jewelry. Okay... three more pieces: A lovely peacock Tahitian pendant and earring set. And a pear solitaire bezel pendant.

I have a lovely pendant, great earrings, a lovely bling band, and nice slim pave wedding band too, and I'm not a 'change it up' person. I'm boring.

So... it bothers me that one of my pieces isn't adored and worn. And it's my engagement ring to boot.

I'm babbling. Sorry. It's just... noise.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - FWIW it makes my heart glad that you don't see your engagement ring as just another piece of jewelry, and that you want to wear yours enough that you're considering this change. Just call me a sentimental fool!

I'm looking forward to seeing what Leon comes up with! But... if it turns out not to be something makes your heart sing, why not consider saving a little longer so you can get the trap halo? That setting would be the perfect compliment to your asscher and your sense of style, and going that route -- even if it means waiting a bit longer -- seems to fit the back to basics, keep only what you wear and love, approach to jewelry that you just described.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol! Gypsy, you remind me sooo much of myself! I have this simple little list of what I really want...but that little list adds up! I like your list, though...elegant, classic pieces...really the things I like as well!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
VR... yeah, I don't know who I could have the do the baguette halo to my satisfaction. But saving up for it is a definite possibility. BGD did have part of my Aurora handwired so I could ask them if they'd be willing to work with me--- but more hands on than I've ever been with them. (Hah, gecko you thought I was a control freak before). I can SEE this ring in my mind like it's a 40x video in slow motion, and parts of it need handmade fabrication, not CAD cast. But CAD and cast would be ideal for the exactness of other parts of it.

As for sentimentality... I think everyone has things that they don't compromise on. FOR ME, personally, the ring's meaning is tied very closely to the actual diamond. Because of all the memories attached to buying it. I have a crappy memory but I will never forget my husband's ring hunting adventures.

When our house was broken into my diamond engagement was FACE DOWN at the bottom of my bedside drawer table (junk drawer with teeth). When I realized we'd been robbed... I looked from the antique jewelry box that had been holding some of my pieces, cracked, lying on my bed straight to that drawer and I was SURE that ring was gone. And instead of speeding up to get to the drawer faster I slowed down, because I didn't want to see it gone. I don't know how they overlooked it.

DS, the lists do get longer don't they? But then they level out. The list gets shorter... but the pieces get heavier in carat weight :devil: .

Maytal declined touching my existing setting.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
what about star setting it so the windmills are n/s/e/w?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Of all your options:

Hest's sister's setting is my favorite so far. It has the every day wearability that you need (lack of pave, bezel) but it also is beautiful and delicate, and adds visual size to the center stone even so. So it should make de-haloing a less painful prospect. By far the one I like best. But... it is definitely more vintage/fussy looking (which is totally my style, lol) but is it yours? The lack pave makes it a little less frou-frou, but it does still have that girly girl look. And most of your pieces are delicate but with a bit of a modern look to them, so a SS setting would be a bit of a stylistic departure. Still, if you've loved it for years, that's a very good sign, right?

Second favorite is the Danhov baguette halo setting. You have lusted over a baguette halo for ages, and it looks like it's sleek and well built, less fuss than pave. And the price is a good one.

I understand (ohhhhh do I understand) the desire to just hand it over to someone and say- please reset this for god's sake, so I can stop fussing with it! But I worry that you (like me) are just not wired that way and will ultimately not be happy with that route with Leon. And having less input will result in you wanting to reset again in a few years. Also Leon's designs are pretty delicate in general, and I worry that you are not getting the wearability you need. Which, since the Ocean setting's delicacy is the reason it's getting shelved right now, is super important. Still- I do get the desire to just hand the thing over to someone who does good work and say "do it!"

Maybe have DH look at AVRs for your earrings? If you want him to be the finder of the OECs. :bigsmile:

ETA: Oh and in terms of rebuilding your current setting? I would just leave it. And put a colored stone in it. That way you still get to enjoy it. It wouldn't be a daily wearer probably but you know, sometimes that doesn't matter.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-cushion-brilliant-2-01-1-10-ratio-g-vs2.119815/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-cushion-brilliant-2-01-1-10-ratio-g-vs2.119815/[/URL] That's IT but with a bezel.

The price I was qouted was well above 1000 over what she paid though. If I could get that setting for 2300 I'd go for it. Thakns Slg.

LGK, I'm likely to wait for the baguette halo. As for the AVC's I think they are well, overpriced personally. I'd rather have real vintage stones. Or just go for the hearts and arrows. Thank you for our thoughtful post though, lots of food for thought.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1296082533|2834042 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-cushion-brilliant-2-01-1-10-ratio-g-vs2.119815/ That's IT but with a bezel. The price I was qouted was well above 1000 over what she paid though. If I could get that setting for 2300 I'd go for it. Thakns Slg.
You know ... the sidestones in that ring don't look like french cuts to me ... they look like carre cuts. I wonder if that affects the price. Also: I think she paid $2800 back in 2009. Not surprised if there's been an increase in 2 yrs ...especially with metal prices the way they are.

ETA: And I think she said she was charged $2800 *for his work* ... that might not included metal & stones? Not sure ...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I was just browsing the Danhov website, saw these rings, and thought of you...

danhovhalo.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
#2.

danhovhalo2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, I noticed the carre cuts too. Planning on calling Leon to see if there is a way to trim costs--without pave. I'm not surprised by the qoute, but just don't want to spend nearly 4 k on a setting right now.

They are lovely! Thanks so much for the food for thought Dani!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Insomnia sucks:(

I was tinkering around on Leon's website and saw this. I know its a pendant, but isnt it amazing? Check out that double milgrain bezel!! More food for thought!!! :naughty:

leonmilgrainhalo.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
(((hugs))) just cause...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dani|1296120740|2834450 said:
Insomnia sucks:(

I was tinkering around on Leon's website and saw this. I know its a pendant, but isnt it amazing? Check out that double milgrain bezel!! More food for thought!!! :naughty:

This is great!!! Ahh, he DOES do bezels occassionally.

Cehra hugs back.

I spoke to Ocean about re-working my existing ring to make it more durable. I think that's the route I'm going to go. It's conservative and cost effective. And it will let me wear it for now and see if I want more changes down the line.

I'm not sure how we are going to re-work it yet. We talked about a different halo and about a metal bezel. But as soon as I get it re-appraised it will be mailed off to her and then we'll figure out what I am going to do.

I want to wear it more, and that' my main goal.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1296170770|2835109 said:
This is great!!! Ahh, he DOES do bezels occassionally.

Cehra hugs back.

I spoke to Ocean about re-working my existing ring to make it more durable. I think that's the route I'm going to go. It's conservative and cost effective. And it will let me wear it for now and see if I want more changes down the line.

I'm not sure how we are going to re-work it yet. We talked about a different halo and about a metal bezel. But as soon as I get it re-appraised it will be mailed off to her and then we'll figure out what I am going to do.

I want to wear it more, and that' my main goal.

I think this is a great idea. I'm glad you came to at least some sort of conclusion about what to do. :appl:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Miss Gypsy --- where have you been? Did you see the glamour shots of my reset? I've been waiting for your feedback :wink2:

sunshine778

Rough_Rock
Your current ring is stunning!!! The new ring is beautiful and unique. It must require exiquisite craftsmanship.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen your reset Lil! I'm off to now.

Hi Sunshine and thank you!

UPDATE:

I'm actually be lucky enough to be considering three different options right now. Bridget Durnell and I are talking about.... something. No clue what exactly yet. I just kinda asked her to look at some ideas I liked and suggest something back. She's very talented so I'm excited to see what she comes up with (and how much it costs).

Ocean is ready to re-make my halo and keep my shank with a few tweaks to the halo and she's so great.

And I found my DREAM baguette halo on a designer's site recommended by another PSer. One I didn't think I'd see one executed so perfectly. And so... I've asked for a qoute of that halo with my tapered baguettes and a delicate (not less than 2mm though, not for me 2.2 is great) shank. This one is the long shot as most baguette halo qoutes are just through the roof, but it was worth a shot.

I'm not sure what I am going to do yet. I need all the information at my fingertips so I can make an educated choice.

But I feel very lucky that so many really talented designers are available to help me decide what the right move is.

I have decided that I'm doing SOMETHING though.

Strange thing is I wore my ring the other day. But without my wedding band and... I really liked it much better that way. So if I do have Ocean re-make the halo I think I'm going to wear it as a standalone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore the syling of Durnell rings! Judging from the prices on Pearlmans she is pricey though.

Can't wait to see what you do! I also like a stand alone ring. One day when I have a three stone, I will likely wear it on its own.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy...I'm not sure a re-set is the best idea. What can we PSr's say or do to make you fall in love with your beautiful ring again? I mean, you're considering LM...something is wrong with this picture...you have a ring enviable by most, seriously.

Sometimes boredom sets in but not for the right outcomes? Maybe time to take a deep breath and focus on another jewelry project? Stress at work, yes, but that will go away soon enough. My dear, please wait to make a decision about a re-set until other things come into place? Please?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1296802151|2842677 said:
Gypsy...I'm not sure a re-set is the best idea. What can we PSr's say or do to make you fall in love with your beautiful ring again? I mean, you're considering LM...something is wrong with this picture...you have a ring enviable by most, seriously.

Sometimes boredom sets in but not for the right outcomes? Maybe time to take a deep breath and focus on another jewelry project? Stress at work, yes, but that will go away soon enough. My dear, please wait to make a decision about a re-set until other things come into place? Please?

I can promise that. I really can. I'm not making a decision on WHAT I am doing until other things come into place. But with the number of stones I've been losing at the very least I am having Ocean remake the halo portion and have talked to her about it. But it will still be pretty much the same, just with two melee in each corner instead of one and a different pave (but still pave) style... and with full cuts so repairs are easier.

But I've done two other projects since this feeling has come over me... both the Aurora and the necklace (that poor Lesley is waiting on me shipping my antique chain and seven stone to her on) I am having made. Plus earring jackets (inexpensive silver ones) from Etsy. None of it has helped. Although I did nearly rear end someone staring at my Aurora in the light while driving today because it was like a laser show.

As for how to make me fall in love. I was looking at it yesterday and thinking what an ungrateful brat I was. So... it may just end up that making it a little sturdier and easier to repair will be enough.

And that I have to buy another diamond for a project with Durnell (my husband WILL kill me for even thinking it)....

But if the baguette halo does price out, that one... A) it is going to tempting and B)... will definitely wait to make sure it's not just that I'm trying to fill a different void.

As for Leon. I clearly lost my mind for a day. I'm not working with him. I just can't imagine giving money to anyone who acts like that. AT ALL.

Thank you Monnie, you know how much your opinion means to me. And I've taken it to heart. I promise.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

And sometimes a reset really is just a reset Monny ;))

Nyuk nyuk.

FreudyMcFreud.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1296802924|2842684 said:

Nyuk nyuk.

I agree Dreamer. But she's right too. I am unhappy with my job. And I have a big health issue looming. So while I have been feeling this way for at least a year... some of the timing is suspect. And I appreciate you guys (both of you!) looking out for me.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I must be crazy, but the new setting you posted is right up my alley! I love it!

You know, I have thought of resetting Lemony myself... So even if a setting is almost perfect ( or not ) sometimes, the itch is just there to do something different. No pain no gain :) If you want to try something new, go for it babe!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just saw this thread and have nothing to say except:

You's crazy. :tongue:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1296803095|2842686 said:
Dreamer_D|1296802924|2842684 said:

Nyuk nyuk.

I agree Dreamer. But she's right too. I am unhappy with my job. And I have a big health issue looming. So while I have been feeling this way for at least a year... some of the timing is suspect. And I appreciate you guys (both of you!) looking out for me.

But its a ring, it is not like you are considering a tatoo on your face in reaction to stressors. ;))

I don't personally have a problem with changing up the bling as a distraction as long as it is not stopping you from thinking about reality or is putting you in debt etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results