shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling Crazy... um... re-set my ring?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I admit I thought Lynn was slightly nutty when she wanted to reset her (freaking gorgeous and fantastically awesome) pave set for a plain solitaire. Until I saw her Grace set, and then I knew she was a genius.

But I've been fighting a desire to reset my diamond into something different for a little while now. And been doing other pieces (which I love) to fight the desire off. But I'm starting to realize that the other pieces (as much as I adore them) have their own place... and that place isn't helping me with the desire to re-set my asscher.

Current Setting:

file.jpg

and

file.jpg

I REALLY don't know if I'm going to do it. But... well... maybe????

What I really want is a honking three stone. But after a halo I know that I will have SERIOUS DSS if I just get a three stone setting. And upgrading my stone... OR using it as a sidestone for a larger center are not possibilities (trust me).

I adore, adore adore this Breuget Ring (see bottom of post) ... And love that it's stand alone. And I've been thinking of getting something similar by Maytal and having my Aurora resized for my right hand.

I'm not a new bride or a recently engaged so I don't really care if my diamond ring looks like an engagement ring.

Alternately, I'm considering something with a bezel and sidestones... like this one Lil is getting, but with two bezel marquise on either side of the shank or some graduated french cuts in a channel down the shank from a bezel. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-cads-are-in.155444/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-cads-are-in.155444/[/URL]

I would, of course, get a colored stone for my current setting. Hopefully a nice light to medium blue sapphire cushion.

I know, I'm nuts. But... other than the fact that I'm insane... what are your thoughts?

breguet-ring-whitegold-diamond-GJE07BB05_7001300x300.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I adore it as it is. Really!! I am actually going to change my 3 stone cushion ring into something more classic that I feel I will be happy with forever! (Don't quote me on that! :bigsmile: ) I like the other setting, but I really adore the setting you have right now! Every angle of your current setting totally fits your asscher. It is more timeless and classic than the other setting. I think the other setting, while beautiful, may be a bit too contemporary....especially for an asscher cut.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
I like your current setting and the one option you posted. But I agree, it is quite contemporary. Something that you may get tired of soon. What about a 3 stone halo ring?

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
I like your current ring, I think the other one is too contemporary for my taste.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I also love your setting as is...but I have been loving all of these french cut settings too. if you want to reset it, reset it! (sorry...that wasn't helpful!)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was going to forbid you to do it, but then I realized you can get a really cool gemstone to put in your setting and it could be a win win. So if that's what you want to do, go for it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great thoughts. Forbid me, huh Dreamer? I have to admit. I'm not a colored stone person so the sapphire reset would likely NOT get a ton of wear (if I am being honest).

Torn. It is contemporary. But it's a ring I've loved for 3 years. I keep coming back to it. And I love statement pieces.

Do love my current setting too.

Think I need to find a dealer and try that Breguet ring on.

E B

Ideal_Rock
How often do you wear your e-ring? If it sees your jewelry box more than your finger, and a re-set's been on your mind for a while, (and if you're able to try on the Breguet and love it) go for it.

The Breguet looks like it'll give serious finger coverage, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sits in my safe 85% of the time.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I think your ring is sooo pretty as it is! I do think you'll get DSS if you take it out of the halo,too! Get another diamond or colored stone for that contemporary band you want. I just wouldn't take the asscher out of the halo.

Why are you not wearing it daily???

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
No no no no no no no no. Also: nope. No go. Nix. Nonsense. Nahnahnahnah I can't hear you.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noooo! Your ring is stunning as is!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy - I absolutely adore your ring as it is, but I understand your desire to change it up. I see so many beautiful pieces on PS daily and it just sets my mind spinning. If you don't mind me saying so, it seems as if you and I have very similar tastes, so my suggestion would be to take your lovely asscher out of the prongs and bezel set it in the same setting. I think this would really showcase the beauty of your stone and give you the *change* that you are seeking. In my honest opinion, I think removing the prongs would allow the octagonal shape of the asscher to really stand out. That's the reason I decided to bezel my asscher. I don't think prong settings really do the stone shape justice.

As far as the other setting you posted, I think it would look lovely with a colored stone, such as a sapphire.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1295756008|2830268 said:
No no no no no no no no. Also: nope. No go. Nix. Nonsense. Nahnahnahnah I can't hear you.

Haha, my favorite Rocky Talky post of the day! :lol:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1295756008|2830268 said:

My thoughts exactly :lol: :lol: :lol:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I cannot tell a lie. You are a crazy lady!! Your current setting is stunning. Don't do it ;(

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly it sits in my safe because... it's an pain to keep clean (step cut, which won't change it I change the setting), and I've lost melee out of it and both times it's been a pain to get the melee replaced (downside of single cuts. I should just email Ocean and ask her to buy like 5 melee so if I lose one it won't be such a pain to replace), and I get so upset when it's injured (stupid I know), but it really bothers me. So I've been babying it more and more. And now I just wear my Aurora band....

I don't know.

Deco, ROFLMAO.

Lil... One thing that keeps me from getting a setting like yours is that I love how bright my asscher is in the prong setting. My first setting (temp setting) was an X-prong, an inexpensive one that really covered a lot of the stone (sides and pavilion and overpowered it). When I put it into this setting it was like a beacon compared to a flashlight. I do think that having an open pavilion (like I have now) with a bezel would be good, but I'm afraid of bezelling it and not loving the brightness of it. Also the blurring of the outline with the halo makes the stone appear much bigger than if I had a metal line between the halo and the center.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I'd vote for a version of Lil's ring, actually. Especially if you aren't wearing it much because of having to baby the pave. Also? Bezels are the bee's knees, most especially with a lovely Asscher like yours. Your current setting, you can't see the lovely octagonal shape well. A bezel would totally cure that. Personally I've *loved* the security of a bezel, and how it doesn't get caught on anything; I'd have a hard time going back to prong set actually And a bezel just makes the a diamond's patterning pop beautifully, and with an Asscher, that would be awesome.

I think you *probably* won't notice much difference between bezel and halo, in terms of performance, especially since your's is pretty low set inside the halo already. (That's what I swapped my OEC from, a very low halo setting to a bezel, and there was no noticeable difference in performance.)

The setting you posted a pic of- actually, I bet it's stunning in person, though the picture doesn't really grab me. A cousin of mine has a similar shape setting, and it looks like this delicate web of diamond on her hand, and I adore it. And I do love a stand-alone e-ring. But in terms of actual wearability, I think the bezel plan is better, especially if the micropave on just a halo has been a bit of a pain already. (It is lovely though!)

Ah resets. Such fun to contemplate! :tongue:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Argh. I shouldn't have brought it up... just should have stewed over it privately. Lil, I blame you and your gorgeous CAD. :love:

LGK I'm tempted to just give BGD a 250 CAD fee and see what they come up with.

I would get a VERY different type of pave if I got the Berguet band. The pave of my scott kay band is like super glue man. So I was going to ship it with my setting to Maytal and ask her if she could use that style of pave.

I'll call them on Monday and ask Brian not to kill me when I see if they can resize my Aurora band for my right hand and take it from there.

Part of the problem is also that I am just head over freaking heels over this band and want to wear it all the time. And as it is sized to my left hand, well I can't wear it and my e-ring (well I can, I just shouldn't if I don't want the jewelry police to arrest me... Neatfreak and I were goofing around and I put my engagement ring on with the Aurora and it was just such a bad pairing it was hilarious).

My husband... when and IF he finds out about these machinations (or potential machinations) is gonna to disown me.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I love your current setting. I am afraid you will have dss if you take your stone out of the halo. When I was trying on solitaires a month ago next to my halo they all looked so small.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Well, your ring is one of my favorites on PS. :love: :love: :love: But that doesn't mean you shouldn't change it --- especially if you're not wearing it.

Here are my thoughts:
I think a colored stone would look incredible in your Ocean setting -- an aquamarine or a sapphire would be luscious, for example.

I love-love-love that Breguet setting. I think it would look great on your left hand (and I also love how it's a stand-alone style) with your Aurora on your right. I do think if you want diamonds in the bands, that the ring could be made in a way that would reduce the likelihood of stones coming loose.

But I think that ring would also look great plain -- no diamonds in the bands -- because the style has great architectural "bones"). I don't know about you, but my eye is being drawn to more modern and contemporary styles after so many years of pave, vintage, etc. It just looks "fresh," to use a cliche fashion bloggers' term.

I love the look of Lil's CADs from BGD, and agree with the others who have said that a bezel (with culet exposed) would probably not look significantly different, as far as light return goes, than your current halo setting. I also think the bezel will help you deal with the DSS that may result from going from un-haloing your stone.

Either style will complement the gorgeous geometric shape of your asscher more than your current halo setting does, and I think that would be my argument in favor of re-setting!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd leave the aurora band a left hand ring. It is fun to have more than one wedding band! I'd love to have one made like it but with same size diamonds straight across. Since you are wearing it more than the e-ring, then I guess it is not so bad to make the asscher setting into a rhr with colored stone. Maybe someone like Jeff White could cut you one to fit. I just don't think you'd want the Breguet band to be your only left hand wedding band.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1295781227|2830366 said:
Argh. I shouldn't have brought it up... just should have stewed over it privately. Lil, I blame you and your gorgeous CAD. :love:

LGK I'm tempted to just give BGD a 250 CAD fee and see what they come up with.

I would get a VERY different type of pave if I got the Berguet band. The pave of my scott kay band is like super glue man. So I was going to ship it with my setting to Maytal and ask her if she could use that style of pave.

I'll call them on Monday and ask Brian not to kill me when I see if they can resize my Aurora band for my right hand and take it from there.

Part of the problem is also that I am just head over freaking heels over this band and want to wear it all the time. And as it is sized to my left hand, well I can't wear it and my e-ring (well I can, I just shouldn't if I don't want the jewelry police to arrest me... Neatfreak and I were goofing around and I put my engagement ring on with the Aurora and it was just such a bad pairing it was hilarious).

My husband... when and IF he finds out about these machinations (or potential machinations) is gonna to disown me.

While I do love your present e-ring mounting Gypsy, it's not me wearing the ring; and if it really does sit in your safe deposit box the majority of the time? I think you absolutely have to reset it. I'm so tired of thinking of doing a project for a long period of time and trying to appease myself with something else in the hopes that it will take my mind off of the real thing I've been dying to do. Personally, I don't want to have an regrets or any "I should haves" of my own. Life is too short! And I don't believe that beautiful diamonds were ever meant to live out their sparkly little lives in anyone's safe deposit box! RESET baby! If you've got the buckeroos, have BGD whip you up a CAD and see what you think. If your heart starts going BOOMBOOMBOOM for all the right reasons? You know what you have to do! Just my humble opinion.....

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing the photo of the new band, I am not a fan. But a lot of times, a photo doesn't do a ring justice and you really have to see it
on. I suspect that is true of your ring. I would be nuts over losing melee, and would feel the same as you do about it.

So on to reset. You simply cannot have such a gorgeous stone sitting in a safe. I am anxious to hear what Brian can come up
with for you. Maybe, he can make you a simple ring that you could wear with your Aurora, you never know. I have always liked
the look of a simple ring with a blingy band. Sometimes, something amazing can come out of a problem like yours Gypsy!

Your hubby won't disown you. Girl, you are just keeping the mystery alive!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1295769748|2830345 said:
Honestly it sits in my safe because... it's an pain to keep clean (step cut, which won't change it I change the setting), and I've lost melee out of it and both times it's been a pain to get the melee replaced (downside of single cuts. I should just email Ocean and ask her to buy like 5 melee so if I lose one it won't be such a pain to replace), and I get so upset when it's injured (stupid I know), but it really bothers me. So I've been babying it more and more. And now I just wear my Aurora band....

I don't know.

Deco, ROFLMAO.

Lil... One thing that keeps me from getting a setting like yours is that I love how bright my asscher is in the prong setting. My first setting (temp setting) was an X-prong, an inexpensive one that really covered a lot of the stone (sides and pavilion and overpowered it). When I put it into this setting it was like a beacon compared to a flashlight. I do think that having an open pavilion (like I have now) with a bezel would be good, but I'm afraid of bezelling it and not loving the brightness of it. Also the blurring of the outline with the halo makes the stone appear much bigger than if I had a metal line between the halo and the center.

I've said this elsewhere, but I'm a really big believer that jewelry should be worn, and that if there is something about your ering that keeps you from wearing it, you should fix/change it.

If it were me, the first thing I'd do is resize the Aurora for your right hand, and then start wearing them both (especially since it seems like you would do this anyway if you were going to reset your ering).

And then... well... do what makes you happy. If the thought of losing the single cuts is making you avoid wearing your ering, but you're otherwise happy with it, have them replaced.

But I seem to recall you mentioning that there were one or two other little things that bug you - in which case no matter what you do to it, a reset is going to be your only option.

How long have you had the current setting? I joke with my husband that my diamond may be destined for a new home every 3-5 years, simply because styles change, circumstances change etc. (No, I'm not currently planning on changing anything.) If this is just where you're at in life... well... change it. Just be reeeeally sure that that is the route you want to take first. :wacko:

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is absolutely gorgeous as it is! Still, it is most important that you are happy with it. If I were you, I would take a long time to really think about this - just to make sure that I was making the right decision.

I am also toying with the idea of resetting my diamond, or maybe upgrading the stone. I have a 1.5 carat princess cut, and it is definitely on the larger side of what I see in my area - especially in my hometown, but also in the city that I'm living in. It's currently set as a solitaire on a thin, platinum band. I love it, but I feel like I want more finger coverage. I don't really like the look of halos on me, so I was thinking of either getting a three-stone setting (Tacori has one that I really like), or maybe upgrading to a 2 carat.

These decisions are sooo tough! Good luck, and I'm sure that you will make the right decision for you! :)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your ring, it is just beautiful, but if you dont wear it then you should probably reset it to something that you would wear, it would be a shame not to wear your beautiful diamond.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seriously if you decide to redo your ring I will be first in line to buy that setting from you. :bigsmile:

And I know you've been feeling this way since you hardly wear the darn thing anymore. Shame, but I know how you feel. I'm guilty too.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy:

You stone is stunning and the mounting is beautifully constructed but I (the lone mouse) dont actually love the whole package. I think its sort of busy (the constrasting geometries) and the mounting seems to need a different stone in which the "halo" or diamond surround is distinguished from the center stone. They dont quite seem to go together to my eye. I would like to see a colored stone in there, maybe a square cushion in periwinkle blue or a watery sea green. Your stone is (obviously) very geometric and as such seems to demand something either deco or more contemporary/minimalist. I like the Breguet ring and have tried it on but I think its maybe not right either. I would like to see a heavy bezel set mounting with a double milgrained border and fluted band................or a deco nod with a border of calibre sapphires.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
When I saw this thread I thought someone had hacked into your account.

Gypsy, your ring has always been one of my PS favorites and I KNOW how much time and effort went into its design. I have no doubt that if you do decide to change it, the end product will look amazing.

My fear with switching to a three-stone, whether it's bezeled or not, is DSS. I honestly don't think the sidestones are going to make the ring feel any more substantial than it already does in the halo. And I think something more substantial is what you're looking for.

The Breguet ring is gorgeous and if you've been in love with it for this long, I think it's probably worth exploring for you. Since the ring is more expansive than most settings, I would definitely want to see if your stunning asscher somehow gets lost in it.

I know you love this stuff--the designing and planning and I think having a challenge makes it even more fun for you. I'm almost afraid to say that you won't find a setting that is as perfect as the one you already designed because it could be adding fuel to the re-setting fire...so I won't say it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results