color
clarity

Feeling Crazy... um... re-set my ring?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I think Leon likes to do what he does best: prongs. I'm sure he can do a lovely bezel, though. I think I might be wary of working with him (not that I actually have) when I had specific design ideas because he seems to thrive when he's the designer and the artiste. If I had my own artistic vision (which you clearly do!), I would be concerned that there might be a conflict in carrying it out. But it's hard to really say that without ever having spoken with the guy . . .

Switching gears . . . your baguette halo design is stunning. At one point, I briefly considered a baguette halo reset for my EC. After determining what the cost might be and not finding any designs that really spoke to me, I scrapped the idea. If I were in the reset market, I might reconsider after seeing yours :)) .

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I sent a request to him for a quote. I figured the worst he can do is tell me that bezels are low class, hideous, ugly, unworthy, a waste of time... or another of his 'witty' turns of phrases.

Have you read his pave tutorial? OMG. It if you read it with a complete understanding that the man is just uncaring about what people think of him it is a freaking riot.

I will say one thing for him. He has a way with adjectives.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may be pleasantly surprised, Gypsy. (note: MAY). Just a hunch, but I suspect he likes working with people who know and are smart about what they want.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1295853138|2831199 said:
You may be pleasantly surprised, Gypsy. (note: MAY). Just a hunch, but I suspect he likes working with people who know and are smart about what they want.

I would be really shocked. I got a qoute from Leon and spoke to him about 4 years ago (original reset) and um... let's just say that when I have doubts about my ability to work with him... it's a statement based on prior experience.

I have NEVER EVER doubted the quality of his work (how could I with all the amazing examples we have at our GTG's!), but he's a handful.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow gypsy - I am surprised! And kind of disappointed for Ocean that both of us want to reset :razz: I guess I don't understand why you say it is too delicate - I haven't read the whole thread - but that would be an issue for me. The setting my stone is in is a freaking vault, I wish I could give you that durability so that only I had to reset lol

Just because I care, I want to ask you if you are just jonsing for some more projects? What is your goal here? Is it just wanting something you can wear daily? You loved that ring until you got the aurora and now you love that ring more and you think your old one pales in comparison? I don't think you should resize the aurora. You got it for a wedder replacement and you got it made to fit your left hand. Enjoy it for what it is. Wear your asscher on your right hand - that is also a popular option! If you gotta redesign for that, fine, but don't take it out on the aurora!! lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should hold out until you can do the bag halo like I've known you have wanted to do for 5 years now... but make it for your right hand.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1295846398|2831150 said:
Thoughts?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ADORE THAT!! That's originally what I was thinking too....a delicate milgrain halo with french cuts in the shank. Leon would do an amazing job on this!!! :appl: :appl:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1295846398|2831150 said:
Thoughts?

I love it! :love: Those french cuts are amazing! I also love the Single Stone pieces. In fact, I sent a couple of those pics to Brian as my inspiration for the bezel set side stones on my new ring. And, of course, I LOVE the baguette halo idea. It's something I have toyed with as well. Like I said...you and I have very similar tastes. :wink2:

I think if you can work with Leon and you can get the french cuts without them being ubere xpensive, go for it! I think it would look fabulous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, while I do like the bezel french cut ring (although I'd like the version with prongs much more), I want to remind you that one reason you put the halo on your stone was to increase the size. I don't think you'll get thefull impact of that design with a 6mm stone. I couldn't say that to just anyone here, but since I believe you are honestly seeking advice to help you think it through, I am just saying it!

This doesn't really matter in the overall scheme of things, but I agree with Cehra that a diamond band ring is more of a stand-alone wedding ring and better for the left hand and the asscher ring would be more like a rhr. I would think John would be much happier to see you wearing the asscher on your right hand daily than not wearing it at all, like now.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure *any* setting can make you LOVE a stone that you seem to be *emotionally* attached to ... but not visually or stylistically in LOVE love with. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not an Asscher girl REALLY, are you? That was your husband's choice, right? It just seems to be like you're fighting a losing battle here. The stone & ring are ALREADY a perfect match. Though perhaps not as wearable as you'd prefer.

As pretty as all of these reset options seem (aside from that first band you posted, if I'm being totally honest) ... I truly worry that it will just end up the same way as the last. A shiny new toy for a while & ultimately unsatisfactory -- because you're trying to turn something into something its not. IMHO.

Would you ever consider setting the Asscher into a bezel pendant setting & wearing your new Aurora band as a wedder? Seems like a lot of ladies change to an eternity type band worn solo *eventually*.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1295842209|2831101 said:
asscher_girl|1295841174|2831088 said:
Hey Gypsy,

Have you seen this ring by Danhov?

http://www.danhov.com/index.php?page=collection&catID=2&sub=6&pID=183&startRow=36&view=

Didn't you want a baguette halo back in the day? When I was working on resetting my asscher, I had inquired about this one. James Allen can get it (that's who I went w/ for my bezel reset), they quoted me $3250 for 18kt WG, which isn't bad for that since the bags have to be custom cut. Since this one has a bezel around the center and the bags, it should hold up really well.

I wish you luck with your decision, I know how hard it is. It was hard for me to reset from my setting that DH proposed with but I am really in love w/ my new setting. Even though I've talked about upgrading my asscher, and some day I will, I really think this setting will last me a long time to come.

That's actually VERY reasonable. The first stone that comes to mind for that setting is Neatfreak's Jeff White asscher sapphire.

I love your re-set AG. You absolutely made the right decision and I think that your bezel is stunning.

Not sure what the right answer is for me. But I do love baguette halos.

AG, now that I know the price of this setting, I'm going to have naughty dreams of it at night! Like Gypsy, I've been on the baguette halo quest before, only to be thwarted by price quotes from WF, BGD and Leon that were into the $5k+ range. I'm in HUGE trouble now. HUGE! Think I'll have to buy a second asscher diamond just to have that halo! LOL

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to let you know that I went to the Breguet site to look at the rings. I can see why you are drawn to this style. They are beautiful. The one comment I have is that the center stone seems to become part of the architecture of the ring rather than being the centerpiece, IMO. It is a different type of look, but quite stunning. With you already having the Aurora, I wonder if the two rings, if worn on opposite hands, might compete with each other. I'm still in favor of you trying to work with your present ring, but I wanted to give the Breguet its due :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so. Color me shocked.

Got a qoute from Leon with no adjectives. Very Professional.

The price is a bit high. And it doesn't include the French cuts as he'd have to get them in, but... it is food for thought.

I have to say it is tempting to just send my stone to him and say... what do YOU think I should do. Expect I'd end up with pave though. LOL.

Deco, dont' know.

RS, not sure either. Good point.

EB I considered that with MD's ring with the bright yellow oval. NUM!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy. Darling. Step awaaaay from the reset. :rodent:

You just suggested having Leon make you a ring.

Leon. The control freak. The I don't care what you think I'll make it the way I want to mad scientist ring designer.

You, the brilliant genius likes to design her own rings and every detail must be approved and I like to be involved in the process and I change my mind and have epiphanies person. Working with Leon. Who is brilliant, but as I understand it, not particularly interested in what his customers think.

Um.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know Gecko. I think... it would just be nice to not have to make all the decisions about everything all the time, though. More than just jewelry.

To just be able to hand something off to an expert and say... here are my guidelines you go sounds nice. Even if it is Leon.

I don't know. I might be in a funk about other decisions I have to make and just wanting to hand this one off to someone else.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1295874809|2831279 said:
Gypsy, while I do like the bezel french cut ring (although I'd like the version with prongs much more), I want to remind you that one reason you put the halo on your stone was to increase the size. I don't think you'll get thefull impact of that design with a 6mm stone. I couldn't say that to just anyone here, but since I believe you are honestly seeking advice to help you think it through, I am just saying it!

This doesn't really matter in the overall scheme of things, but I agree with Cehra that a diamond band ring is more of a stand-alone wedding ring and better for the left hand and the asscher ring would be more like a rhr. I would think John would be much happier to see you wearing the asscher on your right hand daily than not wearing it at all, like now.

You and Cehra have very good points too. More food for thought.

Bezel's not gonna do it, you guys think huh?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1295896980|2831634 said:
I don't know. I might be in a funk about other decisions I have to make and just wanting to hand this one off to someone else.
Buh buh buh buh BINGO. :tongue:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1295897855|2831643 said:

That doesn't mean that I'm handing the entire decision off. Ultimately to reset or not is my decision. But the actual design of the reset... yeah it would be nice to just have someone say... THIS IS IT, it's perfect for your stone. You absolutely should get THIS....

Plus I do adore Leon's quality. Always have.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1295899536|2831661 said:
decodelighted|1295897855|2831643 said:

That doesn't mean that I'm handing the entire decision off. Ultimately to reset or not is my decision. But the actual design of the reset... yeah it would be nice to just have someone say... THIS IS IT, it's perfect for your stone. You absolutely should get THIS....

Plus I do adore Leon's quality. Always have.

Hmm. If a Leon-esque design is what you ultimately go with, well, then go with it. :wacko:

This is my current Leon fave:

http://artofplatinum.com/vault/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1299&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

r997_018Ww.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So beautiful and low maintanence. I am seriously, seriously, seriously, just considering having my asscher sent to him.

As soon as I get the insurance crap I was just made aware of straightened out. Which is a good thing. A mandatory cooling off period to consider and reconsider.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you do send it to Leon, I'd make sure you tell him no pave and do something like that last setting just posted or else, my guess is he would set it pretty much like it's already set! :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo|1295909590|2831872 said:
If you do send it to Leon, I'd make sure you tell him no pave and do something like that last setting just posted or else, my guess is he would set it pretty much like it's already set! :bigsmile:

I'm probably going ask Neil to unset my diamond MsS, so Leon will have no context except the order as written based on the quote he sent me. I have to send the ring to Neil for an updated appraisal as I just found out the my DH had accidentlly allowed my insurance to lapse anyway so, it will work out.

When I sent the qoute request to Leon I asked for a Hybrid of his Classic Cathedral Solitaire (only with a bezel) and Art Nouveau's French Cut shank setting (only no taper on the French cuts, straight ones only) and specified that I don't want any pave anywhere.

So I put it in terms he can understand easily by referring to his own work. Stated what I didn't want very clearly, and then made sure to say that I wasn't sure he did bezel set keystones and to feel free to tell me if the project didn't interest him.

I will be asking him to set the stone higher than he usually does, IF I go through with it. I know how he feels about that but I don't want a squat setting.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm definitely not the right person to comment on this since I've been somewhat jewelry obsessed since I found PS last summer, but for whatever it's worth, your current setting is fairly classic and makes your stone absolutely delicious! The new setting you're looking at is very modern and I'd be concerned that in a few years, you'd get tired of it. I did read your comments that you're not a colored stone person, but perhaps a colored stone in the modern setting is the best way to go? Either way, you know that your fellow PS addicts will support you! ;))

E B

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1295910471|2831890 said:
[quote="mrssalvo|

When I sent the qoute request to Leon I asked for a Hybrid of his Classic Cathedral Solitaire (only with a bezel) and Art Nouveau's French Cut shank setting (only no taper on the French cuts, straight ones only) and specified that I don't want any pave anywhere.

I think this could be stunning, and much more everyday wearable (without the worry, at least). You'd be sacrificing some finger coverage around the diamond, but heck, it gives ZERO finger coverage locked in your safety deposit box, right? :cheeky:

I came across this while searching for other ideas, and thought it looked modern but art deco at the same time. It'd help with the finger coverage some, in a different way (esp. if you bezeled the center?), but I like the idea of the straight french cuts too.

57364848.jpg

FWIW, I hear you 100 percent on wanting something more low maintenance. I'm about 99 percent certain my AVCs will be going into a classic, substantial three-stone. Something that can be put into an ultrasonic without worry, something that won't be cracked/bent if accidentally bumped into a desk or a doorknob, something super wearable for the not-so-graceful me.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1295904548|2831743 said:
So beautiful and low maintanence. I am seriously, seriously, seriously, just considering having my asscher sent to him.

As soon as I get the insurance crap I was just made aware of straightened out. Which is a good thing. A mandatory cooling off period to consider and reconsider.

Oh, yes, this is a real advantage (said the poster who's going from a halo to an un-embellished setting for lifestyle reasons). I've never been a fan of Leon's *ahem* personality quirks, but the man knows proportion. I love the photo of the emerald cut that someone posted. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear his response to you about bezeling keystones.

But, Gypsy, I like the Cadillac sidestone idea you had several posts back; I would be concerned that the calibrated French cuts could be as much of a pain as single cuts and pave, with the replacement and maintenance issues.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lula|1295915527|2832003 said:
Gypsy|1295904548|2831743 said:

Oh, yes, this is a real advantage (said the poster who's going from a halo to an un-embellished setting for lifestyle reasons). I've never been a fan of Leon's *ahem* personality quirks, but the man knows proportion. I love the photo of the emerald cut that someone posted. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear his response to you about bezeling keystones.

But, Gypsy, I like the Cadillac sidestone idea you had several posts back; I would be concerned that the calibrated French cuts could be as much of a pain as single cuts and pave, with the replacement and maintenance issues.

Yeah. That's a great point Lula.

Ebree, If they were all bezelled and on different levels I wonder how that would look? Or if they were all bezeled on different levels and the second baguette (the one closest to the shank) was perpendicular.

Not sure. I started thinking about a 3K plus Leon reset today... and I'd rather just invest the money in something that earns me a return. On the other hand I want the best quality I can get and if it's something like French cuts in a thin shank that's Leon.

Something like Ebree's idea would be less cause I could, and would go for CAD and cast. And while Leon is the master of proportion I think I've got enough artiste blood in me that I could figure out what sized cadillacs I wanted if it came to it.

When I REALLY started thinking about the costs of a full reset... I don't want to write that check out.

Maybe after we do our taxes and see what's what. And see what Uncle Sam does.

It's a lot of money.Especially given Deco's very valid point that I love the sentiment of my stone but the actual rock... well, I'm never going to change it, but if there was such a thing as miracle grow for diamonds. I'd write that 3K check out in a heartbeat.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about cutting off the shank, adding a bail, and wearing it as a pendant? It's a fabulous size for a pendant even if you took it out of the setting and put it in a milgrain bezel. I think the ultimate problem is going to be that for most of the designs you really love, the stone would need that growth spurt. Why not think of how the stone can best be used rather than trying to make it into something it just can't be????

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results