color
clarity

Feeling Crazy... um... re-set my ring?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amethyst, I love that design too.

T-gal, probably.

Dreamer... face tatoos. Love it.

Gecko, He's calling me tomorrow about it. No qoute yet. But I'm hoping! It is perfect isn't it?

I'm doing something guys. A change so that I wear it more... it could be as conservative as just having my halo redone by Ocean. Or as drastic as a baguette halo. Lots of factors going into the decision. And I don't have all the information to make it yet. So... well, see.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Q.U.O.T.E. (you know I love you .... I just can't take it anymore!!!!)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1297205632|2846922 said:

I'm stupid, clearly. Or just multitasking. What do you mean hon?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
LGK|1295991766|2832873 said:
Of all your options:

Hest's sister's setting is my favorite so far. It has the every day wearability that you need (lack of pave, bezel) but it also is beautiful and delicate, and adds visual size to the center stone even so. So it should make de-haloing a less painful prospect. By far the one I like best. But... it is definitely more vintage/fussy looking (which is totally my style, lol) but is it yours? The lack pave makes it a little less frou-frou, but it does still have that girly girl look. And most of your pieces are delicate but with a bit of a modern look to them, so a SS setting would be a bit of a stylistic departure. Still, if you've loved it for years, that's a very good sign, right?

Second favorite is the Danhov baguette halo setting. You have lusted over a baguette halo for ages, and it looks like it's sleek and well built, less fuss than pave. And the price is a good one.

I understand (ohhhhh do I understand) the desire to just hand it over to someone and say- please reset this for god's sake, so I can stop fussing with it! But I worry that you (like me) are just not wired that way and will ultimately not be happy with that route with Leon. And having less input will result in you wanting to reset again in a few years. Also Leon's designs are pretty delicate in general, and I worry that you are not getting the wearability you need. Which, since the Ocean setting's delicacy is the reason it's getting shelved right now, is super important. Still- I do get the desire to just hand the thing over to someone who does good work and say "do it!"

Maybe have DH look at AVRs for your earrings? If you want him to be the finder of the OECs. :bigsmile:

ETA: Oh and in terms of rebuilding your current setting? I would just leave it. And put a colored stone in it. That way you still get to enjoy it. It wouldn't be a daily wearer probably but you know, sometimes that doesn't matter.

Baguette and trap halo??????? I think that's back to the time that I joined PS :bigsmile: Do you recall going to Joe Escobar and seeing a ring similar to that (which you didn't like)?

I haven't done anything yet, but I would be interested in seeing another setting which might be 'better' but still bag/trap haloed. Do you have any pics?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1297211061|2847016 said:
LOL. We all have our words that trip us up. Yours is "quote". Mine is ... well ... too many to count. But "marriage" and "definately" are stand outs. Ever since I noticed that you invert the U and O in quote a lot ... I can't stop noticing it!!!! Sorry. It's lame to point it out. But, seriously, there is a QUOTE BUTTON on the top of every post!

Looking forward to seeing what you decide ring-wise. Just grouchy today I guess. Forgivesies? Should I mention that I'm bleeding profusely from my vagina? :tongue:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1297214828|2847081 said:
Gypsy|1297211061|2847016 said:
LOL. We all have our words that trip us up. Yours is "quote". Mine is ... well ... too many to count. But "marriage" and "definately" are stand outs. Ever since I noticed that you invert the U and O in quote a lot ... I can't stop noticing it!!!! Sorry. It's lame to point it out. But, seriously, there is a QUOTE BUTTON on the top of every post!

Looking forward to seeing what you decide ring-wise. Just grouchy today I guess. Forgivesies? Should I mention that I'm bleeding profusely from my vagina? :tongue:

Mild dislexia babe. I got it. And it aint going away.

Of course on the Forgivesies (I can barely spell that).

And um... is that a crack about my medical issue, or are you really hurting? I can't tell with you sometimes.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isaku... look at timelessluxury.net

Steven got back to me and he thinks that my asscher is probably too small for that design to work well. I'm going to continue emailing him to see what he's like. His initial comments were a little abrupt. We'll see.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1297221117|2847210 said:
[
And um... is that a crack about my medical issue, or are you really hurting? I can't tell with you sometimes.
Medical issue? I just have a ferocious period this month and its probably contributing to my irritability. I just thought it was a funny way to describe "period". I hope yr. okay! Off to figure out what kind of foot in mouth I've chewed on this time .... :???:

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Harumph on your stone being "too small." I hate that. I think it's bull. That's just me though.

I'm glad you're doing something to it to make it more wearable - whatever that ends up being! :rodent:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I spoke to Steven Kirsch of Timeless Designs (.net) and he's given me a reasonable qoute to re-do my halo only on my ring. He seemed to get what I wanted quickly and can go with smaller melee more comfortably than Ocean, which is what I want. I love Ocean, but didn't want to increase the point size on my melee and that was her preference for a sturdier halo. Steven, like Leon, is used to sturdy and mire delicate. So he will be able to keep the point size the same as it is now, or go slightly smaller while re-builidng it for strength.

He did also qoute me for the baguette halo and said that because of the labor it would likely be too high unless I really wanted to invest in the setting... I thought his qoute was on par with other's I've recieved but... he was right, more than I want to spend now. I'd like a honeymoon sometime in the next couple of years. He was almost embarrassed by the cost... it was funny. Like apologetic that the setting was so labor intensive that he'd have to charge quite a bit. I didn't think the qoute was unreasonable at all, but with the price of metals right now a total ring makeover seems sillier and sillier.

He was very nice, good sense of humor. Even keel. When I told him I preferred one thing over another that he mentioned, he took it well. And I really appreciated that. He seemed to understand that it was MY ring, not his. Which, is of course, what you want.

I'm hoping to send the ring to Neil to update the appraisal, get the ring covered under JM and then move forward in the next week or so. I'm excited!

Bridget has been really busy so she did drop me a note but if I am going with a total reset I'd just have Steven do the baguette halo. So I am going to email her and tell her that I'll keep her in mind for a different project in the future and thank her for her time.

We'll see. I'll update with pics when I have a new halo! :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, I'm sorry honey. I've just been genuinely tired and I'm just not 'getting' things. Here's the thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/okay-i-give-in-i-need-advice-no-men-allowed-please.156087/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/okay-i-give-in-i-need-advice-no-men-allowed-please.156087/[/URL]

You didn't put your foot in it, I just was in an odd mental place. I hope YOU feel better soon and ((HUGS)) and, again, sorry.

Gecko, he explained to me why he made the 'small' comment. If the stone is larger the labor is actually LESS though the diamond weight is slightly more and the meta is tool. But the labor is where the cost is. Because of the way the design is it is harder to do it with only 8 baguettes (instead of 12) for a small stone. If I had wanted a 12 baguette style it would have likely been less expensive. But I don't want that... I can get that from JA.

As an FYI... Steven IS MUCH better on the phone than in email. I think he's not very comfortable at ALL with email. Get him on the phone if you want to work with him. He's really nice.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Cool on all fronts. I can't wait to see the end result, and I really hope it will make your ring something you enjoy wearing again!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me too. He's doing the cut down pave. We'll see. It will be nice to have a new/old ring.

The more I thought about a new setting the more I thought about all the things that money could buy. Like stocks. LOL. I've been very spoiled for the last few months.

Only thing I need is a nice vacation. And maybe we'll get one eventually.

Thanks Gecko!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, have you thought about bead set pave at all? It seems sturdier, probably beause there's a bit more metal supporting the melee. This shape halo would show off your asscher nicely.

111PP18.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Laila, I still have the option of Brightcut, which is very similar to the beadset. I've very much stressed to Steven the safety is number one and he did assure me that the V-cut should be okay. But that after he sees the ring he may recommend the bright cut as it also has a channel where the stones sit.

We'll see. Everything is in the mail today to Neil.

And my necklace parts are underway to BGD. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Thank you DS!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAHOO!!! I've got an update.

Steven Kirsch at TimelessLuxury.net (Ex-Leon) recieved my (insured again) engagement ring.

He is going to laser off the halo from the gallery wires and the shank and re-make the halo. He is going to use full cut melee and make me a new halo for my ring and just send me the single cuts (which I now will need to figure out how to re-use :devil:) from my original halo.

Then he is going to re-do my gallery wires and put the new halo onto my old shank (hopefully polishing the old shank remind me to ask him about that).

He's an interesting guy. Honest and blunt, but not offensive blunt or mean at all. Definitely confident, but short of arrogant.

Overall, I am feeling very comfortable with my decision. It was very hard to tell Ocean that I decided to have someone else re-do my halo, instead of having her do it. But ultimately she wants me to be happy and she's a doll as always.

I will have a sketch tonight or tomorrow from Steven to approve the stone layout.

And a completed ring in a couple of weeks.

Very exciting.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
That's awesome Layla!!! I cant wait to see the sketches!!! :appl: :appl: So excited for you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dani|1297819315|2852784 said:
That's awesome Layla!!! I cant wait to see the sketches!!! :appl: :appl: So excited for you!
:appl: :appl: :appl:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm excited for you too! :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys. I'm really excited. I've seen A LOT of Leon Pave, Daniel K pave and some of Durnell's pave (freaking gorgeous). And perfect pave is so beautiful... I'm really hopeful Steven will execute the quality I want.

I REALLY appreciate that he is cost conscious, telling you when something you are considering will cost you more money and even suggesting options that will save you money without you even asking. He NEVER got snotty about repairing my existing setting that was done by someone else because it wouldn't be something he could claim as HIS in it's entirety. No ego and even Maytal, who is known for being easy going, was clearly offended I even suggested this as an option (how do you know if you don't ask? You can just say NO, thanks for asking, but I don't do repairs except on my own work and leave it at that!).

Plus, he never tried to talk me into a fully new setting. Quite the contrary, when we spoke today he said that he was confident that once he changes out the halo I will be in love with MY ring again, that he liked the design, and that I would happy with my decision to go with this instead of a new setting (which *I* had brought up with him initially).

He also was complimentary about my asscher in person, said it was bright and full of life, no comments about it being small. And then he was very blunt that he thought the change to full cut melee was right not just for convenience but for the look too.

Of course the proof is the pudding. The final product is going to be the deciding factor.

I'm nervous about the cut down pave. I'm still wondering if I should switch to bright cut with tinier melee. Gonna think about that over night.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl:

looking forward to see your beauty!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see it :) I hope it is everything you want!

question...why full cuts vs single cuts?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1297832816|2852930 said:
I can't wait to see it :) I hope it is everything you want!

question...why full cuts vs single cuts?
Easier to replace.

ETA: And this is why I have 15 erings. When I see a cool setting I pick out one of my fabulous colored stones and make it the next ering.

We have two very different, but at the same time very similar, problems.

I love the baguette halo. But I'm looking forward to see what Leon's ex-employee (?) does with your diamond!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad that he is willing to work with what you have! Can not WAIT to see the finished result!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, Freke! MrsS and I always say we need more than one e-ring! One just can't meet all the requirements!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy you are finally getting your beautiful asscher redone into a style that you will be able to wear daily! :appl: :appl: I can't wait to see it!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
any sketches yet?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, but they are being re-done. They aren't sketches so much as rough cads to show the stone placement and proportions to the center stone. The original CAD was with 1.6mm melee and V-cut pave and while I liked it, it didn't feel right for MY ring.

So... after much thought and discussion. I'm going with bright cut pave.

I KNOW, I KNOW. I didn't want a metal channel around the pave for my original halo, and I really still don't but Steven has promised me the wall will be as thin as can be.And I really want a sharp distinct octagonal outline to the pave, and I want a smaller point size on the melee so bright cut with super duper thin walls is the best option after talking to Steven today.

The bright cut walls will also provide additional protection for the girdles of the melee which is a nice bonus.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ARGH. I'm so conflicted.

What worked about my old setting is that everything was fluid. I'm afraid all the sharp corners I want on the halo are going to clash with my super rounded shank and my fluid gallery wires.

Why is this so hard? It's just a freaking RING. I'm fixating. I'm giving myself a time out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results