carat
color
clarity

Feeling Crazy... um... re-set my ring?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love the mount you posted--but also has stones that potentially could fall out (as you've already experienced). Only a solitare will be "worry" free in that regard.

I think your present setting is wonderful--but if you want to reset your stone, then why not. LIfe is short.

cheers--Sharon

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Just a suggestion, take the ring out of the safe and wear it on a regular basis for awhile. If you find that it just doesn't work for you, then get a colored stone for the halo setting and reset your asscher. I have a halo setting, which I wear daily. I take all of my rings off when cleaning the house [ha!], dog grooming and other activies that involve more rigorous use of my hands. I do this regardless of the setting. I cannot say for sure, but I think that the Breguet setting will require TLC, as well.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you think you will wear a reset ring more often? Will it really solve the issues that are making you keep it in the safe now?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! Why are you tampering with perfection? :confused: We know how hard you worked to achieve the setting for your asscher and NOW YOU WANT TO CHANGE IT??????????

It sounds to me like you need a 'change', but what?? Have you looked into mounting some of your coloured stones???

If you need a 'project', please let it be something other than your absolutely gorgeous e-ring. :(sad

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love you guys. Just how how each of your 'voices' come through in your posts. I know you are just being really honest and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. I've read everyone's thoughts again and again before posting this.

I have a few decisions to make. I am currently working on a project with an OEC I bought on Ebay (Brian is recutting to get a chip out of the crown of it), an antique chain my grandmother gave me, the diamonds from the seven stone band my mother gave me, and another beautiful OEC that Neatfreak had bought but wasn't using (so I HAD to buy it from her and give the thing purpose). It's basically going to be a DBY, but with the antique chain, with an OEC drop. All of my odds and ends combined into one necklace.

I don't have unlimited funds so while I would love to give someone money for a CAD to just percolate my thoughts...it's not practical.

I will talk to BGD about sizing the Aurora for my right hand. Not that I am going to do it 100%, but just to see how much of a pain it would be. I can't tell you how much I love my Aurora. I am always wearing it. It's just breathtaking.

I just want to love my engagement diamond in it's setting as much as I love my Aurora. I do LOVE my actual asscher. AND I love my setting. But I'm not wearing them.

Can anyone link me to the asscher setting with the double milgrain bezel from Singlestone (old ring, from before I was on PS). I am drawing a blank on the PSer that posted it, but I know it was her sister's ring. I have loved that ring and it was one of the ones that influenced me originally with my setting.

I am also considering just having my current setting tweaked, leaving everything alone but having the just the halo (if that is possible) re-done (lasered off the ring, and then a new halo re-attached to it) with a 'safer' type of pave with full cut melee. Maybe go for a full octagonal halo this time so it's a little different (two melee in each corner instead of one) and not cushiony anymore. Or just see if I can do a double milgrain bezel put on top of my gallery wires... no more pave. Which means I get to keep most of my setting, but just change the part that's keeping me babying it.

As you can see from the novel above (sorry) I've got a lot of thoughts percolating. You are really helping me define my desires though just hearing your thoughts is HUGE in helping me figure out where my thoughts and feelings are at.

NEL... I love you comment about someone hacking my account. You and Deco. LMAO.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

dani13

Ideal_Rock
HI Gypsy,

I LOVE your ring, but if you're not wearing it because of the delicate setting, then I think you should change it! That is such a shame!! Jewelry is meant to be worn!!

I adore Hest's sister's ring. Its beautiful. And your idea about that with the cadillac sides or maybe french cuts would be STUNNING!!

I cant wait to see what you do! :appl:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with your gut Gypsy. I'm one of the few PSers (maybe the only one) who thinks round stone halos detract from the cut. I really like the dbl milgrain setting.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ooh that setting is beautiful. however, if you always wear your aurora band (and why wouldn't you, it's stunning!) then would you ever wear the e-ring? At least if you got the Aurora sized to your right hand then you could wear both?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1295831723|2830919 said:
ooh that setting is beautiful. however, if you always wear your aurora band (and why wouldn't you, it's stunning!) then would you ever wear the e-ring? At least if you got the Aurora sized to your right hand then you could wear both?

That's what I'm thinking. I was originally thinking that my Aurora would be a trade off ring with my e-ring, which is why I had it sized to my left hand (like Diamondseeker said, to have multiple bands to switch off between). But... it's not. I never want to take it off and get pangs when I'm not wearing it.

If it was on my RH I could wear it all the time guilt free.

Terrible to admit. But my Aurora band is my favorite piece of jewelry. Hands down.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dani, Hest's sister's ring is beautiful. Always been one of my all time favorites. Especially since the asscher is 'real' sized and not huge. I'm waiting to see what ideas stick with me, and which ones fall by the way side. If I act too implusively I don't normally enjoy the results as much as I do things that are really well thought out.

Matata, thank you for your wisdom. I'm glad now that I posted this because you all are REALLY making me think. Everyone has such great points, convictions and ideas.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Okay, Gypsy, I'm not going to lie . . . I gasped when I saw this thread. I thought you must be ill. I was worried.

But then I started reading what you expressed about hardly ever wearing the gorgeous ring you have, and I am very firmly in the camp that believes jewelry is to be worn and worn often. Even though I'm a big fan of my own setting, you can bet that I would reset in a heartbeat if something were preventing me from wearing it daily.

Having read many of your posts, though, I fear you might not be satisfied with the Breguet. While it's visually interesting, I fear that your lovely Asscher might "disappear" and feel insubstantial after seeing it in a halo for so long. I think un-haloing is going to be a big, big change in "blingage" regardless of what kind of new setting you get, so there's that to consider, too.

What if you sized your e-ring to be a RHR and wore the Aurora regularly on your left? I see plenty of women wearing their e-rings on their right hands with big, blingy wedding bands on the left--I like the look. If you do that and maybe tighten the pave in your e-ring (in whatever manner works best), I think you'll wear it more often. Just another thought to throw into the mix here :)).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a great idea Kitty. But I think John would be really hurt if my engagement ring was turned into a RHR. If I'm going to wear both rings daily I'd much rather have the Aurora as my RHR, because there isn't any sentimentality placed on it in terms of it's meaning, and leave my asscher for my left hand. Plus, I'm right handed... so anything on my right hand would need to be the one without the pave.

I am warming more to the idea of just getting the halo re-done with a different type of pave and maybe just tweaking the style of the halo... making it more octagonal etc, and getting full cut melee in case of repair. Just to give me a little change, make the pave safer and still keep the setting pretty much the same.

I was thinking of Maytal as she's in LA and I'm going to LA in the next couple months and could sit down in person (and I want to do this in person unless it's with BGD since Brian can read my mind apparently) and see what the options are to tweak the existing setting, instead of a complete re-set.

Other option is working with the bench at Joe Escobar in Campbell. They did Beacon's pave and it's really lovely. Plus they are 30 minutes away.

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
Thank yo uso much for posting a picture of that ring!

I have beenlooking for that ring after seeing it a few years ago, but as I didn't bookmark the page I lost it. I couldn't remember the designer of the name of it.

I simply love the Petite Reines!

Thank you thank you thank you. :appl: I can see why you are considering a reset in that design.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a hunch that it might be more trouble to re-do the current ring than make a new one from scratch. At least the current setting would survive if you set a colored stone into it. I like the Singlestone ring a lot. My favorite halo setting is from them, too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1295838713|2831060 said:
I have a hunch that it might be more trouble to re-do the current ring than make a new one from scratch. At least the current setting would survive if you set a colored stone into it. I like the Singlestone ring a lot. My favorite halo setting is from them, too.

Which begs the question, what is your favorite halo setting, DS... you must share with the class!

BTW... I do TRULY adore this bezel. Any thoughts on this with an asscher that is about 6 x 6, though? I'm not sure that the reason I love it is because it's just such a huge honking piece of bling.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Julia-Bezel-Featuring-a/14932953_XmEfT#1131560863_EmUfL The pave looks like it has prongs, or is bead set and might be a safer than my french cut.

The sun is shining--- Glad to be of help. I love it. Actually my favorite version doesn't have pave on the band under the pavillion of the stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that JBEG ring is beautiful but it wouldn't be right for a 6X6mm stone, I don't think. I think you are more on the right track with the milgrain bezel from SS. Maybe a little more refined, though.

Since you asked =) here are my Singlestone halo favorites for either a sapphire or in my wildest dreams, an AVC! I know it's not what you are wanting, but it is similar in that it has the pretty pieces on the sides:

singlestonesetting1.jpg

singlestonering.jpg

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Gypsy,

Have you seen this ring by Danhov?

http://www.danhov.com/index.php?page=collection&catID=2&sub=6&pID=183&startRow=36&view=

Didn't you want a baguette halo back in the day? When I was working on resetting my asscher, I had inquired about this one. James Allen can get it (that's who I went w/ for my bezel reset), they quoted me $3250 for 18kt WG, which isn't bad for that since the bags have to be custom cut. Since this one has a bezel around the center and the bags, it should hold up really well.

I wish you luck with your decision, I know how hard it is. It was hard for me to reset from my setting that DH proposed with but I am really in love w/ my new setting. Even though I've talked about upgrading my asscher, and some day I will, I really think this setting will last me a long time to come.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1295839620|2831071 said:
BTW... I do TRULY adore this bezel. Any thoughts on this with an asscher that is about 6 x 6, though? I'm not sure that the reason I love it is because it's just such a huge honking piece of bling.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Julia-Bezel-Featuring-a/14932953_XmEfT#1131560863_EmUfL The pave looks like it has prongs, or is bead set and might be a safer than my french cut.

That is really beautiful - and substantial! I do think 6x6 is big enough that it would not look crowded, but perhaps for more impact a bevel around the bezel with v strong lines like LTP's?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
asscher_girl|1295841174|2831088 said:
Hey Gypsy,

Have you seen this ring by Danhov?

http://www.danhov.com/index.php?page=collection&catID=2&sub=6&pID=183&startRow=36&view=

Didn't you want a baguette halo back in the day? When I was working on resetting my asscher, I had inquired about this one. James Allen can get it (that's who I went w/ for my bezel reset), they quoted me $3250 for 18kt WG, which isn't bad for that since the bags have to be custom cut. Since this one has a bezel around the center and the bags, it should hold up really well.

I wish you luck with your decision, I know how hard it is. It was hard for me to reset from my setting that DH proposed with but I am really in love w/ my new setting. Even though I've talked about upgrading my asscher, and some day I will, I really think this setting will last me a long time to come.

That's actually VERY reasonable. The first stone that comes to mind for that setting is Neatfreak's Jeff White asscher sapphire.

I love your re-set AG. You absolutely made the right decision and I think that your bezel is stunning.

Not sure what the right answer is for me. But I do love baguette halos.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
It is isn't it? Now w/ my 6.5 x 6.5 asscher, the bag weight was .54 so it's a pretty delicate halo. The Danhov's look pretty "thick" in the shank and the gallery in photos (that one looks just like mine online) but you saw mine in person - way more delicate.

Good luck on your quest, I can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS that's gorgeous. I love the gorgeous shank and shoulders. That's one of the things I love about Hest's sister's ring as well.

AG, That's what I liked best about yours too, how refined and fluid it was compared to the cads.

GYPSYBag12.jpg This is MY Baguette Halo design. Never did get it made. But it's my favorite (okay so, obviously if I designed it) of any baguette halo.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - If you want to reset your diamond by all means do it, especially if the current setting keeps you from wearing it very often. Find a setting you love and can wear regularly for your diamond, and put a beautiful colored stone in that setting that you worked so hard to create...

However, (and I'm venturing into this territory only because I know you can take it and it probably won't sway you anyway...) I like contemporary settings but I'm not that crazy about the potential replacement ring you posted. It reminds me of the "bridge" or "waterfall" settings that were so popular in the 80's. But that's just my $.02 worth, and based on a single photo of the setting to boot!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1295844713|2831131 said:
Gypsy - If you want to reset your diamond by all means do it, especially if the current setting keeps you from wearing it very often. Find a setting you love and can wear regularly for your diamond, and put a beautiful colored stone in that setting that you worked so hard to create...

However, (and I'm venturing into this territory only because I know you can take it and it probably won't sway you anyway...) I like contemporary settings but I'm not that crazy about the potential replacement ring you posted. It reminds me of the "bridge" or "waterfall" settings that were so popular in the 80's. But that's just my $.02 worth, and based on a single photo of the setting to boot!

VR, you have amazing taste, know me personally, and have seen my ring in person (ad naseaum!). I appreciate your honest thoughts about anything I am considering. I can see what you mean by the 80's settings now that you mention it.

Your .02 is always welcome.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1295845018|2831134 said:
VRBeauty|1295844713|2831131 said:

VR, you have amazing taste, know me personally, and have seen my ring in person (ad naseaum!). I appreciate your honest thoughts about anything I am considering. I can see what you mean by the 80's settings now that you mention it.

Your .02 is always welcome.

I can bring some colored stones for you to play with next time we get together... to explore your options for that vacant setting... if you decide to go ahead with the re-set! :wink2:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thoughts?

1-68ctasscher2.jpg

1236705694_Art_Deco_Style_Asscher_Cut_Diamond_Engagement_Ring_3_4_View_110-1-1286a.jpg

Asscher Bezel with French Cuts.jpg

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1295846398|2831150 said:
Thoughts?

ABSOLUTELY TO DIE FOR! I love them both!!! :love: :love:

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
I love your current setting but if you don't wear it often - change the setting. :)

I really like the Reguet setting (?) you posted. It's unique and something I'd consider wearing every day.

I also like Lil's setting and the Asscher Bezel with French Cuts. :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have crazy idea. And... I love it.

Unfortunately. And I MEAN THIS. It would might mean working with Leon. Which... I don't know if *I* can do.

Simple, super thin bezel. Straight french cut shank-- no tapers. Cathedral. Plain donut gallery. Very plain Profile.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mozambique-paraiba-tourmaline-in-leon-mege-french-cut-ring.151081/?hilit=Leon']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mozambique-paraiba-tourmaline-in-leon-mege-french-cut-ring.151081/?hilit=Leon[/URL] tourmaline

Does Leon DO bezels?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results