shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring Confused and Dizzy

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I was shopping for an upgrade and I went to the diamond district and looked and looked (at the storefronts) until I figured out what I wanted. I wouldn't buy from those guys. They say they are wholesale but they are not. They are every bit as much retail as anyone else.

When you decide on what cut you want, do a search on Pricescope for diamonds that fit your parameters. You will often notice the same diamond is carried by several vendors. That's because none of them actually own the diamond but they will call it in if you want to see it. Of course some vendors do carry some inventory. The best part of this is that you can see which vendors sell if for the cheapest price. And there IS a wide range, as the price goes up. The reason is, different diamond dealers are selling different things. Some have an upgrade policy built into their price and some companies (Blue Nile for example) spend a lot on marketing.

Because my stone was on the larger side, my dealer couldn't not offer a refund or upgrade. So I made dam$ sure I knew what I wanted with no plans to ever upgrade again. This was my dream ring. So didn't pay for the guaranteed upgrade or refund policy but it was a sizable savings to me.

And my last comment probably won't make PS'ers too happy but I am going to say it. I was advised to have a stone cut if I wanted a super ideal cut because not very many of them existing in the size of my stone. But it would come at a much higher price. So while my stone might not have been the most super ideal (it ranked triple ex and 0.9 on HCA), I think it's beautiful and I wasn't willing to pay the premium for that either. It really comes down to what you are willing to shell out for. Don't let people convince you need something that you don't care about. If you can see the difference, fine. But if not, don't pay for it. Buying a diamond really comes down to what you want and what you can live with. I wouldn't let your fiancé tell you what color you want. You might want a larger stone and to come off the color a grade or two.

But I agree with the other posters who say take your time. I have been coming to PS off and on for 10 years planning my upgrade and even only recently learned a lot of new info that helped me. I know you are probably wanting to get engaged and tell the world and all of that. But if getting the best value for your money is important to you, hurrying won't make that happen.

Last of all, I will tell you that I worked with Yoni with Eternity and I think he did an amazing job for me. I feel like he was very honest with me when I questioned him about return policies and such. He also got me over the hump of caring about having a super ideal diamond. I also enjoyed chatting with him about Judaism. He would tell me about the Jewish holidays and things because many times he was taking a day off because of a Jewish holiday and I appreciated learning about them.

He is my jeweler now and most likely forever. (And he is a PS vendor).

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you keep the princess, what if you made it a vintage-inspired three stone with step-cut traps on the sides. It would give you the fire and brilliance of a princess in the middle with the stepcuts of an asscher. Like this wonderful ring by DiamondsbyLauren. The traps in this example are not step-cut, so this is the overall design idea.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...dal-sides-and-matching-wedding-band-gia-r1236

This shows the step-cut traps.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-does-it-again.100293/

I would just want the profile a bit different to allow a flush wedding band rather than a notched one.

upload_2017-12-14_16-51-43.png

Last edited:

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You guys are all amazing! Before I respond to some specific comments, what is HCA? Sorry have not seen that yet, @Allisonfaye and btw, I do think like you. I'm just open to SO's parameters (DEF) for now since I have not seen rings yet and have no basis to agree/disagree with him.

We talked further about our ring and i asked about some relevant questions based on advice I got here. So here they are:

1. Upgrade -- I asked what he meant by wanting to upgrade in the future, did he want to trade-in what we would have now, or just get a brand new gem altogether. I mentioned sentimental value of our first ring. He said he prefer to just get a new gem someday for an important milestone, and keep the first gem as either another ring or changed to necklace. I am okay with this and this helps a lot as it opens us up to more vendors/savings/choices since we won't be trading up after all and have to worry about constraints related to that.

2. Budget. We are still in our budget of max $35k but that would included taxes (so no tax if bought out of state?), and my wedding band -- maybe I can get advice here on a good budget for the wedding band? What do I want -- eternity ring or half pave is fine. I don't care much for the diamond sizes on the band as long as they match the sparkle of the tiny diamonds on the E-ring.

Still looking at rings on Pinterest to determine my preferred shape but I'm getting close. Brb!!

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Allisonfaye @HappyNewLife different perspectives are great! Makes for a richer conversation..

So I think I am determined to get my setting from CvB — are they only on Etsy? Still figuring out the diamond !! I’m one step closer though. I was just floored by how beautiful CvB rings were!!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you had a good experience. Have you tried upgrading with him? I had a very different experience with him - just wanted to warn the OP in case she wants to hear both sides of the vendor coin (I have a post about it). sorry to threadjack
In this particular instance, Hephephippo and her SO have discussed this & will not be looking to upgrade. See her post right above @ #97. So they wouldn't have to take Yoni -- whose rings you and your wife were pleased with -- out of the running.

@Hephephippo, here's my recommendation: take the time to "audition" in person various settings & diamond shapes/cuts-sizes. More than a few of us thereby discovered that what we thought we wanted -- based on photos and what we liked on other people's hands -- was not so appealing on our own hand in real life.

I'm not entirely certain if your SO is hoping to have a ring in hand by Xmas when you visit family, but be assured you can share the joyful news that you two are engaged & planning a wedding without there being a ring on your finger! I speak from personal experience on this ; - )
Also, waiting until January will be, as others have said, a less frenetic, less stressful experience than trying to pull together something at this point -- and especially given the very recent events with that Diamond District vendor, you two deserve to cut yourselves some slack!

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you @MollyMalone — we are definitely taking our time now with no specific deadline. His family knows about our plans and mine will be informed once the ring arrives but we are now also planning the wedding alongside all this (just getting the venue reserved at least).

I think i have settled on CvB for settings. The princess cut looks nice on me so I think anything square-ish may work really. Im going to a brand name jewelry store next week to try on rings just to see how shapes look on me. That was a Great suggestion! I think that should really help me narrow my choices.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Allisonfaye @HappyNewLife different perspectives are great! Makes for a richer conversation..

So I think I am determined to get my setting from CvB — are they only on Etsy? Still figuring out the diamond !! I’m one step closer though. I was just floored by how beautiful CvB rings were!!

My setting in my avatar is a CVB id ring. I highly recommend Caysie-- she and I clicked and worked well together!

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I believe Caysie is CVB.Inspired.design on IG

Omg I just stalked and found your ring. I was staring at it and thinking — this looks familiar. And realized it’s an avatar here, your avatar!!! I never open avatars on PS because I’m using mobile!

But when I saw the ring on IG, I fell in love!! It’s the perfect combination of modern and classic — absolutely love it!!!! I can’t wair to work with Caysie!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg I just stalked and found your ring. I was staring at it and thinking — this looks familiar. And realized it’s an avatar here, your avatar!!! I never open avatars on PS because I’m using mobile!

But when I saw the ring on IG, I fell in love!! It’s the perfect combination of modern and classic — absolutely love it!!!! I can’t wair to work with Caysie!!

Thank you. I LOVE my ring!!!

Oh, and I found this in the archives.... you can file a complaint: https://www.jvclegal.org/

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you are interested in resale value I know Wink (High performance diamonds) offers a 100% trade up policy, and a 80% buy back guarantee. You can't beat that.
You will have sticker shock, but all of their diamonds will knock you socks off and look bigger than their carat size. There are two 2.31 H SI1 diamond, but it is currently on hold. Even if you are color sensitive, feel anything H and above will be safe.

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD8605
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD7776

When in doubt I say go round... I really like both round and Asscher. I know that sounds conflicting but I think both of them would work really well for me.

These HPD look really good. Would you have any advice on what questions to ask when we approach this business?

Since it’s an online purchase, and from a reputable shop, would we still need to get the diamond under ideal scope and HCA and stuff?

Or can we go straight to an appraiser?

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
When in doubt I say go round... I really like both round and Asscher. I know that sounds conflicting but I think both of them would work really well for me.

These HPD look really good. Would you have any advice on what questions to ask when we approach this business?

Since it’s an online purchase, and from a reputable shop, would we still need to get the diamond under ideal scope and HCA and stuff?

Definitely at minimum check the HCA. It's easy to do. And as I mentioned in another thread, I ran the numbers on the Harry Winston stone that was the inspiration for my ring and it ranked 5.2. So yes, don't assume because it's an expensive place, it's a well cut stone. It cost over three times what I paid. :)

From that link: "Secondly, the majority of diamonds sold in the district aren’t well-cut and more than 90% of goods sold there are sub-par in my opinion. On top of that, the majority of shops on the 47th Street have difficult return and exchange policies."

I'm glad you had a good experience. Have you tried upgrading with him? I had a very different experience with him - just wanted to warn the OP in case she wants to hear both sides of the vendor coin (I have a post about it). sorry to threadjack

No, I didn't want to upgrade and never will. Did you post the story somewhere? I am curious.

Sounds like you have similar taste to me although I have never been a princess fan. I started with a square step cut and ended up not really liking it and went to a modified square brilliant branded stone called a regent. But my final upgrade was a round. I went with a more traditional setting because I didn't want it to be dated in a few years. I think many looks become dated, as do stone styles. But round will never be dated. I love asscher by the way and emerald. But I have bony fingers and they never looked right on my hands.

Also, I still think you should spend some time in the diamond district to see what you like. It's the biggest collection of rings and styles with diamonds set you can see in person, I would imagine. Maybe leave your fiancé home so you don't feel his influence on what you want. Some dealers won't let you try on anything unless they are convinced you are a buyer. But others will. Just tell them you are just getting ideas about what you want. Are you in NYC?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you buy a CBI diamond there is a lot of legwork you don't need to worry about. They have a no questions asked return window, and they also include as part of your goodies, viewers to look at your diamond. It will always score as ideal under the HCA, but you can always plug the numbers in. I would take to an appraiser, if your insurance requires that, but otherwise I wouldn't personally bother. The main thing is if you go lower in color and clarity, to see how the stone looks and performs in person. And if you are happy with the size and the price. This is someone whose first diamond I purchased from Wink, got a CBI from Wink (which I sold not due to the stone but because I am going through a divorce). I regretted selling it. Recently bought a loose CBI so in the future I can set it in a ring for myself.

I have also had great experience with Whiteflash's ACA diamonds.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have a CBI diamond from HPD. Wink and his team are amazing and CBI diamonds are top notch. Inclusions are transparent and my SI2 is eyeclean and I can't find the inclusions with a 20x loupe. They send you an ideal scope and a h&a viewer with your diamond. All diamonds are under 2 HCA since Paul (the cutter/owner of CBI) is super discriminating with his rough.

HPdiamonds.com

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also, I still think you should spend some time in the diamond district to see what you like. It's the biggest collection of rings and styles with diamonds set you can see in person, I would imagine. Maybe leave your fiancé home so you don't feel his influence on what you want. Some dealers won't let you try on anything unless they are convinced you are a buyer. But others will. Just tell them you are just getting ideas about what you want. Are you in NYC?

Yes we are in NYC. I am going to try some on next week without my SO, we also made some appointments to go to together including with good old gold. Those are for trying out and learning, but while we are not rushing to get one soon, if a good gem comes along, we won't be opposed to it. :geek2:

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing @whitewave that was very helpful -- in fact we are now putting CBI high on our list. I visited the site and found they had one person in NYC (fifth ave). Did any of you try that route?

Paging @cflutist and @Drizzle

They will be able to give you great advice.

Here is some eye candy:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nie-ring-with-2-793-f-vs1-cbi-diamond.234765/

Drizzle's journey:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nfinity-wf-aca-and-james-allen-gia-3x.235609/

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you @lalala !!

SO and I went to a brand name jewelry store yesterday go try on rings, to determine which cut/shape I like (but won't be buying from that store). It was a helpful process.

We realized that 2.0 plus carat gems were too big on my hand and my lifestyle suits a smaller gem. We are still open to 2.0 carat gems, but will also be opening ourselves to 1.5 carat gems.

In the process, I was also drawn to rounds and asscher cuts a lot, and realized I Didn't mind a simple setting. the one I liked the most had square-ish/rectangular diamonds smoothly lined like a pave on either side of the center stone. They looked like big crystal mirrors on each side and they looked embedded into ring. I will try to find a picture of that ring and put it here.

Quick question: I think my SO has a good budget, if our center stone is smaller will that mean we can get a better quality/sparkly ring?

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We made a few appointments next week and will also reach out to HPD tomorrow -- hopefully Wink will have time. In the mean time, we have educated ourselves online and looked at a few diamonds on blue nile to see what are samples of gems within our budget.

Would like to hear your opinions and thoughts on these diamonds from Blue Nile:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08398579

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09844439

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08933730

We would purchase a loose diamond and have it set perhaps through CvB. We would also love any diamonds you can suggest. We are now certain we want a round brilliant cut 2.0 to 2.5, D to F color range, up to VS2 clarity.

Thank you in advance to those who can offer some thoughts on the links above and, any diamonds from Blue Nile that are super ideal, high performance.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@whitewave that brilliance in an indoor setting is very very impressive!

I am definitely interested in HPD and hoping to reach Wink. My SO will call the 1800 number tomorrow but dear Wink please let me know how to reach you if you see this.

I did want to say tho that the HPDs are remarkable but seems like they are a bit outside our price range. I plugged in our desires parameters and our lowest quoted price is 39k. Our budget is 35k max with tax meeting and wedding ring too. I'm still open to it and would love a conversation with HPD to truly understand this.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave that brilliance in an indoor setting is very very impressive!

I am definitely interested in HPD and hoping to reach Wink. My SO will call the 1800 number tomorrow but dear Wink please let me know how to reach you if you see this.

I did want to say tho that the HPDs are remarkable but seems like they are a bit outside our price range. I plugged in our desires parameters and our lowest quoted price is 39k. Our budget is 35k max with tax meeting and wedding ring too. I'm still open to it and would love a conversation with HPD to truly understand this.

Yes, talk with Wink. Superideals tend to look whiter because if their edge to edge performance. Could you spot the inclusions in my SI2? I've never been able to find them. Super ideals are special IMO...

I also love Blue Nile and own 4 of their diamonds...

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are now certain we want a round brilliant cut 2.0 to 2.5, D to F color range, up to VS2 clarity.
Ok, now I’m the one dizzy and confused! Didn’t you say only 24 hours ago that 2.0+ carats was definitely too big for your hand and lifestyle?

Regardless, if you choose a super ideal diamond you can go lower in color and still have an amazingly white diamond. G/H/I and some SI’s have been known to look just as good as lesser cut F/VS diamonds (in terms of light return and performance, which can mask color). Just an FYI as HPD isn’t necessarily out of your budget. Check Whiteflash too and their ACA offerings. Brian Gavin Blue might be of interest as well if you’re okay with fluorescence (personal preference, and many on here love it).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results