shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring Confused and Dizzy

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
VC is worth reaching out to. So is Caysie at CvB_ID.

Ok so we have a lot of great suggestions here now -- I wonder for particular shapes/cuts are there experts out there? I originally wanted a round because as BVM, think it's the most popular and likely easiest to sell back/get more out of for an upgrade (is this assumption valid?)

But by looks I am okay with the asscher, radiant and emerald.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so we have a lot of great suggestions here now -- I wonder for particular shapes/cuts are there experts out there? I originally wanted a round because as BVM, think it's the most popular and likely easiest to sell back/get more out of for an upgrade (is this assumption valid?)

But by looks I am okay with the asscher, radiant and emerald.

That's why we want to know the cut that you want, to recommend vendors that specialize in those!

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's why we want to know the cut that you want, to recommend vendors that specialize in those!

Ok --- for radiant cuts? I don't see those as very popular but think they are between the emerald and asscher so a great compromise for someone who's not completely concerned about cuts.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Rounds: High Performance Diamonds (sells Crafted By Infinity [CBI]) or Whiteflash (both have the best upgrade policies) also, Brian Gavin (upgrade policy is decent but not as good as HPD and WF)

Again, not an expert but from what I've seen on here:

Vintage Cuts: Good Old Gold (GOG), August Vintage (AV), Victor Canera (VC)

Ovals: AV just came out with a new one that is stunning and would look bomb in a halo! (I know you don't want an oval but maybe something to just check out for fun)

Emeralds/Radiants: Diamonds By Lauren (DBL), GemConcepts/Yoram, VC

Another option, have you ever seen an Octavia diamond???

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rounds: High Performance Diamonds (sells Crafted By Infinity [CBI]) or Whiteflash (both have the best upgrade policies) also, Brian Gavin (upgrade policy is decent but not as good as HPD and WF)

Again, not an expert but from what I've seen on here:

Vintage Cuts: Good Old Gold (GOG), August Vintage (AV), Victor Canera (VC)

Ovals: AV just came out with a new one that is stunning and would look bomb in a halo! (I know you don't want an oval but maybe something to just check out for fun)

Emeralds/Radiants: Diamonds By Lauren (DBL), GemConcepts/Yoram, VC

Another option, have you ever seen an Octavia diamond???

Yoram also does Vintage Cuts, as well as Octavia, Emerald Cuts, Asschers, etc. ;)2
He seems to have a love of all things Vintage. My Asschers are “Vintage Style/Art Deco-ish”...inspired by the earlier cut design. :kiss2:

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
WHOA!! I need to see octavia -- anyone with a great octavia link to share? Never even heard of it.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reached out to @Rhino to try to get you connected re: AV Asscher. He is going to connect with me, tomorrow.
I’ll keep you updated. If he can help you out, I’ll get you connected! He was once with GOG, and has now gone solo, with his own business & unique line of Vintage Cut Diamonds.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds by Lauren, where @Karl_K has recently joined forces, also has the Octavia Asscher.
Between GOG, DBL, and YF, you should be able to find an amazing Octavia.
All others, mentioned multitudes of times in this thread, are also amazing concerning other Cut styles and designs. You have quite a bit to consider, @Hephephippo!!
I’ll let you know what I hear from AugustVintage, Inc.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Ok --- for radiant cuts? I don't see those as very popular but think they are between the emerald and asscher so a great compromise for someone who's not completely concerned about cuts.

Oops just saw this. Radiant is more of a mix between a cushion and princess. It's actually quite like the cushion (your pillow cut) but is more rectangular.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops just saw this. Radiant is more of a mix between a cushion and princess. It's actually quite like the cushion (your pillow cut) but is more rectangular.

^——THIS!!
Step Cuts & Brilliant Cuts are as different as night & day! A Radiant can be mistaken for a cushion, from a distance, depending on how it’s cut!
Here lies another topic of consideration: Step Cut or Brilliant?

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Hephephippo , there has been a ton of great suggestions here! And I love your "pillow" cut comment - that Is what I call it sometimes, lol!

If upgrading in the future for anniversaries / special occasions is something you might do, do check with the vendors on their upgrade policies.

In reaching out to vendors I notice most only cover super ideal cut rounds ( I am looking for EC). Also, once the upgraded stone gets beyond a certain price point, some vendors told me they are not keen to cover it under the upgrade as that means having an expensive 5 to 6 figure non round diamond sitting in their inventory, which can take a very long time to sell.

Check in with them and whoever you do decide to purchase from, get the upgrade and all policies in writing on your receipt during point of purchase. I have seen some PSers burnt from vendors changing their minds about the upgrade when it came time for them to do so, and it's stressful during what should have been a happy occasion.

Congrats on your upcoming engagement - can't wait to see what stone you end up with!:loopy:

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Oh okay. That helps me actually, I can eliminate the pillow/cushion from my choices. I am now down to asscher and emerald, although not completely opposed to round still. I def have a lot to think about and will look at all the cuts to determine which one really appeals to me the most.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Hephephippo , there has been a ton of great suggestions here! And I love your "pillow" cut comment - that Is what I call it sometimes, lol!

If upgrading in the future for anniversaries / special occasions is something you might do, do check with the vendors on their upgrade policies.

In reaching out to vendors I notice most only cover super ideal cut rounds ( I am looking for EC). Also, once the upgraded stone gets beyond a certain price point, some vendors told me they are not keen to cover it under the upgrade as that means having an expensive 5 to 6 figure non round diamond sitting in their inventory, which can take a very long time to sell.

Check in with them and whoever you do decide to purchase from, get the upgrade and all policies in writing on your receipt during point of purchase. I have seen some PSers burnt from vendors changing their minds about the upgrade when it came time for them to do so, and it's stressful during what should have been a happy occasion.

Congrats on your upcoming engagement - can't wait to see what stone you end up with!:loopy:

Wow thanks this is great advice and we plan to do this after our experience. Our budget is max $35k with tax included so I don't think that can afford us something over 5carats, however nothing that, is it correct that round brilliants are the best value especially if upgrading someday?

Thanks again.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh okay. That helps me actually, I can eliminate the pillow/cushion from my choices. I am now down to asscher and emerald, although not completely opposed to round still. I def have a lot to think about and will look at all the cuts to determine which one really appeals to me the most.

A bit of advice that I’ve read frequently is this:
Go to Pinterest. Create a board that pertains to diamonds & settings. Search through the millions of photos, and start pinning your board. After a while, a pattern will emerge. This is also helpful to discover your taste & preferences pertaining to the style you’ll be seeking in the setting portion of the ring. You’ll find a ton of inspiration there!!
You can also browse threads here for ideas, as well...
It’s a great idea to get a visual, and, in doing so, you may be surprised! ;)2

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Go to Pinterest. Create a board that pertains to diamonds & settings. Search through the millions of photos, and start pinning your board. After a while, a pattern will emerge. This is also helpful to discover your taste & preferences pertaining to the style you’ll be seeking in the setting portion of the ring. You’ll find a ton of inspiration there!!

Bless you!! :kiss2: I will definitely start pinning on Pinterest and report back on the result. I'll dedicate an hour tomorrow pinning what I like.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bless you!! :kiss2: I will definitely start pinning on Pinterest and report back on the result. I'll dedicate an hour tomorrow pinning what I like.

Just keep an open mind, and let your heart choose. You’ll find your Diamond Shape & Cut. Once you’ve established that, the search begins. I’ll let you know what I find out from AV. The more resources, the better! :mrgreen2:

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Great advice, but do it without thinking about what you THINK you want if that's even possible now?! Lol..

I looked back at mine and apparently I loved cushions in halos (this was in my early 20's).. now, not so much. Apparently your taste changes between 22 and 29. Who knew?!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow thanks this is great advice and we plan to do this after our experience. Our budget is max $35k with tax included so I don't think that can afford us something over 5carats, however nothing that, is it correct that round brilliants are the best value especially if upgrading someday?

Thanks again.

It is easier to upgrade from round brilliants - but usually (from my discussion with various vendors) it means

1) typically you are tied to buying a round from their premium line (which is more costly) than saying, a cheaper non branded ideal cut round as upgrades only applies to their premium rounds or premium line

2) some insist on clients selecting within their available inventory for upgrades - meaning you are limited in what you CAN upgrade to. E.g. if say you want to upgrade from a round to asscher 10 years later, that vendor who specializes in round cuts may only have 1 or 2 asschers in their actual inventory - which may not fit your needs (e.g. too small, color is not what you want etc)

3) a few vendors point blank told me once it gets beyond a certain price point, even for rounds they are not very keen on upgrading as, round or not, it is much harder to sell an expensive diamond. Plus it means their money is tied up in that big stone which would sit in their inventory for a while, maybe a few years.

I would suggest just going with the shape that you love first, and speaking to vendors about their upgrade policies to see what your options are. :)

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
working remotely is not a problem OP, but within a month certainly is. Did you mean that?

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I could definitely see you heading in the direction of Octavia OP. Check out the spiel at Gem Concept and I would make contact with them if you like Octavia. Having a 2.2-2.5 DEF cut would possibly be an option. Imagine that, a custom cut diamond!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could definitely see you heading in the direction of Octavia OP. Check out the spiel at Gem Concept and I would make contact with them if you like Octavia. Having a 2.2-2.5 DEF cut would possibly be an option. Imagine that, a custom cut diamond!

YES!!! Yoram is awesome!!!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The reason I could see that for you is that Octavia is a step cut but due to it's cut retains strong elements of brilliant cut diamonds. It could be seen as the best of both worlds. Same with August Vintage Asscher, except the cut is close to round-looking from a distance.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew, I tried to read all the replies but you were getting so much advice that my head was spinning!

First and foremost, if you plan to upgrade, you probably are going to need to go with a superideal cut round from Whiteflash or High Performance Diamonds. They have the best round stones and upgrade policies. Either one could have a ring ready and to you before Christmas if they have the stone you want. It could be set in a temporary setting to wear for the holidays and then send it to Victor Canera or Steven Kirsch for the pave setting.

Most emerald cuts and asschers are not going to be under the same kind of upgrade policy or any at all. So I would not recommend those if you are thinking upgrade unless you do not plan to trade in the diamond you buy now. I don't mind helping look for asschers, but for example, if you used James Allen for the diamond, you are required to spend double to upgrade from them.

Yoram primarily sells to jewelers and he recently said he is not taking custom cut orders for diamonds. He might in the case of an Octavia, but it could take weeks for him to acquire the rough to even begin cutting it. The stones he has for sale are on his site and there's not a large asscher or Octavia on there. So I do not think this is a good plan if you'd like to get engaged in less than 3-4 months.

Because of the high color desired, it's going to be challenging to get up to a 2.3 ct stone.

Here is a top of the line WF stone, 2.3 F VS2 at $36k:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3824313.htm

But they do have a really nice one near 2 cts in the $26k range:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3784279.htm

The good news is, these two carat stones will look larger than the one you are returning as they are not too deep and they have excellent light return!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you decide you like round diamonds, I highly recommend Whiteflash. They were a dream to work with. For $35k all-in you could get an (almost) 3-carat diamond and setting. Why do I know this? Because I did that a few weeks ago (let me know if you want me to find my posts and link them) and am still floored daily about how BIG and SPARKLY and WHITE this diamond is (yep, it's an "I" and I can not tell). I get compliments daily on this ring.

example: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3926261.htm

GO BIG! lol. Oh, and buying from an online vendor in another state saves you sales tax :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results