shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring Confused and Dizzy

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think prudent is a better term here than stingy. Stingy implies cheap, prudence implies care. I like everything that @Matthews1127 mentioned upthread, but I would add Leon Mege for setting design. I know that some people have had issues with him in the past, but in my dealings with him he was great.

Leon's work is impeccable

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for all your help, I’ve seen a lot great resources, invaluable knowledge and great diamonds from the links and comments on here. I feel I’m a step closer to the right diamond. Based on the new things I’ve learned, I think I prefer a square/rectangular/emerald shaped diamond with strong preference for the asscher (spelling?). I’m going to focus my search on asschers, cushions, emeralds and the other one that looks similar (forgot what it’s called).

With all this amazing help from everyone here, I feel the need to update about a little situation that just came to light last night as well as seek everyone’s help and advice on how to move forward. I was hesitant to post about it but perhaps I also need to let it off my chest.

In order to keep things separate and organized (as I’m still continuing to search the right diamond, optimistic of the outcome of my sitch), I created a new post about the situation and it’s linked here:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ing-nightmare-in-the-diamond-district.235983/

I would like to keep the integrity of this thread and kindly ask everyone from refraining comments or posting about the situation here, and instead continue to post about diamond search in this thread. I know that other similar threads have been helpful to me and I think this thread, if it stays within topic, may be useful to others in the future who are as confused as I am. Thank you : ) Any advice on my sitch should be posted in that other thread.... thank you again, i want to thank and reply each of the comments so far, and i will do so as I read up and learn more on here.

pokypup

Rough_Rock
Trade
:P2 Hahaha you are right! Savvy was definitely the better word... I don't know why I said stingy. Haha

LOL you can say whatever you want, it just made me laugh. Thats why you are where you are (a great budget) because you are so clever. I've lurked on these boards for ages and if anyone knows how to get best value for money, it's the people here. They will help you not waste your money and spend it in exactly the right places. Getting a high quality beautiful diamond. So listen to them :)

It's interesting some people mentioned pre-loved. That is a personal choice, and with your budget you have such a huge number of options, including new. Pre-loved does limit your options which makes it more challenging. Interestingly, in my FB feed the other day, an article came up on how pre-loved diamond jewerly can be an investment: https://goo.gl/dfJX2x

Good luck with it, you will definitely find the best ring with the help here! I've learnt so much just from lurking I feel.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am back to ring searching. Situation still unresolved (in dispute) but SO and I are going ring shopping. I need all your expertise and help here as apart from being novices, I am stressed and overwhelmed by our recent experience. However SO will be buying a new ring regardless of that experience/outcome.

Here are our details:
Max budget (including tax): $35k
My order of priority:
1. Best Value for Money (can not stress this enough)
2. How it looks -- elegant and timeless are my words, not trendy, edgy or shocking

That's it. The 4Cs come after my order of priority. But I can say I am not a fan of ovals, hearts, and Marquis shaped diamonds. I also like the pave setting but that's also because that's the only setting I really know.

Where to begin?! Reading back on posts here now. Thank you

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am back to ring searching. Situation still unresolved (in dispute) but SO and I are going ring shopping. I need all your expertise and help here as apart from being novices, I am stressed and overwhelmed by our recent experience. However SO will be buying a new ring regardless of that experience/outcome.
Given what you've already gone through, have you considered waiting until after the holidays to resume the search? I suggest that for two reasons... First, inventory is going to be pretty picked over right now, and second, you'll get much better personal service after the madness has passed. Right now ALL good jewelers are SLAMMED, so you most likely won't get A+ service, which you always want of course but especially after you've been through a tough experience already.

Just a thought!

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Given what you've already gone through, have you considered waiting until after the holidays to resume the search? I suggest that for two reasons... First, inventory is going to be pretty picked over right now, and second, you'll get much better personal service after the madness has passed. Right now ALL good jewelers are SLAMMED, so you most likely won't get A+ service, which you always want of course but especially after you've been through a tough experience already.

Just a thought!

Indeed a very good thought. Thank you for this great advice and I think, indeed we will wait after the holidays. We are traveling for christmas and new years anyway to visit family.

Is there a particular country on earth where diamond shopping is good? Just wondering.

Also as we wait for January to come, we want to use the rest of the month to educate ourselves. SO wants me to pick the ring completely as long as I stay within budget and we need to have it appraised as well as it falls within his criteria. He is adamant about the color staying only within DEF.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed a very good thought. Thank you for this great advice and I think, indeed we will wait after the holidays. We are traveling for christmas and new years anyway to visit family.

Is there a particular country on earth where diamond shopping is good? Just wondering.

Also as we wait for January to come, we want to use the rest of the month to educate ourselves. SO wants me to pick the ring completely as long as I stay within budget and we need to have it appraised as well as it falls within his criteria. He is adamant about the color staying only within DEF.
I'm glad you're going to step back for a bit. Time will allow a resolution to the current situation, some emotional healing, as well as the ability to educate yourself better for the next purchase.

And I understand about your SO being a high color snob; mine is too. I was ok going down to a G color but it bothered him. We ended up with a beautiful D/VS1 asscher from IDJ and I have to begrudgingly admit that I have really grown to like the icy white of the stone :mrgreen2:

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
look up Victor Canera Emilya if you like a round diamond. There are a couple for sale on Loupe troop that would fit an over 2 carat diamond, if you liked it and wanted to save a little. Just suggesting that one because it is a truly stunning setting. For diamonds, you can start searching at Rare Carat to get a sense of prices across different criteria and suppliers. I know there are favoured suppliers here on PS, but you never know who might have access to the right diamond for you. I wouldn't rule many suppliers out. You do, however, need to consider other aspects like upgrade and return policies.
Did you do this OP? I want to know if this is on-track or not? You have to decide on a cut! You know you do. So tell us what your cut is and then we can narrow this thing down.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you're going to step back for a bit. Time will allow a resolution to the current situation, some emotional healing, as well as the ability to educate yourself better for the next purchase.

And I understand about your SO being a high color snob; mine is too. I was ok going down to a G color but it bothered him. We ended up with a beautiful D/VS1 asscher from IDJ and I have to begrudgingly admit that I have really grown to like the icy white of the stone :mrgreen2:

Yippee!! This thread is more fun!! :kiss2: Would you be able to share a pic of your ring from IDJ? It sounds perfect and the asscher's have definitely caught my eye!! :)

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Did you do this OP? I want to know if this is on-track or not? You have to decide on a cut! You know you do. So tell us what your cut is and then we can narrow this thing down.

Thanks @scarsmum -- do I absolutely have to decide on a cut? I looked at Victor camera and all the rings are gorgeous. I can say I'm tired toward asscher cuts but I really would not mind other cuts either. All except the oval, heart, pear, pillow, and Marquis. I know I may sound difficult but really my biggest motivation is that it's the best value for the price we are willing to pay.

If I really must pick a cut then -- it would be the asscher, emerald, and radiant cuts. They all look similar to me except the emerald Looks longer.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Of course you have to decide! One reason is that the experts here in assessing diamonds can start to source some stones or assess your selections, but not without knowing what you are looking for. It did take me about 5 months to decide on a cut however. So good luck.

JMK

Rough_Rock
I'm very much like you, the best value for the money is of paramount importance to me. Whether I'm spending $350, $3500, or $35,000, I want a great value above all else.

The absolute best values I have found have been in pawn shops, where they shop didn't know what they have but I did. This is not a fast route, since it involves time to educate yourself and time to look, but when you get a great deal, there is no better feeling. I paid $1300 for a 2.7 TW, G/H Carre cut, platinum channel-set eternity band earlier this year. The pawn shop had no idea what they had. I had it appraised for replacement value and it came in just under $6000.

My next best value are my Crafted By Infinity diamonds, purchased from High Performance Diamonds (Wink Jones, who has been mentioned here). I wanted precision-cut stones that were a good value, and it was probably one of their smallest-dollar purchases ever - two .35 ct, K, SI2 stones that I put into stud earrings. When I was looking, I didn't find any other seller of "super ideals" offering small, J-K, eye-clean SI2s, and I knew I wanted that color and clarity to maximize value. The lifetime return policy was already mentioned in this thread - while I have no plans of using this, it's a very nice (and rare) option to have.

Not the very best value, but better than buying new, was buying a vintage ring from a PS-recommended seller. I could have found a similar item on eBay for about 2/3 the price, but time was an issue and the ring came with a recent appraisal from a reputable source. I felt it was a fair purchase price.

The worst values for me have been items where I have had a custom setting made for a relatively inexpensive stone. I had to do that three times before learning that I dislike all the pieces because they weren't good values, and that fact alone bothers me.

Sending good luck your way for a fun search!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will say that if you are thinking you want a Victor Canera emerald, asscher or radiant then going straight to VC might be the best option. He can source the stone and do the setting design with you. Hell, he can probably decide on a cut too if you want him to!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yippee!! This thread is more fun!! :kiss2: Would you be able to share a pic of your ring from IDJ? It sounds perfect and the asscher's have definitely caught my eye!! :)
Here's the thread on my diamond, where you can read about it and our experience with IDJ - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/we-chose-a-diamond-and-it-glows.230784/

It has several (admittedly crappy iPhone) photos in there. You can also see a video here (it's Yekutiel's voice in the back ground - lol; I didn't know how to mute the sound when I uploaded it)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I LOVE my icy white E color studs.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here's the thread on my diamond, where you can read about it and our experience with IDJ - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/we-chose-a-diamond-and-it-glows.230784/

It has several (admittedly crappy iPhone) photos in there. You can also see a video here (it's Yekutiel's voice in the back ground - lol; I didn't know how to mute the sound when I uploaded it)

Wow.that is practically crystal clear!!! Thanks for sharing... As I'm back reading, it will take me some time to reply to everyone and figure out what ring to go with. I'm trying to really get educated on this.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm very much like you, the best value for the money is of paramount importance to me. Whether I'm spending $350, $3500, or $35,000, I want a great value above all else.

The absolute best values I have found have been in pawn shops, where they shop didn't know what they have but I did. This is not a fast route, since it involves time to educate yourself and time to look, but when you get a great deal, there is no better feeling. I paid $1300 for a 2.7 TW, G/H Carre cut, platinum channel-set eternity band earlier this year. The pawn shop had no idea what they had. I had it appraised for replacement value and it came in just under $6000.

My next best value are my Crafted By Infinity diamonds, purchased from High Performance Diamonds (Wink Jones, who has been mentioned here). I wanted precision-cut stones that were a good value, and it was probably one of their smallest-dollar purchases ever - two .35 ct, K, SI2 stones that I put into stud earrings. When I was looking, I didn't find any other seller of "super ideals" offering small, J-K, eye-clean SI2s, and I knew I wanted that color and clarity to maximize value. The lifetime return policy was already mentioned in this thread - while I have no plans of using this, it's a very nice (and rare) option to have.

Not the very best value, but better than buying new, was buying a vintage ring from a PS-recommended seller. I could have found a similar item on eBay for about 2/3 the price, but time was an issue and the ring came with a recent appraisal from a reputable source. I felt it was a fair purchase price.

The worst values for me have been items where I have had a custom setting made for a relatively inexpensive stone. I had to do that three times before learning that I dislike all the pieces because they weren't good values, and that fact alone bothers me.

Sending good luck your way for a fun search!

@JMK you are my kind of woman!!!! Pawn shops -- I would not have thought that though that's a good lead as a hobby thrift diamond hunt but not for a specific and sentimental E-Ring hunt.

I have to say while I want best value for money, it would have to be within parameters of principle -- like must also come with an exchange policy or guarantee and available within the next month.

I do love the secrets you have shared though :)

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
First thing: decide cut!

Then, decide vendor!!

*excuse me while I go catch up on the posts here*

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG. :appl::love: That was serious eye candy... Are those even real? Can our budget get one of those? Wow...

I just purchased 7 vintage style Asscher Diamonds for an Anniversary Band I’m going to create with my jeweler, here close to home. Yoram is amazing, and his prices are reasonable!! I can’t tell you how wonderful he is...it’s an experience you must have for yourself! He’s not a jeweler; he’s a cutter. You’ll have to have your diamond set by someone else, but Yoram can walk you through that!

11D9F8EA-3257-46A7-A5D2-6C55C26C5AC7.jpeg

ETA: Yoram Cut the Octavia Asscher Diamond. He & @Karl_K collaborated to bring that beauty to life!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just purchased 7 vintage style Asscher Diamonds for an Anniversary Band I’m going to create with my jeweler, here close to home. Yoram is amazing, and his prices are reasonable!! I can’t tell you how wonderful he is...it’s an experience you must have for yourself! He’s not a jeweler; he’s a cutter. You’ll have to have your diamond set by someone else, but Yoram can walk you through that!

11D9F8EA-3257-46A7-A5D2-6C55C26C5AC7.jpeg

ETA: Yoram Cut the Octavia Asscher Diamond. He & @Karl_K collaborated to bring that beauty to life!

@acebruin recently purchased a beautiful Asscher from Yoram, and had it set by CvB_ID! It’s AWESOME!!!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-yellowish-brown-octavia-in-cvb-solitaire.235908/

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Re: IDJ, I don't think they have an upgrade policy but do check.

I think I like VC for you as well. Although, I'm no expert and certainly not a fancy shape expert.

Edit: or Gemconcepts! Or DBL! I'm not sure of their upgrade policies though?

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Re: IDJ, I don't think they have an upgrade policy but do check.

I think I like VC for you as well. Although, I'm no expert and certainly not a fancy shape expert.

I read that VC is based in California -- can we work with him remotely? Also is 35k a good budget for him! He seems so expensive because of his amazing settings..

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
I read that VC is based in California -- can we work with him remotely? Also is 35k a good budget for him! He seems so expensive because of his amazing settings..

If you're comfortable working with someone remotely/online. I believe the majority of PS'ers work with online vendors. I have and will continue to do so.

My band is from IDJ and I communicated via email and they shipped it to me! My current ering (which is in the works of an upgrade) is from James Allen.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results