shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
I completely agree! I've been keeping an eye on the lab grown diamond industry since DeBeers announced Lightbox Jewelry. There are still issues with color/clarity when they try to grow too quickly. I have read that HPHT is better than CVD but most places combine the two. I'm patiently waiting for BTD in Washington state to come out with larger sizes. Most high quality MMD are only available in small sizes, less than a carat right now. Brilliant Earth, Diamond Foundry (Leonardo Dicaprio backed) and Ada Diamonds have mostly J colored, SI1-2 stones that probably aren't cut very well.

BTD MMD are Super Ideal H&A. They will be offering 1 carat in January, 1.5 in the spring and 2 carat in summer 2019. I'm not in a rush, in fact, I want to wait a few more years because I think prices will drop even more. Right now they are only 20-40% cheaper than mined diamonds. BTD will be selling their Ideal Cut Takara Lab Grown Diamonds (D-E color, IF, Ideal, or XXX) for only $1500/ct!!

Thank you for letting me know about the time frame for BTD's lab diamonds. I have the ideal H&A Amora from them and it is gorgeous. I'd love to try out their lab diamonds if they are going to be an ideal cut. I do agree with you about waiting for a few years. Seeing how more people are getting into them, for sure, the market will soon start to get more competitive with the prices. The newer generation, they/we aren't into spending crazy mined diamonds prices when you can get something very similar for a fraction of a price. My fiance has that mindset He said I could just get a CZ engagement ring (Chris CZ is gorgeous), but I talked him to go the moissanite direction instead because they'll last me longer and the cut is better IMO. Once the lab diamonds start, I'm gonna try that for sure :D

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I completely agree! I've been keeping an eye on the lab grown diamond industry since DeBeers announced Lightbox Jewelry. There are still issues with color/clarity when they try to grow too quickly. I have read that HPHT is better than CVD but most places combine the two. I'm patiently waiting for BTD in Washington state to come out with larger sizes. Most high quality MMD are only available in small sizes, less than a carat right now. Brilliant Earth, Diamond Foundry (Leonardo Dicaprio backed) and Ada Diamonds have mostly J colored, SI1-2 stones that probably aren't cut very well.

BTD MMD are Super Ideal H&A. They will be offering 1 carat in January, 1.5 in the spring and 2 carat in summer 2019. I'm not in a rush, in fact, I want to wait a few more years because I think prices will drop even more. Right now they are only 20-40% cheaper than mined diamonds. BTD will be selling their Ideal Cut Takara Lab Grown Diamonds (D-E color, IF, Ideal, or XXX) for only $1500/ct!!

Wow! I had no idea they’d be offering those kinds of prices. I’m wanting near-colorless and I’d be fine with a lower clarity, so it should be even less. That’ll be even cheaper than the quote I got from Tianyu!

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for letting me know about the time frame for BTD's lab diamonds. I have the ideal H&A Amora from them and it is gorgeous. I'd love to try out their lab diamonds if they are going to be an ideal cut. I do agree with you about waiting for a few years. Seeing how more people are getting into them, for sure, the market will soon start to get more competitive with the prices. The newer generation, they/we aren't into spending crazy mined diamonds prices when you can get something very similar for a fraction of a price. My fiance has that mindset He said I could just get a CZ engagement ring (Chris CZ is gorgeous), but I talked him to go the moissanite direction instead because they'll last me longer and the cut is better IMO. Once the lab diamonds start, I'm gonna try that for sure :D

Exactly! Great minds think alike. I trust Less (owner) of BTD because I've purchased his products since 2007. I started with a 1 carat Asha, then a few years later an Amora colored moissanite (they were applying the Amora process to whiten C&C stones only after picking the very best of them, turning away over 90% of the stock they were sent) then the Amora Gem Ultra. They spend so much on equipment and continue to perfect cutting techniques with that robot of theirs. I'll cut/paste some info on their Takara diamonds here. There's no reason to pay so much for lab grown diamonds, I'm just going to wait. I don't see pricing this competitive anywhere right now for this level quality of MMD.

All of our Takara lab diamonds are cut to Super Ideal Eternity Hearts and Arrows specifications (AGS Ideal - 0 equivalent).

Fewer than 1% of all mined diamonds are cut to this level of perfection and beauty. This is because it takes significantly more time and accuracy to do, and cutting for beauty loses larger amounts of rough vs cutting to Ideal cut or lower (Excellent cut, etc). More rough is cut away resulting in greater beauty but smaller finished diamond size. This is why H&A cut diamonds are priced higher than regular rounds.

We cut exclusively to Super Ideal H&A (AGS-0 equivalent) for our Takara lab diamonds, as it is produces the maximum fire and brilliance for diamond, and thus the greatest beauty.

Here is our current pricing, effective 11/16/18:

takara-eternity-pricing.jpg

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
So....yeah...I'm waiting. Sure, you can get lab grown diamonds from a bunch of places now. Even Schubach is selling them in fancy cuts but for $$$. If I can get an Ideal or even XXX, IF, E color, AGS-0 for max $1600/ct, it will be WORTH the wait. And besides, my 20th anniversary isn't for another 5 years. So in the meantime, I will just set aside a little money so I can pull the trigger when the first stones come out. I'm sure they would have ironed out any kinks (if any) by then too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqyLwWegD-a/

CvB is even getting in on the action! This will soon drive prices down! Taken from IG:

BIG NEWS!! Distracted side note: so very impressed with this 8mm rose cut above ground diamond (NOT moissanite nor CZ), D-E color, VS clarity. This lil beacon of pastel colors & light is sold; however...⭐⭐⭐️& this is EXCITING⭐⭐⭐️...I will soon be taking custom cut orders on cultured (lab created) diamonds & offering a signature CvB + AV rose cut...as well as the August Vintage signature antique cuts of ovals, asschers, emerald cut, AVC, AVR...& are working on a pear & marquise shape as well...bounce over to @augustvintage now to see a few examples of their recently released signature cut lab diamonds. 2019 is ramping up to be the best yet #byCvB#cvbinspireddesign#cvbexclusive#cvbsignaturecuts#av+cvb #rosecutdiamond#rosecutdiamonds#augustvintage#antiquecut#labdiamonds#cultureddiamonds#ethicallysourced#conflictfreediamonds#alternativebride#showmeyourrings#ringsofinstagram#marthaweddings#theknotrings

I LOVE the August Vintage line but they are $$$$.

Last edited:

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Wow! I had no idea they’d be offering those kinds of prices. I’m wanting near-colorless and I’d be fine with a lower clarity, so it should be even less. That’ll be even cheaper than the quote I got from Tianyu!

What did Tianyu quote you, curious? Plus BTD has a good track record. They still make the best moissanite cut of all the brands I've seen so far so they're doing something right.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So....yeah...I'm waiting. Sure, you can get lab grown diamonds from a bunch of places now. Even Schubach is selling them in fancy cuts but for $$$. If I can get an Ideal or even XXX, IF, E color, AGS-0 for max $1600/ct, it will be WORTH the wait. And besides, my 20th anniversary isn't for another 5 years. So in the meantime, I will just set aside a little money so I can pull the trigger when the first stones come out. I'm sure they would have ironed out any kinks (if any) by then too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqyLwWegD-a/

CvB is even getting in on the action! This will soon drive prices down! Taken from IG:

BIG NEWS!! Distracted side note: so very impressed with this 8mm rose cut above ground diamond (NOT moissanite nor CZ), D-E color, VS clarity. This lil beacon of pastel colors & light is sold; however...⭐⭐⭐️& this is EXCITING⭐⭐⭐️...I will soon be taking custom cut orders on cultured (lab created) diamonds & offering a signature CvB + AV rose cut...as well as the August Vintage signature antique cuts of ovals, asschers, emerald cut, AVC, AVR...& are working on a pear & marquise shape as well...bounce over to @augustvintage now to see a few examples of their recently released signature cut lab diamonds. 2019 is ramping up to be the best yet #byCvB#cvbinspireddesign#cvbexclusive#cvbsignaturecuts#av+cvb #rosecutdiamond#rosecutdiamonds#augustvintage#antiquecut#labdiamonds#cultureddiamonds#ethicallysourced#conflictfreediamonds#alternativebride#showmeyourrings#ringsofinstagram#marthaweddings#theknotrings

I LOVE the August Vintage line but they are $$$$.
I don't think this is going to drive prices down. CvB isn't actually *doing* anything, she's just in partnership with August Vintage. In fact I think they'll both likely work together to keep their prices higher. August vintage moissanite is still currently 5-10x more than the chinese moissanite, so you are paying for the cut and the name. I don't think their lab diamonds are going to be that cheap either.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
I don't think this is going to drive prices down. CvB isn't actually *doing* anything, she's just in partnership with August Vintage. In fact I think they'll both likely work together to keep their prices higher. August vintage moissanite is still currently 5-10x more than the chinese moissanite, so you are paying for the cut and the name. I don't think their lab diamonds are going to be that cheap either.

I probably should have clarified that she's not doing anything different, I was merely pointing out the fact that more and more companies are offering lab grown diamonds. Examples: Ada Diamonds, Diamond Foundry, Brilliant Earth, DeBeers (Lightbox), Clean Origin, etc...eventually prices will come down, they have already:

http://www.mining.com/web/price-lab-created-diamonds-continues-fall/

Personally, I prefer moissanite for antique cuts, especially in JK color, like the ones from India. I've recently discovered Tianyu and StarGems and am having a ring made right now with a GORGEOUS elongated OMC, 9x11, GH color. Eventually, I would like to own a 2ct, well cut lab grown diamond in a simple solitaire. I'm not in a rush though.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably should have clarified that she's not doing anything different, I was merely pointing out the fact that more and more companies are offering lab grown diamonds. Examples: Ada Diamonds, Diamond Foundry, Brilliant Earth, DeBeers (Lightbox), etc...eventually prices will come down, they have already:

http://www.mining.com/web/price-lab-created-diamonds-continues-fall/

Personally, I prefer moissanite for antique cuts, especially in JK color, like the ones from India. I've recently discovered Tianyu and StarGems and am having a ring made right now with a GORGEOUS elongated OMC, 9x11, GH color. Eventually, I would like to own a 2ct, well cut lab grown diamond in a simple solitaire. I'm not in a rush though.
Oh got it. I do agree that more companies promoting lab diamonds WILL bring the prices down in general. Right now brilliant earth and some of the other companies are seriously over charging, but those prices will definitely come down with all of this.
Apologies for misunderstanding!

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Oh got it. I do agree that more companies promoting lab diamonds WILL bring the prices down in general. Right now brilliant earth and some of the other companies are seriously over charging, but those prices will definitely come down with all of this.
Apologies for misunderstanding!

No problem. I'm shocked at how high the prices are! BTD's Takara MMD is the only one that has reasonable pricing at $1250 to $1600/ct for Super Ideal H&A AGS-0, E color, IF lab grown diamonds. It's just a matter of time before they offer bigger sizes, I don't mind waiting. Here's their pricing chart, what do you think?

takara-eternity-pricing.jpg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
What did Tianyu quote you, curious? Plus BTD has a good track record. They still make the best moissanite cut of all the brands I've seen so far so they're doing something right.

I had them quote me in mm’s since that’s how I got my moissanite prices. My setting is already made so I need it to be pretty precise. For G-H color the 5mm’s (.5 carat) are $583 and the 7mm (1.25 carat) is $2292.

Comparatively depending on cut and clarity, it’s about $2k less than BE. Not sure I’d want to be the guinea pig in this one though. Lol. I’ll probably get moissanite now and wait for Takara later.

After doing some math, they’re right at $1500/carat, so on par with BTD, which is insane.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
After seeing this, I’ll definitely go this route eventually. I want a near colorless and VS or VVS clarity, so these prices are bananas.

Thanks for all the info!

My pleaseure. :razz: Too bad Tianyu is charging so much! I would be willing to take the risk if they were half the price. I would then have to pay to have the cut/color/clarity confirmed at an independent lab. I'm not doing that.

Have you looked at Clean Origin? They have decent pricing (compared to Brilliant Earth), especially if you're not looking for E color, Super Ideal. If you don't need a diamond right now, wait for BTD.

https://www.cleanorigin.com/diamonds

hyperlactemiac

Rough_Rock
Oh! I'll try to reply to all of you in one post so I don't spam this thread. Firstly;

7AEDC7DF-37E5-4898-A5A1-7889C44F4152.png

Here's the CAD, in case any of you would like to use the same dimensions etc!
Unfortunately didn't get a chance to get any good pictures in natural lighting today as the sun is only up while I'm at work. Will try to get a few pics or videos over the weekend to post. I did take a picture in my office today but they don't do the ring justice at all. I'm blinded every time I look at it! The clarity also looks great to me, as emerald cut is one of the cuts that reveal inclusions more easily I was a little worried about that.

IMG_1463.jpg

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I took at look at their website and decided to get a quote for this ring. Isn't this a tension mount? Their site says it's prong, so I was confused. I heard from Ella regarding pricing, but then asked her about the integrity of the setting...and haven't heard anything back. LOL She probably didn't know how to respond. Anyhow, would any of you be comfortable ordering this? I'm just worried the stone will fall out. I'm a twit.
Screen Shot 2018(12-11-11-01-47).png BD63B8C7-298B-4931-B3AE-D477C7AC431A.png

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
So, I got the video and pics of my petite knife edge solitaire from Tianyu. The setting itself looks good, but the stone does not to meO_O I don’t know if it’s the background or what. I asked her if it’s the thicker arrows of their H&A model and Emily said yes. I usually will ask to see my loose stone before they are set, but this time I didn’t. I told her to send it. We’ll see how the stone looks in real life. If I’m not happy with the stone, I’ll just order another 7.5mm thick arrows H&A cut from SG to replace it (since I am curious about their new cut anyway) and I’ll just sell the one from Tianyu. Fingers crossed it looks good in person.

703979655087488916.jpg 740805702350097800.jpg 515112235183423570.jpg

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Oh! I'll try to reply to all of you in one post so I don't spam this thread. Firstly;

7AEDC7DF-37E5-4898-A5A1-7889C44F4152.png

Here's the CAD, in case any of you would like to use the same dimensions etc!
Unfortunately didn't get a chance to get any good pictures in natural lighting today as the sun is only up while I'm at work. Will try to get a few pics or videos over the weekend to post. I did take a picture in my office today but they don't do the ring justice at all. I'm blinded every time I look at it! The clarity also looks great to me, as emerald cut is one of the cuts that reveal inclusions more easily I was a little worried about that.

IMG_1463.jpg

I said this before but I will say it again, your ring is perfect! The proportions are really nice.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
So, I got the video and pics of my petite knife edge solitaire from Tianyu. The setting itself looks good, but the stone does not to meO_O I don’t know if it’s the background or what. I asked her if it’s the thicker arrows of their H&A model and Emily said yes. I usually will ask to see my loose stone before they are set, but this time I didn’t. I told her to send it. We’ll see how the stone looks in real life. If I’m not happy with the stone, I’ll just order another 7.5mm thick arrows H&A cut from SG to replace it (since I am curious about their new cut anyway) and I’ll just sell the one from Tianyu. Fingers crossed it looks good in person.

703979655087488916.jpg 740805702350097800.jpg 515112235183423570.jpg

The arrows do look thicker, maybe it's just hard to see in the video? I do see what you mean though. Maybe it will look different in real life. Please post pics of Star Gems H&A, I've only seen one on WB and it looked great! The setting is really well executed. Perfect thin knife edge.

Last edited:

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
I took at look at their website and decided to get a quote for this ring. Isn't this a tension mount? Their site says it's prong, so I was confused. I heard from Ella regarding pricing, but then asked her about the integrity of the setting...and haven't heard anything back. LOL She probably didn't know how to respond. Anyhow, would any of you be comfortable ordering this? I'm just worried the stone will fall out. I'm a twit.
Screen Shot 2018(12-11-11-01-47).png BD63B8C7-298B-4931-B3AE-D477C7AC431A.png

I've seen a few rings on this thread that people have ordered directly from their Alibaba site (not custom) and they are beautiful. I use very plain language when communicating with my rep. Seems to help. I have even used English to Mandarin Chinese google translate to get a point across.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello folks, hoping for some input on an issue I'm having...
I ordered a moissanite ring from tianyu, received it and its stunning. At first I thought maybe my fingers were bloated from salt or recent weight gain, but it was tight. I wasn't able to wear it! I finally got around to a jewellery store to measure it, its almost a full size too small! I messaged back Ella and she asked me to find out what the cost to size it up or re-set the stone in a setting they would send for free. Both work out pretty similar (and pricey, canadian pricing vs china pricing). Ella is balking at the price and only offered to send a new setting for free - but I would still have to pay for it to be set! I'm upset because its not *my* fault its the wrong size, and I shouldn't have to pay to fix their mistake. Any advice??

As an update on my situation, they said if I ship it to them via China air mail they will resize it and send it back, and refund my shipping costs. I'm not sure how they will send it back (DHL or china air mail), but I'm assuming that is covered on their end as well. I've never shipped anything TO china before, so this should be interesting lol.
So as an update, my ring finally arrived - sent Oct 17, Ella confirmed it arrived on Dec 6. I got the DHL notification today, Dec 12, and it's set to arrive on Friday Dec 14. Waiting for it to arrive was pretty nerve wracking, but they would only refund the cheapest shipping method, which they did. Ella didn't send me a note or anything before shipping it. I hope to god its correct this time.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
So as an update, my ring finally arrived - sent Oct 17, Ella confirmed it arrived on Dec 6. I got the DHL notification today, Dec 12, and it's set to arrive on Friday Dec 14. Waiting for it to arrive was pretty nerve wracking, but they would only refund the cheapest shipping method, which they did. Ella didn't send me a note or anything before shipping it. I hope to god its correct this time.
Oh my goodness that took sooooooo long! So happy they received the ring, fixed it and sent it back. Just a few more days to wait. Hang in there. Thanks for updating your post, I will remind my rep to make sure my ring is sized properly.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness that took sooooooo long! So happy they received the ring, fixed it and sent it back. Just a few more days to wait. Hang in there. Thanks for updating your post, I will remind my rep to make sure my ring is sized properly.
I know! Such a stupid thing to mess up. And besides that it was really lovely.

tonielle

Rough_Rock
They did forget to send me some the side stones just in case any of them fall out.
Beautiful ring! Similar to what I want (and considering getting from them). Did they promise the extra stones free of charge? The ring I want has small stones in the band, but the band I want is even thinner (maybe 1.5mm) and I I hear that’s a disaster waiting to happen. But i love a dainty band!!!!

hyperlactemiac

Rough_Rock
Hmmm. What do you guys think.
White or rose gold?

6231863D-7840-4E9C-948A-D8CD7F21A657.jpeg 606320B8-7647-48EE-B430-5BAAC8EF28F1.jpeg

I loooove the rose gold! I think it makes the paw stand out more and to me it looks more luxuirous in a way. So excited to see how this turns out!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Actually the price difference wasn’t very much between rose Gold and silver so I’m going to go with rose gold cause it reminds me of his fur color more. :kiss2:

Rose gold is beautiful! I think that is the better choice anyway.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results