shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Actually the price difference wasn’t very much between rose Gold and silver so I’m going to go with rose gold cause it reminds me of his fur color more. :kiss2:

The rose gold is lovely and if it reminds you of his fur, then it's a win-win. I can't wait to see the pendent when it's done.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Tres jolie! Simple and elegant. Please post hand shots when you receive it.:love:

I’m hoping it doesn’t show too much color. I’m seeing a yellow tint. I asked about it before they ship it out.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
I’m hoping it doesn’t show too much color. I’m seeing a yellow tint. I asked about it before they ship it out.

It probably won't show any color looking straight down at it, but perhaps a tiny bit when looking from the side, but it won't be significant enough to bother you. I find moissy step cuts to show a wee bit color even when they are colorless.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

tonielle

Rough_Rock
So I’ve been in contact with Ella and Annabella about this ring as my inspiration: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZl1Siznp-C/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=yl3hfjc11pkr

But a genius poster in this thread suggested to look through their alibaba store to see if they’ve created something similar. My biggest fear was that I’d get frustrated with the back and forth about details and getting lost in translation. I found some similar styles! I figure that’s safer to go with a design that they’ve worked with and tweak that if needed.

1) I do plan on wearing this ring most of the time. Would this setting be more susceptible to coming apart?

I also found this, which is similar head on, but is a cathedral style and has a basket. Would that make the prongs and stone more “sturdy”? https://cloud.video.taobao.com/play...800312.8.6b687561CiKAUw&file=214868499941.mp4

Here’s the ring that I found is almost identical to what I wanted, but I’d request claw head prongs: https://vod-icbu.alicdn.com/NwUxLwNiPQDpRtQAIbY/IiSxU0N4mguDvLtr9uW@@hd.mp4

2) Do you think I could go even thinner in the band?

3) Has anyone ever seen an H&A cushion from there? I’ve never heard of that. I thought H&A was only for rounds!

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
So I’ve been in contact with Ella and Annabella about this ring as my inspiration: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZl1Siznp-C/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=yl3hfjc11pkr

But a genius poster in this thread suggested to look through their alibaba store to see if they’ve created something similar. My biggest fear was that I’d get frustrated with the back and forth about details and getting lost in translation. I found some similar styles! I figure that’s safer to go with a design that they’ve worked with and tweak that if needed.

1) I do plan on wearing this ring most of the time. Would this setting be more susceptible to coming apart?

I also found this, which is similar head on, but is a cathedral style and has a basket. Would that make the prongs and stone more “sturdy”? https://cloud.video.taobao.com/play...800312.8.6b687561CiKAUw&file=214868499941.mp4

Here’s the ring that I found is almost identical to what I wanted, but I’d request claw head prongs: https://vod-icbu.alicdn.com/NwUxLwNiPQDpRtQAIbY/IiSxU0N4mguDvLtr9uW@@hd.mp4

2) Do you think I could go even thinner in the band?

3) Has anyone ever seen an H&A cushion from there? I’ve never heard of that. I thought H&A was only for rounds!

Hi there! That Tianyu ring looks so much like what you want from MOCO , especially from the top looking down. The hidden halo is so pretty and the band already seems to be very thin. Looks like it's 1.5 or 1.6mm wide and 1.3mm thick. I wouldn't go thinner than that. I like the Tianyu design because it looks like a band will sit flush. I *think* you can ask Tianyu to send some extra melee with your ring just in case you lose a stone but that shouldn't be an issue if you're not too hard on your rings. I know whisper thin bands are all the rage right now but if you plan on wearing your ring everyday, then I suggest you go no lower than 1.5mm. I also notice stacking bands tend to come in that width so buying those will be a breeze.

To answer your question about the basket, I really like them for larger stones but if the ring is made well, it shouldn't matter. In the Tianyu ring, it already comes with what you want which is a thin band, claw prongs with the addition of lovely hidden halo for a nice profile view. You could literally just tell them your finger size, metal choice and center stone size. Done. You already know they can execute the ring.

Last edited:

tonielle

Rough_Rock
Hi there! That Tianyu ring looks so much like what you want from MOCO , especially from the top looking down. The hidden halo is so pretty and the band already seems to be very thin. Looks like it's 1.5 or 1.6mm wide and 1.3mm thick. I wouldn't go thinner than that. I like the Tianyu design because it looks like a band will sit flush. I *think* you can ask Tianyu to send some extra melee with your ring just in case you lose a stone but that shouldn't be an issue if you're not too hard on your rings. I know whisper thin bands are all the rage right now but if you plan on wearing your ring everyday, then I suggest you go no lower than 1.5mm. I also notice stacking bands tend to come in that width so buying those will be a breeze.

To answer your question about the basket, I really like them for larger stones but if the ring is made well, it shouldn't matter. In the Tianyu ring, it already comes with what you want which is a thin band, claw prongs with the addition of lovely hidden halo for a nice profile view. You could literally just tell them your finger size, metal choice and center stone size. Done. You already know they can execute the ring.

Thank you!!! 1.3mm for thickness seems a bit thin to
me if that’s the case. Do you think if I matched the thickness to the width, the ring would look “off”?

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!!! 1.3mm for thickness seems a bit thin to
me if that’s the case. Do you think if I matched the thickness to the width, the ring would look “off”?

I went back and looked at that Tianyu video again and the thickness appears to be more than 1.3mm, it's closer to 1.6-1.mm which I think is fine. I think that ring is gorgeous as is. So gorgeous in fact, I think I am going to order one with an OEC.

tonielle

Rough_Rock
I went back and looked at that Tianyu video again and the thickness appears to be more than 1.3mm, it's closer to 1.6-1.mm which I think is fine. I think that ring is gorgeous as is. So gorgeous in fact, I think I am going to order one with an OEC.

Lol I love how we all just keep enabling each other here!!!

What size OEC? I’m an H&A fan myself, but debating 7.5 or 8 this will be my new wedding set

ETA: in case you need more enabling for this specific style from Tianyu. None in OEC unfortunately :(

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpoNRqVHPJl/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnk8VWkhepi/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet (this one looks a bit thicker than the others)

Last edited:

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Lol I love how we all just keep enabling each other here!!!

What size OEC? I’m an H&A fan myself, but debating 7.5 or 8 this will be my new wedding set

We really are enabling each other! I have one ring in the works and am planning another one but will buy straight from Tianyu's Alibaba store. The lovely women here have already gone through the work of perfecting everything!

I am a big stone on small fingers kinda gal so I will tell you to go with the 8mm. Shrinkage is REAL! I started off with 1 carat, looked huge for a few days then started to look smaller and smaller. So my next purchase was a 7mm, that looked big for a day maybe, so a few months later, I re-set it into a halo. Now years later, I going with a DEW (diamond equivalent weight) of 5 carats, LOL. I'm really trying to ward off shrinkage this time around. Anyway, size 4.5-5.5 look amazing with 8mm stones.

OEC= Old European Cut . It has faceting like my profile pic, usually with a high crown and small table, but the shape is round. I think moissanite was made for antique cuts! I see less double refraction in antique cut moissanite. I also love warmer colored antique stones so when everyone was paying to whiten their stones 10 years ago, I was thrilled with my buttery L colored unenhanced OEC.

I've been eyeing Tianyu's H&A, many people have purchased it here and seem to really like it. In the video, it even appears to have a more diamond like (less flat) table.

tonielle

Rough_Rock
Shrinkage is REAL!

I keep reading this! None of my friends know what a Moissanite is. I've heard about them for years and love the way they sparkle and actually enjoy the splintery, cold, steely look lol. They all have a 1ct ish diamond and looks tiny to me. I'm sure they will think my next ring is ridiculous. lol

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The enabling on this thread is real! I keep watching for something that I just *have* to have. :mrgreen2:

tonielle

Rough_Rock
The enabling on this thread is real! I keep watching for something that I just *have* to have. :mrgreen2:

I haven’t worn rings in years, and dug up my old promise ring today. I’m wearing it and whenever I see my hand in the mirror, I think, “wow, this ring really makes my hand look nice!” LOL I have a feeling I have reawakened my old jewelry hobby....

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the Tiffany inspired platinum 7.5mm OEC I purchased preloved from @mrsgreeneyes. LOVE. It’s SO comfortable and looks fabulous with either a diamond band or plain platinum one (I got a relatively inexpensive one from eBay and love it). As my skin allergies come up, I know this is the remedy. :) but - they’re not awful yet and for days I want yellow gold, I was thinking of ordering the same one but in 6.5 mm for less blingy days (the 7.5 mm doesn’t bother me but I don’t know that I want the identical ring just in a different metal - or maybe I do). The band and head would both be yellow. I thought about a different stone shape but tried that before and it didn’t suit me (at least to my own eyes). I get bored with rings and like to swap them out based on my mood, outfit, and activity for the day. Sometimes a band, sometimes a stone, too, but the comfiness of the platinum ring makes me wear it a lot.

I also have a 7mm OEC moissanite in my original engagement ring (taking out the diamond - which is an old OEC - from that to put back in its original cocktail ring home is what started this crazy Tiyanu journey!). It’s a classic setting (solitaire with baguettes in platinum and yellow gold so two tone, essentially platinum on the top of my finger and yellow on the bottom) but not as comfortable as the glorious knife edge from Tiyanu.

Do you think my plan is crazy? I realize who I’m asking!

Attachments

• 29541E9E-5127-4BF0-AC43-C27A4AAD1A5A.jpeg
    29541E9E-5127-4BF0-AC43-C27A4AAD1A5A.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock

Thank you! I think follow them all. SG has fewer.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful ring! I think when you look face down at the ring, it won't show any color. When tilted to the side, however, you might be able to spot a *hint* of warmth, which in my opinion makes it look more natural and diamond like. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It seems that step cuts are the last frontier for moissanite to really get to a true colorless place. I think it has to do with the cut and the inherent properties of moissanite. It's also easier to see double refraction in bigger sizes. It's still a GORGEOUS stone and one I would be proud to wear. There is no telling that the lighting might be coming into play in the video as well. You could ask them to place the ring on a sheet of white paper, that might better help you see whether or not the stone has as much warmth as you seem to think it does.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry here is the link to the video:

The stone looks really warm and I asked for e/f color.

I spoke to my Rep Sophia, and she assured me it is whiter in person and def color. This is the third ring I have purchased from her and she’s been honest with the other two. So I told her I trust her and for her to ship it out. Let’s hope it is whiter in person.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful ring! I think when you look face down at the ring, it won't show any color. When tilted to the side, however, you might be able to spot a *hint* of warmth, which in my opinion makes it look more natural and diamond like. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It seems that step cuts are the last frontier for moissanite to really get to a true colorless place. I think it has to do with the cut and the inherent properties of moissanite. It's also easier to see double refraction in bigger sizes. It's still a GORGEOUS stone and one I would be proud to wear. There is no telling that the lighting might be coming into play in the video as well. You could ask them to place the ring on a sheet of white paper, that might better help you see whether or not the stone has as much warmth as you seem to think it does.

Yes, I agree. You definitely see more warmth in step cuts/fancy shapes in moissanite. I hope it looks beautiful in person.

hyperlactemiac

Rough_Rock
Yes, I agree. You definitely see more warmth in step cuts/fancy shapes in moissanite. I hope it looks beautiful in person.

Ahhh it looks gorgeous! Make sure to post some hand shots when you receive it. I honestly think it’ll be more white in real life. I had the same concern with mine when I received the final pictures and videos, but went ahead without much thought as I have rose gold metal and figured it would be fine either way. However, it is very white in real life! It looks pretty white from every angle and doesn’t even seem to reflect the color of the metal at all. The clarity is also fantastic which is important for step cuts. I’ll add a picture I just took outside of mine, may ease your mind!

612626EC-A755-48A9-9A6A-114C7A6E73A9.jpeg

Attachments

• ED29D224-19AD-4E6B-BF87-48D7588351DD.jpeg
    ED29D224-19AD-4E6B-BF87-48D7588351DD.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 29

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh it looks gorgeous! Make sure to post some hand shots when you receive it. I honestly think it’ll be more white in real life. I had the same concern with mine when I received the final pictures and videos, but went ahead without much thought as I have rose gold metal and figured it would be fine either way. However, it is very white in real life! It looks pretty white from every angle and doesn’t even seem to reflect the color of the metal at all. The clarity is also fantastic which is important for step cuts. I’ll add a picture I just took outside of mine, may ease your mind!

612626EC-A755-48A9-9A6A-114C7A6E73A9.jpeg

Your ring is gorgeous!! I’ll be sure to post some pictures once I receive it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results