shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, all! I actually looked at some of the Tianyu OECs from one of their reps and they look a little too “flowery” for me. I didn’t know they could emulate the AV OEC. I might just ask about that since I feel a little lukewarm with what I was shown.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
For what it's worth- I didn't order from Tianyu
recently but I did order a moissy from another overseas vendor- Winnie Zhow. Actually found out about her from the sub reddit mentioned. It's a round antique cushion set in a simple 6 prong setting and I've really been enjoying it. It's seems there are lots of overseas vendors to choose from nowadays. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Attachments

• PXL_20221226_002416918.jpg
    PXL_20221226_002416918.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 85

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
For what it's worth- I didn't order from Tianyu
recently but I did order a moissy from another overseas vendor- Winnie Zhow. Actually found out about her from the sub reddit mentioned. It's a round antique cushion set in a simple 6 prong setting and I've really been enjoying it. It's seems there are lots of overseas vendors to choose from nowadays. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Thank you for the photo and reference! Your ring looks beautiful!!! :kiss2:

I’m so glad that there are more overseas vendors these days and that moissanite prices have dropped significantly since I first discovered them. I wish American vendors would price drop at the same degree. The stones are still cheaper than what I remember but still hundreds of dollars. Meanwhile a 6.5 moissy round from Tianyu is 40-50 percent less than what I paid back in 2019!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the photo and reference! Your ring looks beautiful!!! :kiss2:

I’m so glad that there are more overseas vendors these days and that moissanite prices have dropped significantly since I first discovered them. I wish American vendors would price drop at the same degree. The stones are still cheaper than what I remember but still hundreds of dollars. Meanwhile a 6.5 moissy round from Tianyu is 40-50 percent less than what I paid back in 2019!

Of course! And thank you

Yes, totally agree that you it would be nice if american vendors dropped their prices as well. I sold my beloved C&C OEC (still my favorite oec moissanite of the many out there) because I'm consolidating my collection and wanted a slightly larger stone moissanite ring for travel and life with kiddos. I considered replacing it with another C&C OEC because I love the cut so much but for less than half the price of a stone alone, I was able to get an entire 14k ring overseas so I couldn't justify purchasing it. Especially considering what I sold the ring for preloved was loads less than the price it was years ago when I originally purchased and that many overseas vendors offer beautifully cut stones! Looking forward to seeing what you decide on if you come back and share!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, I can’t believe this thread hasn’t been updated in over a year. I’ve been thinking about getting an OEC from Tianyu since MoissaniteCo and Distinctive Gem are still much more than I’d like to spend on moissy, especially now that lab diamonds are becoming more affordable these days. Does anyone still buy from Tianyu these days?

If you decide you want a cheap h&a type stone, I bought three stock sterling solitiare rings from Kalala on AliExpress. One is 9mm / 3ct G/H color, one is 6.5mm G/H, and one is supposed to be 6.5 mm D color but it looks more like 6mm diameter to me. All the stones are great cut and polish, though. The 9mm has luscious fat arrows, and I can see arrows in the two smaller stones, as well. I looked at the 9mm with a H&A viewer and the bi-refringance makes the arrows look slightly fuzzy, but the symmetry appears quite precise. It's a great stone and definitely a great fun ring for only $53 or so. I have an AGS 000 ISEE2 Good Old Signature H&A diamond and these cheap moissanites from Kalala look pretty darned diamond-like to me, and colorless. No haze, no blue tints, no negative characteristics. I also got a loose 6.5mm and loose 7.5mm stone from them but haven't had time to evaluate them yet. I'm replacing battered CZs and old yellowish moissanites in my rings. All of my older C&C moissanite from 2005-2007 now looks intolerably yellow to me after cataract surgery. I am liking the whiter Chinese moissanite much better nowadays.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I finally got an OEC from Tianyu. It’s gorgeous and better than I’d hoped it would be. I have it here next to my MRB lab diamond (.75 ct):

IMG_4434.jpeg

It has a high crown and small table and it’s whiter than my GH stones from Starsgem, interestingly! For some reason I’m not able to take a photo of the stone with half the table going dark but it’s not like that IRL. Here is another photo with my OMC from Starsgem:

IMG_4407.jpeg

Not sure what I’ll do with this stone but I am definitely keeping it. I realize I prefer squares and rounds over elongated shapes and I like my non-colored stones to be on the “smaller” end.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to specify that the color of my OEC is a G. The lab diamond is an E and the OMC from Starsgem is a GH. Side by side the diamond is definitely whiter than the OEC and has more depth, although it is difficult to tell based on my photos. The tint of the OEC is more apparent against a white background, although it faces up very white. Then again I’m not color sensitive.

IMG_0574.jpeg

I’m still shocked that the Tianyu near colorless is whiter than both my near colorless OMCs I got from Starsgem. I would have thought they’d be similar…

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know the current order to ship time? I ordered my first ring and I was not given a time yet.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know the current order to ship time? I ordered my first ring and I was not given a time yet.

I ordered a ring from them after Christmas. It took about 3 weeks. I think most of the Chinese vendors complete rings within 2 weeks average.

jso72

Rough_Rock
I ordered Friday morning & was told usually 15 days. Hopefully!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m getting a group buy 10 kt moissy emerald cut eternity for $227.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
After being majorly disappointed with an emerald I received from Starsgem, I asked Sue if I could see Tianyu’s emeralds. She sent a video, although unlike Starsgem Tianyu doesn’t specify whether their emeralds are Colombian or Zambian. They might, but my sales rep didn’t let me know. Also their emeralds aren’t very included, but maybe you can ask. Anyway, here are the photos. IMG_4698.jpeg IMG_4699.jpeg
IMG_4700.jpeg

I’m not sure whether I want to take the plunge and buy another colored gem from another overseas vendor (Tianyu’s sapphires also look purple just like Starsgem based on their stock photos), but I thought I would share in case anyone was interested in getting an emerald from Tianyu.

Attachments

• IMG_4700.jpeg
    IMG_4700.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 2

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After being majorly disappointed with an emerald I received from Starsgem, I asked Sue if I could see Tianyu’s emeralds. She sent a video, although unlike Starsgem Tianyu doesn’t specify whether their emeralds are Colombian or Zambian. They might, but my sales rep didn’t let me know. Also their emeralds aren’t very included, but maybe you can ask. Anyway, here are the photos.
IMG_4700.jpeg

That looks like Columbian color. Zambian is the dark green.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
That looks like Columbian color. Zambian is the dark green.

It very well could be. I just don’t want to name the type as Tianyu didn’t specify. :oops:

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
After being majorly disappointed with an emerald I received from Starsgem, I asked Sue if I could see Tianyu’s emeralds. She sent a video, although unlike Starsgem Tianyu doesn’t specify whether their emeralds are Colombian or Zambian. They might, but my sales rep didn’t let me know. Also their emeralds aren’t very included, but maybe you can ask. Anyway, here are the photos. IMG_4698.jpeg IMG_4699.jpeg
IMG_4700.jpeg

I’m not sure whether I want to take the plunge and buy another colored gem from another overseas vendor (Tianyu’s sapphires also look purple just like Starsgem based on their stock photos), but I thought I would share in case anyone was interested in getting an emerald from Tianyu.

I'd want to see these assessed by a reputable lab. They look like lab emerald to me

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I'd want to see these assessed by a reputable lab. They look like lab emerald to me

They are definitely lab emeralds; I don't think Tianyu sources natural stones unless I'm wrong. I know that those who have purchased lab emeralds from Starsgem ask to have more inclusions to look more natural, but I'm not sure whether Tianyu offers this or not. It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
They are definitely lab emeralds; I don't think Tianyu sources natural stones unless I'm wrong. I know that those who have purchased lab emeralds from Starsgem ask to have more inclusions to look more natural, but I'm not sure whether Tianyu offers this or not. It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Oh, sorry! My misunderstanding :) If they are lab emeralds they wouldn't have a country of origin

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, sorry! My misunderstanding :) If they are lab emeralds they wouldn't have a country of origin

No worries! But I think that's why Tianyu doesn't specify whether their emeralds are Colombian/Zambian because the names technically aren't true.

I know Starsgem uses the Colombian/Zambian labels to specify the different colors, although their stones aren't natural! Although I kinda wish Starsgem didn't use these labels; my Starsgem "Colombian" emerald is a very dark, ugly murky color (which I posted on the Starsgem thread) and looks nothing like a Colombian or Zambian emerald in the slightest! :(2:lol-2:

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if this adds much to the conversation, but when I was asking for a lab emerald from Starsgem I just differentiated the colours by saying “light green” or “dark green” to remove any confusion. I don’t think countries were ever referred to. When they showed me sample stones I also just circled the colour I preferred. Doing this with any vendor may help to avoid potential disappointment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results