shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher ring - cold feet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 10:55:41 PM
Author: strmrdr
If it was me Id put it in a 1922 cartier replica setting in plat :}

That is my all time fav setting for large asschers.

http://www.nelsonrarities.com/dir01-12/asschercut.html

me too storm
30.gif
30.gif

asshercut.jpg

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, gorgeous stone isaku!!!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

Date: 5/25/2006 10:55:41 PM
If it was me Id put it in a 1922 cartier replica setting in plat :}
That is my all time fav setting for large asschers.
Like this one, Storm? I think it''s 5.5 c!!!!!
30.gif

I thought it might look too much like an engagement ring????

Did I mention that I had many asscher pictures.....
9.gif

5.55c cartier asscher.jpg

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
JadeLeaves....Daniel K setting????? I''m all ears
36.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
The new pics are stunning!

Haha guess there''s no chance of me getting my hands on this puppy!

Re: Daniel K - Ohh I had hoped either gypsy or you might know, cos the original baguette halo with yellow asscher was a Daniel K setting.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
sorry to hijack, but this is one of my favorites too:

LM AsscherSetting.jpg

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
This is hilarious!!! All the asscher lovers have the 1922 cartier repro in their files.

I have to admit that it''s one of my all time favs; the 5.55c looks perfect in that setting, while the 2.26 might look smallish.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 11:19:04 PM
Author: isaku5
This is hilarious!!! All the asscher lovers have the 1922 cartier repro in their files.

I have to admit that it''s one of my all time favs; the 5.55c looks perfect in that setting, while the 2.26 might look smallish.
I have seen in person a 1.2ct in a 1922 repro and it looked just kicken.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
That''s a beauty, JadeLeaves, and aside from the fact that the diamond is huge, the setting would be relatively inexpensive.

Are you saying that the setting that Gypsy had on her hard drive and that I''ve been getting prices on is a Daniel K???????OMG!!!

Maybe he charges less than the other quotes I''ve been getting, but maybe too you have to buy the diamond from him??

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 11:26:42 PM
That''s a beauty, JadeLeaves, and aside from the fact that the diamond is huge, the setting would be relatively inexpensive.

Are you saying that the setting that Gypsy had on her hard drive and that I''ve been getting prices on is a Daniel K???????OMG!!!

Maybe he charges less than the other quotes I''ve been getting, but maybe too you have to buy the diamond from him??
Daniel K will not sell his settings seperately. You have to buy the diamond from him to get the setting.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 11:26:05 PM

Thanks, Storm. It would certainly showcase the beauty of the asscher!!!

Can any jeweller copy the design, or is it protected in some way?

You''re okay with the fluor. in the 2.26???

Sorry....so many questions
20.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
That''s what I was afraid of, kaleigh.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
" Haha guess there''s no chance of getting my hands on this puppy"

I didn''t think you were still interested and had decided to wait and go with a G VS2???
33.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 11:33:04 PM
Date: 5/25/2006 11:26:05 PM

Thanks, Storm. It would certainly showcase the beauty of the asscher!!!

Can any jeweller copy the design, or is it protected in some way?

You''re okay with the fluor. in the 2.26???

Sorry....so many questions
20.gif

its old enough anyone can create it.
i love the fluor in the 2.26 yummy!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh those pictures are beautiful isaku, i just love it. i also prefer the 2.26 from those pictures....yum yum yum!! and the fluor is just divine!

jade...yes he seems amenable to the upgrade when first child kind of thing (he's been joking around with my parents about it!) but maybe i should take your cue and get a whole different stone instead
31.gif
...someday if we have kids. hahahaa.

my problem is there are just so many stones i think are fab. i'd love a princess 3 stone right hand ring, a beautiful asscher right hand ring...oh what else? there's a list.
9.gif
it's just easier to make this one stone bigger than decide on a new one.
12.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quest did my setting and it was inspired by Daniel K. I altered the design by 20% to make it legal. That''s the basic rule. It was a lot of fun cause I got to make the design my own, ya know with my own twist!!
3.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
That's a beauty, JadeLeaves, and aside from the fact that the diamond is huge, the setting would be relatively inexpensive.
Are you saying that the setting that Gypsy had on her hard drive and that I've been getting prices on is a Daniel K???????OMG!!!
Maybe he charges less than the other quotes I've been getting, but maybe too you have to buy the diamond from him??
Yeah Daniel K doesn't sell his settings separately, but he has got gorgeous asschers, so one wouldn't do too bad getting the entire ring from him, tho' I imagine it'll be awfully expensive.

The pic I posted is a Leon Mege ring.
I didn't think you were still interested and had decided to wait and go with a G VS2???
The stone that Tim is tempting me with is not in house, so I won't get to see so many pictures and details as I had for your stone
9.gif
. I was considering getting them to bring it in-house for analysis and am waiting for a reply from GOG with regards to how much I'll be out of pocket by if I decide not to go ahead. However, now that you've mentioned the quotes for the setting came in at 9k, I might have to reconsider because the entire ring will really mean the cost of a swimming pool plus outdoor furniture
23.gif
3.gif

The only reason why I'ld get the asscher now would be because I've seen a setting I like (the one you posted!) but if the setting is going to cost that much, I just can't justify it
12.gif

ETA: the pool and furniture reference is about the new house we are building!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
JadeLeaves...I have to applaud you for taking on so many projects -baby-to-be, new house with pool no less!!!! We built a pool back in 1976(!!!!) instead of buying a cottage and to help make sure we had lots to do at home so that when they became teenagers, the parties would be at our house. We enjoyed many years with the pool so close. Now it''s a lot of work to maintain, but our 10 year old granddaughter absolutely loves it and she would be very disappointed if we filled it in. Her parents have a huge house on a 2/3 acre lot and we have hinted many times that they should build a pool.....but so far no action. Maybe, our hints will have to be more obvious!

Sorry for the ramble, but now I''ll get to the point: Make absolutely certain that you have alarms all over the place in case the baby inadvertantly gets out of your sight and seeks adventure in the pool. There are lots of security features out there now.

OK- The lecture is over.

I had two phone calls this am regarding the fact that Mark at ERD and Pete at Quest don''t want to give a price on the setting unless they have the diamond in their hands- so much for 4 quotes!!! Pete commented that he''d have to match the FL in the 2.26 to those in the setting???? C''mon this is getting ridiculous!!

Am I missing something here? Should I abandon ship while I can???

Help!!!!!
39.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 11:12:03 AM

I had two phone calls this am regarding the fact that Mark at ERD and Pete at Quest don't want to give a price on the setting unless they have the diamond in their hands- so much for 4 quotes!!! Pete commented that he'd have to match the FL in the 2.26 to those in the setting???? C'mon this is getting ridiculous!!

Am I missing something here? Should I abandon ship while I can???

Help!!!!!
39.gif

No your not missing anything.
Sheesh this shouldnt be this hard.
The FL isnt enough that it would have to be matched in the side stones.
In some ways where the side stones have to match up size wise with the center I can see wanting the diamond in hand to quote the setting.

If it were me Id get the 2.26 and either have a 1922 setting done or have a plat ring with no side stones made for it and let it stand proud on its own.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Storm for responding so quickly to my insania.

I think both jewelers have an agenda...Each wants to sell me an asscher plus the setting.

I love the Cartier repro setting, but my finger is a size 8 and I''m afraid the 2.26 would look lost.

I saw 2 RA''s in a plain plat setting; one was a 2.15, the other a 2.35. They looked so small and lost. That was the reason I started hunting down halo ideas. I thought it might be a cheaper alternative to a 4c diamond. Hence, the dilemma.

Now if I had a 4 or 5 c asscher budget, I''d use that Cartier setting in a flash!!!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 11:48:57 AM
Thanks, Storm for responding so quickly to my insania.

I think both jewelers have an agenda...Each wants to sell me an asscher plus the setting.

I love the Cartier repro setting, but my finger is a size 8 and I''m afraid the 2.26 would look lost.

I saw 2 RA''s in a plain plat setting; one was a 2.15, the other a 2.35. They looked so small and lost. That was the reason I started hunting down halo ideas. I thought it might be a cheaper alternative to a 4c diamond. Hence, the dilemma.

Now if I had a 4 or 5 c asscher budget, I''d use that Cartier setting in a flash!!!!!

How about some color?
saphhire trillant sides with the asscher in a bezel?!?!?!?
yummy :}
and GOG could handle that for you no problem.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again, Storm.

Definitely another alternative.

I just finished e-mailing Marie at GOG to ask whether she could pare down the carat weight of the diamonds - 3.5c while luscious, might be a bit of overkill- and that would reduce the price to a doable amount.
36.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 12:09:15 PM
Thanks again, Storm.

Definitely another alternative.

I just finished e-mailing Marie at GOG to ask whether she could pare down the carat weight of the diamonds - 3.5c while luscious, might be a bit of overkill- and that would reduce the price to a doable amount.
36.gif

They are going to be fairly long and if you go too narrow on them you lose light return so going down in weight a whole lot might not be practical.
Let us know what she says.
She is kewl to work with :}
I worked with her on getting quotes for my sister to get her hubby a new wedding band.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Storm.

I hope she gets in touch with me today so that I can think about it over the weekend. The quote that I have from Green Lake is for 1.1ctw diamonds- doesn''t seem like enough!

I''ll keep in touch because I value the PSers opinions (especially yours).

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
isaku5, have you looked at any designer settings like michael beaudry? the quotes you are getting for custom are a lot to spend on something you don''t even know 100% for sure how it will turn out. I just think if you''re going to spend that much on a repro, why not try to find something that you can see ahead of time or at least know exactly how the finished product will look??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay it sounds ridiculous for Quest to want to match the fluor in side stones to the center stone. fluor only shows up in certain lightings, it''s not like the diamonds always fluoresce. sorry that this is becoming such a PITA for you! i love the cartier 1922 replica idea too, that is one of my most fave rings ever!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
An update: I just talked to Marie at GOG and she''s going to find out the cost of doing a total carat weght of 2 - 2.5 for the setting by cutting down proportionately the size of the diamonds. Whether this will make much difference in the price has yet to be determined. She''s going to get back to me on Tuesday.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 3:21:05 PM
Author: Mara
okay it sounds ridiculous for Quest to want to match the fluor in side stones to the center stone. fluor only shows up in certain lightings, it''s not like the diamonds always fluoresce. sorry that this is becoming such a PITA for you! i love the cartier 1922 replica idea too, that is one of my most fave rings ever!

I agree mara..matching fluor. in the sides seems over the top too me.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 3:21:05 PM
Author: Mara
Hi Mara...I wondered if I was being BS''d about fluorescent side stones. Thanks for the info.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Mrssalvo... Thanks for the Michael Beaudry design idea. I think it''s Pearlman''s that sells those, isn''t it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results