shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher ring - cold feet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
The Ps''ers have been so helpful in choosing the asscher diamond of my dreams - the 2.26 from GOG, and the setting to live for, but now my feet are chilly. I need re-assurance or a plan to follow with the situation.

My biggest worry concerns not being able to physically *see* the 2.26 asscher that GOG is bringing in for me and that strmrdr and decodelighted thought looked great on paper (in spite of its med. fluoresence).

I live in Canada (near Toronto, Ontario) and can not easily travel to NY due to severe arthritis to *see* the diamond. The trouble with having it sent to me for inspection involves import taxes which are nearly impossible to recover if I returned the stone.

Common sense would tell me that I should look for an asscher here, but, alas, the only jeweller here who carries asschers, has only RA''s at ridiculous prices!

My original plan was to use Jonathan''s eyes to inspect the 2.26 asscher (with medium fluoresence) and if he gave his OK to forward the diamond to Pete at Quest to custom make the setting that Gypsy found and that Pete loved and could /would make although he was concerned about the fluoresence in the diamond.

I would not be able to *see* the diamond/setting until its completion.

This would be a very expensive "leap of faith" on my part and now that everything is coming together, I''m getting nervous (to say the least).

Has anyone any advice???? Please!!!
33.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I trust Jon''s eye''s and Storm a lot. My asscher has strong blue flouro. I did get to see it before I sent it to Quest. So I can see why you are having cold feet. I don''t get why you can''t see it first it''s a Canadian thing with extra taxes and such?? I would want to see it before it gets set too.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a leap of trust.
I dunno really what to say.
I think mine and Jon''s track record on asschers are both high.
I know its an awesome asscher.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 2:23:09 PM
Author: kaleigh
I trust Jon''s eye''s and Storm a lot. My asscher has strong blue flouro. I did get to see it before I sent it to Quest. So I can see why you are having cold feet. I don''t get why you can''t see it first it''s a Canadian thing with extra taxes and such?? I would want to see it before it gets set too.
Thanks, kaleigh. Yep, it''s a "Canadian" thing"
4.gif
. Unfortunately, everything here is taxed to the hilt.
14.gif

I too trust Jonathan and Storm''s opinions, but they''re not footing the bill - it''s me and only me and it''s lots of $$ as you can imagine being an F VVS2 stone.

I don''t think I''m over reacting regarding seeing the diamond with my own eyes, but I''d appreciate any opinions offered.

I have done a lot of research on asschers and this one looks like a winner, but my evil twin is saying, "How can you spend so much on a diamond you have''t seen?)

I know guys who order custom cars, sight unseen, but it''s not quite the same with diamonds.

Maybe, just maybe, I have "control issues"?
35.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Would it be possible for GOG to send the stone to a local jeweler or appraiser near you? Would that be a way to get to see it without having to pay taxes, etc on it?

Although I understand your qualms...I really can''t imagine the stone being anything other than fabulous if Jon and Storm both approve....are there pictures of it posted somewhere? I''d love to see it.

I say: Keep the faith, and go for it!!!!!!!!!!!

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 2:48:13 PM
Author: widget
Would it be possible for GOG to send the stone to a local jeweler or appraiser near you? Would that be a way to get to see it without having to pay taxes, etc on it?

Although I understand your qualms...I really can''t imagine the stone being anything other than fabulous if Jon and Storm both approve....are there pictures of it posted somewhere? I''d love to see it.

widget
That''s a great idea. Have Jonathon send it to an independant appraiser near you. That would solve everything. Unless that''s not possible??

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 2:30:19 PM
Author: strmrdr
It is a leap of trust.
Thanks, Storm. Your opinions and those of Jon mean a lot to me. That''s why I chose the 2.26 in the first place.

You''re absolutely on target when you call it a "leap of trust".

How do you know, Storm, that it''s awesome? Have you seen it?????

Further doubt was added to the equation when Pete at Quest said that with med fl in a halo setting, the diamond will look like an H or an I when set??? Jonathan totally disagreed, for the record.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
As you know my stone has fluoro, and is an E. It''s set in a halo setting done by Pete and he never said anything like that to me. It still looks like an E. I am color sensitive too.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hi Isaku5:

Would it be possible to have someone drive you to NY? I understand your feeling of cold feet as it is a lot of $$$ to spend, sight unseen.

If there is no other possibility of getting there to see the unset stone, can you have lots of pix taken from all different angles and lighting conditions and emailed to you? That could go a long way to easing your mind about the stone.

I purchased a stone sight unseen as well from DBOF and I was THRILLED with it, the moment I received it. I think you can trust that you will also love your stone but I understand, it is a scary feeling.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 2:48:13 PM
Author: widget

widget
Hi widget... Thanks for your interest.

I have a great appraiser in Toronto, but again that involves bringing the stone across the border and the taxes involved.

I haven''t been able to locate a suitable appraiser in Niagara Falls, NY (only about 2 hours from us). Does anyone know of one I could recommend to Jonathan? What about Buffalo???

I have saved pictures which I will try to post for you, widget.

Oops, my first attempt was unsuccessful. I''ll try again.
14.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 3:04:58 PM
As you know my stone has fluoro, and is an E. It''s set in a halo setting done by Pete and he never said anything like that to me. It still looks like an E. I am color sensitive too.
Hi kaleigh... I remembered that your diamond has strong Fluor. and that Pete set it. Why is he commenting about my med. flu.???
29.gif
I''ll have to ask him!!!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
I know this might be a stupid question, and obviously I don''t know the ins and outs of the diamond biz....but surely when diamonds go back and forth between dealers, they aren''t hit with import taxes, are they?

I guess I''m imagining GOG sending the stone to another jeweler....who probably would get some sort of compensation for his services, to hold the stone for the potential buyer''s inspection..

Sorry if this is really stupid....
19.gif

widget

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''ll try again to post pictures of the 2.26.

2.26 F VVS2.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 3:16:33 PM
Author: isaku5

Date: 5/21/2006 3:04:58 PM
Hi kaleigh... I remembered that your diamond has strong Fluor. and that Pete set it. Why is he commenting about my med. flu.???
29.gif
I''ll have to ask him!!!!
Yes please do and let me know what he says!!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Hi again, widget..Not a stupid question at all! Apparently, the same rules apply between countries and individuals Go figure.... The gov''t will get its fair share, no matter what.
15.gif

Attempt to attach pic #2

2.26 cut.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 2:56:09 PM

being an F VVS2 stone
Further doubt was added to the equation when Pete at Quest said that with med fl in a halo setting, the diamond will look like an H or an I when set??? Jonathan totally disagreed, for the record.
33.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally understand being nervous but would trust storm and Jonathan in a heartbeat. That said, you''re getting ready to spend a lot of $$, I would think paying some in taxes might be worth it for the piece of mind to see it first? Only you know what you''d be comfortable with.

I love blue. fluor in stones and hope to have it in my next one, whether it''s a cushion or a round. If anything I thought it would help the color, not lower it. Don''t know why pete said that other than maybe the baguette halo would show a contrast next to the stone??

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 3:05:05 PM
Author: hlmr
Hi Isaku5:

Would it be possible to have someone drive you to NY? I understand your feeling of cold feet as it is a lot of $$$ to spend, sight unseen.

If there is no other possibility of getting there to see the unset stone, can you have lots of pix taken from all different angles and lighting conditions and emailed to you? That could go a long way to easing your mind about the stone.

I purchased a stone sight unseen as well from DBOF and I was THRILLED with it, the moment I received it. I think you can trust that you will also love your stone but I understand, it is a scary feeling.
Thanks for your vote of confidence, hlmr. Do you by any chance live in Canada?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 3:31:41 PM

Hi Isaku5:

Yes......and I suspect very close to you!
2.gif
35.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2006 2:16:24 PM
Author:isaku5
The Ps''ers have been so helpful in choosing the asscher diamond of my dreams - the 2.26 from GOG, and the setting to live for, but now my feet are chilly. I need re-assurance or a plan to follow with the situation.

My biggest worry concerns not being able to physically *see* the 2.26 asscher that GOG is bringing in for me and that strmrdr and decodelighted thought looked great on paper (in spite of its med. fluoresence).

I live in Canada (near Toronto, Ontario) and can not easily travel to NY due to severe arthritis to *see* the diamond. The trouble with having it sent to me for inspection involves import taxes which are nearly impossible to recover if I returned the stone.

Common sense would tell me that I should look for an asscher here, but, alas, the only jeweller here who carries asschers, has only RA''s at ridiculous prices!

My original plan was to use Jonathan''s eyes to inspect the 2.26 asscher (with medium fluoresence) and if he gave his OK to forward the diamond to Pete at Quest to custom make the setting that Gypsy found and that Pete loved and could /would make although he was concerned about the fluoresence in the diamond.

I would not be able to *see* the diamond/setting until its completion.

This would be a very expensive ''leap of faith'' on my part and now that everything is coming together, I''m getting nervous (to say the least).

Has anyone any advice???? Please!!!
33.gif
Firstly, i say some of the pictures posted on PS of Asschers, and sofar most of them look like Asschers of amazing cuts. so i would trust Jon and Storm''s eyes as well (allthough i dont know them and never did any business with any of them or any other PS vendors.) just a proffesional HUNCH, I guess, second in my opinion consumers get pretty profesionall information here that shows good honesty!!! (very important!!!)

I am a strong believer that a consumer should visualize the diamond with their own eyes, especialy when were takinf about fancy shaped diamonds.

Now, it doesnt make sense that a country like Canada would have only one jeweler that sells R.A. only..., if that is the case, i am moving to Canada tomorow!!!

If you search the right way, I guarantee you, you can find plenty of vendors that sell amazing Asscher Cuts..., even in Canada.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 2:30:19 PM

Author: strmrdr

It is a leap of trust.

Thanks, Storm. Your opinions and those of Jon mean a lot to me. That''s why I chose the 2.26 in the first place.

You''re absolutely on target when you call it a ''leap of trust''.

How do you know, Storm, that it''s awesome? Have you seen it?????

nope havent seen it.
All the tests and all the data combined with Jon''s eyes makes me 100% positive its a kicken asscher.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 3:30:56 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I totally understand being nervous but would trust storm and Jonathan in a heartbeat. That said, you''re getting ready to spend a lot of $$, I would think paying some in taxes might be worth it for the piece of mind to see it first? Only you know what you''d be comfortable with.

I love blue. fluor in stones and hope to have it in my next one, whether it''s a cushion or a round. If anything I thought it would help the color, not lower it. Don''t know why pete said that other than maybe the baguette halo would show a contrast next to the stone??
Thanks mrssalvo...I wouldn''t mind paying something in taxes for peace of mind, as you say; but 25% of the Canadian $ value of the item is a bit steep, in my opinion

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2006 3:30:48 PM
Author: Pricescope

being an F VVS2 stone
33.gif
What??????
32.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

Further doubt was added to the equation when Pete at Quest said that with med fl in a halo setting, the diamond will look like an H or an I when set???
i am soo dissapointed by this statement.
38.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 3:36:38 PM

Date: 5/21/2006 3:30:56 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I totally understand being nervous but would trust storm and Jonathan in a heartbeat. That said, you're getting ready to spend a lot of $$, I would think paying some in taxes might be worth it for the piece of mind to see it first? Only you know what you'd be comfortable with.

I love blue. fluor in stones and hope to have it in my next one, whether it's a cushion or a round. If anything I thought it would help the color, not lower it. Don't know why pete said that other than maybe the baguette halo would show a contrast next to the stone??
Thanks mrssalvo...I wouldn't mind paying something in taxes for peace of mind, as you say; but 25% of the Canadian $ value of the item is a bit steep, in my opinion
You wouldn't be paying 25% anymore. The luxury tax on jewellery is gone and the gst is being reduced by 1% July 1st I believe, so you are looking at 14% tax.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 3:33:31 PM

Date: 5/21/2006 3:31:41 PM

Hi Isaku5:

Yes......and I suspect very close to you!
2.gif
35.gif
You certainly got my attention, hlmr....Were you able to" circumvent" the tax situation???
36.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
its 2 big for the helium scanner but the facets are big enough the sarin did a good job.
Yummy ASET

226aset.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yummy virtual IS

226virtualIS.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: Strmrdr
All the tests and all the data combined with Jon's eyes makes me 100% positive its a kicken asscher.
Tests and data???? Look at that picture!!!!
23.gif
30.gif
It sure looks FABULOUS to me!!!!!!

(I have to laugh a bit. I inherited an 'asscher' which is drop dead gorgeous...but I wonder how it would hold up under such scrutiny? It's out of square, has a big elongated culet, and who knows what else. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be rated "Stormworthy"...)

isaku...it that thing isn't an absolute KILLER, I'LL eat my hat! LOL....

widget

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
virtual photo same light condition as the real photo,, no tilt.
Out of the vitual lighting the ASET, IS and this one are my favorites.

virtual226photo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results