shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher ring - cold feet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol isaku, i am always daydreaming...i love kaleigh's RHR asscher but not sure if i would wear a RHR...i was thinking maybe i could get a small asscher just for drooling rights...hehee. not like i have a budget at all right now...i'm on diamond hiatus after the upgrade. but it doesn't hurt to dream!
31.gif
i can't wait to see your new asscher, it looks just amazing.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 7:27:24 PM
Author: Mara
lol isaku, i am always daydreaming...i love kaleigh''s RHR asscher but not sure if i would wear a RHR...i was thinking maybe i could get a small asscher just for drooling rights...hehee. not like i have a budget at all right now...i''m on diamond hiatus after the upgrade. but it doesn''t hurt to dream!
31.gif
i can''t wait to see your new asscher, it looks just amazing.
Mara... This asscher will be for a RHR as well. I''m absolutely certain I would wear a RHR because over the years, I''ve worn a few and I love them all!

Is it the Debeer''s commercial that says your left hand rings represent commitment, while your RHR expresses your personality (or something to that effect)? I''ll use that as my excuse if I need one.
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Coming late on this... but wanted to comment.

I can honestly say I TOTALLY understand. I'm quaking in my boots with my reset... and it's a SETTING. Just because I can't see it and feel it in person (although THANK YOU to ANN AND IRINA for the PHOTOSHOP skills) before I buy I'm seriously stressed. And I am a control freak. I admit it. That's why I've tapped a dozen jewelers for quotes and opinions for the setting.

So here's what I think... I think that I would feel very comfortable with buying that asscher with John and Strm's blessings already given. That's as good as it gets. I would trust them 100% to pick an asscher for me. I wouldn't trust anyone else to pick a jeweler to execute my design, that has to be done by me because it's a very subjective thing... as creating jewelery is an art... and I'm looking for an artist who isn't an 'artiste.'
2.gif
But picking a diamond... that's largely science (short of seeing the sucker, I mean). And the scientists have already weighed in.

Go for it!!

Oh and um... Greenlake Jewelers??? They are THE BOMB baby-- so if you are feeling uncomforable with Quest and aren't thinking of hitting Mark at ERD up for a qoute... I'd give them a call. I'm considering qoute number zillion (to be given this week)... they've been amazing too!!! In the end... I'm going to have to trust my gut. (And I've given myself a deadline to pick a jeweler by June 1st.)...

I think you need to trust yours and GO FOR IT!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy...Great to hear your opinion too.
36.gif

I think I''m convinced (that doesn''t sound like total commitment,does it?) that the 2.26 is the one for me after all the help I received on PS today.
30.gif

As another admitted control freak, I will probably do as you did - a few quotes. Reading your post on evaluating setters was a big help, though.

I am thinking Quest and ERD for sure, but Greenlake jewelers is a new one to me. How did you hear about them and where are they located?
33.gif
Have you seen any of their halo work??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 9:10:23 PM
Author: isaku5
Gypsy...Great to hear your opinion too.
36.gif

I think I'm convinced (that doesn't sound like total commitment,does it?) that the 2.26 is the one for me after all the help I received on PS today.
30.gif

As another admitted control freak, I will probably do as you did - a few quotes. Reading your post on evaluating setters was a big help, though.

I am thinking Quest and ERD for sure, but Greenlake jewelers is a new one to me. How did you hear about them and where are they located?
33.gif
Have you seen any of their halo work??

No I haven't seen their halo work... but I did see this (scroll down) and it was unique and custom enough that I thought to give them a call. I've been very happy with the service so far. VERY comprehensive, quick and THOROUGH!

If you are going to call around for qoutes...if I were you... I would include (especially to Mark at ERD) ALL of the information on your diamond that srtm posted and ask them to give their opinions on halo setting that sucker. It worried me that Pete didn't agree with John... and by that I mean... I trust John over Pete... and it worried me that Pete would say that-- made me doubt his assessment skills.

Keep in mind that I haven't seen Mark's halo work either...just his settings as well. But if I choose him... I'll be walking my diamond over to his store myself. He's in NY... so for me, it's a short commute to go see his work in person. This is a definite consideration for me. Quest is just a 3 hour drive. Greenlake is in Seattle.
6.gif

Like I said... it's an individual assesment... what I feel comfortable and what you will feel comfortable with will no doubt be different. But I thought I'd share my experiences with you.
2.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy...Thanks for the ERD and Greenlake info.

I''ve left my name and a short note at Greenlake tonight. Hopefully, I''ll hear back soon.

I''m going to try to contact Mark at ERD and Pete at Quest tomorrow too.

Good luck starting your new job tomorrow!!!!!
35.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I know I''m weighing in late, here, but I just wanted to say that I bought my asscher before seeing it, had it set, and it was WONDERFUL. If you have trustworthy eyes looking at it, good pics, solid numbers....go for it! It doesn''t get better than that and it will be a delicious surprise.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
THANKS! And on that note... I''m off to bed! Night!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
OMG.

That is an awesome stone! Isaku - if you decide not to buy it, I''m sure it''ll be snapped up before long!

I am loving the baguette halo setting that you''ve picked out!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I never post, but thought I''d share what I know about Green Lake Jewelry Works. I''ve not been in the store (did drive past today on my way elsewhere), but my hair stylist had her new wedding band designed by them. It''s very pretty, a wide white gold band with scrolling flowers and small diamonds taken from her original band. She thought they were great to work with.

Hers is quite different from MAChick''s ring or what you''re thinking of, but does speak to their talents with different styles. It''s funny that MAChick who''s in Massachusetts had her ring designed in Seattle, while I''m in Seattle and had my ring designed by Mark Morell who''s in Massachusetts. I guess some of us just need to be bi-coastal!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 11:04:09 PM
Author: wallermama
I know I''m weighing in late, here, but I just wanted to say that I bought my asscher before seeing it, had it set, and it was WONDERFUL. If you have trustworthy eyes looking at it, good pics, solid numbers....go for it! It doesn''t get better than that and it will be a delicious surprise.
Thanks, wallermama...Thanks for letting me know that you had a great experience buying sight unseen.
9.gif

I trust PSers'' eyes because they provide very honest opinions. In the past, they''ve nixed two other "candidates" I posted. This asscher seems to have been given two thumbs up for the go ahead, so I''m feeling pretty secure about the diamond decision. The setting designer is still up in the air. I want to be able to show off that beauty in all its glory.
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 11:16:32 PM
Author: JadeLeaves
OMG.

That is an awesome stone! Isaku - if you decide not to buy it, I''m sure it''ll be snapped up before long!

I am loving the baguette halo setting that you''ve picked out!
Thanks, JadeLeaves. I can''t take any credit, really, for finding it. Storm''s got the "asscher eyes" and he seems very picky. I like that!!
36.gif

If you don''t mind me asking, which halo setting has your vote: yellow diamond setting minus the yd, split shanks setting or narrower single shank with baguettes? I''m leaning toward "yellow diamond" right now, but who knows.....?
35.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 3:16:04 AM
Author: rainwood
I never post, but thought I''d share what I know about Green Lake Jewelry Works. I''ve not been in the store (did drive past today on my way elsewhere), but my hair stylist had her new wedding band designed by them. It''s very pretty, a wide white gold band with scrolling flowers and small diamonds taken from her original band. She thought they were great to work with.

Hers is quite different from MAChick''s ring or what you''re thinking of, but does speak to their talents with different styles. It''s funny that MAChick who''s in Massachusetts had her ring designed in Seattle, while I''m in Seattle and had my ring designed by Mark Morell who''s in Massachusetts. I guess some of us just need to be bi-coastal!
I''m happy you chose to post, rainwood.
35.gif

As you have seen, I hadn''t heard of Green Lake Jewelry Works before Gypsy mentioned them. I have since left a note on their website and I''ll be eager to hear whether they respond. I''m glad you listen to your hairstylist too; they often can pass along great referrals.

Now that you''re posting, which halo style do you prefer for a RHR?
3.gif

As for the bi-coastal preference, how''s this for an international attempt?
9.gif

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Isaku -

I''m a big fan of clean and simple lines so if it were me, I''d probably skip the halo, but if I were to choose a halo, I''d go with the baguettes. The look of those stones would mimic and complement the geometrics of the asscher. There was a thread ages and ages ago with pictures where someone set an asscher with a baguette halo that made the ring just seem like a bigger asscher. I liked that look a lot. But again, that''s me and the ring is for you. I''m sure whatever you pick will be great.

I''ll also add that my RB has medium blue fluroescence and I would never buy another diamond without it. I love the light blue glow in the sun. I also bought my diamond blind, never saw it until it was sitting in my finished, custom ring. Scary at the time, but I had done my research, trusted the Pricescope vendor I used and ended up with a great looking stone. Yours will be too.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I should know better than to ask an opinion about setting possibilites without supplying pictures.

There are really only two contenders right now and I''ll try posting pictures.

#1 courtesy of a photo on Gypsy''s hard drive. Picture the 2.26 white asscher in the centre.

Gypsy halo.jpg

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
#2... courtesy of Irina''s Photoshop talents. No w-band needed.

Any other ideas/modifications are welcome.

double baguette Irina.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Irina!!! Boy are you getting good at this!! Now I have to go back and have another look.
9.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Irina.

That looks fantastic!!!
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 6:45:13 PM
Author: rainwood
Isaku -

I''m a big fan of clean and simple lines so if it were me, I''d probably skip the halo, but if I were to choose a halo, I''d go with the baguettes. The look of those stones would mimic and complement the geometrics of the asscher. There was a thread ages and ages ago with pictures where someone set an asscher with a baguette halo that made the ring just seem like a bigger asscher. I liked that look a lot. But again, that''s me and the ring is for you. I''m sure whatever you pick will be great.

I''ll also add that my RB has medium blue fluroescence and I would never buy another diamond without it. I love the light blue glow in the sun. I also bought my diamond blind, never saw it until it was sitting in my finished, custom ring. Scary at the time, but I had done my research, trusted the Pricescope vendor I used and ended up with a great looking stone. Yours will be too.
My e-ring and w-ring have clean simple lines, so I thought for a RHR (size 8) I''d like something "sustantial"; hence, the halo.

I also didn''t want a design that looks like an engagement ring.

I have the idea that a 2+c asscher solitaire might look lost on that finger??
33.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The more bold design that Irina just photoshopped is the one I would pick if I were you. Although I do love the other one, this one is perfect. It''s everything you are looking for IMHO. Also the other one may look more like an ering, but this one doesn''t?? Does that make sense???

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 7:21:44 PM
Author: kaleigh
The more bold design that Irina just photoshopped is the one I would pick if I were you. Although I do love the other one, this one is perfect. It''s everything you are looking for IMHO. Also the other one may look more like an ering, but this one doesn''t?? Does that make sense???
Thanks, kaleigh. The setting looks even more attractive with Irina''s magic.

By the way, I contacted Pete at Quest- no reply; Mark at ERD -no reply; Greenlake - no reply.

I had thought that at least one would contact me today
8.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quest is closed on Mondays. Call him tomorrow.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 7:28:53 PM
Quest is closed on Mondays. Call him tomorrow.
Thanks, kaleigh. I remembered you saying that in one of your earlier posts, but I thought maybe I''d get lucky (as you had said you did) and find him in the office today.

I''ll try again tomorrow. Thanks.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Storm definitely is the go-to guy here for help on selecting the most divine asschers!

For a RHR, my vote will be this:

AlmostGypsy.jpg

For an e-ring, this one:
double%20baguette%20Irina.jpg

My heart went pitter patter when I saw the pics of your stone. I am sort of always on the lookout for nice 2-3ct asschers (hubby wants to get one for me, but I am undecided about the timing because of the enormous amt of expenses we have this yr), and yours is one of the nicest ones I've seen recently. If you don't end up buying it, tell Jon to contact Jadeleaves (he shld have my email) before sending the stone back
2.gif

I really really like the baguette halo, and both gypsy and you have given me ideas about maybe getting a a 2ct stone and setting it in a halo like the ones in the pictures!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

i agree. I like the one Irina did for a RHR and think it would gorgous with your new asscher.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, JadeLeaves for helping me make a decision.

Your husband sounds like a very generous and loving man. Not many husbands, mine included, want to buy big, beautiful diamonds for their wives. Usually, the nudging comes from the lady.
11.gif

My philosophy about waiting for the things you love is....don''t. That thinking also applies to vacations. Don''t put off doing the things you want to do because you never know what''s around the corner.

Enough philosophy.....

If everything goes as planned, the asscher should arrive at Jon''s office tomorrow (original arrival time was last Thursday) and he''ll e-mail the results of the latest inspection to me. I will probably be a nervous wreck all day waiting.....
3.gif

If the unthinkable happens and I don''t make the purchase, I will certainly let him know you''re interested (that''ll be before the PS lynching mob does me in for all the questions and opinions I''ve asked for...in vain).
35.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 10:28:44 PM
Author: mrssalvo

i agree. I like the one Irina did for a RHR and think it would gorgous with your new asscher.
Thanks, mrssalvo. I appreciate your comments. It appears that Irina''s Photoshopping made quite an impression on everyone, me included.
36.gif

Now, all I need is a setter.....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 10:47:33 PM
Author: isaku5
Date: 5/22/2006 10:28:44 PM
all I need is a setter.....
An irish one with 4 legs to warm up the cold feet?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love these settings, i like the one with small side stones for a RHR too, the same one jade leaves loved...a solitaire maybe looks too e-ringy.

on a size 8 finger i think a halo would be a perfect way to really beef up the stone, not like a 2c+ stone needs beefing but for a RHR i think you can get away with a stronger look and feel than with an e-ring. more bold maybe.

yum!

oh and jade can i send greg to your husband for some diamond training? he wants to buy you an asscher... and here is mine probabl hoping i won't buy anymore diamonds.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results