shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher ring - cold feet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/23/2006 2:21:29 AM
Author: Mara

Erm.. mara, that's cos he made a promise ages ago to get me one if I give him a child
31.gif
. I'm 21wks pregnant now, and he's asking me if I really really want to wait before getting the asscher. I'm inclined to wait, cos I think it is so sweet that he remembered his promise (made in quite an offhand manner!!) and offered to get it for me now. A 3 ct asscher can probably pay for .. hmm.. flooring for the entire house we're building, and a swimming pool with a hot-tub or heaps of nappies and baby stuff
9.gif
, so I need to get my priorities right!

(somebody shoot me)

Nah honestly, if the right stone comes along, I might be tempted, now that I have seen a setting I like. I might even trade in my unset RB for this (as my 1.56ct rb was always meant to be a stop-gap before i get an asscher) so the cost won't be too much of a shock to the system
4.gif

I hear Greg might be amendable to the idea of upgrading your rock earlier when you have a baby too
41.gif

ETA: PLUS my fingers are swelling a little, so I kinda need a new ring. A bigger one. *HEHEHE*

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 10:38:01 PM
Author: isaku5
Thanks, JadeLeaves for helping me make a decision.

Your husband sounds like a very generous and loving man. Not many husbands, mine included, want to buy big, beautiful diamonds for their wives. Usually, the nudging comes from the lady.
11.gif

My philosophy about waiting for the things you love is....don't. That thinking also applies to vacations. Don't put off doing the things you want to do because you never know what's around the corner.

Enough philosophy.....

If everything goes as planned, the asscher should arrive at Jon's office tomorrow (original arrival time was last Thursday) and he'll e-mail the results of the latest inspection to me. I will probably be a nervous wreck all day waiting.....
3.gif

If the unthinkable happens and I don't make the purchase, I will certainly let him know you're interested (that'll be before the PS lynching mob does me in for all the questions and opinions I've asked for...in vain).
35.gif

Oooh I'm so glad u have made a decision! Don't worry, we love the questions over here, and those pictures of the asscher are amazing, as are the pics of setting ideas, so not all were in vain!

Just curious - there's a F VS2 2.29ct with low fluorescence listed on Jon's site - is there any reason why you didnt go for that? Or was it because the specs for this particular stone were better?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
JadeLeaves...The only other one that I seriously considered (again, courtesy of Storm et al )was the 2.04 F VS1, but the reason I chose the 2.26 was that it was a bit larger and Storm had commented that it was a better cut.

I think ( I may be mistaken on this), the 2.29 was slammed either on this forum or another one.

You''d have to check with Jon on this to be double sure.

Good luck
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 11:23:03 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 5/22/2006 10:47:33 PM

Date: 5/22/2006 10:28:44 PM
all I need is a setter.....
An irish one with 4 legs to warm up the cold feet?
Storm... You have the answer to all my problems. An Irish Setter is a beautiful dog and perfect for warming feet, but I think our cat Sammy would make his/her life a living h---.
29.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2006 2:51:22 AM
Author: JadeLeaves

Date: 5/23/2006 2:21:29 AM
Author: Mara

Erm.. mara, that''s cos he made a promise ages ago to get me one if I give him a child
31.gif
. I''m 21wks pregnant now, and he''s asking me if I really really want to wait before getting the asscher. I''m inclined to wait, cos I think it is so sweet that he remembered his promise (made in quite an offhand manner!!) and offered to get it for me now. A 3 ct asscher can probably pay for .. hmm.. flooring for the entire house we''re building, and a swimming pool with a hot-tub or heaps of nappies and baby stuff
9.gif
, so I need to get my priorities right!

(somebody shoot me)

Nah honestly, if the right stone comes along, I might be tempted, now that I have seen a setting I like. I might even trade in my unset RB for this (as my 1.56ct rb was always meant to be a stop-gap before i get an asscher) so the cost won''t be too much of a shock to the system
4.gif

I hear Greg might be amendable to the idea of upgrading your rock earlier when you have a baby too
41.gif

ETA: PLUS my fingers are swelling a little, so I kinda need a new ring. A bigger one. *HEHEHE*
JadeLeaves... I knew there had to be *an agenda* attached to that 2 or
3c. asscher!!!!
1.gif

But your coming baby is going to be as precious as any diamond. My babies are grown with families of their own now and another one is not an option!!!
9.gif
Besides, I like being a grandma with bling (2 granddaughters)

Congratulations!!!
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
JadeLeaves.. A correction: I did not put the 2.29 on PS for an opinion.

I did have a peek at it today on GOG''s website, and it looks pretty darn good to me.

My 2.26 is apparently at GOG (I phoned). Jon says it is awesome, and he''s going to send more pictures......But when????? Patience...Patience....

I have contacted Pete at Quest. He is still adamant that the Fl will be a problem in the step cut setting I have chosen even though I mentioned kaleigh''s diamond with strong Fl. Pete said that in the setting she chose, it is fine, but not with the step cuts in mine.???
33.gif
I dunno...

Mark from ERD contacted me today and I sent him a picture of the setting (thanks again, Gypsy and Irina). He had to attend a funeral today so may hear from him tomorrow.

Greenlake responded right away and gave them the info as well.

And last, but by no means least, Marie at GOG is going to see if she can work something out.

Things are progressing step by step ( bad pun intended)
11.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Isaku!

Thanks for your well wishes!

I''ve actually contacted Jon with regards to the 2.29 F VS2
3.gif
and I am sorely tempted. It''s a reasonable price, and it looks good to me. However, I like yours better
31.gif

I''ll be following your ring progress with great interest, cos I really like the setting style you''ve picked and am dying to see how it turns out!

Gd luck!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, JadeLeaves.

As I said in an earlier e-mail today, the 2.26 did arrive at GOG and after much nail-biting on my part, Jon finally sent 4 more pictures under different lighting conditions. The asscher looks fabulous!!!!
36.gif
I have asked him to take 2 more pictures: one in UV light (I guess Pete succeeded in spooking me about the FL
27.gif
) and one in daylight. Hopefully, those will arrive tomorrow.

Four setters have contacted me saying they would work out a quote so I''m looking forward to those as well. I''m hoping they''re not going to be too high and have given all four the same parameters so they should be close.

May I ask why you prefer the 2.26 to the 2.29?

Have you told DH and daddy-to-be that you''re looking for the asscher?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The 2.29 is a very nice asscher but its just a tiny step behind the 2.26.
Mainly because its a drop style vs the multi-step 2.26.
The 2.26 is the slighty brighter of the 2 because of it.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 11:03:40 PM
The 2.29 is a very nice asscher but its just a tiny step behind the 2.26.
Mainly because its a drop style vs the multi-step 2.26.
The 2.26 is the slighty brighter of the 2 because of it.
Thanks again, Storm. If I remember correctly you had diagrams of three types of asschers in one of your posts. Too bad I didn''t save that; my picture file is bulging with pics of asschers, but very little data.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
facetsasschers.jpg

multi-step is a variation of the narrow-step with wider steps and narrower contrast strips.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 10:37:00 PM
May I ask why you prefer the 2.26 to the 2.29?

Have you told DH and daddy-to-be that you''re looking for the asscher?

I can''t pinpoint why I like the look of the 2.26 better, but side by side, I definitely prefer the 2.26.
Yours:
2.26%20F%20VVS2.jpg

2.29 F VS2:

2-29FVS2-GOG.jpg

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Heh and yes I did mentioned that I saw a couple of nice stones online
9.gif

I don''t think I''ll be able to see the color difference so I think I''ll hold out for a G color VS2 stone though.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Storm. That''s exactly what I was looking for and you can bet I saved it this time!!!
36.gif

Thanks as well for supplying the multi-step variation info - a big help too.
35.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
JadeLeaves.... Seeing the two pictures illustrating the point that Storm made with his diagram brings everything into perspective.

I can also see your point about waiting for a G VS2 - less expensive and unless you have an F and a G side by side, it''s impossible to tell the difference.

I seem to have this psychological "thing" with clarity, colour and cut.
11.gif
My upgraded e-ring is a princess E VVS2 flanked by E VS trillions (beautiful sparkly babies) and my w-ring is 7 shared prong F VS princess cuts. I think they''re perfect. I should add that this was my first upgrade in 42 years of marriage.
36.gif

I went with the reasoning (rationalizing) that our kids were well educated and doing well, and now it''s Mom''s turn.
9.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh have u got any new pics of your asscher yet? Have u heard from any of the jewellers about the setting?

A few years of PS has conditioned me to go for lower color & clarity I''m afraid - more bang for the buck
9.gif

That said, I have a 2ct EC G VS2 and I am very happy with it. I''m hesitant about going lower in color for step cuts, so I think I will stay at G for the moment.

Tim is trying to tempt me with a 2.47ct G VS2 - we''ll see how it pans out
41.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Just an update:

I asked Jon for a picture of the diamond under short wave UV light because of the medium fluorescence dilemma and he sent it. All you fluoresence experts, please help me interpret the picture, please. My first impression was OMG!!!

Also so far I have 2 quotes for the setting and both are very high-waiting for estimates 3 and 4 before I consider another style.
14.gif

2.26 short wave UV.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow that is so cool. Okay so where are your estimates from?

Was I close with my guess of 7-8K? those are some monster trapz on the side of that design you love. That''s where the cost is coming from.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is just the kewlest pic!
wowswers :}
i like it i love it i want it :}

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 9:44:50 PM

ditto, ditto, ditto...man I LOVE fluor...

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 8:58:07 PM
Author: Gypsy
Wow that is so cool. Okay so where are your estimates from?

Was I close with my guess of 7-8K? those are some monster trapz on the side of that design you love. That''s where the cost is coming from.
Hi Gypsy...Great to hear from you. How''s the new job going?

What makes the UV picture so cool? Is it cool- good or bad?
9.gif
38.gif

The first estimate was from Marie at GOG at 9k+ for over 3c. of F VS diamonds. Comment: very time consuming, difficult setting. BTW the side traps were quoted at .50c each

Second quote was from Greenlake for a shade over 9k, but only included 1.1c of diamonds????
33.gif

Two more to go before I pull the plug on that more-than-I-can-afford after I pay for the diamond design...

But I''ve gotta add that we sure know how to pick ''em.
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 9:44:50 PM
I was hoping you''d give your opinion, Storm.

I''ve read so many articles about fluorescense in the last week that I''m totally confused. Everything from it''s a big flaw in a high colour, high clarity stone to once you see one, you''ll never go back.
14.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 10:30:33 PM
The first estimate was from Marie at GOG at 9k+ for over 3c. of F VS diamonds. Comment: very time consuming, difficult setting. BTW the side traps were quoted at .50c each

Second quote was from Greenlake for a shade over 9k, but only included 1.1c of diamonds????
33.gif

Two more to go before I pull the plug on that more-than-I-can-afford after I pay for the diamond design...

But I've gotta add that we sure know how to pick 'em.
36.gif

*gulps*

9k for the setting? Ok I think I need to go back to dreamland because whilst I might be able to justify getting the stone now, 9k for the setting will just about make it TOO frivolous for us at the moment
6.gif

Looks like hubby just got off the hook for awhile yet
12.gif

Re: Fluoroscence - the pic looks cool, but I have no experience in how they look in real life under sunlight. I've seen pics of high fluor stones looking milky in sunlight though, and I'll want to stay away from that look.

ETA: Gypsy and isaku - does any of you know how much the original daniel K setting cost, with a similar type stone?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
JadeLeaves...You''re right that seasoned PSers know enough to get more bang for the buck. What can I say besides I''m a psycho....

Pictures, you bet. I only know how to attach one at a time so here goes.

#1 under spotlight
36.gif

2.26 spot.jpg

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
#2 Under spotlight with flash
36.gif

2.26 spot w flash.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 10:48:31 PM
#2 Under spotlight with flash
36.gif
FIRE FIRE FIRE!!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
#3 under spotlight with tilt. This is my personal favourite.
36.gif
36.gif

2.26 spot w.tilt.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those pics are awesome isaku!!!
30.gif
30.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
#4 under office lighting..
9.gif

2.26 office tilt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results