shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher ring - cold feet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 3:41:59 PM
Author: isaku5

Date: 5/21/2006 3:33:31 PM
Author: hlmr

Date: 5/21/2006 3:31:41 PM

Date: 5/21/2006 3:05:05 PM
Author: hlmr
Hi Isaku5:

Would it be possible to have someone drive you to NY? I understand your feeling of cold feet as it is a lot of $$$ to spend, sight unseen.

If there is no other possibility of getting there to see the unset stone, can you have lots of pix taken from all different angles and lighting conditions and emailed to you? That could go a long way to easing your mind about the stone.

I purchased a stone sight unseen as well from DBOF and I was THRILLED with it, the moment I received it. I think you can trust that you will also love your stone but I understand, it is a scary feeling.
Thanks for your vote of confidence, hlmr. Do you by any chance live in Canada?
Yes......and I suspect very close to you!
2.gif
35.gif
You certainly got my attention, hlmr....Were you able to'' circumvent'' the tax situation???
36.gif
Isaku, there are only two certainty''s in life - death and taxes!
2.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your input, DiaGem.

The one company that carries RA''s in Toronto ( the hub of the gem industry in Canada) is an upscale national chain- Birks.

I have looked and phoned every company I could think of and they all seem to say one of two things: What''s an asscher look like? OR we could try to bring in some. What''s the name of that cut again?

If you have some info on jewellers in Toronto (or for that matter anywhere in Canada), I''d love to know about it.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2006 3:51:14 PM
Author: strmrdr
virtual photo same light condition as the real photo,, no tilt.
Out of the vitual lighting the ASET, IS and this one are my favorites.
Looks like a great Asscher. and specs.??

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
isaku, most ''asshers'' will be known as ''square emerald'' cuts and will be described as such on the grading report.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 3:46:25 PM
Author: widget
Author: Strmrdr

All the tests and all the data combined with Jon''s eyes makes me 100% positive its a kicken asscher.

Tests and data???? Look at that picture!!!!
23.gif
30.gif
It sure looks FABULOUS to me!!!!!!

(I have to laugh a bit. I inherited an ''asscher'' which is drop dead gorgeous...but I wonder how it would hold up under such scrutiny? It''s out of square, has a big elongated culet, and who knows what else. I''m pretty sure it wouldn''t be rated ''Stormworthy''...)

isaku...it that thing isn''t an absolute KILLER, I''LL eat my hat! LOL....

widget

the pictures are part of the tests and data... one of the most important parts.
We could argue all day that the stone your talking about should properly be called a squarish emerald cut and not an asscher but it certainly could be a kicken squarish emerald cut it would be judged for what it is.
Iv seen a few of them and they have a look all their own and can be totaly kicken.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i can understand being hesitant to trust someone when you can't see the diamond with your own two eyes, a bunch of names on an internet forum when you are dropping what? $30k or something? it's tough.

but i would definitely say that i'd trust jonathan on this stone, he does sell them after all, has seen tons of stones being in the biz (and i think that people who have seen many asschers in person, and can comment on experience with visuals is very important, more important than just numbers or tools for this cut) and people have been happy with his selections for them in the past, kaleigh's asscher is fabulous.

and honestly those images you posted are droolworthy!!! but again i can understand it being hard to drop this kind of coin on a first time purchase with someone and especially on a hard-to-judge kind of cut of stone, it's not like with a round which i think is a little easier to understand great cut. but that step pattern in these images is to die for.

i agree with the others if you can get to NYC (it may be worth it!) or have it shipped to somewhere in canada where you can drive and not pay taxes would be fabulous, BUT i think a leap of faith here would be not misplaced in this beauty of a stone. though that comes from someone who doesn't know too much about asschers, just likes to drool over the pictures. good luck!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Storm...Those photos are indeed YUMMY
3.gif
. Thank you for taking the time to post them!!!!

What do you know, I just noticed that I''ve been promoted to a Cut Rock!

Thank you very much whoever is responsible for that.
36.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 3:56:29 PM
Author: DiaGem
Date: 5/21/2006 3:51:14 PM

virtual photo same light condition as the real photo,, no tilt.

Out of the vitual lighting the ASET, IS and this one are my favorites.

Looks like a great Asscher. and specs.??

here are the numbers for the asscher in question:

Shape: Asscher
Carat Weight: 2.26ct
Color: F
Clarity: VVS2
AGS Cut Grade: NA
GIA Cut Grade: NA
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Medium
Girdle: 3.51%
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 13771853
In House: No
Width: 7.38mm
Length: 7.41mm
Depth: 4.96mm
Table Percentage: 61.35%
Depth Percentage: 67.27%
Crown Depth: 16.95%
Pavilion Depth: 46.23%

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2006 3:54:04 PM

The one company that carries RA''s in Toronto ( the hub of the gem industry in Canada) is an upscale national chain- Birks.

I have looked and phoned every company I could think of and they all seem to say one of two things: What''s an asscher look like? OR we could try to bring in some. What''s the name of that cut again?

If you have some info on jewellers in Toronto (or for that matter anywhere in Canada), I''d love to know about it.
I dont recall specific names right now....

But i seem to remember seeing some jewelry/gemstone Canadian trade magazines with adverts from Companies that market "generic" Asschers..., and nice ones i may add.

But if the picture of the Asscher is the one in subject..., i would like to see some numbers/Specs., cause if this is the stone, its a gorgeous Asscher Cut...

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 3:54:04 PM

Try doing a search on the web with the words - asscher cut diamonds Toronto.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Storm...Thanks for posting the specs. You were able to access more info about the stone than I knew.
36.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its a rare one...
Ex-ex in any step-cuts is a hard task to accomplish....

I would go with the gang...., GRAB-IT... (these types dont last that long...) i am surprised some-one is keeping it for you...

good luck

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My stone is EX, EX too. Jon sure knows how to pick''em and so does Storm. I am so glad I bought mine. Wasn''t nervous because I spent a long time researching and Storm held my hand through it all. So if he says it''s kicken, then it''s storm worthy. The great ones like this are very hard to find. Ok pep talk is over, hehe
9.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 4:09:17 PM
Author: DiaGem
Its a rare one...
Ex-ex in any step-cuts is a hard task to accomplish....

I would go with the gang...., GRAB-IT... (these types dont last that long...) i am surprised some-one is keeping it for you...

good luck
Thanks, DiaGem.

I am only too happy to tell you who''s bringing it in on Tuesday - JONATHAN at GOG!!!!

But, credit where credit is due: STORM found it and kept track of it for me!!!! THANK YOU, STORM.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow it's not an in-house diamond...Strm where did you find such a fabulous specimen and where did you also find all that information on it!! I want to know the tools of the yummy asscher-finding trade should I ever be in the market.
31.gif
I was actually looking around last nite on the PS vendor sites and didn't see anything that I thought was nice asscher-wise on the regular haunts, so maybe I'm missing something good.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 4:18:17 PM
Author: Mara
Wow it's not an in-house diamond...Strm where did you find such a fabulous specimen and where did you also find all that information on it!! I want to know the tools of the yummy asscher-finding trade should I ever be in the market.
31.gif
I was actually looking around last nite on the PS vendor sites and didn't see anything that I thought was nice asscher-wise on the regular haunts, so maybe I'm missing something good.

Found it on Jon's website he had called it in for someone and they didnt buy it likely because it was over their budget.
There are probably 6 or 7 kicken cut generic asschers over 2ct available on the market right now and Jon had 4 of them in stock.
When your likely the second largest volume asscher dealer in the US you get first shot at the best ones.
DanielK being the biggest.
This one went off memo and Jon was crazy enough to send it back so he had to have it sent back to him for isaku5.
The fastest route to getting a kicken asscher is deal with a vendor that has the pull to get first shot and knows how to seperate the great from the good. :}

The ASET and IS images are from the .gem file the other is from DiamCalc using the gem file for input.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to all the PS''ers who have given me the necessary pep talk (or kick in the rear) to proceed with the asscher.
30.gif

I''m going to talk to Pete about setting it tomorrow. Is this Memorial Weekend in the US? Maybe I''ll talk to Pete on Tuesday.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 5:02:42 PM
Thanks to all the PS''ers who have given me the necessary pep talk (or kick in the rear) to proceed with the asscher.
30.gif

I''m going to talk to Pete about setting it tomorrow. Is this Memorial Weekend in the US? Maybe I''ll talk to Pete on Tuesday.
1.gif
No Memorial weekend is next week. Quest is closed on Monday''s but someone is usually there to answer the phone. I have reached Pete on many Mondays. Good luck!!
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
te:[/b] 5/21/2006 5:02:42 PM
30.gif

1.gif
[/quote]

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

You will love it :}

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 5:08:51 PM
Author: kaleigh

30.gif

1.gif
No Memorial weekend is next week. Quest is closed on Monday''s but someone is usually there to answer the phone. I have reached Pete on many Mondays. Good luck!!
1.gif
Thanks for the correct date, kaleigh.

Do you mind if I bring your strong fluor/ halo set ring into the conversation??

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 5:14:55 PM

Date: 5/21/2006 5:08:51 PM
Author: kaleigh

30.gif

1.gif
1.gif
Thanks for the correct date, kaleigh.

Do you mind if I bring your strong fluor/ halo set ring into the conversation??
No of course not. I want you to!!!!
2.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Now, just one more question:

How can I save Storm''s verbal analysis of the 2.26 where everything is spelled out without saving the entire thread?

Thanks.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 5:27:31 PM
Now, just one more question:

How can I save Storm''s verbal analysis of the 2.26 where everything is spelled out without saving the entire thread?

Thanks.
copy and paste.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I think that stone is gorgeous. I would scoop it up, if I were you.

What you are feeling is buyer''s remorse. It is a large purchase, and it is hard to stomach shelling out all that money, especially for something so small! But I am sure you will not regret it. It looks beautiful. Another vote to trust Jonathan on this. Good luck, and let us know what Pete says Monday!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 6:04:10 PM
Author: lizz
I think that stone is gorgeous. I would scoop it up, if I were you.

What you are feeling is buyer''s remorse. It is a large purchase, and it is hard to stomach shelling out all that money, especially for something so small! But I am sure you will not regret it. It looks beautiful. Another vote to trust Jonathan on this. Good luck, and let us know what Pete says Monday!
Thanks for the vote of confidence, lizz.

I don''t know whether it''s buyer''s remorse yet because Jon has been kind enough not to charge me to bring it in. If I decided not to buy it, I would certainly expect to pay shipping and insurance to GOG for bringing it in. Fair is fair.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 5:12:13 PM

30.gif

1.gif

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Thanks again, Storm. I know you keep track of how many people you have helped get" kicken" asschers. What''s the number up to now???
35.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Great decision! I can''t wait to see the stone set.

I would 100% trust Storm and Jon''s advice with asschers. If I am ever in the market for an asscher, they will be the first I contact. The generosity of Storm''s time to help asscher shoppers is amazing.
36.gif
Storm, please keep me on your list because I know for sure I''ll be in the market for an assher....someday. Hee.

This stone will be a beauty!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Storm has helped so many, I don''t know that even he can keep track. Plus there are those that learn from him and don''t post....
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 6:47:40 PM
Date: 5/21/2006 5:12:13 PM

30.gif

1.gif

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Thanks again, Storm. I know you keep track of how many people you have helped get'' kicken'' asschers. What''s the number up to now???
35.gif

LOL, I keep rough track not an exact count last time I thought about it it was around 85 and there has been atleast 20 since then maybe more.
so around a 100 some where....
I depends on how you count to em too because a lot dont come back and say what they got so I dont know if they bought it or not.
So basicaly take the number with a grain or 3 of salt :}

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Mara...Thanks for the "cut and paste" plan. I''ll have to learn how to do that.

You mentioned that you were looking at asscher info and I remembered several posts you made a couple of years ago regarding the ideal asscher. As I recall, orange_horse fiance''s 4 carat beauty was discussed in that thread.

Didn''t I see that you now have a brand spanking new huge RB e-ring and now you''re scoping out asschers again??? You don''t have to explain anything to me about that; on to the next project!! A true PS''er!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results