shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher ring - cold feet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 3:32:26 PM
Author: isaku5
Mrssalvo... Thanks for the Michael Beaudry design idea. I think it''s Pearlman''s that sells those, isn''t it?

yep
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Icestore doesn''t allow their pictures to be used elsewhere, but ... have you seen this Asscher/Baquette halo setting that they offer.

I''m not sure if I like the center stone lifted up like that in that particular setting ... but ... worth taking a look ...

MercuriusOne

Rough_Rock
Not sure if you figured out the tax situation yet... but a couple weekends ago I got engaged while vacationing in Vancouver. My ringmaker, who was busily trying to get the ring to us while on the trip, didn't realize that I was talking about Vancouver B.C. and not Vancouver, Washington (of all things... lol). The result was some sudden panic when we realized that it would't get through customs in time, and I'd be saddled with all those taxes....

However, there was a FedEx office in Bellingham, Wa., of course... and Bellingham is an hour away, or so, from Vancouver.....

So I rented a car and drove to Bellingham, picked up the ring, and drove back.... no taxes, no questions, etc....

Best of luck to you... We bought an Asscher from NY, as well, and find it marvelous. 1.56C, VS1,I... no flourescence, and dazzling. We used a simple single baguette style in platinum, but the I like the Halo immensely....

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 3:55:04 PM
Author: decodelighted
Icestore doesn''t allow their pictures to be used elsewhere, but ... have you seen this Asscher/Baquette halo setting that they offer.

I''m not sure if I like the center stone lifted up like that in that particular setting ... but ... worth taking a look ...
Hi decodelighted...Thanks for finding that link. Believe it or not, that setting was my initial inspiration, but had trouble finding a suitable asscher to go into it, and I wasn''t sure I liked the profile.

I may have to re-think the whole idea. I thought that that setting was a bit expensive, but I''m quickly finding out that it''s not.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 4:10:57 PM
Author: MercuriusOne
Not sure if you figured out the tax situation yet... but a couple weekends ago I got engaged while vacationing in Vancouver. My ringmaker, who was busily trying to get the ring to us while on the trip, didn''t realize that I was talking about Vancouver B.C. and not Vancouver, Washington (of all things... lol). The result was some sudden panic when we realized that it would''t get through customs in time, and I''d be saddled with all those taxes....

However, there was a FedEx office in Bellingham, Wa., of course... and Bellingham is an hour away, or so, from Vancouver.....

So I rented a car and drove to Bellingham, picked up the ring, and drove back.... no taxes, no questions, etc....

Best of luck to you... We bought an Asscher from NY, as well, and find it marvelous. 1.56C, VS1,I... no flourescence, and dazzling. We used a simple single baguette style in platinum, but the I like the Halo immensely....
Thanks for your valuable input, MercuriousOne. Great to hear from a fellow Canadian!
36.gif

The halo idea is great, but having it custom made is expensive.
38.gif

We are OK with the tax thing, but thanks anyway.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I think both jewelers have an agenda...Each wants to sell me an asscher plus the setting.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with getting quotes from the other vendors. From what I've seen on this forum, both of those vendors are pretty accomodating when it comes to setting stones not purchased from them, so I'll venture to say that they are probably not trying to persuade u to buy the stone from them - I mean, I'm sure they'll be happy if you decide to get the stone from them, but I'm sure they'll respect the fact that you have or are going to buy the stone from GOG. I've heard good things abt them, so I'll be disappointed if they are indeed holding back on the quote because you're not buying the stone from them!

Matching the FLR to the 2.26 sounds a little far-fetched, but maybe they do need to match the side stones to your center stone, like storm suggested.

Hope it works out for u soon!

Re: taking on so many projects - we purchased the land for the house last Oct, and found out I'm pregnant in Feb
2.gif
, and I was hoping the house will be finished in time for the baby, but it hasn't even commenced building yet! My MIL has a pool in her place in Queensland, and she's putting in a pool fence because of Button (nickname for our baby)! I'm sure we'll have to do something similar for ours because we're not going to get a permit to put a pool in otherwise!

More news on my possible asscher upgrade
41.gif
- Jon is going to bring the 2.47 G VS2 in for me on their tab to do the analysis, so I'm pretty rapt! Customer service like that is why I keep going back to them for diamond purchases! Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be a stunner like yours!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Great to hear from you again, JadeLeaves.

I''m happy to hear that Jon is bringing in the 2.47 for you to consider. I hope it meets your expectations.

Since you''ve read about the trouble I''m having with the setting, do you have one in mind?

I hope you''re right about the jewellers not having an agenda about the diamond +the setting, but why couldn''t they venture an estimate of the cost without having the diamond in their hands? I gave them both the pertinent info and measurements. I don''t like the idea of an expensive diamond being shipped from setter A for a quote, then to setter B etc...
14.gif

Mrssalvo suggested that I try Pearlman''s , so I called and spoke to Mr. Pearlman (Bill). He seemed interested and so I e-mailed the picture, measurements,etc. He replied soon after saying that he didn''t think the setting would be a problem so we''ll see where we go from there.

Would you post a pic and some specs on the 2.47 you''re considering?
36.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm I haven''t thought that far to the setting yet. I guess I was sort of hoping to see how Gypsy''s and yours turns out
31.gif

So far I''ve only seen a copy of the cert of the 2.47 cos it''s not an in-house stone, so I''ll wait for other info before starting a new thread.

I might actually contact Precious Metals over here for a quote for the ring - will keep u updated!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 7:49:25 PM
Author: JadeLeaves
Hmm I haven''t thought that far to the setting yet. I guess I was sort of hoping to see how Gypsy''s and yours turns out
31.gif

So far I''ve only seen a copy of the cert of the 2.47 cos it''s not an in-house stone, so I''ll wait for other info before starting a new thread.

I might actually contact Precious Metals over here for a quote for the ring - will keep u updated!
I haven''t heard of Precious Metals before. Do you have their web address?

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 7:35:54 PM
Great to hear from you again, JadeLeaves.

I''m happy to hear that Jon is bringing in the 2.47 for you to consider. I hope it meets your expectations.

Since you''ve read about the trouble I''m having with the setting, do you have one in mind?

I hope you''re right about the jewellers not having an agenda about the diamond +the setting, but why couldn''t they venture an estimate of the cost without having the diamond in their hands? I gave them both the pertinent info and measurements. I don''t like the idea of an expensive diamond being shipped from setter A for a quote, then to setter B etc...
14.gif

Mrssalvo suggested that I try Pearlman''s , so I called and spoke to Mr. Pearlman (Bill). He seemed interested and so I e-mailed the picture, measurements,etc. He replied soon after saying that he didn''t think the setting would be a problem so we''ll see where we go from there.

Would you post a pic and some specs on the 2.47 you''re considering?
36.gif

Bill is good people.
hopefully he can help ya out.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bill is a great guy!!! A real pleasure to work with isaku.
1.gif

brendaleong

Rough_Rock
I am looking for an asscher that is between 2.5 - 3 carats. has anyone come across a Strmdr-worthy one of late in this size?

Thanks

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 9:31:45 PM
Author: Gemworthy
I am looking for an asscher that is between 2.5 - 3 carats. has anyone come across a Strmdr-worthy one of late in this size?

Thanks
Call www.goodoldgold.com and tell them what you are looking for. Good luck!!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 8:39:11 PM
Precious Metals is located in Melbourne, Australia.

Their website address is www.preciousmetals.com.au.
Thanks, JadeLeaves. No wonder I couldn''t find them under a .com address!
35.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Storm, kaleigh and mrssalvo for sending me to Pearlman''s Jewelers and confirming that Bill is a good guy to work with. He certainly was helpful and encouraging on the phone today.

So now Marie is going to try to bring the price down by lowering the diamond weight of the stones. I asked her today if she had actually seen the diamond since it''s right there at GOG, and she replied that she hadn''t: she was going by the measurements. If Marie can provide an estimate without seeing the diamond, why couldn''t Pete and Mark?????

Also, Bill Pearlman is having a look around.

I''m feeling more confident that a beautiful ring at an affordable price is in the works....
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 10:26:00 PM
Thanks, Storm, kaleigh and mrssalvo for sending me to Pearlman''s Jewelers and confirming that Bill is a good guy to work with. He certainly was helpful and encouraging on the phone today.

So now Marie is going to try to bring the price down by lowering the diamond weight of the stones. I asked her today if she had actually seen the diamond since it''s right there at GOG, and she replied that she hadn''t: she was going by the measurements. If Marie can provide an estimate without seeing the diamond, why couldn''t Pete and Mark?????

Also, Bill Pearlman is having a look around.

I''m feeling more confident that a beautiful ring at an affordable price is in the works....
36.gif

I''m not sure why Quest needs the stone for the quote. They gave me a quote for my setting b/f I sent the stone. Maybe becauses it''s a fancy??

I''m glad your feeling better. Getting a new ring should be fun and not so stressful.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
You''re right on the money, mrssalvo. I never dreamed I was going to have to go through all this. I thought it would be a lot easier than it has turned out.
38.gif

Pricescopers are the supportive team that keep my spirits up. Thank you...thank you ...thank you to all the loyal, generous folks who are helping me to keep the shreds of my sanity together.
35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pete gave me a quote without having my stone too. I''d be happy to call him for you on Tuesday If you like. He''s become a friend over the past year. Perhaps I can clear some of this up for you. Let me know...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
IT WAS????

Holy Crap. Had no idea.

Isaku... Greenlake came in WAY high for my setting too. Around 5-6K. So... grain of salt.

New job is great... but hectic... worked 11 hours today... same tommorrow and possibly all weekend. But I like much more than my last position.

Pete at Quest gave me a qoute without the diamond too!!! And I have no pics of the thing ... while you have a ton.

As for Mark... he's given me CADs of all things with out my diamond in hand. BUT NO QOUTE! I'm feeling like I may have to put my foot down with him.

OKAY. So... I'm at a loss. New setting ideas are in order. Let me see what I can find... okay? What, if any, colored stones would you be willing to consider? AND step cuts only still? Or is combination okay? I'm not going to be home and awake for more than an hour a day at night this weekend, unless a miracle happens. But I'll look on my hard drive (who knew that was a Daniel K??? LOL) and see what, if anything pops up!

Date: 5/25/2006 11:16:41 PM
The new pics are stunning!

Haha guess there's no chance of me getting my hands on this puppy!

Re: Daniel K - Ohh I had hoped either gypsy or you might know, cos the original baguette halo with yellow asscher was a Daniel K setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
See now that''s an offer I''d take Isaku!

How wonderful of you Kaleigh!!
Date: 5/26/2006 11:05:03 PM
Author: kaleigh
Pete gave me a quote without having my stone too. I''d be happy to call him for you on Tuesday If you like. He''s become a friend over the past year. Perhaps I can clear some of this up for you. Let me know...

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 11:05:03 PM
Author: kaleigh
If you don''t mind, kaleigh, that would be great.

Initially, Pete and I seemed to get along well, but the relationship is on a downward turn right now. He mentioned yesterday that to provide a quote, he''d need exact measurements of all 8 sides. I contacted Jon and told him and Jon sent the sarin report to me which I forwarded to Pete.

This morning Pete called and said that the sarin wasn''t what he wanted, he needed exact measurements which he (Pete) had the technology to calculate because the measurements for placing traps in the halo had to be exact. He would not quote unless he had the diamond in his hand.

I certainly don''t want you to jeopardize your friendship with him over this so I''ll leave it up to you whether you want to talk to him. Thank you for offering.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay here''s the last of my hard drive pics. I HAVE NO IDEA where I got these... so if they are designer settings... I don''t know it (was shocked the other one was Daniel K-- who knew???)

Isaku 2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
4.gif
And this one...

Isaku 3.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
AND FINALLY... this one.
21.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you give me the measurements of the stone?? I can call Jon to get them if you don''t mind. I only had to give Pete the exact measurements to get a quote. I''m sure I can work this out for you. You don''t have to go with him. But I need to clear this up in my own head. Just seems off to me.
33.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apparently I got this from someplace called Isaac...lol.

Isaku 4.jpg

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gypsy....So glad you''re enjoying your new job more than your old one.

Who woulda thunk we were trying to pass off a Daniel K??????? I looked at his site today, but I didn''t see anything resembling the ring you had in your hard drive that Irina Photoshopped. Big OOPS!

I spoke to Mark at ERD today as well and he said pretty much the same thing that Pete said: Send me the diamond.

I don''t think I want to mix coloured stones with this asscher - just diamonds.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s from about 2 years ago... that one. So are all of these. Maybe even three years ago now. I have been plotting and planning this setting out for a while. LOL. So I''ve been collecting pics for inspiration. I''m going to post the CAD''s Mark sent me... I *think* maybe he wants to get a clear exact idea of what I want before giving me a qoute... but, well. He hasn''t given me one yet... this is the THIRD set of CADs he''s sent me though... and I''ve asked for changes to these too. ... posting them now.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 9:31:45 PM
Author: Gemworthy

Thanks
I really thing Strmrdr should patent his name because some day ALL asschers will be measured against this...somebody will come up with a StormRider Asscher cut and everybody will want one
36.gif
...and we were there...from the begining
16.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results