shape
carat
color
clarity

What shape for Double Halo Yellow Diamond Ring??

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd ask whether the material it is sitting on is white in real life.
I doubt it is, but I'd ask.

If a vendor is taking FCD pics at my request I'll ask them to be sure there is something white near the diamond, and preferrable white is the only thing it is resting on.

Then I know if that known-white-area shows up on MY monitor as anything other than white, I can sort of correct for the error it in my brain.
For instance if the known-white area looks a little greenish on my monitor, I'll know the stone itself is really a little less green than it appears in that pic on my monitor.

You'd think anyone selling FCDs would not place a Yellow FCD on a yellowish surface if the pic is for a customer to judge the yellow color.
Either they are clueless, or trying to make the diamond look more yellow or concealing windowing/leakage.
If that background is white in real life, shame on them for not matching the white balance setting of the camera to the light source they are using, or messing with the color with software.

When I wrote that photographing the color of FCDs accurately was difficult I was not referring to blatant operator error things like these.
I'm not saying any of these IS what's happening, but I'd ask questions.
You are selecting based on color so they should be able to tell you what they are doing.

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
0.83 Fancy Yellow, this one seems to have some light leakage (dead spots?)? I think I like 0.85 better than this one even though 0.83 has better shape (more square).

0.83%20FY-RADIANT.jpg

1.07 Fancy "brownish" Yellow with strong blue fl. Love the size and the way it looks. More concerned about the "brownish" color. From this picture, I can't really see brown

1.07-%20FY-RADIANT.jpg

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
0.72 Fancy Intense Yellow Cushion, this is one of my favorite

0.72%20FIY-CUSHION.jpg

1.02 Fancy Yellow Cushion

1.02%20FY-CUSHION.jpg

1.08 Fancy "brownish" Yellow, don't like this one.

1.08%20FY-CUSHION.jpg

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
1.07 Fancy "brownish greenish" Yellow, don't know what to think of this.

1.07%20FY-OVAL.jpg

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1296265796|2836237 said:
If I were making this ring, I'd want the lowest color AVC I could find. This one might not be yellow enough for you in real life, but I thought of you when I saw it!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7805/

That is pretty! I didn't know there are fancy color AVC available now! For me it is too pale looking and since I already have AVC as my ER, I'll go with something else! Thanks for the heads up though!! :wavey:

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1296268533|2836269 said:
I'd ask whether the material it is sitting on is white in real life.
I doubt it is, but I'd ask.

If a vendor is taking FCD pics at my request I'll ask them to be sure there is something white near the diamond, and preferrable white is the only thing it is resting on.

Then I know if that known-white-area shows up on MY monitor as anything other than white, I can sort of correct in it in my brain.

For instance if the known-white area is a little greenish I'll know the stone itself is really a little less green than it appears in that pic on my monitor.

You'd think anyone selling FCDs would not place it on a yellowish surface if the pic is for a customer to judge the yellow color.
Either they are clueless, or trying to make the diamond look more yellow or concealing leakage.
If that background really is white in real life shame on them for not matching the white balance setting of the camera to the light source they are using.

When I wrote that photographing the color of FCDs accurately was difficult I was not referring to blatant operator error things like these.

That is a great advice! I will be sure to ask what is the color of the material the stones are placed. It sure looks like cream color in some, but in some pictures it can be white.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if all of the backgrounds are the same color in real life but not in these pics . . . uhm, we have a problem Houston.

My apologies, but I added to my former post, so please read it again.
I'm a hopeless editor. :knockout:

All this photography mumbo jumbo may not matter to a customer who is not too particular about the exact color.
But photography incompetence (or worse, shenanigans) makes me not trust a vendor of FCDs, where color is everything and dramatically affects the price.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If they are on the same background... why does it look off white in one pic, pink in another, grey in yet another, and white in still another.

Weird.

I'd kinda liking the oval but it looks like it has a prominent bowtie... or something.Terrible perspective. Ask for a head on shot.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am crazy...I totally was not thinking about your e-ring being an AVC!!! Maybe I should get it then. :naughty:

If it was me, I'd ask him to try and find more fancy light yellows. To be honest, I don't love any of those stones. Of course, it is a little hard to tell without seeing them in person.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I don't love any of these stones.

Like mentioned the background being different colors when I assume it is white is not good IMO. That's why I like lots of photos. So if something is off with the color balance, then you have way more context to work from.

But the biggest issue to me, is that there are a LOT of very very dark areas to these stones. Not windows that may show leakage, but dark that won't ever get light. I've seen that on not so well cut radiants before. They can get kind of their own weird version of a bow tie in the corners and in the center along the edges outside of the table. Does that make sense? I have a busy day today but I'd be glad to take the photos and circle where I am talking about, but really these dark areas are *very* obvious.

This is where I'll say something I've realized. I went to several jewelers who are well rated in my area. Two were honest and said they rarely deal in fancies but would help if I was willing to take a lot of time.

Three told me they could find something. One called back and blatantly lied to me telling me that yellows are rare in radiants and that they could find me a round if I liked. When I called back to ask about it (message left on my voice mail) another sales associate couldn't find the notes on my request, but would tell the other to call back. Never did.

Two others never got back to me.

My point? I really do not think you are wise to use someone who does know *KNOW* fancy colored diamonds to buy one.

I know you love Leon and want to try Perry, but I think when it comes to real fancy colored diamonds you need to find someone who can get you great stones. Not just mediocre ones like these seem with all the black spots. Radiants should not have ones like that. A great radiant for colored diamonds will have complete edge to edge sparkle... whether chunky or crushed ice they should not look so dead in those areas.

The best looking stone out of all of these is the 1.07 Fancy Brownish Yellow. It seems to not be so dark and black. Same is true of the .72 Fancy Intense Cushion. But that will be VERY bright yellow.

My last comment. I don't think Perry is listening to you. If you like Fancy LIGHT Yellow, why is he giving you very very bold colors that are INTENSE?

I might seem harsh, but I really don't like the idea that you will be giving money for a diamond that isn't worth it. If the prices seem low compared with Perry's picks to either Fancydiamonds or DBL, there is probably a reason. You get what you pay for.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Good luck with your endeavor to find the perfect Fancy Yellow diamond-what a fun search!!! I think a double halo setting will be a lovely choice to showcase the center stone you choose.

The pics Perry provided you with are quite poor in my honest opinion, not that colored diamonds are easy to take photos of that accurately show their correct colors. But the backgrounds are all off in the ones you posted. Of the ones posted my favorite is the Fancy Deep Yellow, but I know you are looking for a less saturated stone. I own yellows in several color ranges and find all hues and saturation's to be lovely in there own way :)

I second what others have said about contacting DBL-David is great at finding exactly what you are looking for. I have also worked with fancydiamonds.net and have found them to be responsive and great to work with. I also wanted to add that most of the stones that you posted from Perry have blue Fluorescence, stones in the color range you are looking in really need to be evaluated in person to see if that Fluor effects the color of the stone-it is certainly possible that the blue fluor could lessen the yellow color in certain lighting conditions.

I think that either a radiant or cushion shaped stone should be quite easy to find a lovely specimen for your project. Good luck and come back with pictures!!! :D

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again everyone!

I sent E-mail to DBL, wait and see what they have to say..... I don't really need to stick to Perry, but I want a very delicate well made double halo. I looked through DBL's site for the setting, but most of them are too bulky or have too much metal for my liking. Do they do delicate setting per request? Anyone have any delicate halo made by them? If not, who else do delicate pave setting?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wintotty|1296321366|2836526 said:
Thanks again everyone!

I sent E-mail to DBL, wait and see what they have to say..... I don't really need to stick to Perry, but I want a very delicate well made double halo. I looked through DBL's site for the setting, but most of them are too bulky or have too much metal for my liking. Do they do delicate setting per request? Anyone have any delicate halo made by them? If not, who else do delicate pave setting?

can you get the diamond sourced by DBL but get Leon to make the ring?

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Helllloooo my gorgeous wonderful Wintotty!!!!

Let's see if I have any 2 cents worth mentioning.

Thoughts regarding Perry sourcing:
For me, and for what I know that was similar out there at the time I was looking, Perry got me a fantastic deal on my stone. About 1 to 2 K less than eleswhere. But I was looking for about a .60 oval greenish yellow strong flour stone and that in itself kept my choices limited. Here is one thing to be aware of, and you should ask about: returns. Since you are in the States, I would want to have the stone sent to you for final perusal, which would have been insane for me since I'm overseas. And you must make sure you can return it if you don't like it for any reason. Go over that with Perry.

The other wonderful thing of course of going with Perry is that it keeps it all in house. But that is not necessary. David at DBL has some gorgeous stones, he will bend over in knots to serve you, and he's just down the block from Leon. In my search, I had contacted David and I can't say enough about how kind, helpful, and all around professional he is. I almost got a stone from him.

Leibish is also a very professional vendor that I had contact with, and I liked them as well. But didn't go too far in my process with them, so I would rely on Kenny and his experience with them.

Lastly, one other option you have, is to have Jon at GOG cut a "branded" stone from colored rough for you. Pluses: and amazing branded GOG light performing colored diamond. Minuses: you'll have to talk to Jon about how quickly it could be done and return issues. I believe if it is a branded cut, it has the same lifetime warranty/upgrade policy but I forget. Also, you're not gonna get the deal of the century that way, so depends on the $$ factor.

Let me know if there is more I can help with. I'm soooo excited for your project!

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
wintotty|1296321366|2836526 said:
Thanks again everyone!

Recently I've seen some very delicate halos come out of them. Hand made from platinum wire IIRC (I could be wrong but that's what I thought I read). I haven't seen them in person but it's worth to ask about. Worse case scenario is that you don't care for them :)

I hope you didn't think I was too harsh earlier. I admit I was in a rush to get out to a baby shower I was hosting and don't always choose my words well when I am in a hurry.

I really hope you find the stone of your dreams. I think a well cut center stone is the most important part of a piece of jewelry. And I think if you stick to FLY you will be able to get a lot of stone for your money compared to the deeper colored stones you've been shown.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can still have Leon make the ring even if you buy the stone elsewhere! But I imagine Perry is going to the same diamond dealers that any other NYC vendor can access. So you may just have to keep him looking and tell him to look for FLY!

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
Hi Missydebby :wavey:

Thanks for sharing your opinion! It is nice to "talk" to you again, I saw your gorgeous ring with the yellow diamond....it is very unique and special looking!

It is very hard for me to even compare the stones since I have no knowledge in terms of fancy colored diamonds. The reason why I went to Perry first was because I trust his (Leon's) eyes for the look of the diamonds. Without any knowledge I was afraid of buying a stone off from other vendors I've never used. I sent E-mail to DBL last night so I'll wait and see what he says.

I went to Tiffany today and tried on the Sola ring again, and I just LOVE that ring. I so wanted to take it home with me, but not for $15K (.9carat Fancy Yellow), should be able to do better else where.

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
clgwli,

No worry, I appreciate your opinion... I will sure to ask about DBL's delicate halo setting. I sent them a picture of Sola Ring and my preference of the delicate halo, so hopefully they will let me know if that's something they can pull off. =)

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker,

Yup, I haven't given up on getting a LM ring, I'm going to see my available option with other vendor and see what is best. Leon's quote for the setting was pretty reasonable, so I wonder if the quote changes if I tell him that I'm getting the key stone from other vendors?

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
wintotty|1296354357|2836983 said:
Actually this setting from DBL looks very close to Tiffany's ring if the halo is doubled. It look pretty well made from the picture, what do you think?
http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/je...si2-daussi-cushion-diamond-lovely-color-r3623
Henri Daussi makes absolutely *stunning* settings! I love love love them! I've only seen them once in person but *sigh* they are on my wish list for sure. Not sure what, but I want something they make LOL Ask David about it and see if you can buy the semi mount or get one made something like it. I've worked with him and he's honest yet does the best he can for his customers (at least in my experience)

I am so glad you didn't think I was too harsh earlier. I really just didn't want to wait until late and maybe forget my first reactions to the stones.

I really hope you find the best stone and setting for your dream. I love that Tiffany has yellow diamonds now. Ever since this fall, I've had more people ask about my "canary" (ha ha ha) ring. I think Tiffany is bringing colored diamonds to the spotlight in a way that the others who sell browns fail! And as a lover of colored diamonds I am thrilled!

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
I always have been interested in owning, but always thought it is out of my price range.
For some reason I thought the diamond should be in substantial size (2-3carats) to look good, but Tiffany's rings changed my mind completely. Actually the smaller diamond can look really great and delicate and fabulous! I'm SO excited about this project, and you are great help!! :appl:

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Especially with a double halo you can go with a much smaller stone since the halo will add a good size to the ring. I wish my husband liked halos more. It's kind of disheartening when you like something and show it to your husband for your wedding set and he just says "eh" LOL

I hope you have some better choices soon to show us all. I love looking at colored diamonds and yellow in particular! I can't wait to see the final product whenever that may be!

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
When I went to Tiffany to try on the rings this weekend, they had Intense Yellow and Fancy Yellow (but this one looked really light). I LOVED how the intense yellow ring looked, and lighter one looked blended in the white diamond halos and looked kind of lost. I thought I wanted the light yellow diamond, but now feel I should go with the intense yellow to get the same look. I don't want the ring to look like the cluster of diamonds......I want the center stone to shine and be able to see the yellow pop. I really don't have any experiences with Yellow diamonds, but the Fancy Yellow Tiffany had looked REALLY light. I wonder if that was light yellow and the SA didn't really check what it said??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be willing to bet money that the SA didn't get it right. They may not know there is a difference between FY and FLY.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
You know it could be that the Fancy Yellow was a very weak Fancy Yellow. At least with GIA there are ranges of each color grade. I've seen W-X stones that seem more vivid than FLY. It can happen based on how they grade the diamonds (they grade non fancy colors from the side and fancy from the top)

That said I know nothing about how Tiffany actually grades their stones. I looked on their site and they claim to only use Fancy Yellow to Fancy Vivid Yellow
http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/category.aspx?mcat=148210&cid=649502#p+1-n+6-cg+-c+-s+-r+-t+-ri+-ni+1-x+-pu+linkYellowDiamondsAbout+-f+

You should definitely get what you want though. I really wish I had time to go to our Tiffany to see what they look like and compare to mine.

I really can't imagine a Fancy Yellow blending into white diamonds though. That should give it a great contrast.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to take into account Tiffany's lighting, too (at least in ours). In there, you can't tell a D stone from a H. So that is going to have an affect on every stone in there. You really can't see true color until you get in natural lighting. The other factor is, I wonder if all those stones had GIA grading, because some diamonds just have Tiffany grading, so they might grade some FLY's as FY.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a GIA graded FLY and it doesn't blend into the stones at all. Maybe those stones weren't GIA graded?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results