carat
color
clarity

What halo settings would you suggest?

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

So, an unfortunate loss resulted in me finding a replacement for an antique pear last month... When I couldn’t find a pear that would satisfy as a replacement, I began working with Erica for a different cut. She had a few beautiful stones I was considering, but I ultimately chose this 2.01 OEC stone:

5AC07622-6762-417F-8A05-A79167B11E47.jpeg
8B9BAA37-DFE0-4541-A60C-800E8B496A4D.jpeg 8FDA1651-6F14-48CE-BBF5-319A071F4C9C.jpeg CFCA63A9-3B1F-421D-B03A-B2C44CF182AB.jpeg

I’m pretty set on going with a halo to give the stone some added finger coverage and I’ve been enamored with several halos I’ve seen here - especially octagon styles. :kiss2: Since I wasn’t certain what would compliment the stone the best, I’ve asked Erica to set it in the Stuller solitaire temporarily until I decide. I’d love to hear any suggestions and begin gathering inspiration photos.

So, how would you set it?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not helpful but I would do a baguette on either side. It’s beautiful!

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
The OEC is an absolute beauty @stonewell ..looking forward to seeing more ideas too. I like the idea of baguettes on both sides of the diamond....

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe prohibitively expensive, but what about baguettes or frencies in the halo? I'd also:
~reduce the size of the inner round stones.
~remove the double pave and make it single or remove in the shank

upload_2018-7-15_16-44-7.png

Simplier.
upload_2018-7-15_16-45-35.png
upload_2018-7-15_16-46-7.png

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that last one!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @AprilBaby and @Rpb... Erica didn’t make my decision easy, that’s for certain! She has such gorgeous stones. :)

Love the ideas you’ve posted @rockysalamander.... especially the thought of using frenchies. It could be a way to pay homage to my pear. I had it set with alternating single and french cuts in the halo.

Even though this will be a rhr, I’m not sure if I can pull off a double halo. I think the simpler ones you listed are right up my alley. I just looked through my setting wish list and found these two I had stored away some time ago

E4D1A63D-DAC2-4CDB-900F-426300900E76.jpeg 606FA390-705B-4ADA-BFDD-09D5D67F31C2.jpeg

I’m not sure if I want it to be so angular or boxy. I’ve thought about pinging Caysie and having her do a modified Avalon and call it a day... but, just not sure yet so hoping for more ideas and feedback. :confused:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I've seen a few amazing OEC settings in here. I'm going to go hunting for them (although at work on a break so this may not last very long...):

@bright ice's OEC is just gorgeous...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-queen-victoria-royalty.240928/

@isithering has one with a bezel set OEC and a halo with an air line.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-52-oec-dazzler-from-israel-rose.240576/

@LLJsmom makes hers the centre of attention by just having some subtle baguettes on the shank of her ring, it gives finger coverage but not through the use of a halo.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-04-oec-k-vs1-early-20th-anniversary.223129/

@twosanguinehearts has a beautiful custom vintage inspired setting for hers...!
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rm-2-4ct-oec-in-new-single-stone-halo.182455/

This thread has a few setting ideas, mostly for three stones to be honest but I've linked to page two because there's a really beautiful octagonal halo on that page. That has my vote I think octagonal settings look awesome with OECs.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rown-oec-need-ideas-for-setting.234321/page-2

Right that's my break done I have to go. I'm sure I've seen many more amazing settings on Pricescope, one is in my head that is also octagonal but I cannot remember who owns it so I was just using the Search function and posting here whatever I found! :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That OEC is amazing! And I love the two settings you posted but especially the first one!!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@WillyDiamond and @sledge... you both make good arguments for the classic halo. I do like the thought that it would allow the OEC to be the star of the show.

@LLJsmom - your setting is sooo amazingly drool worthy! :kiss2: I’ve that one marked on wish list for some time!

@Lykame, thank you so much for gathering those links! All gorgeous settings, and the octagon you pointed out has also really caught my eye. The NSEW diamonds appear to be french cuts, right?

@sapphiremomma, thank you! I’ve had that one in my wish folder for a couple of years. Looking at it now, I still like it a lot, but would want it reworked so there isn’t an airline gap where the rounds are set.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simplify the shank, but if you added an hexagon bezel to the center, using rounds like this would help with the cost and I like the echo of the round center. I'm probably use little OECs or single cuts.

https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/vintage-octagon-halo-engagement-ring

upload_2018-7-16_9-37-13.png

Different ring, but this gallery is elegant and sweet and could be used on a ring like the above with some tweaks to blend the two looks.
https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/ashley-affordable-vintage-engagement-ring
upload_2018-7-16_9-38-16.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No specific suggestions, but I am in love with Liz's aesthetic:
https://thegemstoneproject.com/repertoire/

Vintage meets romance. I was describing what I like about her work to my other half the other day, and I said something like "she replaces the straights of 'art deco' with curves and fluidity but keeps the precision, the architectural patterning, the contrast"... He just sort of stared at me, but PSers will understand :mrgreen2:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Simplify the shank, but if you added an hexagon bezel to the center, using rounds like this would help with the cost and I like the echo of the round center. I'm probably use little OECs or single cuts.

https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/vintage-octagon-halo-engagement-ring

upload_2018-7-16_9-37-13.png

Different ring, but this gallery is elegant and sweet and could be used on a ring like the above with some tweaks to blend the two looks.
https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/ashley-affordable-vintage-engagement-ring
upload_2018-7-16_9-38-16.png
Side view of the octogon. Its needs a bit of refinement, but I love that the petals fall away from the center.

upload_2018-7-16_9-40-40.png

Using some small OECs to this would nice! I also like how this is angled but agree it needs to be refined. I’d want to eliminate the airline gap and tighten it up. Adding this to the inspiration folder!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My favorite octagonal setting is CVB's casablanca. Especially with an OEC center!

IMG_9463.jpg

You’d think I was a stalker if you only knew how much I go revisit and stare at your pics! :lol: Your gorgeous ring (along with one or two other Casablanca’s) have long been in the folder... I just love so many settings I see here that I hesitate when I realize I can only pick one. :rolleyes:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love a good antique-style halo!

I have this Victorian one and can take more pics if you need. The center is 0.50, so it should have fantastic finger coverage with your lovely stone.

2018-07-16_13-36-16.jpg

This one is on JBG and has a nice antique feel to it:
JBG.jpg

Beautiful options! I’m especially enamored with the second one you posted... it also reminds me of CvBs recent Cora setting.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No specific suggestions, but I am in love with Liz's aesthetic:
https://thegemstoneproject.com/repertoire/

Vintage meets romance. I was describing what I like about her work to my other half the other day, and I said something like "she replaces the straights of 'art deco' with curves and fluidity but keeps the precision, the architectural patterning, the contrast"... He just sort of stared at me, but PSers will understand :mrgreen2:

I’d go with this in a heartbeat if I hadn’t already had Elle make a modified version for my 5-stone ring. I agree, she’s an amazing designer and my 5-stone is one of my most favorite rings. :kiss2: Part of me wants to have this stone set in the art deco, octagon with the engraved halo she has shown on her site. I think it would look quite stunning.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d go with this in a heartbeat if I hadn’t already had Elle make a modified version for my 5-stone ring. I agree, she’s an amazing designer and my 5-stone is one of my most favorite rings. :kiss2: Part of me wants to have this stone set in the art deco, octagon with the engraved halo she has shown on her site. I think it would look quite stunning.
Goodness, yes, you're one of the few PSers who have worked with her!! And I'm a cad for not remembering that the five-stone beauty I was thinking of was yours ;(

Can I ask what your budget for this project is? Erika Winters' Mariana bezel is probably my all-time favourite bezel :love: what would you think of something like a thin strip of melee encircling the exterior of the octagon? Definitely a modern take, which could be interesting with the old cut center... or could clash... (I'm helpful, aren't I?)
https://erikawinters.com/engagement-rings-mariana_bezel/

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No useful halo suggestions but just had to say what an incredibly beautiful stone you’ve got and I’m sorry for your lost pear.
What are the stats on this glorious OEC?

Actually - I did have some halo suggestions but they’re a little left of centre- first two are CVB partial halo/collars, both PSers I think but can’t remeber who sorry. And the last is wide prongs that form a sort of frame-halo. You could also do a target halo with French cut sapphires, rubies or emeralds if you wanted some colour?
526383B5-8947-4848-9ACC-CFF8491DBD6D.jpeg 6E624ACA-8465-434A-A0CB-92DE17B43B9C.jpeg 75EA6995-B693-4715-B81C-3E8B9C85D942.jpeg

Last edited:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Goodness, yes, you're one of the few PSers who have worked with her!! And I'm a cad for not remembering that the five-stone beauty I was thinking of was yours ;(

Can I ask what your budget for this project is? Erika Winters' Mariana bezel is probably my all-time favourite bezel :love: what would you think of something like a thin strip of melee encircling the exterior of the octagon? Definitely a modern take, which could be interesting with the old cut center... or could clash... (I'm helpful, aren't I?)
https://erikawinters.com/engagement-rings-mariana_bezel/

Not at all! I seldom remember who has what ring - just which ones make me absolutely drool. lol

I am hoping to keep the setting to about 4k. There’s some wriggle room there and I certainly wouldn’t mind coming in well under that figure.

A modified Mariana as you described would be gorgeous! I also love the Thea setting... the hints of melee would also keep the center stone as the main focus. What do you think? Too much metal?

https://erikawinters.com/engagement-rings-thea_halo/

431B2C6E-D5BB-4F30-A979-3933D9D97B1A.jpeg EEB7CCDB-E0E1-4671-BFFE-91F02FB27EB2.jpeg

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No useful halo suggestions but just had to say what an incredibly beautiful stone you’ve got and I’m sorry for your lost pear.
What are the stats on this glorious OEC?

Actually - I did have some halo suggestions but they’re a little left of centre- first two are CVB partial halo/collars, both PSers I think but can’t remeber who sorry. And the last is wide prongs that form a sort of frame-halo. You could also do a target halo with French cut sapphires, rubies or emeralds if you wanted some colour?
526383B5-8947-4848-9ACC-CFF8491DBD6D.jpeg 6E624ACA-8465-434A-A0CB-92DE17B43B9C.jpeg 75EA6995-B693-4715-B81C-3E8B9C85D942.jpeg

Thanks! I feel horrible about my pear... had taken it on a trip and it vanished sometime between the hotel and getting home. It leaves me a bit paranoid, tbh, because I still don’t know exactly what happened to it.

The OEC is a 2.01ct N/VS1. When Erica had suggested she had a stone with KILLER facets, I couldn’t resist. lol It was a center to a sizable cluster ring and while I thought it was pretty, it just wasn’t practical for me as a daily wear. She was pretty certain it was over 8mm and offered to send it AGS. Sure enough, it came back as she predicted.

Love the suggestions you made - especially the first one! The hint of a slight halo would be great. I don’t recall seeing that before... it’s going into the inspiration folder!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Quick update.... I received the OEC in its temp Stuller setting. Can I just say, this is one sexy OEC?! Erica totally nailed it when she called it a killer stone. When she told me it looked like an H/I to her when set, I thought she was just being kind. It’s an N, after all. However, I’d have to agree, it’s quite white in its appearance.

Here are Erica’s glamour photos
B154F44F-2F09-4D38-8E3B-2E57DDF13B3E.jpeg A068185B-ED92-4746-BAB8-7D4B6172C64F.jpeg 917368E2-CA82-40AA-9406-DBC36E5C9158.jpeg 7081F63E-18C2-4791-9F65-AEF6E8217082.jpeg 235F466A-2709-4DB5-B167-39745554045D.jpeg

And mine

4CBAB810-7902-4172-8101-B9A372402775.jpeg 6F2265DA-53AC-460F-AC72-5FC466533936.jpeg DB825D38-0924-400D-A57A-5F1FB20E0D39.jpeg 4251C441-BE2B-439D-8102-56804DACE155.jpeg

I’m still working out how to set it. Interestingly, Erica just returned from the NYC antique show and picked up a fantastic cape OEC set in a fantastic halo. :love: I love the buckle design on the shank. Decisions... decisions...

2265285B-F9C0-470A-B30B-0BB64766D0F2.jpeg

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
My favorite octagonal setting is CVB's casablanca. Especially with an OEC center!

IMG_9463.jpg

Without doubt, the Casablanca is my all-time favorite halo, too. I screwed up by purchasing a Casablanca setting and diamond that were too big for my comfort and taste. Have always loved the Casablanca setting. It gets my vote! It's funky, though and not for everyone...not for traditionalists, I'd say.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually quite like the stuller setting but if you want to halo if I'm quite partial to the Tiffany soleste.

My favorite was the two tone version with a rose gold inner halo and a white gold outer. Think that would look amazing with the OEC if DK or someone could make it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results