shape
carat
color
clarity

1.84 U-V, light brown OEC... need ideas for setting!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like a bezel set (solitaire or with side stones) with milgrain detailing. Classic, vintage yet simple.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just out of curiosity - this stone is SO spectacular - have you thought about just doing a solitaire? I know you already have one, but....

Plat head and yellow gold shank, maybe, with engraving to set it apart perhaps? Just one more idea to put into the ideas pot. :)

What size is your ering, @msop04 ? Could your new ring be more of a travel/casual ring for those days when you don't want to pull out the big guns?

Great mockup!

Not sure if I made sense with my previous post. I know your e-ring is large and gorgeous. I wondered if you'd like to wear your NEW stone as a back up ring if you don't want to wear your best ring sometimes?

Anyway, just a thought and just wanted to throw it out there.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering if you are really set on round side stones. You mentioned you already have setting with three of a kind, maybe mixing in some step-cut (bullets) would be a nice way to add some distiction to this over your other rings.

I seriously dislike the hearts shown in this setting and the side stone are too big, but I liked the mix of metals and this was the ring that first came to mind when you mentioned your stone.

upload_2017-9-19_20-38-28.jpeg
upload_2017-9-19_20-38-41.jpeg

http://romanovrussia.com/antique/2-50-ct-fancy-color-diamond-three-stone-engagement-ring/

I prefer the smaller side stone, as you mocked up, like this. Center is 7.6-7.4x4.45, sides are .3 tcw.

upload_2017-9-19_20-40-58.jpeg

I would just work with your designer to keep the stones as low as possible. TGP's Resilient is a 5-stone, but the center stone is kept very low...so much so the culet rests in a hole in the shank.
https://thegemstoneproject.com/tag/resilient/

Hey @rockysalamander! Yes, I'm pretty set on round sides. The three stone I have now is an elongated cushion with round sides in a bezel, so three rounds would be a bit different I think.

I wanted to point out the three stone below is 7.5x7 (horizontal), and 3.5 with bezels... so 13.0+bezels, and there is not a ton of room left over... New ring would be 7.7+(3.5 to 4.5) x2, so we're looking at 14.7-16.7 plus a little room for prongs/other... I doubt I could go much larger than 18 mm.

7.5 x 7 mm Grey Spinel_hand_2.jpg

I really like the three stone with the gold... I would do rounds, but with a single prong on the ends and/or angling them differently, it makes them look a bit "less round" IMO. Here is a mockup of it with my OEC:
3 Stone_A3.jpg

I also really like the halo you posted (thanks for finding one without the "eye"). ;-) My only reservation (besides it being a little "fancy" for everyday) is that my stone is already 7.7 mm, so this would get quite large on my 4.75 finger... gosh, it's so pretty though!!
7.7 U-V OEC_princess halo.jpg

...and 7.7 with 4.5 sides:
7.7 OEC with 4.5 rounds.JPG

Sorry to be so obnoxious with all the photoshopping, but it helps me visualize much better!

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So nice! Personally, I would set it with really "white" diamonds in a halo to really show of the colour.

I'm not ruling out a halo just yet! I agree that it needs a lot of "really white" next to it so the contrast will be apparent. :)

Here are some halos/bezels I've done just for fun:
7.7 OEC three HALO collage.JPEG.JPG
Damn, I wish I had more finger for these!! (esp the top and bottom L styles!) ...then again, I didn't want this ring to be larger than my ering. UGH! #iminsettinghell

...and the non-halos:
7.7 OEC three stone collage.JPEG.JPG
Of these, I'm loving the bottom two.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like a bezel set (solitaire or with side stones) with milgrain detailing. Classic, vintage yet simple.

This is definitely a style I'm considering! :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say a Halo of slightly larger white diamonds, with two bigger diamonds left and right , similar to my mom's emerald ring

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about something this this? Yellow gold, not rose. This is very right hand/daily to me. It needs refinement, but has the bones of a good idea.

upload_2017-9-20_13-9-15.png

Maybe with a little more Maevona-like refinement.
images

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say a Halo of slightly larger white diamonds, with two bigger diamonds left and right , similar to my mom's emerald ring

I love your mom's ring! ...but I don't think all that will that fit on my finger. :(

ETA: Here is a photo of how the 7.7 would be on my finger (it may be just a bit wider though) with bezeled 3.5's... I don't know how I'd get a halo to fit.
7.7 OEC with 3.5 sides_closeup - bezeled.jpg.JPEG.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about something this this? Yellow gold, not rose. This is very right hand/daily to me. It needs refinement, but has the bones of a good idea.

upload_2017-9-20_13-9-15.png

Maybe with a little more Maevona-like refinement.
images

Maevona is out (not me at all), but I do like the other setting... would you do YG on all of it or break it up?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maevona is out (not me at all), but I do like the other setting... would you do YG on all of it or break it up?
I'd do the shank in YG, the center bezel YG and the little diamond bezels and outer marquise shape in platinum (or WG). More the colors of the left Maevona.

On the YG/RG, maybe the answer is peach gold. Its an alloy in color between rose and yellow. Often used in northern europe and resembles aged rose gold (not the very pink modern rose).

Curved band below is peach gold, the wide band is rose gold

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do the shank in YG, the center bezel YG and the little diamond bezels and outer marquise shape in platinum (or WG). More the colors of the left Maevona.

On the YG/RG, maybe the answer is peach gold. Its an alloy in color between rose and yellow. Often used in northern europe and resembles aged rose gold (not the very pink modern rose).

Curved band below is peach gold, the wide band is rose gold

Yes! I've thought about peach gold! I can't think of the vendor, but I follow a jeweler on IG who uses this... I think they call it "champagne gold" or something like that -- very pretty! Thanks for the suggestion, @rockysalamander!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't find the vendor I follow who uses champagne gold, but I did find a great photo for color comparison from another vendor...

The champagne gold is :love::love::love:!!! It's EXACTLY what I'm looking for!
IMG_3997.jpg

Does anyone know who uses this alloy or what it's made of??

Here's a photo of the watch I wear that I'd be "matching"... I'm left handed, so I wear my watch on my right hand.:))
IMG_3995.JPG

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like either champagne or peach gold would work... although I like the champagne a little more. 1505934058748.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like either champagne or peach gold would work... although I like the champagne a little more. 1505934058748.jpg
From my days working at my grandmother's bench, champagne and peach would just be yellow gold alloy + copper (+ silver + zinc sometimes). I'm pretty sure that DK and any of the typical PS vendors that cast (not sure about hand-formed) should have access to a champgne or peach blend. TGP has green gold, so she must have contacts with a casting house that can make these more atypical mixes.

Hoover and Strong used to have propriety "peach" color that I think is now called Royal. But, I'd imagine any good casting house has their own formula.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From my days working at my grandmother's bench, champagne and peach would just be yellow gold alloy + copper (+ silver + zinc sometimes). I'm pretty sure that DK and any of the typical PS vendors that cast (not sure about hand-formed) should have access to a champgne or peach blend. TGP has green gold, so she must have contacts with a casting house that can make these more atypical mixes.

Hoover and Strong used to have propriety "peach" color that I think is now called Royal. But, I'd imagine any good casting house has their own formula.

Thank you!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coming late to the party, but @msop04 that diamond is gorgeous, I am so happy you got it and your final setting choice is sooo beautiful! I can't wait to see this come to fruition! :love:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coming late to the party, but @msop04 that diamond is gorgeous, I am so happy you got it and your final setting choice is sooo beautiful! I can't wait to see this come to fruition! :love:

Thank you! I'm emailing DK tomorrow!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent choice! I can't wait to see it!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting is fantastic!! will you cup it in YG to play up the colour (does that work btw?)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty choice - hats off to Niel for finding it!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting is fantastic!! will you cup it in YG to play up the colour (does that work btw?)

I won't be cupping it, but it can intensify a lighter color, making it appear more saturated. I want to keep the color as is. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results