shape
carat
color
clarity

1.84 U-V, light brown OEC... need ideas for setting!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently purchased a lovely 7.7 mm light brown OEC, and I'm going CRAZY trying to figure out how to set it... nice problem to have, I know. ;-)

So here's the deal...
- must be a ring that I feel like I can wear almost daily (classic in style)
- NO rose gold (I wear YG most days - RG doesn't look good on me)
- prefer a three stone with rounds (3.5-4 mm white sides)
- would like to accentuate the color of the OEC in contrast with white stones
- not opposed to bezels, although I have a bezeled cushion three stone with 3.5 mm round sides, and I'd rather have a little different look...
- must be relatively low profile (OEC depth is 5 mm)
- want to be able to wear with yellow OR white metal jewelry
- prongs/bezel around U-V center must be YG
- 14K YG looks better with the color of the OEC in my opinion, but I might be swayed by some good photoshopping showing 18K

I know that's a tall order (maybe impossible), but I appreciate any and all ideas, photos, ect...
I'm in no hurry to set it -- just have to be confident that it's a style that I'll wear daily.

Thanks ya'll!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Settings I've considered... *sigh* I'm all over the place -- setting are hard!

(ignore the bad photoshop efforts on some of them...)
3 Stone_B1.jpg 3 stone bezel.jpg

(photoshopped in all YG)
7.7 OEC three stone in YG.jpg.JPEG
(photoshopped over my current three stone with 3.5 mm sides)
7.7 OEC with 3.5 sides_closeup - bezeled.jpg.JPEG.jpg

VC Wire Shank.jpg Halo_Tuscany Ring.jpg Halo for OEC.jpg Joseph Schubach 3-stone collage.jpg 3 Stone_A1.jpg Octagonal- 3-stone-bezel-2.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well you've got my current absolute favourite setting in the list (the set of 4 pics, third to last with the much smaller sidestones) so I vote for that - it's also a completely different look to the ones you have already.
I'd set it in platinum head 8 claw prongs with white little OEC rounds as the side stones and a YG shank - possibly knife edge and milgrain OR triwire.
I am super jealous - I ogled that stone so often and tried to convince DH that I was due an upgrade early (even tho we've agreed no upgrades til we've done a bunch of house stuff and travelling). I am so glad it's gone to a PSer!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop when you bou.ght this beautiful stone, were you thinking of another engagement ring or more a RHR ring? Foxinsox's setting (3rd from bottom is awesome awesome awesome).. I would do it in 14K unplated white gold.. I love love love etc your jewels and jewelry

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well you've got my current absolute favourite setting in the list (the set of 4 pics, third to last with the much smaller sidestones) so I vote for that - it's also a completely different look to the ones you have already.
I'd set it in platinum head 8 claw prongs with white little OEC rounds as the side stones and a YG shank - possibly knife edge and milgrain OR triwire.
I am super jealous - I ogled that stone so often and tried to convince DH that I was due an upgrade early (even tho we've agreed no upgrades til we've done a bunch of house stuff and travelling). I am so glad it's gone to a PSer!

Thanks for the nice compliment, @foxinsox! I adore that Schubach setting as well (who doesn't, right??)...

My only worry is that the white metal prongs on the OEC, along with the very small sides won't provide enough contrast to accentuate the color of the center. ...but I could be wrong -- anyone wanna photoshop that bad boy?? ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop when you bou.ght this beautiful stone, were you thinking of another engagement ring or more a RHR ring? Foxinsox's setting (3rd from bottom is awesome awesome awesome).. I would do it in 14K unplated white gold.. I love love love etc your jewels and jewelry

I was thinking RHR... and that is another consideration, as the Schubach ring looks every "engagement-y" -- and my ering is a round soli... :: sigh ::

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add that I'm really bad about rushing to set a stone, then realizing that it's just not for everyday wear (not "neutral" enough, too fancy-shmancy, set too high, etc...)

The only RHR I've actually stuck with is the bezeled 3 stone cushion spinel...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cluster of 4 photos: #1 & #2. Those are my faves out of those options...

Okay, so here are #1 and the Schubach with the OEC... thoughts?? (I'm kinda liking the traditional three stone!) Maybe go with an "in between" sized stone for the sides??

What do ya'll think about the metal color though?? Would you do YG on the shank only, on shank and OEC prongs, all over, or go white metal on all?

7.7 U-V OEC_3stone_A.jpg.JPEG 7.7 U-V OEC_in Shubach.jpg.JPEG

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That last picture you've mocked up :love: That is utter perfection IMO.
Looking at that, I'd be tempted to do YG prongs/basket for the centre stone and keep the white side stones in WG/platinum. That would play up the colour wouldn't it?
I'm no use otherwise tho - I'm too in love with that setting to be able to consider alternatives sorry :lol-2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That last picture you've mocked up :love: That is utter perfection IMO.
Looking at that, I'd be tempted to do YG prongs/basket for the centre stone and keep the white side stones in WG/platinum. That would play up the colour wouldn't it?
I'm no use otherwise tho - I'm too in love with that setting to be able to consider alternatives sorry :lol-2:
Agree.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi msop
Congratulations! Looks like a lovely stone!!
I'm sorry if this is a bad question, or if it's been discussed already....but...
I get that some skin and gold colors don't go together...but if you only did the head/prongs in a rosy gold- most of the ring would be white- you would not notice the gold color except the side view.
I do see some potential for a hint of rosiness if you set that stone in pink.
No guarantee it will pick up pink- but it has a chance. I've seen it happen.
Anyway, just a suggestion- whatever you do I'm sure it's going to look great

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering if you are really set on round side stones. You mentioned you already have setting with three of a kind, maybe mixing in some step-cut (bullets) would be a nice way to add some distiction to this over your other rings.

I seriously dislike the hearts shown in this setting and the side stone are too big, but I liked the mix of metals and this was the ring that first came to mind when you mentioned your stone.

upload_2017-9-19_20-38-28.jpeg
upload_2017-9-19_20-38-41.jpeg

http://romanovrussia.com/antique/2-50-ct-fancy-color-diamond-three-stone-engagement-ring/

I prefer the smaller side stone, as you mocked up, like this. Center is 7.6-7.4x4.45, sides are .3 tcw.

upload_2017-9-19_20-40-58.jpeg

I would just work with your designer to keep the stones as low as possible. TGP's Resilient is a 5-stone, but the center stone is kept very low...so much so the culet rests in a hole in the shank.
https://thegemstoneproject.com/tag/resilient/

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the three stone ring that you mocked up above but it does remind me of an engagement ring - not sure if you mind that or not.

Maybe larger side stones like this so that it would look more like a RHR?
3-stone_a1-jpg.594536

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the marquise shaped center, but to avoid the dreaded eye-ball effect, I thought this ring's added elements in the center really take away any eye-ball look. I love that this is unique and vintage.

To me...this is 100% right hand wearable...ever more so that a standard 3-stone. I would find my 3-stone---even bezel set uncomfortable on my dominant hand.

http://romanovrussia.com/antique/antique-edwardian-era-old-european-diamond-engagement-ring/
upload_2017-9-19_20-47-24.jpeg
upload_2017-9-19_20-49-35.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree with rockdiamond on this - there is DEFINITELY a hint of pink in this stone.

From my perspective, it seems to me that the white side stones remove much of the warmth in your gorgeous new stone. So white side stones (which I *thought* I'd like till I saw the photo shop version) would now be my last choice.

I'd be looking at a pink halo - but pink diamonds, rather than pink metal. I love pink diamonds with yellow metal, so, since you want to be able to wear it with both colored metals, I'd set the head in rhodium plated white gold, and the shank in yellow gold. Alternately, a yellow gold halo using something orange would look awesome as well - and that could be done with a white gold shank. I think it would remind you of fall. :)

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_1625.JPG Diamonds
DSC05668__--__xx.jpg

I like the look of this one with milgrain halo around the side stones. I think it would really make your center pop. Also the idea pp had of pink side stones, kind of like this IMG_1625.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Shubach setting proportions for an engagement ring, but I don't really like it for a right hand ring. I think you need larger sides if you do a three stone. But I am honestly going to say that I think the diamond will look it's best in a halo (or maybe bezel, but I don't love it in a yg bezel and think rg, which I know you don't want, would look better). This stone kind of needs a frame around it, I think.

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Msop04, how about this. The brown surrounded by white stone halo, the 2 white sides stones surrounded by similar brown colored halo as ur center but in yellow gold not the black rhodium like in the picture?

Attachments

• IMG_5098.JPG
    IMG_5098.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5100.JPG
    IMG_5100.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 17

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
IMG_5100.JPG here's another idea

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, y'all are great!! :dance: I've been looking at Settings for days, and I hadn't seen some of the amazing rings that have been posted here!

I'm going to TRY to post a video to show you a better representation of the color of the stone… right now, it's giving me an error. :rolleyes: Yes, it does have a little bit of pink in certain lighting, but it is mostly light brown and yellow brown.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A7DAA71F-2559-4912-9303-69662414D9A7.jpg
I tried to take some stills from the video until I can figure out a way to post it... so they aren't great. However, I hope it gives a better idea of the color.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi msop
Congratulations! Looks like a lovely stone!!
I'm sorry if this is a bad question, or if it's been discussed already....but...
I get that some skin and gold colors don't go together...but if you only did the head/prongs in a rosy gold- most of the ring would be white- you would not notice the gold color except the side view.
I do see some potential for a hint of rosiness if you set that stone in pink.
No guarantee it will pick up pink- but it has a chance. I've seen it happen.
Anyway, just a suggestion- whatever you do I'm sure it's going to look great

Thanks for the comment, @Rockdiamond! I agree that rose gold would look good with the stone in certain lighting (like direct sunlight or outside under a shady tree), but the stone is definitely light brown with mostly yellow/gold undertones in most lighting. I'm more concerned with me actually wearing the ring. I had a beautiful honey zircon set in 14K RG and unplated WG... it looked great, but since it really didn't go with my yellow gold, I found myself not really wearing it much. Granted, it was a much larger stone that set up higher, but...

I'm not taking RG totally off the table, but it would need to be an alloy that showed more "champagne" than pink. :) I just posted a photo that shows the IRL color a little better... hope that helps!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Shubach setting proportions for an engagement ring, but I don't really like it for a right hand ring. I think you need larger sides if you do a three stone. But I am honestly going to say that I think the diamond will look it's best in a halo (or maybe bezel, but I don't love it in a yg bezel and think rg, which I know you don't want, would look better). This stone kind of needs a frame around it, I think.

I agree with this. I would like to see it in a halo, or on a vintage/art deco style setting with milgrain .
But you, msop, have recently changed your ER from a halo to a solitaire.
I guess your preference nowadays is something simpler and streamlined like the three stone settings you have posted.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with this. I would like to see it in a halo, or on a vintage/art deco style setting with milgrain .
But you, msop, have recently changed your ER from a halo to a solitaire.
I guess your preference nowadays is something simpler and streamlined like the three stone settings you have posted

Yes, this is exactly right -- although I adore many styles, I've found that I just don't wear rings that are very ornate/"fancy", or extreme in one style or another (vintage, ultra modern, etc) all that much. I'm more likely to wear them if they are very classic, somewhat "neutral" in color, and can be worn with anything from an LBD to shorts and a tshirt. ;-)

ETA: I'm not totally against a halo of sorts, but it would have to be VERY streamlined... :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, this is exactly right -- although I adore many styles, I've found that I just don't wear rings that are very ornate/"fancy", or extreme in one style or another (vintage, ultra modern, etc) all that much. I'm more likely to wear them if they are very classic, somewhat "neutral" in color, and can be worn with anything from an LBD to shorts and a tshirt. ;-)

ETA: I'm not totally against a halo of sorts, but it would have to be VERY streamlined... :)

Just out of curiosity - this stone is SO spectacular - have you thought about just doing a solitaire? I know you already have one, but....

Plat head and yellow gold shank, maybe, with engraving to set it apart perhaps? Just one more idea to put into the ideas pot. :)

What size is your ering, @msop04 ? Could your new ring be more of a travel/casual ring for those days when you don't want to pull out the big guns?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just out of curiosity - this stone is SO spectacular - have you thought about just doing a solitaire? I know you already have one, but....

Plat head and yellow gold shank, maybe, with engraving to set it apart perhaps? Just one more idea to put into the ideas pot. :)

What size is your ering, @msop04 ? Could your new ring be more of a travel/casual ring for those days when you don't want to pull out the big guns?

This cracked me up!!
...my ering is 9.8 mm. I don't see myself wearing it as a "backup" or travel ring, as I wear my ering or nothing at all (I'm a rebel like that - HA!) -- but I did do a mockup of it with baguettes just for fun! ;-)
7.7 U-V OEC_baguettes.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results