shape
carat
color
clarity

What am I missing with this pear? Graded incorrectly?

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Sorry to start another thread. I am still looking for a modest, warmer pear and have selected a couple to get ASET images. This pear looks good in terms a crisp facets and the 'blinking' lights that tyty indicated for me to look at. However, am I missing something with the VS1 clarity grade? Seems like that is an obvious black inclusion??? Feather?

Also, aside from clarity is it a pass based solely on the good/good for polish and sym?

Thanks!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.42-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-764864

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Stive85|1462973762|4030201 said:
Hi everyone,

Sorry to start another thread. I am still looking for a modest, warmer pear and have selected a couple to get ASET images. This pear looks good in terms a crisp facets and the 'blinking' lights that tyty indicated for me to look at. However, am I missing something with the VS1 clarity grade? Seems like that is an obvious black inclusion??? Feather?

Also, aside from clarity is it a pass based solely on the good/good for polish and sym?

Thanks!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.42-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-764864

Hey mate - that's the laser inscription on the girdle reflecting in the stone ;-)

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
ADN|1462975432|4030207 said:
Stive85|1462973762|4030201 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hey mate - that's the laser inscription on the girdle reflecting in the stone ;-)

Haha, no kidding. So that will be visable as a man made inclusion? Or is it just a fluke with how the diamond was shot?

What about the stone? Look ok?

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Now that I look more closely, I can make out that is numbers etc. haha.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Any opinions on the actual stone?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the cut on that pear at all. It goes dead (mushy) all around. The faceting isn't good. ::)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I didn't see anything on JA that looked good... Pears are tough. :|

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1462993858|4030356 said:
Unfortunately, I didn't see anything on JA that looked good... Pears are tough. :|

Bummer... JA is just so easy to shop with due to the images.

Thanks for the input though!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1462994539|4030360 said:
msop04|1462993858|4030356 said:

Bummer... JA is just so easy to shop with due to the images.

Thanks for the input though!

Yeah... if you don't have a deadline to meet, per se, I would just keep looking. You could also have GOG or another vendor source a pear with the specs you'd like. Also, check out Enchanted Diamonds. They do images and videos for some of their stones -- sometimes even ASET/others...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your specs and budget, BTW? 8)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
I guess I'd be around 1000 CAD, so roughly 750 USD. I'd go higher if something was really worth it, but I think that's a good range. Like I mentioned, she doesn't want anything more than modest, so I figure keep it simple.

With a stone this small I figure I'll just ask for your guys help going off the images available and pick the best one with the info we have. I really appreciate all the help.

Is .40 too small? Like I said we looked at different ones at a store here and she liked a couple in the .4-.5 range. She'd absolutely love anything I get her, so having your help just makes it easier to find a more 'best bang for your buck' diamond. We are just married so having time to upgrade over the years makes it easier.

Thanks again for the help.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1463016462|4030504 said:

Thanks Gypsy! So out of the bunch you posted, would the h colour, the f/si2 and the i1 be a good three to consider? Any have the edge (if eye clean?) or in what order? The g looks great, but eye cleanliness is likely negative just by looking?

Considering I feel comfortable shopping for rounds with a cert and my own eyes, pears are a different ballgame. Thanks!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1463050458|4030640 said:
Gypsy|1463016462|4030504 said:

Thanks Gypsy! So out of the bunch you posted, would the h colour, the f/si2 and the i1 be a good three to consider? Any have the edge (if eye clean?) or in what order? The g looks great, but eye cleanliness is likely negative just by looking?

Considering I feel comfortable shopping for rounds with a cert and my own eyes, pears are a different ballgame. Thanks!

I like the J/VS1 of those... the shape is really nice.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the J, VS1. I've slept on it though and decided that if I can save the $300 with the F, si2 that I may go with that and put the rest of the money into a setting. Does it look like and nice one? Compared to the H? It's a gift as a wedding/push present that she wont be expecting.I get that you get what your pay for (especially in diamonds), but at this stage I figure we could put the other funds towards a nice night out or something else she'd enjoy.

The H colour Gypsy posted or the F?

Also, at first I was thinking a classic three prong setting in white gold (10k or 14k?). However, would the size of this stone look better in a bezel setting? Would it hinder the brightness of it at all? Thanks again everyone!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1463067892|4030735 said:
I agree with the J, VS1. I've slept on it though and decided that if I can save the $300 with the F, si2 that I may go with that and put the rest of the money into a setting. Does it look like and nice one? Compared to the H? It's a gift as a wedding/push present that she wont be expecting.I get that you get what your pay for (especially in diamonds), but at this stage I figure we could put the other funds towards a nice night out or something else she'd enjoy.

Also, at first I was thinking a classic three prong setting in white gold (10k or 14k?). However, would the size of this stone look better in a bezel setting? Would it hinder the brightness of it at all? Thanks again everyone!

Since I didn't really like those (too skinny), just pick which one you liked better. Regarding the setting, I wouldn't get a three prong. It's juts not secure. A bezel setting would add size, emphasize the shape (or improve it, since they're skinny), and it would be very secure.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1463068175|4030738 said:
Stive85|1463067892|4030735 said:

Since I didn't really like those (too skinny), just pick which one you liked better. Regarding the setting, I wouldn't get a three prong. It's juts not secure. A bezel setting would add size, emphasize the shape (or improve it, since they're skinny), and it would be very secure.

Would you lean towards one or the other in terms of what would perform better?

Also, the H appears to be a chubbier diamond...with a ratio of 1.40...still too skinny for your preference?

These are the two I would be considering. Too be honest, I didn't think either was that skinny, but again with pears I don't know a lot and was going off of the L/W ratio.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.43-carat-f-color-si2-clarity-sku-830775

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.41-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-813161

For the bezel, just a simple bezel, or should I be talking to my jeweler about something more specific? I don't know how they differ. 14K white gold work?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1463069298|4030746 said:
Would you lean towards one or the other in terms of what would perform better?

Also, the H appears to be a chubbier diamond...with a ratio of 1.40...still too skinny for your preference?

These are the two I would be considering. Too be honest, I didn't think either was that skinny, but again with pears I don't know a lot and was going off of the L/W ratio.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.43-carat-f-color-si2-clarity-sku-830775

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.41-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-813161

For the bezel, just a simple bezel, or should I be talking to my jeweler about something more specific? I don't know how they differ. 14K white gold work?

I'm sorry... somehow I missed the H/SI1. I like the shape of it very much. At 20X, I like the faceting a little better on the F/SI2, BUT after minimizing both of the stones to a more reasonable size for viewing and IRl, the shape of the H/SI1 would win it for me, hands down. I think the faceting will look really nice IRL.

As far as the bezel, it's just preference. I'd want a very fine milgrain on the bezel. Caysie of CVB does EXCELLENT milgrain work. DK also does really nice milgrain for the price. It really depends on what look you're going for here. Can you post photos of some bezeled rings you like? I will look as well...

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
I'm going with as simple and classic/elegant as possible. She likes the classic looks. For example her ER is a 1.07 h colour rb solitaire in 6 prong white gold setting. As far as different bezels I'm totally lost because I always thought prongs, but bezels do make sense for a stone this size. My concern is do they block light return?

For style, would these be a classic pear pendant in a bezel look?

_3561.jpeg

_3562.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1463071719|4030762 said:
I'm going with as simple and classic/elegant as possible. She likes the classic looks. For example her ER is a 1.07 h colour rb solitaire in 6 prong white gold setting. As far as different bezels I'm totally lost because I always thought prongs, but bezels do make sense for a stone this size. My concern is do they block light return?

I very much like the bottom (2nd) setting. It's lovely. I don't like the first at all... very dated, IMO.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1463071828|4030763 said:
Stive85|1463071719|4030762 said:

I very much like the bottom (2nd) setting. It's lovely. I don't like the first at all... very dated, IMO.

Would it affect light return? SInce it covers more of the diamond? Should be a pretty simple setting. I would have to have it set by a jeweler around here (there are a few good ones). Just since diamond will be shipped to Canada and avoid duty if loose, it's iffy once it's set.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1463073406|4030774 said:
Would it affect light return? SInce it covers more of the diamond? Should be a pretty simple setting. I would have to have it set by a jeweler around here (there are a few good ones). Just since diamond will be shipped to Canada and avoid duty if loose, it's iffy once it's set.

From my understanding, the bezel shouldn't affect light return, but I don't feel confident in saying yes or no. Maybe one of the veterans will chime in. Tons of people bezel pears and other fancy shapes, so I really feel like it would be fine. :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1463073406|4030774 said:

I will be a very small lip over the girdle, so it's not like it'll be covering a lot of area. I would make sure my jeweler's bench was good and could execute a very nice, fine bezel (not too thick over the girdle).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking... you could always do a bezel with a more open basket! Best of both worlds!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize this is for a ring (and has a thicker bezel than I'd like), but it could be converted to a pendant... It would allow the light to pass through, and also offer easy cleaning.

27c9630f9f7933b84099394a61d7768f.jpg

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Really appreciate all your help. I like the idea of an open basket pendant.

There are a few jewellers here who I would check out for setting it. Just as a ball park, how much should I budget for that type of bezel setting with chain in usd? Just want a ballpark before I go price it out. Thanks!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stive85|1463075739|4030793 said:
Really appreciate all your help. I like the idea of an open basket pendant.

There are a few jewellers here who I would check out for setting it. Just as a ball park, how much should I budget for that type of bezel setting with chain in usd? Just want a ballpark before I go price it out. Thanks!

I have absolutely no idea... it couldn't be THAT much, but I'm not sure what your budget is or what metal you'd like. I'm guessing it couldn't be more than $600 in 14K WG, but that is a total guess... Do you have a chain for it, or would you be purchasing that as well? I'd have them set it such that it could move (i.e. not fixed on the chain). That is how I had mine done, and I love it!

Mine isn't open basket, and it's sort of a "double bezel" if you will, but you get the drift... :)) pendant_1.png img_1509.jpg pendant_neck.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I think I paid around $350 for mine (bezel pendant + chain) in 14K WG... but that was about 8 years ago, and it was a stock setting for a round, so no customization involved.

Edited: $350, not $300

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Well I purchased that h colour stone. Hopefully it's a nice one. I know gypsy's reputation around here so I feel more confident than if I chose myself. I hope I didn't screw it up deciding between the chubbier pear over the bigger facing one. Now onto the setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results