shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel settings and light performance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Vitamin K

Rough_Rock
I am mounting and AGS0 1.13 VS2 H in a custom bezel setting my girfriend-not yet fiance-has talked about. Are there any concerns with a bezel set ring that will affect performance, like the girdle being enclosed and so on.. Will it have as much fire as say a normal cathedral setting? Is there anything I should look out for or try to steer clear of in the design?

SpeedracerII

Rough_Rock
The light that makes a diamond sparkle is not coming up through the girdle or pavilion, it is reflections of light going into the crown and coming back out of the crown. A bezel set should not have an effect on the sparkle of a well cut RB diamond. But don't believe me, do your own experiment. Borrow a solitaire and wrap a piece of masking tape around the girdle to block the light, notice any difference in sparkle? You shouldn't (provided you are not blocking the light coming into the crown in the process. The nature of a bezel set might cover a fraction more of the crown of the stone than prongs would, but this would not noticeably impact performance.

If you put a piece of masking tape on the side of your bathroom mirror, does your refection get darker?

I'm getting my FI's e-ring in a semi-bezel set and if I thought it would impact the sparkle I wouldn't do it.

Now ask this question at a B&M and no telling what answer you will get. I've been told by more than a few that a bezel will effect the diamond.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
If it''s a well cut stone, it will be fine. I originally had a small bezel and boy did it sparkle.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bezel will not affect the diamond''s light performance. In fact, it may make the diamond look larger (which is always a good thing), hence many ladies like to bezel set their diamond pendants and earrings.

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
I have a full bezel around my stone and I don''t think the bezel affects it''s performance and it''s a "k" color.

please post pics when you get the ring
emsmile.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Do a search. I think there''s a thread called ''the optics of bezel settings'' or something similar. It has been discussed lots.

I love bezels. Please show when it''s finished!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results