shape
carat
color
clarity

Do your bezel-set e-rings sparkle enough?

kat08

Rough_Rock
This is my first post, but I've been reading through various threads and admiring all the many beauties here! My husband and I are coming up on our 10-year anniversary, and I'm getting a new e-ring setting and diamond! :appl:

I love the look of bezel-set diamonds. There's something so pretty about the outlined diamond with a halo, and the ring I've chosen is a bezel-set in 18k yellow gold. I've read so much conflicting information about bezel settings. Some say you lose a lot of sparkle, others say you don't if the cut is good. From what I understand, if the diamond is cut well, you lose a little sparkle (but there's still sparkle). The diamond I've chosen is .74 carat with a "super ideal" cut, so I'm hoping for sparkle. But part of me is still worried it won't sparkle enough. I looked at rings in a jewelry store, and the bezel I looked at was nice and sparkly, although my husband claimed he could tell a difference in sparkle with the non-bezel set halo. If my ring is as sparkly as the local store (I'm purchasing from an online store), I'll be happy. My main worry is that a bezel set diamond may not be very sparkly in regular lighting?

I'm okay if my bezel ring isn't quite as sparkly as a non-bezel, as long as there's still plenty of good sparkle (the big question). I figure most of the time I'm not going to be sitting around comparing sparkles with other rings, but just enjoying my own ring.

For those of you with bezel-set diamonds, do you feel like your diamond is sparkly? Are you happy with it?

I've attached a picture of the ring I'm planning to get.

BE1RBH1_yellow_round_top_lg_.jpg

BE1RBH1_yellow_side_.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have the halo, you'll have plenty of bling effect! But, that said, I do not think my bezel pendant has as much sparkle as the pendant that I had set into a four-prong setting because there the girdle is covered and so from certain angles, there isn't any light return so you miss a bit of that. My eng diamond is prong set and when I clean it and turn it to the side, I get some flashes of color from the girdle. I wouldn't want to cover that up.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I've never heard anyone complain about reduced light return with a bezel set, especially going with an ideal cut stone. I think with the melee in the halo that your you going to get a super blingy effect! I love love love your setting too btw! :love: :love:

kat08

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info, ladies! I think I'm just going to trust that it will have the sparkle I want. And Christina, I'm so excited to see my ring in real life! I've been longing for a halo setting for quite a while now.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have an ideal round, yes. If you don't prong set, IMO.

kat08

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1334885552|3175757 said:

Yes, it's an ideal round cut diamond. It's so hard to buy rings without seeing them in real life! I did check out a similar style to the one I want in a local store (it was a bezel halo), and I didn't see a big difference in sparkle with the other rings, at least under the showroom lights. Hopefully my ring will still have a lot of life (and the halo diamonds might compensate a little for the side sparkle views?).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kat08|1334886045|3175765 said:

Yes, it's an ideal round cut diamond. It's so hard to buy rings without seeing them in real life! I did check out a similar style to the one I want in a local store (it was a bezel halo), and I didn't see a big difference in sparkle with the other rings, at least under the showroom lights. Hopefully my ring will still have a lot of life (and the halo diamonds might compensate a little for the side sparkle views?).

using_IS_Reference_Chart_72.jpg

Ideal rounds get their light return from the table and crown facets. So it won't compromise an ideal round too much at all.

As for the halo diamonds. They offer a very different contrast to the center stone. White white light with very different performance than the larger diamond center. Makes for a lot of visual interest.

kat08

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1334886411|3175773 said:
kat08|1334886045|3175765 said:

using_IS_Reference_Chart_72.jpg

Ideal rounds get their light return from the table and crown facets. So it won't compromise an ideal round too much at all.

As for the halo diamonds. They offer a very different contrast to the center stone. White white light with very different performance than the larger diamond center. Makes for a lot of visual interest.

That's so interesting about the halo giving off a different kind of light. I can't wait to spend time checking out the different types of sparkle, lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results