shape
carat
color
clarity

Does a bezel setting affect diamond performance?

morganlover

Rough_Rock
I have an AVC I can't decide on a setting for. It's a 1.18 K SI2. I'm considering a bezel with a fairly open basket. Would that affect its performance? The cut and performance is what I love most so I wouldn't want to compromise that.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal belief, if it is an ideal cut diamond, the diamond will perform beautifully in a bezel.
Maybe some cut experts can chime in.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I had my "M" Transitional 1.81 ct diamond set in a bezel I was told it actually made it look better...

I first saw this setting on SMTB in Rose Gold with a Cushion diamond. The bottom looks like flower petals and is open.

Bezel by ERD now BE Platinum

img_7491.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it affects performance if the bezel is done right. However, I recently bought some bezeled earrings on which the bezels were (IMHO) too high - the tops were nearly even with the table. It looked to me like the bezels did obstruct light and interfere with performance, so I'm having them re-set. These are very small diamonds, so it didn't take much for the bezel height to approach the table height. You won't run into that problem with a 1.18 carat stone!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes definitely set it where the table is above the bezel and that's how it should be if set correctly. I also like the idea of the opening beneath the bezel as that can aid with cleaning.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
You might find some of the discussion in the following thread of interest:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...g-change-and-or-decrease-light-return.146618/

If you have the loose diamond and a loupe, you can push a small colored object up against the girdle, and look through the table/crown to see where the color is reflected. These are the locations where the bezel will have an effect. The effect can be negative (by blocking light that enters the girdle from being returned to the eye) especially because the bezel will also cover a small part of the crown. If your stone is leaky, however, a bezel can actually help by reflecting some of the light that might otherwise have been lost through the pavilion (assuming the bezel interior is nicely polished).

In "ideal" cut diamonds (e.g., ASETs with mostly red, and some green & blue), almost all of the returned light was collected from the table and crown, so bezeling should have minor effect. If you have an ASET for your AVC, it may be helpful to post it.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I love bezels. But.... When I bezeled my marquise it definitely changed the look of the stone and not for the better. But... My marquise is not well cut. As Brian Gavin once described it "it has the girdle of a Sherman Tank". I also have a GIA XXX HCA 1.1 and the bezel has no effect at all. I wouldn't hesitate to bezel set a well cut stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results