shape
carat
color
clarity

Swap-A-Roo = Not for You?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1323550338|3078670 said:
Lula|1323549620|3078661 said:
thing2of2|1323549137|3078654 said:
I'm with armywife here-I don't see JbEG's post as gloating. It seems relevant to me given the unusual circumstances that spurred this entire mess.

And honestly, if I were JbEG, I would be very leery of working with MF again. JbEG thought the transaction was complete and all parties were happy until several months later, when they were publicly called out on PS as misrepresenting a stone's color.

Ditto.

Makes me wonder if after MF got the refund* and went shopping for a new stone, sticker shock set in and she realized what a bargain the JbEG stone was.
ETA: *A better way of phrasing it might be "bullied a refund out of JbEG."

This was actually my first guess too.

Look, I totally get that Erica would WANT to come back and post that conclusion, asap. But the manner of which it was done was ridiculous. To say the entire jbeg portion of this thread was pointless? There were many good discussions here about color, GIA, Old cuts, and what might be expected of a vendor when the grading doesn't come back as how the stone was sold.

To state that "within hours" they got emails and phone calls, was info given to make a point about MF being a fickle pickle. That's gloating. To say, we sold the stone, and good luck MF finding something else, but we're "THRILLED" to send it to a new buyer, is gloating. Am I saying that they shouldn't FEEL like gloating? Nope. I'm saying that as a vendor, even though the customer *really* isn't always right (I'm in sales, so of course I know this. :cheeky: ) that as a vendor, you certainly can behave better than the customer. And sorry, but when they posted email communications here, that's always been a no no for me.

But like I said, it's THEIR business, they will have customers that are HAPPY with the way they do business. And isn't life grand that one size doesn't fit all?

I just didn't read that tone in JbEG's post. And I think that once assertions were made about was and wasn't said by MF, JbEG posting email excerpts was within bounds, as was updating this thread with the outcome.

I'm sure the majority of JbEG's customers come from PS, so it would be silly to NOT post all the details, IMO. And if you post about a negative experience with a vendor on PS and hash it out publicly, I don't think you can expect all the details to remain private.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1323550338|3078670 said:
Lula|1323549620|3078661 said:
thing2of2|1323549137|3078654 said:
I'm with armywife here-I don't see JbEG's post as gloating. It seems relevant to me given the unusual circumstances that spurred this entire mess.

And honestly, if I were JbEG, I would be very leery of working with MF again. JbEG thought the transaction was complete and all parties were happy until several months later, when they were publicly called out on PS as misrepresenting a stone's color.

Ditto.

Makes me wonder if after MF got the refund* and went shopping for a new stone, sticker shock set in and she realized what a bargain the JbEG stone was.
ETA: *A better way of phrasing it might be "bullied a refund out of JbEG."

This was actually my first guess too.

Look, I totally get that Erica would WANT to come back and post that conclusion, asap. But the manner of which it was done was ridiculous. To say the entire jbeg portion of this thread was pointless? There were many good discussions here about color, GIA, Old cuts, and what might be expected of a vendor when the grading doesn't come back as how the stone was sold.

To state that "within hours" they got emails and phone calls, was info given to make a point about MF being a fickle pickle. That's gloating. To say, we sold the stone, and good luck MF finding something else, but we're "THRILLED" to send it to a new buyer, is gloating. Am I saying that they shouldn't FEEL like gloating? Nope. I'm saying that as a vendor, even though the customer *really* isn't always right (I'm in sales, so of course I know this. :cheeky: ) that as a vendor, you certainly can behave better than the customer. And sorry, but when they posted email communications here, that's always been a no no for me.

But like I said, it's THEIR business, they will have customers that are HAPPY with the way they do business. And isn't life grand that one size doesn't fit all?

I just didn't read that tone in JbEG's post. And I think that once assertions were made about was and wasn't said by MF, JbEG posting email excerpts was within bounds, as was updating this thread with the outcome.

I'm sure the majority of JbEG's customers come from PS, so it would be silly to NOT post all the details, IMO. And if you post about a negative experience with a vendor on PS and hash it out publicly, I don't think you can expect all the details to remain private.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
But let me digress a sec back to the original topic of pre-loved pieces. I am WAAAAY down for them and it bothers me not a bit if they've been loved by a lot of people. Currently I am wearing an awesome Leon sapphire and diamond eternity band that I bought on DB. Wear it every day and paid so much less than if I had got it from him new. The seller made me happy and I made her happy. She got to enjoy it and when it was time to move on, she rocked my world.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
missydebby|1323551317|3078683 said:
But let me digress a sec back to the original topic of pre-loved pieces. I am WAAAAY down for them and it bothers me not a bit if they've been loved by a lot of people. Currently I am wearing an awesome Leon sapphire and diamond eternity band that I bought on DB. Wear it every day and paid so much less than if I had got it from him new. The seller made me happy and I made her happy. She got to enjoy it and when it was time to move on, she rocked my world.

I LIKE THAT MISSDEBBY :appl:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1323549657|3078662 said:
Shouldn't Erica and Grace be more emotionally attached to their stock than someone such as WF, GOG and BGD though?

Ideal cut RBs are everywhere -I can go to any of the jewelry stores here in town and pick up one. A few months ago I went looking for an old cut in town, I found ONE. OECs, OMCs, etc are not nearly as plentiful as those RBs. And every one is different. So, it makes sense to me to be more emotionally attached.

IMHO, Freke, no. Whether to me whether the stones are more abundant or not, they're conducting a business...they're not artists when it comes to the stone itself...they're resellers. If they attach themselves personally to every stone they sell, well, to me that's just an awkward way to do business.

That's different from having a PERSONAL TOUCH in the way they do business, don't get me wrong. But if a vendor is going to take normal business transactions (not saying this one was normal, btw) like return requests or adjustments PERSONALLY, or be indignant if their stats on stones are found differently by a grading lab, then that can be a tough vendor to do business with.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1323551765|3078688 said:
Shouldn't Erica and Grace be more emotionally attached to their stock than someone such as WF, GOG and BGD though?

Ideal cut RBs are everywhere -I can go to any of the jewelry stores here in town and pick up one. A few months ago I went looking for an old cut in town, I found ONE. OECs, OMCs, etc are not nearly as plentiful as those RBs. And every one is different. So, it makes sense to me to be more emotionally attached.

IMHO, Freke, no. Whether to me whether the stones are more abundant or not, they're conducting a business...they're not artists when it comes to the stone itself...they're resellers. If they attach themselves personally to every stone they sell, well, to me that's just an awkward way to do business.

That's different from having a PERSONAL TOUCH in the way they do business, don't get me wrong. But if a vendor is going to take normal business transactions (not saying this one was normal, btw) like return requests or adjustments PERSONALLY, or be indignant if their stats on stones are found differently by a grading lab, then that can be a tough vendor to do business with.

It doesn't seem like JbEG got indignant or took a return request or adjustment personally, though. As far as I could tell, they only took it personally that posters were calling them shady. For that I can't really blame them. And you even pointed out that this wasn't a normal transaction. So it doesn't seem fair to imply that JbEG are a couple of high strung crazies who take everything personally.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
given this thread getting so off track and deep into details of a particular transaction with a vendor, let me say that i did not get a negative tone off of ericad's post re the resolution of the situation....and lack thereof. i think ericad has handled herself and the situation with grace under fire.

they have bent over backwards to make things right for MF.....it appears though that nothing they do is satisfactory. they accepted the stone back and made the refund only to be asked to sell the stone to her again?! i personally would never have had the nerve to ask that of ericad given everything that was said in this thread. it is understandable that the stone had sold in the mean time. business is business. it was clear that MF did not want the stone. if the refund paperwork was in progress why would not the stone have been sold to someone else? that pricescopers think that a vendor should make all things right for a buyer is unrealistic. in all things it is "buyer beware".

i think ericad posting was appropriate. the story of this stone was taken out of the realm of private long ago and i for one wanted to know the resolution was complete. at this point any "i was done wrong" post would just plain be wrong.

i really do hope MF finds a stone she can love and without all the drama. i think this stone given the drama was better off going to someone else. i don't know that she could ever have been happy with it.....and in reality, there is not just one perfect stone out there for any of us. there are many and its just a matter of finding the one we want to give a home. i also feel very badly for MF because what should have been a happy time has turned into a nightmare. i wouldn't wish this on anyone.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1323552321|3078694 said:

It doesn't seem like JbEG got indignant or took a return request or adjustment personally, though. As far as I could tell, they only took it personally that posters were calling them shady. For that I can't really blame them. And you even pointed out that this wasn't a normal transaction. So it doesn't seem fair to imply that JbEG are a couple of high strung crazies who take everything personally.

T2, to clarify, I am not talking about jbeg specifically above. I don't recall on this thread if they took the grading personally. But I do remember that Erica said she was taking all of it (the stuff going on in this thread, including the opinions of some PSers as you say) personally enough to consider leaving PS, which come on...how many vendors here have taken plenty more heat than that around here? I'm not implying they're a few high strung crazies. If anything, I'm saying they're wussies. :cheeky:

OK, I'm kidding. But crazy customers are part of the deal....it's an e-ring purchase. Doesn't everyone know LIW are the high strung crazies? Hehehe. If you're going to do business with them, it's best to be a bit more levelheaded. Otherwise it all blows up!!!!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Tgal, you have projected a lot of interesting interpretations to our words. We never called MF fickle - those are your words (in one of your posts above). We never took the transaction personally, we took personally MF's misrepresentation of events on a public forum. Do we care about what we do? Yep. Do we care about the items we sell, our reputations and our clients? Darn right.

Posting email correspondence is a no no? How else could we counter her false paraphrasing? We were never indignant about GIA's results - we were shocked, but did everything MF asked to make the situation right. The problem was that the target kept moving - she wanted a trade, then a credit, then a refund after a barrage of public criticism, then the stone back, and it was her decision to take this transaction public. We've been left with our eyes crossed and our heads spinning over this one. So I do stand by my decision to post about it. It's relevant in illustrating the impossible position we've been in - it would seem that the only reasonable solution would be a time machine. Sometimes you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We've never been in this situation before and we did our best to navigate through it. We may have misstepped and will walk away from this with many lessons learned. Perhaps the way we handled the situation has cost us your business. But perhaps it has elevated us in the eyes of others. We can only be who we are, and personality fit is an important part of selecting a vendor to do business with. To our credit, we've been active on this thread, letting people know who we are and what we stand for. Maybe that was dumb, lol, but Grace and I have never shied away from anything and it's just our style to fly by the seat of our pants.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ericad|1323552901|3078701 said:

Tgal, you have projected a lot of interesting interpretations to our words. We never called MF fickle - those are your words (in one of your posts above). We never took the transaction personally, we took personally MF's misrepresentation of events on a public forum. Do we care about what we do? Yep. Do we care about the items we sell, our reputations and our clients? Darn right.

Posting email correspondence is a no no? How else could we counter her false paraphrasing? We were never indignant about GIA's results - we were shocked, but did everything MF asked to make the situation right. The problem was that the target kept moving - she wanted a trade, then a credit, then a refund after a barrage of public criticism, then the stone back, and it was her decision to take this transaction public. We've been left with our eyes crossed and our heads spinning over this one. So I do stand by my decision to post about it. It's relevant in illustrating the impossible position we've been in - it would seem that the only reasonable solution would be a time machine. Sometimes you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We've never been in this situation before and we did our best to navigate through it. We may have misstepped and will walk away from this with many lessons learned. Perhaps the way we handled the situation has cost us your business. But perhaps it has elevated us in the eyes of others. We can only be who we are, and personality fit is an important part of selecting a vendor to do business with. To our credit, we've been active on this thread, letting people know who we are and what we stand for. Maybe that was dumb, lol, but Grace and I have never shied away from anything and it's just our style to fly by the seat of our pants.

Actually no, those are not my words. VRB said your post just called out that MF was a fickle picke. I agree with her. I said your post just points out that she was one. Semantics, but I never said you CALLED her that. But your post certainly made the point of illustrating that. As to the other points, I clarified that in my post before yours.

Yes, I think it's a no no. Because it's not definitive...one can change the words (NOT saying you would be so unethical to do that, btw). And also because it's a private communication. I realize this is being aired out in a public forum, but generally around here in the past, it's been frowned upon by PSers when vendors do it. And it's also been frowned upon when consumers post vendors emails too, so it goes both ways. To me it's like recording someone without their knowledge. She intended the communication to be to just you. Posting without permission is just not kosher in my eyes, but it's certainly not the LAW around here.

I understand that your eyes are crossed and heads spinning. But I think you just took this way too personally. Just my opinion, as I said. You've gone from saying about your "closing post" about MF "sorry you feel that way tgal, but I stand by it" to apologizing and calling it a "bad judgment call" after a couple more negative posts" to now again standing by your decision posting about the conclusion after more posts agreeing with you.

Believe me, I have always been about the vendor being able to post their side of the story around here. It's not fair if consumers get to bitch and vendors don't get to defend. But if you defend, there's going to be opinions in the manner of how it's done. As you say, you will be elevated in the eyes of some, and not in the eyes of others. That's not a bad thing. What it may mean is that you've only lost the business of people who you wouldn't want to do business with anyway. ;))

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me I am glad to know the update. Many have been following this thread. :read:

I don't fault JBEG for updating us. In fact I am glad they did, and am hoping the stone got a great home. :))

In turn I hope MF finds a stone that will make her sing... And can't wait to see it once she does. :sun:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
And FWIW, if I were Erica and Grace, my mouth would have absolutely hit the floor too if I got a request from MF to keep the stone after all this. If I really wanted to make the point, I would have just said, "Just an update that after everything, MF has requested the stone back. Unfortunately, the stone has been sold, and we wish the MF and the new owner of the stone well."

Then everyone would have just gone :-o and probably just said "Poor Erica and Grace!"

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1323553931|3078713 said:
........As you say, you will be elevated in the eyes of some, and not in the eyes of others. That's not a bad thing. What it may mean is that you've only lost the business of people who you wouldn't want to do business with anyway. ;))

as a reminder: a business does not have to do business with a customer. there are some vendors that have set rules for the circumstances in which they will do business....i refer to the recent decision of a vendor to only custom cut stones that will sell for $500 or more. it is a fact of life that business owners are in business to make $. that they have to set limits on what they can and will do, how much time they can devote to a customer, etc. is just part of doing business.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1323554753|3078722 said:
And FWIW, if I were Erica and Grace, my mouth would have absolutely hit the floor too if I got a request from MF to keep the stone after all this. If I really wanted to make the point, I would have just said, "Just an update that after everything, MF has requested the stone back. Unfortunately, the stone has been sold, and we wish the MF and the new owner of the stone well."

Then everyone would have just gone :-o and probably just said "Poor Erica and Grace!"

But that's exactly what I took away from their post, and apparently so did a lot of other PSers!

Note to self: TGal is impossible to please, refrain from selling her my Hot Potato Pieces! :devil: :halo: :cheeky:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1323554933|3078724 said:

But that's exactly what I took away from their post, and apparently so did a lot of other PSers!

Note to self: TGal is impossible to please, refrain from selling her my Hot Potato Pieces! :devil: :halo: :cheeky:

Totally impossible to please, absolutely! :devil: And c'mon T2, I wouldn't EVER buy from you...you're a democrat. :kiss: (But I love you anyway)

I know that's what their post SAID, but it said a lot of other things too. My point is if you feel you HAVE to update, keep it short, simple, keep the emotion out, and let the chips fall where they may. If she DID do that, the PSers who DID think she was gloaty, petty, and totally unprofessional may not have thought that, see my point? (Don't answer that, I know you won't. :cheeky: )

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As the miscreant who introduced the word "fickle" into the discussion... this!

By the way, I didn't so much read "gloating" in Erica's post-script, I read it as "see what we had to put up with?" And perhaps I read too much into it - it happens, which may also explain why these things sometimes take on a life of their own on the forums.

This is a consumer education forum, and sometimes the education goes well beyond the 4 C's!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1323555506|3078728 said:

Totally impossible to please, absolutely! :devil: And c'mon T2, I wouldn't EVER buy from you...you're a democrat. :kiss: (But I love you anyway)

I know that's what their post SAID, but it said a lot of other things too. My point is if you feel you HAVE to update, keep it short, simple, keep the emotion out, and let the chips fall where they may. If she DID do that, the PSers who DID think she was gloaty, petty, and totally unprofessional may not have thought that, see my point? (Don't answer that, I know you won't. :cheeky: )

I do see your point...SO THERE! :tongue: Sometimes less really is more when posting on the interwebz. We've had this conversation on PS before many times, since it's hard to interpret tone from the written word. We've also had the conversation that it's best to give people the benefit of the doubt when interpreting their posts, though, which is what most PSers seem to doing in this case. SO STICK THAT IN YOUR REPUBLICAN PIPE AND SMOKE IT.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1323555885|3078731 said:

I do see your point...SO THERE! :tongue: Sometimes less really is more when posting on the interwebz. We've had this conversation on PS before many times, since it's hard to interpret tone from the written word. We've also had the conversation that it's best to give people the benefit of the doubt when interpreting their posts, though, which is what most PSers seem to doing in this case. SO STICK THAT IN YOUR REPUBLICAN PIPE AND SMOKE IT.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't mean to hurt my feelings.

:cheeky:

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
:shock:

I doubt I could have been as tactful as Erica was under the circumstances!

My reaction when I read that MF wanted the stone back, after airing her grievances out in public (to be fair to her, it was at the urging of PSers) and igniting an impromptu sh*t-flinging contest against Jbeg (again, PSers getting the bit between their teeth and dragging Jbeg's name into the mud, not MF's intent) was to make this face :-o and exclaim "Are you #$@%ing SERIOUS?!"

I am a little astonished that she had the cajones to ask for the stone back after all this. Kudos to you, Erica (and Grace), for being so gracious in what has been a mind-boggling turn of events. My head is spinning, and I wasn't even involved!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SO STICK THAT IN YOUR REPUBLICAN PIPE AND SMOKE IT.

:appl:

Is it bad of me that I prefer the pipe response to the pie response?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
And I AM giving Erica and Grace the benefit of the doubt because I would think what they WANTED to say was?

WTF???? This entire thing is batsh*t crazy! P*ss off, we wouldn't sell you this stone back if YOU WERE THE LAST CUSTOMER ON EARTH!

I'm in sales. That's what *I* might have wanted to say. But I just lean faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar conservative in my sales job. Which is why it's fun to come and let loose here. :devil:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1323556118|3078735 said:

I'm smoking lemon peel in my pipe. Zesty.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1323556195|3078737 said:
And I AM giving Erica and Grace the benefit of the doubt because I would think what they WANTED to say was:

WTF???? This entire thing is batsh*t crazy! P*ss off, we wouldn't sell you this stone back if YOU WERE THE LAST CUSTOMER ON EARTH!

I'm in sales. That's what *I* might have wanted to say. But I just lean faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar conservative in my sales job. Which is why it's fun to come and let loose here. :devil:

Edited for punctuation.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

This is a lose lose thread if I ever read one. WOW. :o

Sharon

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1323556026|3078732 said:

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't mean to hurt my feelings.

:cheeky:

Awww, I'm sorry-I didn't realize you had feelings! :devil: :cheeky: I kid, I kid! You assumed correctly! :bigsmile:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1323556118|3078735 said:

If you're bad, I'm worse! :lol:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1323556195|3078737 said:
And I AM giving Erica and Grace the benefit of the doubt because I would think what they WANTED to say was?

SNORT. That sums up what my response would have been!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o wow, just wow

I do think the decision to return the stone was in haste, because it will be very, very hard to find a replacement at that price that will exactly fit a setting that is already made. I wonder if the new owner could contact Victor and see if they want to sell the setting at a discount??? Starting over would be faaaaarrrr easier than trying to find another 8.6mm OEC in a higher color at a comparable price (or at any price).

I think JBEG bent over backwards in this situation. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ericad|1323369111|3077174 said:
Yssie|1323368664|3077172 said:
I know GIA will accept re-submissions if the client feels the grading is off - perhaps something to seriously consider for this stone. From my understanding grading these lower colours is rather more guesswork than the regular D-J, and so it's certainly possible the GIA graders *were* off - they're just humans too! An O/P would be well within acceptable ''appraiser error' margin, even Q/R...

I was thinking along these lines too, Yssie. When the stone comes back, we'll again bust out the master set and go through the same motions to make sure we weren't having an off day. I will be the first to admit if it was a clear cut error, but if I still feel strongly that the body color doesn't merit an S/T grade, we may resend it to GIA.

Grace and I look forward to being reunited with this stone. And if in fact it is more tinted than we originally thought, we have a fab setting idea in mind, halo'd in white melee using two fancy yellow french cut side stones...I'm getting all tingly just thinking about it.

Taking a deep breath now and focusing on moving forward. Sorry for my earlier temper tantrum (goodbye, cruel pricescope!) - one thing that Grace and I always say we need to work on is getting less attached to our stones and our transactions. We take each one so personally, and it's difficult to make sound business decisions while balancing that level of sensitivity. We are working on it.

btw, Erica, this is where I got that you took the transaction personally. I knew I had read it somewhere along this thread.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erica and Grace I'm so sorry you had to go through all of this, not just the transaction from Hell but also the anti-seller bias on PS that twists things around so you just can't win in their eyes unless you lay down and let a customer walk all over you.
I for one see right through that and I think I'm not alone.

All things considered, you are a class act!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results