shape
carat
color
clarity

Swap-A-Roo = Not for You?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MF, the part of this that I cannot understand is why you didn't have the stone sent to you to see before it was sent to Victor since you had serious concerns about the color? You knew at that point you could have sent it back and reconsigned it (or even sold it another way) even if there was no possibility of a refund. Now you have a $6000 setting made for a specific size stone. I am not on anyone's "side" at all in this. I am glad you are happy with the resolution. I just hope you can find another antique stone the exact same size. I think it is quite likely you'll be spending more money to get a GIA graded L, though.

Haven didn't mention this when she posted, but I am pretty sure her jeweler represented her antique stone as a particular color and it came back a lower grade from GIA, also. I believe he refused to lower the price of her stone but she loved it and bought it anyway. So really, I think what JBEG did was right at the time, they offered the opportunity to switch to another stone or a partial refund and the partial refund was the option chosen. I really think the communication problems were between MF and her fiance.

I'm sorry for everyone involved and hope MF will be happy with her e-ring!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1323412395|3077690 said:
MF, the part of this that I cannot understand is why you didn't have the stone sent to you to see before it was sent to Victor since you had serious concerns about the color? You knew at that point you could have sent it back and reconsigned it (or even sold it another way) even if there was no possibility of a refund. Now you have a $6000 setting made for a specific size stone. I am not on anyone's "side" at all in this. I am glad you are happy with the resolution. I just hope you can find another antique stone the exact same size. I think it is quite likely you'll be spending more money to get a GIA graded L, though.

Haven didn't mention this when she posted, but I am pretty sure her jeweler represented her antique stone as a particular color and it came back a lower grade from GIA, also. I believe he refused to lower the price of her stone but she loved it and bought it anyway. So really, I think what JBEG did was right at the time, they offered the opportunity to switch to another stone or a partial refund and the partial refund was the option chosen. I really think the communication problems were between MF and her fiance.

I'm sorry for everyone involved and hope MF will be happy with her e-ring!

Good points diamond seeker...
The reason I never had it sent to me to see it was because Grace told me that it had been in their inventory for a substantial time prior and they were at a loss as to why it hadn't sold, because they thought it was nice, but were happy it was finally getting a home.
Now with that in mind, if it had sat for a substantial time as an L/M, how long would it sit as an S/T? That's not a particularly desired grade for most people, even those looking for antique cuts. It could have sat for a long while had I chosen to resell it again with JbEG.
Of the other two stones offered, one was near a full ct smaller, I didn't want it, it was smaller than I wanted, $5,000 more, still guessed at a low color and no grading report. The other was over .26cts smaller, 2 clarity grades lower, one color grade higher than mine was supposed to be, and $7,000 more. That wasnt in the budget by a few thousand. Without stirring everything up again, my SO felt like JbEG was taking advantage, the stone we bought came back way off from what it was sold to us as, but we could he could pay $5,000 more for 1ct smaller in a low color, again no cert at that time, or pay $7,000 more for a stone with significantly lesser specs in 3 of the Cs except one color grade higher than what he was told he bought, he was not happy at all with the options.
Again, I sent the stone to GIA, not to check up and question JbEG's grade, because I trusted it, but for insurance purposes later.
I was very surprised when it came back as S/T, shocked actually. Victor said he felt the moment he got it that no way it was an L/M but it was a lively and nice stone and was not his business to critique other vendor's stones and that as I was sending it to GIA I'd find out myself. I very much respect him for that, he's a class act and has been phenomenal.
I will find something else to fit the ring, even if I have to set it with something else in the mean time, if we find something then at least we will be in a position to put a substantial down payment on it, not held back by trying to sell another stone first.
Actually, it is my understanding that as a result of this hoopla over this stone that there's an interested party in, attention it would not have gotten without it and it may sell sooner as a result, working out positively for both us and JbEG.

Thank you again, DS

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
maplefemme|1323438906|3077757 said:
The reason I never had it sent to me to see it was because Grace told me that it had been in their inventory for a substantial time prior and they were at a loss as to why it hadn't sold, because they thought it was nice, but were happy it was finally getting a home.

You didn't want to see the stone because:
a. The stone was not selling
b. Vendor thought it should sell because it was nice
c. Vendor was happy it was getting sold

I am sorry but I really don't understand the logic behind it. None of those points in my mind translate to why you didn't want to see the stone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1323442896|3077789 said:

I am sorry but I really don't understand the logic behind it. None of those points in my mind translate to why you didn't want to see the stone.

I could be wrong (and apologize maplefemme if I am) but I think what she is trying to say is that she didn't see the point of seeing the stone before it was set because she didn't think she had the option of returning it so she just went ahead with the plan to have it set in an ER and make the best of the situation.

Btw, love love love that ring Aljedewey linked you to! Gorgeous! :love:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1323439630|3077759 said:
MF, I don't know if you've seen this, but when I saw this, I thought immediately of you.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/2-carat-oec-t169170.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/2-carat-oec-t169170.html[/URL]

It's a 2ct. oec stone that another PSer has for sale presently and it already has a GIA grading report as an L, SI1. If you are on your way to a refund, this could be serendipity for you. :)

She wants .9 ct bigger at the same price :razz:

You can only find those as eBay steals.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
missy|1323443143|3077792 said:

I could be wrong (and apologize maplefemme if I am) but I think what she is trying to say is that she didn't see the point of seeing the stone before it was set because she didn't think she had the option of returning it so she just went ahead with the plan to have it set in an ER and make the best of the situation.

Interesting, I would not have read that from what she wrote. No where did it say anything about returning and making the best of the situation. There is also no explanation what so ever for why she didn't bother seeing the diamond before purchasing and investing so heavily into an expensive setting. This is literally unheard of.

To me, the only logical explanation is that she trusted the vendor and didn't feel she needed to validate the stone with her eyes at any point of the transaction. After she found out the color was off, she proceeded to not want to see the diamond and had Victor make the setting - probably because she didn't want to spend the extra money to ship the diamond to her and ship it back to Victor to have it made (speculating here).

I mean I can understand why someone would not want to deal with shipping. I recently purchased an OEC in California and I sent it straight to Ari to evaluate for repolishing/recutting instead of to me first. I did this because I knew I am a total cut nut and would want to make it perfect. I was being cheap and didn't want to send it to Canada and back to California again. Now that Ari has it checked out ... I am now having the diamond sent to me prior to investing in an expensive setting.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1323444391|3077804 said:

Interesting, I would not have read that from what she wrote. No where did it say anything about returning and making the best of the situation. There is also no explanation what so ever for why she didn't bother seeing the diamond before purchasing and investing so heavily into an expensive setting. This is literally unheard of.

To me, the only logical explanation is that she trusted the vendor and didn't feel she needed to validate the stone with her eyes at any point of the transaction. After she found out the color was off, she proceeded to not want to see the diamond and had Victor make the setting - probably because she didn't want to spend the extra money to ship the diamond to her and ship it back to Victor to have it made (speculating here).

I mean I can understand why someone would not want to deal with shipping. I recently purchased an OEC in California and I sent it straight to Ari to evaluate for repolishing/recutting instead of to me first. I did this because I knew I am a total cut nut and would want to make it perfect. I was being cheap and didn't want to send it to Canada and back to California again. Now that Ari has it checked out ... I am now having the diamond sent to me prior to investing in an expensive setting.

I have the questions and drew the same conclusions as you, CharmyPoo. It really surprises me that even after it came back at a very different color grade, MF didn't choose to have it shipped to her to inspect it before setting it. It sounds like part of the reason the situation was handled the way it was is due to MF's SO, but of course that's all speculation on my part. Hopefully MF will weigh in, just because I'm curious!

And to be completely honest, MF, I also don't understand why you're returning the stone! It's absolutely stunning! Plus it just seems unlikely that you'll be able to find an equally gorgeous stone in a higher color for the same price. I hope you do because I want to see the finished VC ring with a gorgeous old cut in it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MF, thanks for your reply. From looking at the old JBEG page, it appears the stone was 8.6mm, is that correct? Maybe people can be on the lookout for you. I'd call Ari at Singlestone as well.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

You are manipulating my words, Charmypoo, I never bullet pointed those specifics as THE reasons, but you bullet point them yourself to make some kind of example that makes me look fickle, and you miss out the other things I wrote.
So what if I got to see it? What difference would that have made in my options? The stone had sat for a long period of time I was told and had no interest. If it had no interest as an L/M at that price then what chance would I stand putting it back on the same website as an S/T? JbEG has stated that their customers prefer EGL of a higher grade, because the find it hard to get their heads wrapped around the descrepencies between GIA and EGL. So what they are saying then is that, in general, their customers would be comparing my GIA S/T to an EGL S/T.
Now Charmypoo, maybe that's a gamble you would choose to take, but it's not a gamble I want to take and I'm entitled to that choice.
Seeing the stone would of changed nothing, if I didn't like it, the other two stones offered weren't an option for reasons I have already stated, so trading wasn't an option. I never wanted an S/T, seeing it doesn't change that but I accepted it.
The was told it was a final sale and my contract said no refunds, that detail of my contract was reminded to me during negotiations. Now again, it has already been hashed that as I understood it that I could not get a refund. Many options were offered to me, a refund was not one of them. JbEG has already stated that they can see why I thought a refund wasn't possible by how the negotiation was worded and that's fine, JbEG and I have both agreed on the miscommunication.
So I decided to keep the stone and my SO asked JbEG if he could have a discount on the stone. He didn't ask for an amount, he asked them to decide what was fair market value at the time.
Now Charmypoo, those were my choices, you may have made different choices, so be it.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo|1323443346|3077796 said:
aljdewey|1323439630|3077759 said:
MF, I don't know if you've seen this, but when I saw this, I thought immediately of you.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/2-carat-oec-t169170.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/2-carat-oec-t169170.html[/URL]

It's a 2ct. oec stone that another PSer has for sale presently and it already has a GIA grading report as an L, SI1. If you are on your way to a refund, this could be serendipity for you. :)

She wants .9 ct bigger at the same price :razz:

You can only find those as eBay steals.

Thanks, you're a real class act, how disappointing, I once thought so highly of your posts and opinions.
I have never once stated that I wanted something for the same price, you're just being malicious and I'll have no part in it, it's not my nature.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1323445497|3077815 said:
MF, thanks for your reply. From looking at the old JBEG page, it appears the stone was 8.6mm, is that correct? Maybe people can be on the lookout for you. I'd call Ari at Singlestone as well.

Thank you DS, yes, as soon as everything is sorted out I'd love to get some help - thank you :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're welcome! I'll watch out for one!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1323446468|3077823 said:
You're welcome! I'll watch out for one!

Thanks, I really appreciate it :D

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

Yes that is correct, Missy, you're spot on.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1323444854|3077811 said:
CharmyPoo|1323444391|3077804 said:

I have the questions and drew the same conclusions as you, CharmyPoo. It really surprises me that even after it came back at a very different color grade, MF didn't choose to have it shipped to her to inspect it before setting it. It sounds like part of the reason the situation was handled the way it was is due to MF's SO, but of course that's all speculation on my part. Hopefully MF will weigh in, just because I'm curious!

And to be completely honest, MF, I also don't understand why you're returning the stone! It's absolutely stunning! Plus it just seems unlikely that you'll be able to find an equally gorgeous stone in a higher color for the same price. I hope you do because I want to see the finished VC ring with a gorgeous old cut in it!

You're right in a few things, yes, I trusted the vendor's grade, as I have posted before; I sent it to GIA for insurance purposes only. The conflicting grade was a complete surprise. Victor did not start making the ring until we picked the best of the options we had, and that was to keep it and make the best of it.
JbEG kindly offered to pay the shipping costs for us to see it, but as I wrote in my reply to Charmypoo, we did accept for the reasons I wrote her.
I would not deny the stone is beautiful, I picked it. However, I wanted an L/M, not an S/T. It's like someone buying an H and it coming back a K, it might be a beautiful K but it's not what you wanted, you see?

I'm just editing to say that I have never said I want a stone of the same size of a higher color for the same price, I haven't discussed the budget for the replacement stone at all.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
MP, of course you haven't and anyone who might have said so would have been putting words in your mouth. :razz:

Congratulations on unwinding this transaction successfully and thank you for teaching us a thing or two with this example about of the rather distorted evaluations of this lab- E- whatever it is. Good to know! :))

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry if you feel I am manipulating your words. However, I think it is very clear why communication could have been the cause of the challenges. I truly did not get what you were trying to say from what you wrote as your explanation for not seeing the stone.

If this helps, these are your exact words and my interpretation of your words. If you feel that I am manipulating them then I am sorry but I truly believe that I translated accurately. As you can see, others have also read it the same way as I did and others were able to infer your rationale beyond your written words.

You said "The reason I never had it sent to me to see it was because:"
I understood "You didn't want to see the stone because:"

You said "Grace told me that it had been in their inventory for a substantial time prior"
I understood "vendor told you the stone was not selling"

You said "they were at a loss as to why it hadn't sold, because they thought it was nice"
I understood "vendor thought it should sell because it was nice"

You said "were happy it was finally getting a home."
I understood "vendor was happy it was getting sold."

So please forgive me because no where in that paragraph does it mention that you didn't want to see the stone because you felt it would not have changed the outcome at all. As you went on with your post - it appeared you were going back to your original issue with your options which in my interpretation was not tied to your reasons for not sending the stone to you.

I quote you "but it's not a gamble I want to take and I'm entitled to that choice". It is not clear to me what you aren't willing to take a gamble on because I see you taking the biggest gamble here in not seeing the stone at all throughout the whole process. I would not make such a large purchase without validating the goods in advance unless I was willing to take the financial hit in the event it doesn't work out.

As you have seen from my postings on PS, very rarely am I a mean person. I just feel strongly that others can learn from your experience and I hope you are learning as well because you will be purchasing a new stone. I hope you recognize the importance of getting an independent appraisal or a report prior to the purchase or within the return policy.

You said "Seeing the stone would of changed nothing, if I didn't like it, the other two stones offered weren't an option for reasons I have already stated, so trading wasn't an option." Let's say it is truly the case where JbEG refused you a return outright. Seeing the stone would certainly have impacted your decisioning process. If you chose to see or validate the stone prior to finalizing your purchase - all of this could have be avoided.

For me, seeing the stone will influence the decision process. I would see the choices as:
1. Love the diamond and proceed to have it set by Victor
2. The diamond is unacceptable and I will not have it set by Victor. I do not have the financial means to keep it if I want to be able to purchase a better suited e-ring diamond. I need to determine an approach to sell it if a return is not possible or talk to JbEG about my options again.
3. The diamond is unacceptable as an e-ring but would make a lovely pendant. I have the financial means to keep it and will set it into a cheap setting. I will then start the process of looking for a new diamond for my e-ring.
4. Don't like the diamond but feel that it will not sell quickly in order for me to get the funds required to get another diamond in time. I don't want to ask JbEG to give me a refund. I will proceed with the original plan and have Victor set it for it to be my e-ring.

So there are options are triggered by you seeing the stone and not the cause of the problem. I would be separating those issues. Yes, there is a problem that the diamond represented by JbEG is different what GIA came back with. This problem though has nothing to do with your choice of not seeing the stone or having it evaluated prior to the purchase.

I honestly believe what happened here is that you trusted JbEG to represent their stone accurately and did not feel the need to see the stone (you never said this so apologies if this is incorrect). You then also trusted that the GIA report and Victor's assessment of the stone being warmer is accurate (again, this is my interpretation of the events). Then you assumed because JbEG mentioned the policy that it wasn't an option to refund the diamond and NEVER asked for a refund (if JbEG said I WILL NOT GIVE YOU A REFUND then I apologize). Then your SO assumed that you two were being cheated in some way through the trade - although, you know you purchased a consignment piece which could potentially have been priced lower to get it to move.

I sincerely apologize that I drew poor conclusions about the size of the diamond and the budget. Based on the rejection reasons for the trade diamonds, I inferred that you wanted a diamond of the same size and your SO is constrained by the same budget. The reality is that it will be very difficult for you to find an OEC at the price in that size, color, clarity and quality from a known vendor. Perhaps on eBay or a riskier second hand channel.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1323452149|3077874 said:
MP, of course you haven't and anyone who might have said so would have been putting words in your mouth. :razz:

I have highlighted in BOLD what has led me to believe that she wanted a diamond that was the same size and in the same budget range. Again, it was all inferred and not said directly by MP. This could be the same as why MP felt that a refund was not an option through her communications with JbEG.

Of the other two stones offered, one was near a full ct smaller, I didn't want it, it was smaller than I wanted, $5,000 more, still guessed at a low color and no grading report. The other was over .26cts smaller, 2 clarity grades lower, one color grade higher than mine was supposed to be, and $7,000 more. That wasnt in the budget by a few thousand.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
maplefemme|1323448759|3077835 said:
You're right in a few things, yes, I trusted the vendor's grade, as I have posted before; I sent it to GIA for insurance purposes only. The conflicting grade was a complete surprise. Victor did not start making the ring until we picked the best of the options we had, and that was to keep it and make the best of it.
JbEG kindly offered to pay the shipping costs for us to see it, but as I wrote in my reply to Charmypoo, we did accept for the reasons I wrote her.
I would not deny the stone is beautiful, I picked it. However, I wanted an L/M, not an S/T. It's like someone buying an H and it coming back a K, it might be a beautiful K but it's not what you wanted, you see?

I'm just editing to say that I have never said I want a stone of the same size of a higher color for the same price, I haven't discussed the budget for the replacement stone at all.

I said that because it was my understanding that you'll need a stone around the same size to fit in the custom setting, and that since you didn't want an S/T you would want a higher color. Plus since you mentioned that your SO didn't want to spend even more in previous posts, I figured that price was the max you could spend. Apologies if I misunderstood the situation!

ETA the quote of yours that CharmyPoo posted above is why I had this impression.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MF can I suggest putting aside all the emotional entanglements for a few days and having the finished piece shipped out to inspect before deciding absolutely to return the stone? It's made and ready, after all, if my understanding is correct, and it can't hurt to make certain that this is what you want to do.

I'm thinking of Dreamer's earlier comments here - if VC used white full-cut melee anywhere near the stone you may like the look of the S/T *better* than an L-ish, because there will be contrast no matter what, but this way it'll look deliberate... I don't know what design you chose, but I'm also concerned that since old cuts are usually a bit wonky in shape a halo or something tailored for *this* stone's configuration may just not look as perfect on another stone, even one of similar size...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1323454808|3077900 said:
MF can I suggest putting aside all the emotional entanglements for a few days and having the finished piece shipped out to inspect before deciding absolutely to return the stone? It's made and ready, after all, if my understanding is correct, and it can't hurt to make certain that this is what you want to do.

I'm thinking of Dreamer's earlier comments here - if VC used white full-cut melee anywhere near the stone you may like the look of the S/T *better* than an L-ish, because there will be contrast no matter what, but this way it'll look deliberate... I don't know what design you chose, but I'm also concerned that since old cuts are usually a bit wonky in shape a halo or something tailored for *this* stone's configuration may just not look as perfect on another stone, even one of similar size...

I think the stone was being shipped back to JBEG today....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1323455243|3077903 said:
I think the stone was being shipped back to JBEG today....

Oh. I missed that.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i wholeheartedly ditto yssie and had the same thoughts myself.... at this point, what is the harm in seeing it to be sure it's *not* what you want? i would hate for you to kick yourself later wondering 'what if?' if it becomes increasingly difficult to find another stone to fit your setting. besides, if i have learned nothing else from this thread, it is to be sure to *see* something before committing, and that can be applied to committing to having it all undone before seeing it....

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has a life of it's own...

I for one would LOVE to see the ring before VC pops that stone out and sends it back to JbEG.. All I can think about is Phoenix's beautiful ring he made and a couple others on here that make me swoon... I can't imagine he would have taken a stone he didn't think looked fabulous and built a custom setting around that didn't make it look even more fabulous.. I'm sure Its To Die For!!! :love: He's has an amazing talent!!!

I'm just saying.. I think the ring and the setting would sell pretty quick and they MF could start over from scratch... and get everything she didn't the first time around the park.. many of us have done it.. (me included as my first setting is at JbEG now on consignment)....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the setting would best be sold with the diamond. It is going to be extremely hard to be limited to an 8.6mm OEC stone.

And I definitely would have looked at it before sending the stone back.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I took a break from the thread for a little while, lol, but just wanted to update everyone that we do have the stone back from Victor now. We picked it up earlier today and are just waiting to tie up a few loose ends before we issue MF her refund, but she's well on her way. Whatever MF's reasons are for choosing the route she's on, let's all just wish her well and send her good thoughts in finding a suitable stone for her beautiful ring.

I for one, am finished with the "she said" merry go round that we've been on for the past few days. MF and I agree to disagree about certain aspects of the transaction, and I think we all can see that the major contributor was poor communication and misunderstandings on both sides.

Interestingly, I did receive a lovely email from the original owner/seller of the 2.93, and finding out that GIA graded it an S/T was a total shock to her. She's owned antique cuts of various colors, and currently has an amazing J colored BGD Blue, and says she utterly refuses to accept that the stone is an S/T. She doesn't feel we originally misrepresented the diamond, and she has always been color sensitive and wore this stone for quite some time, never finding it to have the body color one would expect in a GIA S/T (or EGL O/P, or whatever EGL might grade it), which should have a very noticeable tint (she would have hated a noticeably tinted stone). Maybe we got it wrong, and maybe GIA got it wrong, but at the end of the day it's a beautiful diamond that will end up in great hands someday, appreciated for the unique beauty that it is. Not to mention being a whopper of a stone, which never hurts!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1323465145|3078084 said:
I agree that the setting would best be sold with the diamond. It is going to be extremely hard to be limited to an 8.6mm OEC stone.

And I definitely would have looked at it before sending the stone back.

Excellent advice as always.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1323383963|3077353 said:
Based on the pics and video, don't think that JBEG will have an issue at all moving that stone, it looks really lovely. I would even bet some PS'er is eyeballing it right now, lol.

I agree with this :D :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: It looks like an amazing stone!!! :love:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
skippy your avatar is precious :)

MF I am really sorry that things didn't work out. I can understand wanting to start over. I really hope you find your dream ring.

I think this thread really highlights the importance of seeing in person and reliable grading. Even though it costs more to ship to see in person I think it is really valuable, especially when custom settings are involved.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results