shape
carat
color
clarity

Swap-A-Roo = Not for You?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does the PS history of a jewelry piece affect your perception of it? In other words, would you be MORE LIKELY or LESS LIKELY to purchase a preloved item if it's making it's way around the block a time or two.

Sometimes I think - geez, what's wrong with something that no one wants to keep it very much! But then I remember - some folks are just fickle pickles & maybe the item itself is F-I-N-E/blameless.

Curious how others are perceiving this Brave New PS World ....

ETA: I've been delighted with my one Preloved purchase & can't imagine re-selling .. even if it would be profitable or if something new catches my eye. Never say never, though ... right?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I'm just so glad you love the thing you bought from me! There is a pink tourmaline ring that has traveled everywhere and is for sale again....it's AMAZING (I owned it for about 8 months) so I'm happy that so many people have gotten to own it. I like the history, and it makes me feel a connection to all these people that I "know" but I don't know.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If all the specs met my snobby standards I would buy a diamond from a known member here.
I doubt I'd want anything that was set since it almost certainly would be intended for a woman to wear.

I'm very sensitive to being ripped off and have never bought anything on eBay.
Buying from a known PS member increases my comfort level. (Thanks Andrey for the new seller's forum :wavey: )

The idea of buying something below retail from someone I trust is VERY attractive.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1323016366|3073912 said:
I'm just so glad you love the thing you bought from me!
:appl: Oh how I DOOOOOOO. Hasn't left my person since it arrived. (So you can't be sure I won't be posting micro pictures of my bodily funk all over it.) HA! Have to break free long enough for some de-funking, primpage & photo taking. :bigsmile:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
One of my friends purchased a colored stone from packrat off DB right before the Preloved forum came about. I know that at least 3 PSers had their hands on that stone before it came to my friend, but it was just because it wasn't "right" for any of them. It's now found a home with her and she wears it every day in a lovely custom DanielM setting. So even if I knew the stone/ring/jewelry item had been in a few hands before it came to me, I'd have no problem with it, as long as I loved it!

...unless, of course, it had bad juju. :wacko: ;))

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I think I'd be less interested in something that has changed hands several times. I think the few pieces that I own are very special TO ME, and I think a piece would seem less special if it's traveled through a few hands in a short period of time. I am, however, sometimes amazed at how many pieces some PS'ers buy, but also at how fickle some of us are! It may just be that people seem like they are buying a lot, but they are actually buying and SELLING a lot too. More than I realized prior to the PL forum anyway.

Deco - What did you buy????

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1323017980|3073932 said:
Deco - What did you buy????
I'm afraid of the lynch mob if I confess! :devil: :tongue:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't care if something was brand new to the seller, or had been around the block, if it was something I liked and wanted for myself. The great thing about having a pre-loved section is that people get the opportunity to try things that are new to them, and if they find they want something different, they can unload and move on. PS'ers do love to change it up often. ;))

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I have no problems with a previous owner (or four) associated with a piece of jewelry. If it's a piece that I love, that is in good shape, and at an appropriate price, I'm a very happy camper.

I also tend to change my mind, and trade things in, buy new pieces, and sell older ones. I don't see the point of keeping hings around that I don't wear and enjoy, especially if it could fund the purchase of something else I love more.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from a fellow PSer if it was something I loved. I totally get the desire for buying new (to you) jewelry and not wearing everything you have as much as you might have thought so deciding to let someone else enjoy it. My problem is I tend to be a hoarder and I think I would have a hard time parting with my jewelry-even the pieces I don't wear. I am happy that I sold my 3 previous platinum ER settings recently (to my jeweler) to free up some cash to make another jewelry purchase so maybe that means I can eventually part with some of the other jewelry I never wear. And buy something else! :Up_to_something:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1323017980|3073932 said:
Hmm, I think I'd be less interested in something that has changed hands several times. I think the few pieces that I own are very special TO ME, and I think a piece would seem less special if it's traveled through a few hands in a short period of time.

I got this tourmaline that had two prior PS owners who never set it. It's so special now because it's my "signature" piece and I'll never part with it. The fact that they owned it before me only affected the price I paid (actually it was a swap, even better!).
top%20reduced.jpg

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
There was one stunning piece that I passed on because of who owned it previously. The person was known for being rude and snotty to people and as beautiful as the piece was, I didn't want to think of the negatives when I saw it. So yes, it does effect my decision

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Miss Sparkly|1323020847|3073959 said:
There was one stunning piece that I passed on because of who owned it previously. The person was known for being rude and snotty to people and as beautiful as the piece was, I didn't want to think of the negatives when I saw it. So yes, it does effect my decision

I see your point but it works both ways. The Krupp diamond was originally owned by the wife of a Nazi war criminal, when it came up for sale Liz Taylor said, "The Krupp family knocked off a ton of jews so I thought of how great it would be if a nice Jewish girl like me were to own it!".

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if I would buy something from a seller I don't get along with. As for it being around the block a few times... I might buy it if the price was right but I would wonder what was so wrong with it that nobody wanted to keep it.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have no problem buying pre-owned stuff; in fact, I prefer it because they're usually discounted a lot. It doesn't matter to me how many times it's been passed around or who owned it before as long as it's cheap enough and not significantly damaged. I don't really believe in bad juju or anything like that. However, for my engagement and wedding rings, I did want to have a brand-new stone and setting because it symbolized the beginning of our new life together, and it's something I'll wear every day.

ETA: While I have no problem with buying, selling is another issue entirely. I can't seem to part with anything I buy, so when I do buy, it's forever.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is an assumption underlying your post, Deco. Can you spot it? ;))

I think your question implies there is something wrong with selling jewelery after a short time, or something wrong with not keeping items forever and ever like Gollem :tongue: I am glad YOU will never ever sell the item you bought on DB. But why do you care if others do? And don't try to say you don't judge when people sell quickly, or perhaps at all ;)) Clearly you are a hoarder. Don't hate on the "fickle pickles"!

People vary (TM Kenny).

Life situations change.

Sad circumstances arise.

The interesting conundrum of the Pre-Loved forum is that people get up in arms if you post a reason for selling that even HINTS at negative life situation ("WAAAH you are manipulating us!"), but if you post something for sale with no reason at all, you get messages from buyers asking "Is there anything wrong with this item? Why are you selling?" What is a seller to do?

Sincerely,

Fickle Pickle

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am so so so sad that I missed NeatFreak's ring, you have no idea. If whoever bought that baby ever decides to resell it, I am there like a FLASH.

So, no, the history of a piece wouldn't bother me - the only thing that matters to me is the piece itself. I figure we make our own memories ....

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
lyra|1323019446|3073947 said:
I wouldn't care if something was brand new to the seller, or had been around the block, if it was something I liked and wanted for myself. The great thing about having a pre-loved section is that people get the opportunity to try things that are new to them, and if they find they want something different, they can unload and move on. PS'ers do love to change it up often. ;))

couldn't agree more with this post! I think PSers by nature are fickle- change their mind- want to have it all!! So its natural for things to change hands. As long as it was something that fit my budget- was a good deal- and something I realy wanted, I don't care who or how many others have owned it previously.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1323024848|3073992 said:
There is an assumption underlying your post, Deco. Can you spot it? ;))

I think your question implies there is something wrong with selling jewelery after a short time, or something wrong with not keeping items forever and ever like Gollem :tongue: I am glad YOU will never ever sell the item you bought on DB. But why do you care if others do? And don't try to say you don't judge when people sell quickly, or perhaps at all ;)) Clearly you are a hoarder. Don't hate on the "fickle pickles"!

People vary (TM Kenny).

Life situations change.

Sad circumstances arise.

The interesting conundrum of the Pre-Loved forum is that people get up in arms if you post a reason for selling that even HINTS at negative life situation ("WAAAH you are manipulating us!"), but if you post something for sale with no reason at all, you get messages from buyers asking "Is there anything wrong with this item? Why are you selling?" What is a seller to do?

Sincerely,

Fickle Pickle

Sooo true! When I see a piece for sale that a PSer has had for a while, and loved, and raved about- if they dont post a reason for the sale I naturally wonder- what has made them change their mind. Hey- when I saw your dream band for sale and then ou said the semi-bezel was next- I immediately wondered why- and what better and bigger has caught your eye... it's a natural thing to wonder, I think at least... :)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1323021225|3073962 said:
Miss Sparkly|1323020847|3073959 said:

I see your point but it works both ways. The Krupp diamond was originally owned by the wife of a Nazi war criminal, when it came up for sale Liz Taylor said, "The Krupp family knocked off a ton of jews so I thought of how great it would be if a nice Jewish girl like me were to own it!".

Ha-love it! I didn't know that!

I don't have an issue buying pre-loved! I like the fickle pickles because they save me money! :cheeky: Before the pre-loved PS forum came about I bought 2 Leon Mege bands from DiamondBistro, including one that was a wedding band from a broken engagement. Since it's not my e-ring or wedding band, I don't mind at all.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1323017442|3073924 said:
One of my friends purchased a colored stone from packrat off DB right before the Preloved forum came about. I know that at least 3 PSers had their hands on that stone before it came to my friend, but it was just because it wasn't "right" for any of them. It's now found a home with her and she wears it every day in a lovely custom DanielM setting. So even if I knew the stone/ring/jewelry item had been in a few hands before it came to me, I'd have no problem with it, as long as I loved it!

...unless, of course, it had bad juju. :wacko: ;))

Oh that's so nice! Which stone was it-the round mint tourm? Did she post pics and I missed them?

I don't really wonder if there's something wrong w/a piece if it's for sale again, if it's a higher dollar item then I tend to think oh no, I hope nothings wrong with *them*, like unexpected bills or something, b/c I know how hard it is to part w/some of the pieces.

In the case of the Aurora, when I saw it listed I got that topsy turvy feeling in my stomach and *almost* wished I hadn't just gotten done paying for four AVC's for my band so I could get it instead.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1323022082|3073968 said:
I'm not sure if I would buy something from a seller I don't get along with.

Are you joking?
If the item and the price are groovy, why not buy it?
You are not marring the jerk selling it.

I admire Liz Taylor's ability to put a former owner of the Krupp diamond (a Nazi wife) into perspective and turn a negative into a positive.
After all, all this baggage is just junk in our heads - so why not be victor over it instead of victim of it?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1323031217|3074048 said:

Are you joking?

I admire Liz Taylor's ability to put a former owner of the Krupp diamond (a Nazi wife) into perspective and turn a negative into a positive.
After all, all this baggage is just junk in our heads - so why not be victor over it instead of victim of it?

Nope, not joking. I wouldn't want to work with a vendor if I didn't get along with them either. Just how I feel really. :))

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I TOTALLY agree with you Maisie. There are just a couple people that really irk me on PS, therefore, I would never buy from them. Just wouldn't be able to do it, no matter how great the deal was!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1323031453|3074049 said:

Are you joking?

Nope, not joking. I wouldn't want to work with a vendor if I didn't get along with them either. Just how I feel really. :))
No problem.

I would gladly buy from a vendor I don't "get along with".
In fact I have.
I had a problem with Jonathan from GOG, but when my asscher came along it was ALL about the diamond and the price.
Business is business and I'm not petty, nasty or revengeful.
It's all about the goods and the price.

I would never however buy from a vendor who demonstrated years of unethical behavior related to how they do business or post.

But again, no problem.
People vary.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
My gemstone collection used to be HUGE and quite extensive. Now that I have SLE Lupus, I'll never set all of those beauties and have lots of medical bills to pay. I have asked Freke to sell them for me and she has been doing so for the past couple of years. My wish is that they go to good homes where they will be loved and enjoyed.

I will still collect gemstones, but not like I used to.

Lori

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1323032214|3074052 said:

Are you joking?

No problem.

I would gladly buy from a vendor I don't "get along with".
In fact I have.
I had a problem with Jonathan from GOG, but when my asscher came along it was ALL about the diamond and the price.
Business is business and I'm not petty, nasty or revengeful.
It's all about the goods and the price.

I would never however buy from a vendor who demonstrated years of unethical behavior related to how they do business or post.

But again, no problem.
People vary.

I'm not petty, nasty or revengeful either. There is only one vendor I wouldn't work with and thats because one of their staff members was snotty with me once. Its off putting.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you joking?

Sounds reasonable to me. I wouldn't either.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I see a piece making the rounds, I only worry if it seems like each owner seems to have it a very short period of time.

I have been watching pieces be bought or sold on DB for around 5 years now. Some only re-appear every couple years, but some seem to hot-potato around very few months, any every rare once in a while that hot-potatoed piece will be listed with some new disclosure of a flaw, "e.g., sold to me as H but I think it's more like a K." So yes, I do wonder a little about hot-potatoed pieces. Maybe not on swap 1 or 2, but 3+? I would at least want new (and copious and high-quality) pics, not re-used from 3 sellers ago.

OTOH there is a pair of bezel studs that I am waiting to re-emerge, hopefully next summer when I have the money for them! They were perfect, the timing was just bad. I got my e-ring diamond under similar circumstances; saw it listed about a year before we were seriously ready to be shopping for an engagement ring, but I knew the stone was just... my stone. Sure enough, it was listed again when we were ready for it.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no problem at all with buying something that has been "around the block" a few times, if I like it and I want it then why not...the only thing I have to admit that amazes me is how sometimes people buy things and then turn around and sell them so quickly, that is the only thing that stumps me sometimes.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results