shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your turquoise jewelry!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a ring that my grandmother gave to me when I was a teenager. It is 21k gold from Syria, with Arabic marks inside.
IMG_20180309_214541.jpg

Here's a better photo of this ring.
I gushed over this ring and she finally took it off and gave it to me. I miss her so much.
IMG_20220205_113105941~2.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You kill me!! :lol-2: Girl I wish we lived on the same side of "the pond!" Oh the glorious damage we could do at Santa Fe Indian Market. :hand: I'm using that emoji as a high five from now on, BTW. lol

DW and I really enjoyed looking at all the fabulous turquoise pieces that were posted in this thread back when it first started. In particular @Bluegemz showed us some mind blowingly beautiful Native American pieces. At that time, we started to look for turquoise, but nothing came close to those pieces, and we kind of gave up.

This thread revival has definitely piqued our interest again, and we are considering a turquoise hunting trip to New Mexico later this year. I've heard about the Santa Fe Indian Market, in fact @stracci2000 was there earlier in this thread and showed some of the beautiful pieces her friend had made and was exhibiting there!

I had thought it might be best to avoid the Indian Market because Santa Fe would be packed with crowds of people. Now I'm wondering if it might be the best time to go, in spite of the crowds.

Thoughts please. :wavey:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
DW and I really enjoyed looking at all the fabulous turquoise pieces that were posted in this thread back when it first started. In particular @Bluegemz showed us some mind blowingly beautiful Native American pieces. At that time, we started to look for turquoise, but nothing came close to those pieces, and we kind of gave up.

This thread revival has definitely piqued our interest again, and we are considering a turquoise hunting trip to New Mexico later this year. I've heard about the Santa Fe Indian Market, in fact @stracci2000 was there earlier in this thread and showed some of the beautiful pieces her friend had made and was exhibiting there!

I had thought it might be best to avoid the Indian Market because Santa Fe would be packed with crowds of people. Now I'm wondering if it might be the best time to go, in spite of the crowds.

Thoughts please. :wavey:

Just be sensible and careful
maybe go early in the day before it gets crowded or allow an extra day for your trip incase its too crowded that day at the market and its safer to leave than stay check to jowl with the masses

Hi @prs! Great post. So visiting Santa Fe at any time of year is a worthwhile event, and you'll enjoy yourself tremendously. But Indian Market is truly something special. I definitely encourage you to attend. Like Daisys and Diamonds said, just be sensible about it. I can only speak for myself, but after being triple vaxxed, I feel like I've done everything I can to protect myself and others. Life has to go on. Not sure if that's what you were referring to, but thought it was worth a mention. In summary, GO! You'll positively love it. Remember to stay hydrated and pace yourself. It's 7k ft. above sea level, and the elevation can affect some visitors who aren't acclimated to that altitude. And be sure to have the blue corn pancakes at Tia Sophia's!! :drool:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just be sensible and careful
maybe go early in the day before it gets crowded or allow an extra day for your trip incase its too crowded that day at the market and its safer to leave than stay check to jowl with the masses

The Market is in August, and hopefully the latest surge will be well and truly over by then. We too are triple vaxxed, but for sure we won't be making any non-refundable reservations. :lol-2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@prs, you must go to Indian Market!
It will be held on August 20-21 this summer.
So much fun! And like @Autumn in New England mentioned, the altitude is high and the New Mexico sun is intense.
The event is free, but you must pay to park, which is not a big deal.
We usually take the train up from Albuquerque.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can’t be online long but wanted to share what came! SB turquoise ring (inclined to believe it actually is fully natural), loose triangle (and half polished) Arizona turquoise from the same seller, that’s definitely fully natural - it’s so porous I could snap it with my fingers!

Lastly nacozari turq earrings, seller says it’s fully natural (she has same supplier for 25 years) but I’m certain they’re stabilised. I paid enough knowing they’re most likely stabilised (have done acetone test, no colour coming off so I’m thinking natural colour but would love your thoughts @Autumn in New England pleaseeeee) I love the look of them so keeping them!

I realised it’d be good to have some “samples” in the hand to work with to help me learn more about turquoise, so I’m trying to buy a range (stabilised, natural, known Zachery treated, possibly block etc) so I can examine these things in the hand as well as read about them. Ok pictures! 9783346C-C2E0-4877-ADAB-9AD0EFD1C31E.jpeg

Attachments

• 9D8B833F-C7BF-4751-A76A-8CB2195AFE70.jpeg
    9D8B833F-C7BF-4751-A76A-8CB2195AFE70.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 15

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ETA my pictures are showing the colours as more saturated /deeper then they actually are.

Oh big congrats, my friend!! Yummy, yummy! :love: The ring is just FAB. Loving the cab too, and the earrings have a really cool coloration. Classic Nacozari. So it's difficult to say definitively about treatments just by looking at pix, but I'd say it's entirely possible the earrings are untreated. Nothing in just looking at them is telling me otherwise. Same for the SB. One thing I can tell you for sure... certainly not block material! That stuff is garish and very conspicuous!! I love how eager you are to acquaint yourself with different types and qualities of turq. It's truly the only way to learn!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t be online long but wanted to share what came! SB turquoise ring (inclined to believe it actually is fully natural), loose triangle (and half polished) Arizona turquoise from the same seller, that’s definitely fully natural - it’s so porous I could snap it with my fingers!

Lastly nacozari turq earrings, seller says it’s fully natural (she has same supplier for 25 years) but I’m certain they’re stabilised. I paid enough knowing they’re most likely stabilised (have done acetone test, no colour coming off so I’m thinking natural colour but would love your thoughts @Autumn in New England pleaseeeee) I love the look of them so keeping them!

I realised it’d be good to have some “samples” in the hand to work with to help me learn more about turquoise, so I’m trying to buy a range (stabilised, natural, known Zachery treated, possibly block etc) so I can examine these things in the hand as well as read about them. Ok pictures! 9783346C-C2E0-4877-ADAB-9AD0EFD1C31E.jpeg

All are gorgeous! I would love to see a handshot with the ring!!!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used to think that beautiful turquoise began and ended with pure blue Sleeping Beauty, and that a visible matrix in any stone was a flaw to be avoided, Recent posts have opened my eyes to the fact the matrix can be beautiful, in the same way an ancient mosaic can be beautiful. Turquoise seems to be similar to jadeite in that the more you learn about it, the more you come to be able to recognize and appreciate all the different nuances that contribute to the overall beauty of a stone.

This magnificently long post by AINE was one of those that opened my eyes and will likely be responsible for making quite a dent in my wallet. Thank goodness the best turquoise is much less expensive than the best jadeite, and a whole lot more available. :lol-2:

I should mention... turq grades pretty much consist of hard and soft. That's it. Color and patterning is all a matter of one's tastes and what speaks to you. So, hard turq (not in need of stabilization) = high-grade turq. Forgive me if you guys already know all of this. Turq talk just gets me super excited and I start to ramble. hee hee

Here are some examples of untreated American stones. These are all XL, so variety is out there!

Water web kingman (a favorite)... note how the matrix is darker blue and white. Kingman's matrix is often dyed black. That is still acceptable as "natural" in the trade though, because the turq itself is left untreated with only the host rock being dyed. I really don't understand why they do it (for contrast, I suppose). But I vastly prefer the white matrix!

45577b32-6f23-47c8-a7c5-9498ca014c88_zps851f19yi.jpg

Red web kingman. This matrix is natural color as well.

f91b016f-efaa-460d-9386-3c3dd9f5f752_zpsbrmxsehl.jpg

Royston. One of the few that comes in bi-color nuggets.

5ac6cc1a-4238-45fa-a7f6-66e5551ed61a_zpsexde7zw5.jpg

c82a2b32-f62c-413b-9655-e4f0f2a5b5e4_zps1t3mct5x.jpg

HartmanRoystonPendant1_zpsobicvzk9.jpg

Carico lake (the blue is birdseye kingman with blackened matrix).

Resized_20211110_135533_12721695880634667.jpg

A huge hunk of carico lake I cut myself from a giant boulder... it's 2.5" long! Not the coveted lime green, but still really interesting, IMO.

icm_fullxfull.202007973_kz5kk3qe9a804ckk44k4.jpg

Large battle mountain stone I cut and have yet to set. This material is known for being a "high" blue, which means pure and saturated!

download (3)3.jpg

Dry creek (also known as "white turq," but it's truly a pale blue-green). Super hard and never treated!

download (2)2.jpg

Number 8... the "old mine" colors were deeper. The new material is lighter. But the matrix is often really symmetrical and even, which I love.

732c4927-b356-4c09-b2a0-4d6f1fc22f26_zpsmspwrxnj.jpg

Golden hill (from Kazakhstan)... periwinkle blue with red matrix... never treated because it's such hard material.

download (1)1.jpg

RandallEnditoGoldenHillTurqNecklace1.jpg

Sonoran gold (Mexico). Got its name because of the yellow-ish matrix... often bi-color. Fairly new to the market and so gorgeous! Plentiful in large sizes and untreated!

Resized_20201126_1159222.jpg

And, lastly, this large cab is stabilized, but I love it so much, I had to include it. It's Egyptian (Sinai)... bought it from Earthfire Gems in Santa Fe. This material is just impossibly blue with chocolatey matrix. I am setting it in gold eventually, when the pocketbook permits!

download2865.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Today I found this huge Sleeping Beauty ring in a pawn shop, $50! Are they crazy? I guess so! Marked "BVL" on the back, gotta research that maker.
IMG_20220210_154002941.jpg IMG_20220210_154006674.jpg

What a great find!! This is what caused me to make my previous post. Now I am able to recognize and appreciate this is indeed a beautiful piece of turquoise!

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
I used to think that beautiful turquoise began and ended with pure blue Sleeping Beauty, and that a visible matrix in any stone was a flaw to be avoided, Recent posts have opened my eyes to the fact the matrix can be beautiful, in the same way an ancient mosaic can be beautiful. Turquoise seems to be similar to jadeite in that the more you learn about it, the more you come to be able to recognize and appreciate all the different nuances that contribute to the overall beauty of a stone.
:lol-2:

I think many of us start with liking a specific gem in a specific way and over time our tastes change. It can be a long process due to trade ideals/marketing, and our own personal biases. I can see this process happening with me though.

This magnificently long post by AINE was one of those that opened my eyes and will likely be responsible for making quite a dent in my wallet. Thank goodness the best turquoise is much less expensive than the best jadeite, and a whole lot more available. :lol-2:

Aww aren't you sweet to say so, my friend! I'm so thrilled and honored to be a tiny part of your new turq journey!! And I think we all begin that way... I disliked any matrix at first, as well. Now I can't believe I ever felt that way! Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you discover!! :appl:

P.S. Oh that's a big draw for me... my faceted gem obsession is so cost-prohibitive. But you can find the very finest turq for such an appealing price, relatively speaking. Yay for us!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It just occurred to me DW does have a turquoise piece to share. I had always thought of it as an amethyst piece, but for sure the turquoise is essential to its beauty. Maybe both the amethyst and the turquoise originated in the Southeast?

Amethyst Pendant 30.59ct 1.jpg

Amethyst Pendant B.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results