shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your turquoise jewelry!

@theredspinel

Sonoran gold is definitely available unstabilized and in large cabs! So here's the thing. When a new strike of turq is found, like SG, the highest quality, hardest turq is going to be the first material out of the ground. So now is the time to buy. Once the material nearest the surface is mined out, and they have to start excavating, that's when the softer material is found, which is more likely to require stabilization. Please let me know what you find!! The bi-color lime green and sky blue stones are my fave. And the matrix is yellow, which is where the name comes from! :appl:

@Autumn in New England let the games begin….

0D5BF4FA-B745-4613-B1E3-6863110CE781.jpeg

And bonus pic including a pink tourmaline and black opal rings (because those 3 rings were the rings I was prancing around the house in when this heart stopper I mean, turquoise arrived)!

423BB4F7-C067-40BB-A249-6D2D908B933B.jpeg

Suffice to say I am well and truly *hooked*. Mesmerised. Overjoyed. Speechless. This is the stuff dreams are made off… Now whose suddenly feeling up for a holiday to the Caribbean?!!

ETA: what I can’t take a good picture of is how the matrix sparkles and glitters, it’s unbelievable. When I run my fingers across it I can feel the ridges between the matrix and where the turquoise is, it’s so grounding. I could play with it all day but I’m really trying hard not to keep touching it with my heavily hand creamed fingers!!

Oh ok, WOW. I am in LOVE with this stone!! The matrix, the color, the luster. And I love that it's a pear set east-west. So unique! And, again, love that dreamy larimar piece. The black opal ring is off the hook, my friend! You have some incredible goodies there. Big congrats!! *happy dance*

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@theredspinel

Sonoran gold is definitely available unstabilized and in large cabs! So here's the thing. When a new strike of turq is found, like SG, the highest quality, hardest turq is going to be the first material out of the ground. So now is the time to buy. Once the material nearest the surface is mined out, and they have to start excavating, that's when the softer material is found, which is more likely to require stabilization. Please let me know what you find!! The bi-color lime green and sky blue stones are my fave. And the matrix is yellow, which is where the name comes from! :appl:

Hi @Autumn in New England ! I was so upset the other day, I missed out on a perfect piece of Sonoran gold because I spent the night thinking it over! Oh it had the bright blue smudges around the edges, nestled in the glorious lime green, with a perfect crisp yellow bit of matrix right in the center - it was the perfect stone :boohoo::cry2:

ETA oh and the ring was Nevajo made with artists signature and everything!

After that upset, and seeing someone had added the following SB ring into their basket I made a rebound (?) purchase and brought it! I would love your opinions on this, the seller is the first lapidary person I’ve met that’s in the UK which is great, so he cut and polished this stone himself. He assures it’s not stabilised nor treated in any other way.

It’s set in solid 14k gold (so that’s eaten into the budget quite a bit and if I keep this ring that’ll be my short but amazing turquoise shopping spree coming to an abrupt end for the next few months)! What do you think, a keeper or not?

D5237CEC-6EA0-4F2B-9626-D40010ACD36F.jpeg

Attachments

• B466F652-1E46-4FCF-9A5A-7E370D60C602.jpeg
    B466F652-1E46-4FCF-9A5A-7E370D60C602.jpeg
    524.5 KB · Views: 20
  • EFBF4CF3-E210-450F-8922-0F955B344D2D.jpeg
    EFBF4CF3-E210-450F-8922-0F955B344D2D.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 17

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
So after everything I just said about preferring the blue greeny ones, my eye gets caught by the glow of this:

5E2C7B00-D646-48A7-8B6D-783BD7DE757D.jpeg

Ai ai ai. What is happening to me. If I may be so bold and rude @Autumn in New England to ask you for your opinion on this stone, please?! It’s being presented as SB and completely untreated/natural.

*insert head smacking, worried looking, in the grips of a full on obsession* looking face here.

Question- do you know the rough dimensions of the stone?

I am feeling inspired to make a huge bezel set turquoise ring in yellow gold and am looking at inspiration pics. How big is too big?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Question- do you know the rough dimensions of the stone?

I am feeling inspired to make a huge bezel set turquoise ring in yellow gold and am looking at inspiration pics. How big is too big?

Hey @FL_runner ooh how exciting! This stone is 13x10mm so not huge but not that dinky either!

I LOVE big pieces of turquoise. Well, I love the look of them, I don’t know if I’d ever buy/wear a huge piece though…. But that’s probably more of a confidence thing! Hopefully one day I’ll work my way up to a huge piece.

Do you know what kind / colour etc of turquoise you might go for? I’m so in love with matrix in stones now, and all the different shades :kiss2:

One day I’d love to own something like this:

Attachments

• CCF72687-EFF9-4DD3-B3C3-19CA069FEBA3.jpeg
    CCF72687-EFF9-4DD3-B3C3-19CA069FEBA3.jpeg
    992.3 KB · Views: 14

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Hey @FL_runner ooh how exciting! This stone is 13x10mm so not huge but not that dinky either!

I LOVE big pieces of turquoise. Well, I love the look of them, I don’t know if I’d ever buy/wear a huge piece though…. But that’s probably more of a confidence thing! Hopefully one day I’ll work my way up to a huge piece.

Do you know what kind / colour etc of turquoise you might go for? I’m so in love with matrix in stones now, and all the different shades :kiss2:

One day I’d love to own something like this:

I’m not sure yet! I wish I could see more in person, honestly!!!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@theredspinel
I'm excited to see what turquoise stones and projects you are working on.
It's interesting how attitudes vary on that other forum....everyone thinks their opinion is right! Just educate yourself and make purchases that please YOU!

Oh @stracci2000 its an absolute minefield! Are you talking about the Facebook one? Or the Native American one? (I had no idea turquoise in the US was so intertwined with NA culture)!

It’s definitely soo much to learn, it’s fun, but it’s also a bit stressful. I think I’m wanting to see as much turquoise as I can, as fast as I can… and that’s never a good way to go! I havnt been this obsessed with something since I first joined PS haha and wanted untreated coloured stones.

I’ve decided to stop obsessively wanting to buy something for the time being! (I know, I know, I said I’d stop after that ring.. :errrr::twisted2::knockout:) but now I’m looking at antique jewellery :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh @stracci2000 its an absolute minefield! Are you talking about the Facebook one? Or the Native American one? (I had no idea turquoise in the US was so intertwined with NA culture)!

It’s definitely soo much to learn, it’s fun, but it’s also a bit stressful. I think I’m wanting to see as much turquoise as I can, as fast as I can… and that’s never a good way to go! I havnt been this obsessed with something since I first joined PS haha and wanted untreated coloured stones.

I’ve decided to stop obsessively wanting to buy something for the time being! (I know, I know, I said I’d stop after that ring.. :errrr::twisted2::knockout:) but now I’m looking at antique jewellery :lol:

turquoise and pearls were a big Victorian thing
Just pointing you in an interesting direction ;)2 =)2

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or the Native American one? (I had no idea turquoise in the US was so intertwined with NA culture)!

Yes, I was referring the Native American site.
They can get pretty picky over there.
Native jewelry is a BIG deal in the US southwest, where I live.
When the Spanish came to this region, they basically took over and tried to eliminate the Native population. But that's a sad story for another day.
But during that Spanish Colonial time, they taught the Southwestern tribes the art of silversmithing. And since turquoise was already being used for jewelry, the two were a perfect match, and the tribes developed their own unique styles.

And by the way, turquoise is our state gem!
gettyimages-1069425640-612x612.jpg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
When the Spanish came to this region, they basically took over and tried to eliminate the Native population. But that's a sad story for another day.
But during that Spanish Colonial time, they taught the Southwestern tribes the art of silversmithing. And since turquoise was already being used for jewelry, the two were a perfect match, and the tribes developed their own unique styles.

Beautiful colour
I love that long ring

I have a very fake $10 one that tells me i would love a real one !

I would wear the cuffs too

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Wow thank you for this, the history is fascinating. Isn’t it crazy what you can learn in the tangents when you start learning about one thing!! After starting to learn about turquoise I’ve “discovered” or I should say really delved into the Native Americans, now even the term ‘Southwest’, I googled it…. Being in the uk you hear of these words but never really actually know any detail about what they mean!

Oh we've all missed out on that "one perfect piece" before! I can definitely sympathize, @theredspinel. But, the truth is, there will always be another, and next time you will be prepared to pounce like a ravenous lion! :wink2:

That's a lovely new find, my friend! I'd say maybe only 15% (if that) of turq is set in gold, so it's always nice to find a piece that speaks to you. I adore all colors of turq, but I agree... there's something about those high blues! Congrats and enjoy!! :)

Some great posts on this thread... enjoying reading them all!!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
turquoise and pearls were a big Victorian thing
Just pointing you in an interesting direction ;)2 =)2

Oh I don’t know how I missed this post @Daisys and Diamonds ! Yes!! I have found this whilst looking at antique jewellery, especially true of seed pearls. It’s a good thing I love pearls, turquoise, now antique jewellery… this obsession takes me to so many different places :lol:

ETA I love love love ornate jewellery, so I’m really falling in love with Victorian and Art Deco necklaces oof *heart eyes*!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh we've all missed out on that "one perfect piece" before! I can definitely sympathize, @theredspinel. But, the truth is, there will always be another, and next time you will be prepared to pounce like a ravenous lion! :wink2:

That's a lovely new find, my friend! I'd say maybe only 15% (if that) of turq is set in gold, so it's always nice to find a piece that speaks to you. I adore all colors of turq, but I agree... there's something about those high blues! Congrats and enjoy!! :)

Some great posts on this thread... enjoying reading them all!!

You are so right, there is always another “perfect” stone! Isn’t it crazy how when we get so into a thing - we must just have it all :lol: right now!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
My vintage bracelet came and I am in love!!! Full hinged bangle with a safety clasp and fits nicely! I love the diamond/zigzag from the side view. The stones are fairly well matched and appear to have aged well :) 650A0125-EFA9-4E4A-B31E-199B851E45FB.jpeg

Attachments

• 8595C9D4-CE5B-4598-A1A2-A2AEE9DB2180.jpeg
    8595C9D4-CE5B-4598-A1A2-A2AEE9DB2180.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 88A20939-E6CE-408A-B143-8A91A5DF534F.jpeg
    88A20939-E6CE-408A-B143-8A91A5DF534F.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 28F6D373-D366-434B-8F70-A4E64A6BD4BD.jpeg
    28F6D373-D366-434B-8F70-A4E64A6BD4BD.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 444313BD-B9B7-47C8-A317-2E427ED7415C.jpeg
    444313BD-B9B7-47C8-A317-2E427ED7415C.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 29

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vintage bracelet came and I am in love!!! Full hinged bangle with a safety clasp and fits nicely! I love the diamond/zigzag from the side view. The stones are fairly well matched and appear to have aged well :) 650A0125-EFA9-4E4A-B31E-199B851E45FB.jpeg

Oooooohhh! I love it so much!!

Hi @stracci2000! Cool necklace (love the heishi beads)!! So, no, I don't think it's wishful thinking to say that material could be bisbee. Was it sold to you as such? That mine tends to produce bluer stones. But I've seen blue-green. I can't say definitively, but the color of the matrix does have that unique chocolatey look of bisbee. The host rock almost has a subtle purply tone to it, do you know what I mean? But whatever their origin... lovely! Enjoy!!

P.S. This is the bluer variety, but see the matrix? Doesn't it have a unique hue? Sort of like an aubergine-brown. Very mine specific.

TMz49Lw_1bfb90ad-e093-4702-9a97-f8294181518a_800x.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Beautiful colour

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @stracci2000! Cool necklace (love the heishi beads)!! So, no, I don't think it's wishful thinking to say that material could be bisbee. Was it sold to you as such? That mine tends to produce bluer stones. But I've seen blue-green. I can't say definitively, but the color of the matrix does have that unique chocolatey look of bisbee. The host rock almost has a subtle purply tone to it, do you know what I mean? But whatever their origin... lovely! Enjoy!!

P.S. This is the bluer variety, but see the matrix? Doesn't it have a unique hue? Sort of like an aubergine-brown. Very mine specific.

TMz49Lw_1bfb90ad-e093-4702-9a97-f8294181518a_800x.jpg

@Autumn in New England
Thank you for your assessment! I'm happy to hear that it could be Bisbee.
This necklace belonged to my mother in law.
I have no idea where she got it. She had quite a bit of Native jewelry, some pieces better than others.
I have been looking at turquoise online, trying to familiarize myself with the varieties from the mines. I plan on checking some pawn shops in my area and want to be able to ID the turquoise!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Wow this is absolutely stunning!!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Oh how I love vintage Zuni turquoise jewelry. Here are a few of my things. My favorite cuff from the 1940's in a snow flake pattern, and a smaller, sunflower cuff, some earrings, and a pure silver squash blossom cuff which my grandmother made. The largest one which I'm wearing, with the silver sweater, is not mine, but one that I would love to have.

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

Amazing collection! And are those rose quartz beads I spy? Would love a closer look!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Again so glad this thread has been revived- it inspired me to pull this out today:

1E210795-03B7-48C5-A8A3-8E7580320D45.jpeg
8C98CF3B-FC0E-4D00-A9FF-D75D78585492.jpeg
B7869B83-F8ED-4220-AB5D-6F91DF4E971D.jpeg

I have a soft spot for this ring it’s fabulous!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have a soft spot for this ring it’s fabulous!

I can see that; it’s going in a similar direction as your green marble ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results