shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your turquoise jewelry!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is positively STUNNING, @prs! What are the yellow accent stones?

The setting is 18K yellow gold. Likely not Native American made, unfortunately.

There was a time when a lot of high-end amethyst and turquoise jewelry was made. I think this was when Siberia was the only source for amethyst. Once large deposits of amethyst were discovered elsewhere the price plummeted, and it was no longer good enough for the Lords and Ladies!

Yeah! for the plebs. :lol-2:

Azore Jewellery

Rough_Rock
So I'm going to have these 2 unstabilized, number 8 cabochons bezel set in 14k gold pendant. I'm also adding a few demantoid garnets to the bottom of the bezel skirt. These are from Yevonne Raley. I think turquoise and green looks great together! See attached pics.

IMG_2748.JPG

IMG_2753.PNG
Hello! I know this thread is really old... but i came across it and was curious... you mention unstabilizing turquoise. Can you tell me how that's done? And why you'd want to do that?

thank you

Hello! I know this thread is really old... but i came across it and was curious... you mention unstabilizing turquoise. Can you tell me how that's done? And why you'd want to do that?

thank you

Hi there! So I think what Bluegemz was referring to was that those 2 cabochons were natural turquoise that was merely cut and polished out of the ground. And so they are "unstabilized," as in "not stabilized." Stabilization, as it pertains to turquoise, is when softer material is impregnated with colorless resin to improve hardness. It can also refer to something called the "Zachary" method, which uses an electrochemical process to preserve turq color and reduce porosity, without the need for epoxy and the like. Once turquoise has been stabilized, the treatment is permanent and cannot be undone. Hope this helps!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It just occurred to me DW does have a turquoise piece to share. I had always thought of it as an amethyst piece, but for sure the turquoise is essential to its beauty. Maybe both the amethyst and the turquoise originated in the Southeast?

Amethyst Pendant 30.59ct 1.jpg

Amethyst Pendant B.jpg

Wow! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
Ive seen turquoise looking lovelly with blue sapphires but had never given amethyst and turquoise any thought before this very moment
Im now seeimg a completly new colour palette

Reactions: prs

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The setting is 18K yellow gold. Likely not Native American made, unfortunately.

There was a time when a lot of high-end amethyst and turquoise jewelry was made. I think this was when Siberia was the only source for amethyst. Once large deposits of amethyst were discovered elsewhere the price plummeted, and it was no longer good enough for the Lords and Ladies!

Yeah! for the plebs. :lol-2:

More for us
although i do wish the Queen (still) had an amethyst tiara in the vault
Actually come to think of if i hope the turquoise one last seen on Princess Margaret is safely back in there

Reactions: prs

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the color of turquoise. I haven't set it yet, but this is sleeping beauty. I agree the matrix can be beautiful but for this ring I wanted pure color.
Screenshot_20220215-151408_Gallery.jpg

It's a gorgeous stone!

If at some point you would feel OK sharing the vendor, please do so. It would be great to have another trustworthy source for turquoise cabs.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
It's a gorgeous stone!

If at some point you would feel OK sharing the vendor, please do so. It would be great to have another trustworthy source for turquoise cabs.

Sure. My piece does have a small imperfection on the girdle but my setting plan will cover it.
Screenshot_20220220-131124_Gallery.jpg

They also have this larger stone that I loved, but is too big for my design:

Screenshot_20220220-124122_DuckDuckGo.jpg

They also have these. The round looks like Earth. These would be really cool pendants:
Screenshot_20220220-124715_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20220220-124513_DuckDuckGo.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sure. My piece does have a small imperfection on the girdle but my setting plan will cover it.
Screenshot_20220220-131124_Gallery.jpg

They also have this larger stone that I loved, but is too big for my design:

Screenshot_20220220-124122_DuckDuckGo.jpg

They also have these. The round looks like Earth. These would be really cool pendants:
Screenshot_20220220-124715_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20220220-124513_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Very interesting vendor, thank you so much!

I like the way they came straight out and said so when any of their turquoise pieces had been stabilized. Also, I think that little area of matrix is another sign you are getting the real McCoy.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Wearing some turquoise today"

That's a bit of an understatement! =)2

Your new ring is gorgeous and that's a fantastically beautiful pendant! :love:

Thank you for the nice compliment!
The necklace is actually a Zuni pin/pendant.
DH bought it for me many years ago. It's one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Len47

Rough_Rock
I know this thread has been up for some time, but I haven't. First 2 pendant's are silver & 14k, 3rd is all silver, the ring and watchband I made for me. We love turquoise too.
DSCN5463_878.JPG DSCN5465_880.JPG DSCN5537_944.JPG DSCN5216_760.JPG DSCN5469_884.JPG

I know this thread has been up for some time, but I haven't. First 2 pendant's are silver & 14k, 3rd is all silver, the ring and watchband I made for me. We love turquoise too.
DSCN5463_878.JPG DSCN5465_880.JPG DSCN5537_944.JPG DSCN5216_760.JPG DSCN5469_884.JPG

How wonderful... thanks for sharing!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought some turquoise at the Gem and Mineral show today....this show is so much fun, I didn't want to leave!!

Clockwise from top:
Royston, #8, #8, Kingman, and Morenci

IMG_20220318_160306946~2.jpg

Last edited:
I bought some turquoise at the Gem and Mineral show today....this show is so much fun, I didn't want to leave!!

Clockwise from top:
Royston, #8, #8, Kingman, and Morenci

IMG_20220318_160306946~2.jpg

That kingman stone is right up my alley, as you know!! But they're all gorgeous. :lickout:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That kingman stone is right up my alley, as you know!! But they're all gorgeous. :lickout:

Yeah, this vendor had some exceptional stones. Much if it was out of my price range.
I really wanted some Bisbee, but at 15/ct. it was not affordable. Maybe another time! The next show is in October.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
It's a gorgeous stone!

@prs I happened upon this listing and thought of you! I've personally never seen turquoise with a GIA cert, but here it is:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220319-110427_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220319-110427_Instagram.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20220319-110513_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220319-110513_Instagram.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 13

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@prs I happened upon this listing and thought of you! I've personally never seen turquoise with a GIA cert, but here it is:

Thanks for the heads up, you are definitely PriceScope's greatest gem sleuth! And the most generous sharer of your finds. Good to know that GIA can actually test turquoise. Although insisting on a GIA cert before purchase would leave slim pickings! :eek-2:

Strangely enough just the other day I too found a turquoise listing with a GIA cert. This cert does note the turquoise was treated. The cert doesn't state it, but given the description it's likely by the Zachery process.

Screenshot (768).png

Great that GIA can detect this treatment. I'm still debating if turquoise stabilized in this way is acceptable. I'm leaning towards thinking it is acceptable, and might actually be a good thing, given it decreases porosity and likely decreases color change over time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results