shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your turquoise jewelry!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure if they have been mentioned in this thread but Litnon has some. They are listed as untreated.

Thanks for the tip, the 54ct stone would make a great pendant!

I don't yet know enough to determine if $1,890 would be a fair price for untreated, matrix free, robin's egg blue Sleeping Beauty. I suspect it might be on the high side.

Soseattle

Shiny_Rock
They are all beautiful. I really love the water web Morenci (I have a "thing" for spiderweb turquoise :bigsmile:).

I just realized I'm off one on the counting :roll:. It's the Kingman that is the water web. But I do love them all.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the tip, the 54ct stone would make a great pendant!

I don't yet know enough to determine if $1,890 would be a fair price for untreated, matrix free, robin's egg blue Sleeping Beauty. I suspect it might be on the high side.

I came across another one, only posting as a curiosity because of the hard-to-find Iranian origin. It is much more per ct than the Litnon one and not as heavy.
Can labs even determine turquoise origin?
turq.png

I came across another one, only posting as a curiosity because of the hard-to-find Iranian origin. It is much more per ct than the Litnon one and not as heavy.
turq.png

Like anything else, they can make an educated guess based on color, texture, host rock/matrix minerals, etc. It's not an exact science. Very interesting though!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
turq.png

Wow, thank you, you too are one heck of a gem sleuth! it's a gorgeous stone but I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to pay $1,500 for an uncerted turquoise cabochon.

Maybe it's mission impossible, but I think I'd rather wait until our trip to Albuquerque and Santa Fe and buy a beautiful Native American piece at the Indian market or an unset cab at a reputable rock shop.

I'm discovering there are numerous rock shops in the USA, and some of them have turquoise. There's what seems to be a very good one in Anaheim that is on the list for our next getaway weekend. =)2

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, thank you, you too are one heck of a gem sleuth! it's a gorgeous stone but I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to pay $1,500 for an uncerted turquoise cabochon.

Maybe it's mission impossible, but I think I'd rather wait until our trip to Albuquerque and Santa Fe and buy a beautiful Native American piece at the Indian market or an unset cab at a reputable rock shop.

I'm discovering there are numerous rock shops in the USA, and some of them have turquoise. There's what seems to be a very good one in Anaheim that is on the list for our next getaway weekend. =)2

I think that sounds like a good plan! As an aside I have ordered from Litnon before and was happy with my purchase, but I agree that with turquoise it makes sense to see it in person (esp at that price point!!!)

I am looking for a thin turquoise eternity ring (or close to it) to stack for the summer. Anyone have any recommendations of etsy vendors?

That sounds lovely... are you looking for gold or sterling?

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
I am looking for a thin turquoise eternity ring (or close to it) to stack for the summer. Anyone have any recommendations of etsy vendors?

I've been admiring the turquoise eternity bands also-
I really like the ones with a diamond with the turquoise. I've seen a regular thickness and a thin band in this style.

il_1588xN.1995737442_5yuy.jpg

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds lovely... are you looking for gold or sterling?

I am thinking silver because I am going to wear it on my index finger, likely only in the summer, but really I could do either. But would stay with a white metal.

Last edited:
I am thinking silver because I am going to wear it on my index finger, likely only in the summer, but really I could do either. But would stay with a white metal.

I've always really admired the turq rings in this shop...

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I've been admiring the turquoise eternity bands also-
I really like the ones with a diamond with the turquoise. I've seen a regular thickness and a thin band in this style.

il_1588xN.1995737442_5yuy.jpg

What is the vendor(s) name?

fel

Shiny_Rock
I have some turquoise -- wondering your thoughts on it. So the story is that in the 1980's I was a teenager, and I loved turquoise, amber and coral. Back then, my mother, who is an artist, used to make jewelry. Since I traveled a lot independently (yes even at 14), we had a deal that I could buy things I found in various countries, and she would reimburse me the cost and also make me some necklaces out of a portion of the materials. The rest she would use to create things for herself or things to sell. The turquoise here was purchased in some combination of Southwest US, Israel, Mexico, Europe, and Eastern Europe, the UK with this arrangement, sometime between 1980-1990.

The first necklace I made for myself out of beads I found. I assume these beads are either american or Persion turquoise?
turquoise1.jpg

These other 3 necklaces were made by my mom. All the jade and other stones she collected -- they were not from my travels. I always assumed the turquoise beads were Chinese turquoise, but really they could have been from anywhere since I tended to shop in open markets and thrift shops. turq2.jpg turq2b.jpg turq3c.jpg turq3.jpg turq4.jpg

fel

Shiny_Rock
If any of you have any thoughts on origin or value for the above turquoise I would love to know. Many of the above necklaces are too heavy for me now and to wear them I would need to come up with a different arrangement. Actually --- I always preferred shorter necklaces but Mom didn't really get the memo.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some turquoise -- wondering your thoughts on it. So the story is that in the 1980's I was a teenager, and I loved turquoise, amber and coral. Back then, my mother, who is an artist, used to make jewelry. Since I traveled a lot independently (yes even at 14), we had a deal that I could buy things I found in various countries, and she would reimburse me the cost and also make me some necklaces out of a portion of the materials. The rest she would use to create things for herself or things to sell. The turquoise here was purchased in some combination of Southwest US, Israel, Mexico, Europe, and Eastern Europe, the UK with this arrangement, sometime between 1980-1990.

The first necklace I made for myself out of beads I found. I assume these beads are either american or Persion turquoise?
turquoise1.jpg

These other 3 necklaces were made by my mom. All the jade and other stones she collected -- they were not from my travels. I always assumed the turquoise beads were Chinese turquoise, but really they could have been from anywhere since I tended to shop in open markets and thrift shops. turq2.jpg turq2b.jpg turq3c.jpg turq3.jpg turq4.jpg

Pretty necklaces! I'm not sure about the top necklace.
The bottom two look like Chinese. But @Autumn in New England could probably give you a better assessment!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What fun pieces, @fel! I do love myself some beads, so these necklaces are right up my alley. I fully concur with my colleague, @stracci2000 (:D), that the turquoise looks to be classic Chinese material. Cool matrix patterns. Love your avatar, BTW!

Thanks to you @Autumn in New England , I have been studying up on turquoise.
I wanted to be better at identifying the varieties at that recent gem show!
Seeing the material in person really helps, too. Now that I'm more educated, I'll be making better choices!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results