shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your James/Caleb Meyer-Ann McKay and the like!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 1:54:40 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Date: 2/22/2009 8:32:30 PM

Author: coatimundi

Date: 2/22/2009 7:34:27 PM

Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Haha that''s too bad about the aqua setting plans, but yeah I empathize! I bought the little blue-purple sapphire from the new Finewater inventory
2.gif
I''m excited to get it!

Oh--that''s such a lovely color! I love the ruby, but it''s gone. I really want a ruby--how awesome would a ruby be in a JM??!

In yellow gold, with JM''s incredible detail and vintage feel? All I can say is
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Find some rubies lady and get them to JM!

I really wish I could right now!--future...
27.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 12:14:04 AM
Author: arjunajane

Did somebody say they want a ruby - I know who has some
31.gif
2.gif

I think a ruby in a JM would be very awesome!
3.gif

Thank you sweets! Did he receive your stone?

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 8:25:47 PM

My stone is a little over 8mm and the bezel including the outer area is about 1mm. The bezel covers less of the stone than prongs, but I think the bezel actually makes my stone look smaller than when it was in a 6 prong. The prongs stuck out more than the bezel, and created a bigger optical effect. hth!
Thanks, that''s exactly what I wanted to know!!!
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 8:33:39 PM

Date: 2/23/2009 12:14:04 AM
Author: arjunajane

Did somebody say they want a ruby - I know who has some
31.gif
2.gif

I think a ruby in a JM would be very awesome!
3.gif

Thank you sweets! Did he receive your stone?
No no, I was only able to post it off today (waiting for other jeweller to return it)
7.gif

Hopefully lil umby will have a safe and speedy journey - emphasis on speedy!

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 5:19:04 PM
Author: paeony
Ooo Oo oo (a la Horshack)
Here''s my Ann McKay (old JM design) moonstone ring
(p.s. Coati, I am SO in love with your ring!!)
DSCN0835.JPG

Paeony - how I love this ring! I have a couple of questions for you, if you don''t mind... I am trying to get a sense of how big your lovely moonstone is in relation to the overall size of the bezel. Could you tell me the approximate length and width of your stone, and the length and width of the bezel overall? Also, how thin is the band?
Finally, what ring size are you? Just love it!!
30.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 8:39:32 PM

Date: 2/22/2009 10:52:08 AM
Author: Kelli
Thanks Coati:) I don't know what kind of head it is actually. When I had my stone recut at WF, I just asked them to lower it, because the original jeweler set it REDICULOUSLY high. They didn't tell me much about the new head, just that it was platinum and that it now sits lower:) I've been waiting to see a difference between the platinum head and the white gold shank since my ring hasn't been plated in almost a year, but so far it's all still white.

Maybe you won't need to replate, and you can enjoy the patina. I have some old vintage plat rings that don't have the grey patina--much softer. I stack them with my 18k unplated wg bands, and I love the look! That's great that you haven't had to replate! Do you wear your ring all the time?
That sounds beautiful!

I don't wear it in the shower and not usually to bed, but other than that it's always on me. I've actually started wearing it to bed more often, thinking the rhodium will wear off more quickly. I'd get it re-plated when it's actually time to pair it with my wedding band, but I could enjoy the warm look of it in the meantime. I thought it was really pretty when it had the tint to it!

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 2:37:52 PM
Author: Peachy

Paeony - how I love this ring! I have a couple of questions for you, if you don''t mind... I am trying to get a sense of how big your lovely moonstone is in relation to the overall size of the bezel. Could you tell me the approximate length and width of your stone, and the length and width of the bezel overall? Also, how thin is the band?
30.gif
Hi Peachy
35.gif

Thanks for the lovely compliment!!
I"ll try to help as best I can-- I roughly measured the stone at ~4x6mm
The shank is super thin *off to measure* ... hmmm approx 1.5mm
The bezel seems to be about 7.5x9.5mm
Its a very dainty ring (really moreso than the pics show)- and simple enough to wear with anything

Oh, and the ring is size 6

If you want to see the style in the catalogue on Ann''s website (http://www.annmckaystudio.com/)
its in the 2003-2004 catalogue page 9-- style #975 (the one with the blue-green tourmaline)
fyi-- the prices really depend on the stone and the price of gold (so, obvioiusly higher than whats listed for 2003!)

I think that covers it!! (I hope you get one, or something like it!!
31.gif
)

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 5:15:03 PM

Date: 2/25/2009 2:37:52 PM
Author: Peachy

30.gif
Hi Peachy
35.gif

Thanks for the lovely compliment!!
I''ll try to help as best I can-- I roughly measured the stone at ~4x6mm
The shank is super thin *off to measure* ... hmmm approx 1.5mm
The bezel seems to be about 7.5x9.5mm
Its a very dainty ring (really moreso than the pics show)- and simple enough to wear with anything

Oh, and the ring is size 6

If you want to see the style in the catalogue on Ann''s website (http://www.annmckaystudio.com/)
its in the 2003-2004 catalogue page 9-- style #975 (the one with the blue-green tourmaline)
fyi-- the prices really depend on the stone and the price of gold (so, obvioiusly higher than whats listed for 2003!)

I think that covers it!! (I hope you get one, or something like it!!
31.gif
)

Thanks so much, Paeony!! I appreciate all the info and the link to the catalogue. Saving up my pennies!!!
31.gif

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness!!!! I''ve been away from the jewelry threads for quite a while. coati your ring is absolutely gorgeous.
face23.gif
Seriously, unbelievable. It is sheer perfection. Love the unplated gold.

I posted a link to jamesmeyer on a thread I did here back in Jan. 2007 and a few people loved his designs. I found the original thread
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sos-help-me-please-oec.56730/
and the corresponding one after mine
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-widget.56788/

I was happy to put up his link because I truly love his work. Love it. I think I found him on this site even earlier than that somewhere on a thread, but he definately was not a popular vendor yet on pricescope. I don''t think anyone here had even owned anything by him! I haven''t been checking ring pictures or threads obviously for quite some time, and I had no idea that other pser''s were this crazy about his designs now as well! Imagine my surprise to see this thread and I am so happy that people have discovered him. He truly designs works of art. I am waiting for available funds to have him reset my grandmother''s oec. I have searched far and low and cannot find another vendor anywhere whose designs I am so in love with.

Keep the pictures coming! All of his work (and Caleb and AnnMcKay) is amazing!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 9:51:05 PM
Author: diamondsrock
Oh my goodness!!!! I''ve been away from the jewelry threads for quite a while. coati your ring is absolutely gorgeous.
face23.gif

I posted a link to jamesmeyer on a thread I did here back in Jan. 2007 and a few people loved his designs. I found the original thread

I was happy to put up his link because I truly love his work. Love it. I think I found him on this site even earlier than that somewhere on a thread, but he definately was not a popular vendor yet on pricescope. I don''t think anyone here had even owned anything by him! I haven''t been checking ring pictures or threads obviously for quite some time, and I had no idea that other pser''s were this crazy about his designs now as well! Imagine my surprise to see this thread and I am so happy that people have discovered him. He truly designs works of art. I am waiting for available funds to have him reset my grandmother''s oec. I have searched far and low and cannot find another vendor anywhere whose designs I am so in love with.

Ooh eye candy...thanks for posting the links!

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 8:29:59 AM
I have a question for Coati and BB (and any other JM ring owners)

Could you share the diameter of your diamond (loose) and the diameters of the bezel (inner and outer edge)- just an estimation would be great

I''m curious as to how much the bezel overlaps the stone and how thick your bezels are in comparison to the sizes of your stones.
Oh, for clarification, by outer edge of the bezel- I mean the approx. diameter of the head

Hope that makes sense! (any info would be helpful!) Thanks!!
9.gif
Hi paeony!
Sorry to be very late in replying! ... haven''t spent as much time here lately due to work. Let me measure....
It appears the bezel adds about 1mm to the overall width, if I include the yellow gold rim below the plat bezel itself. If looking from the top down, the overall is about 7-1/2mm. My stone was measured at 6.2mm. Total height is about 6mm from my finger.
- BB

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 9:51:05 PM
Oh my goodness!!!! I've been away from the jewelry threads for quite a while. coati your ring is absolutely gorgeous.
face23.gif

I was happy to put up his link because I truly love his work. Love it. I think I found him on this site even earlier than that somewhere on a thread, but he definately was not a popular vendor yet on pricescope. I don't think anyone here had even owned anything by him! I haven't been checking ring pictures or threads obviously for quite some time, and I had no idea that other pser's were this crazy about his designs now as well! Imagine my surprise to see this thread and I am so happy that people have discovered him. He truly designs works of art. I am waiting for available funds to have him reset my grandmother's oec. I have searched far and low and cannot find another vendor anywhere whose designs I am so in love with.

Thanks so much DR! Very exciting about your grandmother's oec! Is there a pic on ps? I'd love to see it. Which designs interest you? I completely agree that his designs are works of art--I get so much pleasure out of my ring.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
coati I actually haven''t posted any pics of the diamond yet. It is still in the original setting which was common back in the 40''s, which is when she received it. It''s the boxy illusion type square head setting. Very large head for the diamond, actually. Not something I would wear today but at the time it was very popular I think. It does make the diamond look bigger from a distance, but when you get up close you see a lot of it is white gold around the stone.

I''m going to have it removed from the ring and appraised. She said it''s a .91 so it''s not large, but it''s a decent size and looks to be a high color and clarity. I''ll see what the appraiser says. I believe it''s an oec or transitional cut (more likely transitional) and so it''s definatley deeper cut than my 60ish table modern brilliant I wear as my ering. So it is smaller than a modern cut .91 for sure.

I love the link for the ring I posted and that''s the one I''ve been wanting all this time. However, after seeing Butter Bean''s now I''m not so sure! My MIL has an early oec in an antique setting which I love, and it has the leaf motif like Butter Bean''s with a platinum bezel so it''s somewhat similar. I have yet to see another vendor with a design like it, except for JM. It''s funny because I really didn''t think ps would catch on to his designs since they are so different from what I usually see here (pave, halo, etc..) His designs just really strike a chord in me and I can''t explain it, but they are just so my style. It''s nice to see they are other people''s style too! I''m sure you have inspired many with your amazing ring. Sometimes simplicity and handcrafted work speak for themselves.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:09:13 AM
coati I actually haven''t posted any pics of the diamond yet. It is still in the original setting which was common back in the 40''s, which is when she received it. It''s the boxy illusion type square head setting. Very large head for the diamond, actually. Not something I would wear today but at the time it was very popular I think. It does make the diamond look bigger from a distance, but when you get up close you see a lot of it is white gold around the stone.

I''m going to have it removed from the ring and appraised. She said it''s a .91 so it''s not large, but it''s a decent size and looks to be a high color and clarity. I''ll see what the appraiser says. I believe it''s an oec or transitional cut (more likely transitional) and so it''s definatley deeper cut than my 60ish table modern brilliant I wear as my ering. So it is smaller than a modern cut .91 for sure.

I love the link for the ring I posted and that''s the one I''ve been wanting all this time. However, after seeing Butter Bean''s now I''m not so sure! My MIL has an early oec in an antique setting which I love, and it has the leaf motif like Butter Bean''s with a platinum bezel so it''s somewhat similar. I have yet to see another vendor with a design like it, except for JM. It''s funny because I really didn''t think ps would catch on to his designs since they are so different from what I usually see here (pave, halo, etc..) His designs just really strike a chord in me and I can''t explain it, but they are just so my style. It''s nice to see they are other people''s style too! I''m sure you have inspired many with your amazing ring. Sometimes simplicity and handcrafted work speak for themselves.

I would love to see pics of both rings! Your MIL''s sounds lovely--and I dig illusion heads (and oecs!), so I''d love to see your grandma''s ring--if you feel like posting pics. If you have the desire and the time, please post a smtr thread showing these rings? Pretty please?
9.gif

I love BB''s ring too, and I''d someday love to have a leaf and vine design for a colored gem--Mali garnet or ruby. I think it''s interesting about JM''s rings on ps too. I fell in love with his designs immediately, and I knew it was exactly what I wanted. It''s cool that so many have responded to his work, and it is different--with the exception of Van Craeynest and a few others. VC is exquisite, and I''m so glad Love In Bloom started the "Show Me Some Van Craeynest" thread. Those pieces are also true works of art.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
COATI! (sorry for yelling at you - just a bit excited here!)

the milgrain wedding ring you show with the diamond ring - right at the beginning of this post - can you give me some info on it pls? this is *exactly* what i''m looking for! i just started a thread on a ''lost thread'' becaue i saw one similar and now cant re-find it. but yours is ideal for what i want! can you tell me the width pls? and who made it? i want a flat/pipe wedder, not a half dome, and they don''t seem to be nearly as common in a milgrain. also, i want a very subtle milgrain like yours.

any help would be fabbo!

:)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:30:34 AM
Author: whitby_2773
COATI! (sorry for yelling at you - just a bit excited here!)

the milgrain wedding ring you show with the diamond ring - right at the beginning of this post - can you give me some info on it pls? this is *exactly* what i''m looking for! i just started a thread on a ''lost thread'' becaue i saw one similar and now cant re-find it. but yours is ideal for what i want! can you tell me the width pls? and who made it? i want a flat/pipe wedder, not a half dome, and they don''t seem to be nearly as common in a milgrain. also, i want a very subtle milgrain like yours.

any help would be fabbo!

:)

Jim Meyer made the band. 2mm.
http://jamesmeyerjewelry.com

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
thanks coati :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous rings!!!
party2.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting those links diamondsrock!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 4:37:22 PM

Date: 3/1/2009 4:03:41 PM
Author: Lorelei
Gorgeous rings!!!
party2.gif

Thanks for stopping by Miss!

hen.gif
LOL!!!
curtsey.gif
Most welcome and Jethro sends hugs!!!

So do Hilda, Mildred, Agatha, Gladys.....

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 4:47:04 PM
Date: 3/1/2009 4:37:22 PM

Date: 3/1/2009 4:03:41 PM

Gorgeous rings!!!
party2.gif

Thanks for stopping by Miss!

hen.gif

LOL!!!
curtsey.gif
Most welcome and Jethro sends hugs!!!

So do Hilda, Mildred, Agatha, Gladys.....

haha! xoxo!

Gary and Fatty send Auntie L hugs back!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Coati! stop it! stop posting great links!

you know i emailed james meyer earlier today about a replacement milgrain platinum band to be used as my every-day wedding ring. well, i''ve just finished emailing ann mckay about 2 different bands i want! i''m planning on having a matching pair of bands made for my sister and i from an old gold bangle which used to be my (deceased) mother''s. my grandfather gave her the bangle for her 21st birthday, and i *had* planned on having a jeweler at home make them! but NOW....i''ve emailed ann mckay, and if she can use my gold, i''m going to ask her to do them.

for the love of God, woman! stop posting! there''s a limit to how many i can afford!

(...maybe...)

:D

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
just one last question about your wedder...

i know it''s concave, but is the surface lightly peened? i thought i could maybe see a little texture there, but i might be wrong, too.

thanks for helping on this.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Haha Sorry Whitby--I''ll never stop!
31.gif
Your band idea sounds great--I hope it works out to use the gold from your mother''s bracelet.

My band has what JM calls a "dished out" center. It''s a subtle texture--rustic. I''m really into texture right now, and his work is lovely in that department.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi coati :)

i can see it''s dished out (that''s what i meant by concave), but is it also slightly peened (hammered)? there''s something about your ring, and the other wedders on james meyer''s site, which gives them a lovely old fashioned feel, and i wondered if there was a slight peening to them as well as the curved finish.

and i''m amazed how reasonably priced his stuff is! so pretty.

my mother''s bangle, which i''m hoping ann mckay might be able to use, has a couple of small diamonds in it. diamond was my mother''s birth stone, so i was hoping for a flush setting of one diamond in each of our rings, with tiny sapphires either side for my sister''s ring (sapphire is her birthstone) and seed pearls either side in my ring (pearl being my birthstone) - the idea being that the two sapphires/pearls represent the two siblings, either side of our mother (the diamond), plus the continuity of family (mom''s bangle given to her by her father) and so on and so on. my mother actually gave this bangle to me just prior to my 21st for me to have and pass on - then she unexpectedly died, 3 days before my 21st birthday party. so the sentimental value of this bangle is HUGE. being able to split it with my sister, re-use the diamonds, incorporate our birthstones and so on and so on means a very great deal.

jewelry can be so much more than adornment, can''t it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results