but I still love it. I took similar
(naff) pictures so you can compare.
Here she is again
1.gif
:

VCCollageLight.jpg

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
The VC frequency must be working because--since I am up--I thought to check in and WOW!
30.gif
How beautiful! I am going to take another look now, bye.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2008 1:55:26 AM
Author: thekinglives
Anita & LiB, the job is done and
probably even overdone. I started out
with a little soda-paste, lightened
a bit -- and then a lightening frenzy
hit me and I couldn't stop!! (I was
worried that might happen
3.gif
). The
antiquing effect is evenly worn off,
but I still love it. I took similar
(naff) pictures so you can compare.
Here she is again
1.gif
:
LOL TKL! Your "lightening frenzy" sounds kind a fun
3.gif
.... I don't think it looks overdone at all. In fact it looks like your gold glows more now. It's funny because I guess the pieces don't need the antiquing because the details are already physically there in the ring. The rose finish must be for the eyes to know it's the detials are there in a less sublte way.

Gosh I just have to come back every once in a while to stare at your band. I just adore your ring and your photograph collages. Maybe you could start an SMTR so other people, who are perhaps not tuned to the VC frequency, can see. I'm sure others might find the fact that you lightened the finish on your ring yourself interesting too!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
2.gif

Any luck yet on a stone AnitaT ?

thekinglives

Rough_Rock
LOL Anita, lured in like an e-moth
to the VC flame. I'm vaguely annoyed
that I didn't start my jewellery
collection with VC (LiB if the biggest
part of your collection is VC you are
one wise woman!) -- it would have cut
down on the number of pieces I got that
tend towards the authentic antique but
ultimately miss it
39.gif

LiB, I think you're absolutely right,
the oxidation really brings out the
chasing finess, and the lack of it
makes the eye rely on depth and
shadows. The 3-D effect is flattened
for sure!! but the metal-colour generally suits
me a lot better, this is how I explain
this heresy to my DH
2.gif

I might take new (and hopefully
better) shots of the three and start
a dedicated thread. Thank you ladies!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
32.gif
Love in Bloom! Is this what I THINK it is?
23.gif

9e84_1.JPG

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2008 9:59:22 PM
Author: Selkie
32.gif
23.gif

Looks like 851/951 to me...isn't that a picture from www.timepieces.com ? Those pictures look like they were taken in the 70s! I wonder if all of those pictures are of VC rings. Some I have never seen before, even when I visited.

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that timepieces was where Hest88 purchased her wedding set (820/920, I'm totally partial to them
3.gif
). The website never mentions the VC name, but there are some pictures of VC's big red press at the top of the page. A long time ago I asked Larry if timepieces were a retailer and he confirmed.

LOL - why the eeks smileys??

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, you''re right, the PHOTO is probably from the Timepieces site, but that''s not where I got the photo from. The ''eeks'' smiley is partly because I''m apparently now able to identify VC specimens on sight
34.gif
, but also the fact that the item is for sale locally (haven''t seen it in person), secondhand.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Man, oh man Selkie, I get around! Just located the "specimen" (hehehe, Biologists term? ...
3.gif
). That's funny too that you can ID the rings now ... welcome to my world
9.gif
. If it wasn't in white gold I would totally pounce. It's just my size too ...
39.gif
. Darn nickel allergy! My jewelry life would be so much more interesting without nickel in white gold
7.gif

ETA: My mom just happens to wear the same ring size as me but she is not allergic to nickel. Hmmm..... Anyway, I can't help but wonder if the ring is for sale b/c 'it' didn't work out.... makes me feel kinda guilty too.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
HAHAHAHAHA, you're good! The title was different before I asked about it
40.gif
. It does sound like a sad story. Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on it, I've got a tsav that would fit perfectly! And if I don't get it, maybe your mom will!
31.gif

ETA: Yes, my pattern recognition skills have been finely honed by years of microscopy! I figured you'd get the joke.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Since we''re talking about VC, and how we "discovered" Van Craeynest, I will tell y''all my story. I no longer have my VC ering to share with you, but it was from the same wedding set as LIB''s ruby/yellow gold ring. When I graduated from college, my bf at the time proposed to me with an old family stone (transitional cut, about 0.90 carats or 1.10 in size...it was the "small one" in the family, and came from a pair of earrings...the earrings were bartered in exchange for a baby...a long time ago, my ex''s grandfather was a country doctor, and when the family couldn''t pay in cash for a difficult birth, they paid with diamonds...sometimes I think this first bit of sadness paved the way for what came after). I''d been eyeing VC rings for a long time--I live near SF and several local stores carry VC designs. The boy went down and bought a beautiful carved/chased setting for the transitional cut stone. We were engaged for six months and then we went our separate ways. I, of course, returned the ring.

I tell ya, that was a generous gesture! I wanted to lose the boy but keep the ring!

Later, he told me that he''d replaced the diamond with a white pearl...and then gave the ring to his mother for Christmas....

Hmmm...

Well, no matter, some day I''ll have another VC piece. I just hope that some day is soon!!!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/1/2008 9:59:22 PM
32.gif
23.gif

Selkie--I''ve tried on this particular set and it is to die for!!! It is much more delicate/fragile in person than in the photograph. Why do VC rings gain 10-15 lbs in photographs? Well, no matter... It is a sweet set and I''ve considered it for myself. FI''s family is from Ireland and all of his family silver (now MY family silver, hehe) has roses in the pattern... :D

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Kimiko, I hope someday you''ll get your VC! I immediately thought of fine silverware patterns when I saw that setting too.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 7:02:13 PM
HAHAHAHAHA, you're good! The title was different before I asked about it
40.gif
. It does sound like a sad story. Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on it, I've got a tsav that would fit perfectly! And if I don't get it, maybe your mom will!
31.gif

ETA: Yes, my pattern recognition skills have been finely honed by years of microscopy! I figured you'd get the joke.

Ah, so it was you who identified the specimen! It kind of grates my nerves that the seller describes it as a "cast reproduction". If you decide to purchase, I would inquire if the VC hallmark is present. It's an elongated C with a small V in the center (I can post a pic as soon as I get a good one). That would most likely ensure the piece was die struck. I'd say go for it! Mom likes YG anyway. Oh, and I think your tsav would look perfect in that setting *swoon*
26.gif

Date: 6/2/2008 1:54:31 AM
Author: Kimikocat
Since we're talking about VC, and how we "discovered" Van Craeynest, I will tell y'all my story. I no longer have my VC ering to share with you, but it was from the same wedding set as LIB's ruby/yellow gold ring. When I graduated from college, my bf at the time proposed to me with an old family stone (transitional cut, about 0.90 carats or 1.10 in size...it was the "small one" in the family, and came from a pair of earrings...the earrings were bartered in exchange for a baby...a long time ago, my ex's grandfather was a country doctor, and when the family couldn't pay in cash for a difficult birth, they paid with diamonds...sometimes I think this first bit of sadness paved the way for what came after). I'd been eyeing VC rings for a long time--I live near SF and several local stores carry VC designs. The boy went down and bought a beautiful carved/chased setting for the transitional cut stone. We were engaged for six months and then we went our separate ways. I, of course, returned the ring.

I tell ya, that was a generous gesture! I wanted to lose the boy but keep the ring!

Later, he told me that he'd replaced the diamond with a white pearl...and then gave the ring to his mother for Christmas....

Hmmm...

Well, no matter, some day I'll have another VC piece. I just hope that some day is soon!!!

Wow, what an incredibly sad story about your would-be family diamond Kimikocat. Ahhhh the old days... Your introduction to VC was quite interesting too!

What a considerate one you were to return the ring. I cannot believe your ex-fi stuck a pearl in that setting! It's just...just...and then he gave it to his mom...oh dear!
2.gif

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
The diamond story has always intrigued me. LIB asked me if the child survived, and you know, I don''t know what happened to either the mother or the child. The appraised value of both stones, in 2003, was about 2,000 dollars. I don''t really want to speculate on their value in 1950 dollars.

I had style number 457: http://www.vancraeynest.com/chased.html

Btw--do watch out for cast reproductions of VC rings. I have seen one or two that appeared to be knockoffs. I think the VC hallmark looks like a V sitting inside of an oval (egg).

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Oh yes, and to the tsav -- I think the green/white combo would be stunning. VC makes some rings that are emerald/white diamond, and they are really lovely. The colors pop in a nice way.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
woohoo.gif

Stay tuned in a few weeks for my new VC tsav ring!

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 2:15:01 PM
woohoo.gif

Looking forward to it - I am smitten with all the pieces on this thread! I bet it turns out gorgeous!

thekinglives

Rough_Rock
Excellente Selkie! Tsav + VC =
18.gif

*wanders off to distract myself
for a few weeks
2.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 2:15:01 PM
woohoo.gif

That''s so wonderful Selkie! I kept trying to figure out who was winning in ''the battle for the band''
6.gif
22.gif
. Can''t wait to see your green baby in its new home!
4.gif
10.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2008 11:07:21 PM
Author: Love in Bloom

That''s so wonderful Selkie! I kept trying to figure out who was winning in ''the battle for the band''
6.gif
22.gif
. Can''t wait to see your green baby in its new home!
4.gif
10.gif
It was a nailbiter, all right! I tried to hold out until closer to the end before bidding, but the anticipation got to me. I was hoping no one else knew what they were looking at!
27.gif
People badmouth eBay, but I''ve found some seriously good deals there. Did you notice she confirmed it was from AT? That was added later, I never asked her about that.

PLUS It should be here early this week! She shipped it on Saturday. So, you don''t have to distract yourself for too long, IrishBreakfast (yum, BTW) and thekinglives.
9.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Another photo of the ring, diamond not included, and the tsavorite. More pics in this thread
IMG_0608.jpg

9eea_1.JPG

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Teaser pics-more to come when I get some new batteries for my camera!

tsav_VC_ring3.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Last of the sunshine this afternoon...

tsav_VC_ring2.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Last but not least...

tsav_VC_ring1.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
The setting has two tiny diamonds on either side of the head, I''m guessing 5 pointers. There is a carved rose with leaves on both sides of the shank below the diamonds. I misplaced my loupe so I haven''t taken a good look at the detail yet, but it''s pretty intricate.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Oh it is sooooooo georgeous!
Yowzahs!
Seriously, these are pieces of art. Selkie you must be ecstatic, that is simply perfect!
Great green, classic.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Selkie,
It is just BEAUTIFUL and together with your band, wowzers! We (that is, me) need more pictures of this goregous ring. It is simply lovely.
30.gif

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Selkie,

That''s just perfect! I''m so glad that you wound up with the VC setting. The tsav is just lovely in that setting. More photos, please!

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Oh! It''s lovely! Just lovely! Congratulations to you!
36.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results