shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this stone exist? Or should I rethink things?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
I mentioned some of the difficulty I have been having in my search for a center stone in a previous post and thought maybe you all could help.

I am trying to find the following in a stone and stay around $7500:
cut: AGS0
ct: 1.10 - 1.25 ct,
color: G-H
clarity: VS2, could go SI1 if it is eyeclean
and, this is where it gets really tricky, I would like some fluorescence too!

This last part has been more challenging than I expected. If I find a stone with fluorescence, inevitably a few of the other characteristics don''t fit. Or everything else is cool, except for the fluorescence. The most important factor for me is cut, so I want to stay in the AGS0 ideal or GIA excellent family. I also don''t want to go lower than H. In other words, there is some flexibility, but not a whole lot.
2.gif
No wonder I am probably driving non-PS vendors crazy!

Am I making too big a deal about fluorescence? I think it would be cool to have a stone with some. However, if it is making my search impossible, then maybe I should reconsider. There are some near hits at GOG and WF. So, do I hold out for the perfect stone and risk rising diamond prices (and endure more waiting) or get over my fluorescence fever?

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 8:57:24 PM
Author:AnitaT
I mentioned some of the difficulty I have been having in my search for a center stone in a previous post and thought maybe you all could help.

I am trying to find the following in a stone and stay around $7500:
cut: AGS0
ct: 1.10 - 1.25 ct,
color: G-H
clarity: VS2, could go SI1 if it is eyeclean
and, this is where it gets really tricky, I would like some fluorescence too!

This last part has been more challenging than I expected. If I find a stone with fluorescence, inevitably a few of the other characteristics don''t fit. Or everything else is cool, except for the fluorescence. The most important factor for me is cut, so I want to stay in the AGS0 ideal or GIA excellent family. I also don''t want to go lower than H. In other words, there is some flexibility, but not a whole lot.
2.gif
No wonder I am probably driving non-PS vendors crazy!

Am I making too big a deal about fluorescence? I think it would be cool to have a stone with some. However, if it is making my search impossible, then maybe I should reconsider. There are some near hits at GOG and WF. So, do I hold out for the perfect stone and risk rising diamond prices (and endure more waiting) or get over my fluorescence fever?
One more thing, I am looking for a round diamond. Forgot to include that!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is one at Blue Nile: Link 1.21 ct H VS2, a GIA Excellent that scores 1.0 on the HCA, and has Strong Blue Fluor and comes in under budget at $6938 for the bank wire price. Leaves you with a bit of funds to call in and pay for an appraiser to take a look.

Another one at Blue Nile: Link 1.12 ct G VS2, a GIA Excellent scoring 1.5 on the HCA and lands in the AGS0 box, has Medium Blue Fluor, bank wire price of $7,283.

Good Luck! I think you should be able to find your diamond.
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before you give up on the flo, when looking at WF and GOG, it is safe to open up to GIA EX stones.
28.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a diamond with medium fluorescence for 30 years, and never once in all that time did I see the fluorescence. My advice is to not worry about whether it has fluoro or not, because unless you spend a lot of time in rooms with black lights, you simply aren''t going to see the fluorescence! That is a very limiting factor in your search and it has the least effect on the beauty of the stone.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
When I was searching for mine I emailed GOG all my little nit picky details (and I was being nit picky) including the would prefer fluro and Sarah found one really quickly for me that was not in house and it was a winner :).

If you want something really specific your best of emailing.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the comments! I am going to hope for fluorenscence, but I think I won''t be devastated if it doesn''t work out.

Fly Girl! My gosh, I''m glad you use your powers for good. That was impressive. DS, good point about rooms with black lights--LOL! Ellen and Deelight, I appreciate your search suggestions. Honestly, I don''t know if it''s something in the Long Island water...but GOG has some terrific people working there based on the calls I''ve had.

Cguy1

Rough_Rock
Here is a AGS, H, SI1, ACA from Whiteflash, 1.2ct...no Flour though.

1.2ct H, SI1, ACA

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Swingirl and Cguy1--thank you!

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
I thought long and hard about what everyone said (many thanks), rising diamond prices and how a stone we liked earlier was reserved and bought while we debated whether or not to get it....so, we reserved a stone!

Here is the stone''s information: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4445 . It is a 1.14 H VS2, AGS0 and scores a 1.4 on the HCA. I thought this link also showed the AGS report, but I guess I was mistaken. And, no, it does not have fluroscence. I know, I know. But, I have made peace with it and this is a lovely stone.

This was a very close second (http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4447/) It is a 1.14 G, SI1 and scores 1.6 on HCA. It is pretty nice. The trade-off was H color with higher VS2 clarity vs G color with SI1 clarity.

What do you all think about the stones? We have a couple of days to make a final decision about the stone so I would appreciate hearing from you all.
35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Anita nice choices!
these will both be lovely daimonds, you can't go wrong. Between the two, it would simply come down to colour and clarity preferences, so if you like the higher H/Vs2 combo than go with that one.
If you'd like to see the AGS cert you just need to email [email protected] (he is Jon's lab assistant).

How exciting, do you know how you will set this beauty yet??!

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Hello Arjunajane,
Yes, I have the certificate. I was trying to attach it, but it is too big. I also struck out with trying to cut and paste some of it. Oh well. The H stone simply has clouds off to the sides.

By the way, because I believe in giving credit where is due, Charles is a sweetheart. He has been extremely helpful with this search, great about answering questions and talking through my various concerns. Yup, Jon has a great team at GOG. And, I am a big fan of their website. All the background they provide about diamonds and their stones helped us tremendously.

Okay, so you asked about how I am setting it. I am going with a Van Craeynest setting and I am very excited about it. It is a modified version of the 460 seen here on the website: http://www.vancraeynest.com/chased.html . Larry is wonderful and I am very glad I learned about him here.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
AnitaT, I just had to pop over and say congrats on finding your diamond! You are lucky to have found one when you did

(diamond prices on the rise...). I can''t wait to see it set
18.gif
4.gif
18.gif
!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Anita the setting you picked is beautiful VC does amazing work :)

and the diamond looks tops as well :):):):)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Anita, thankyou for filling us in on your setting choice, that will look really lovely.
And you''re right about Charles - I feel the same way about everyone I had the pleasure of working with at GOG
5.gif

Can''t wait to see your finished ring, make sure to remember your PS friends and come back with piccies!
emphoto.gif
1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oh, it is going to be beautiful! I can''t wait to see some photos!
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2008 9:44:41 PM
Author: AnitaT
I thought long and hard about what everyone said (many thanks), rising diamond prices and how a stone we liked earlier was reserved and bought while we debated whether or not to get it....so, we reserved a stone!

Here is the stone's information: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4445 . It is a 1.14 H VS2, AGS0 and scores a 1.4 on the HCA. I thought this link also showed the AGS report, but I guess I was mistaken. And, no, it does not have fluroscence. I know, I know. But, I have made peace with it and this is a lovely stone.

This was a very close second (http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4447/) It is a 1.14 G, SI1 and scores 1.6 on HCA. It is pretty nice. The trade-off was H color with higher VS2 clarity vs G color with SI1 clarity.

What do you all think about the stones? We have a couple of days to make a final decision about the stone so I would appreciate hearing from you all.
35.gif
I think they'd make a fabu pair of studs!!
9.gif

Really, they are both picture perfect. It's really a matter of what color and clarity you want, they will both be stunning.
2.gif

That's going to be one pretty ring!

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Hello...I REALLY appreciate the feedback. With Tuesday getting closer, I am getting a little nervous about my final decision.
23.gif
I mean the G was very close, but I was uncomfortable with a feather it has. Anyone else get anxious before buying their center stone??? One thing that I feel good about is I absolutely KNOW PSers would let me know if I was making a bad decision.
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I think it''s normal to get a little anxious, this is an important, expensive decision. But you''re right, we wouldn''t let you get a bad stone.
2.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 3:00:26 PM
Hello...I REALLY appreciate the feedback. With Tuesday getting closer, I am getting a little nervous about my final decision.
23.gif
I mean the G was very close, but I was uncomfortable with a feather it has. Anyone else get anxious before buying their center stone??? One thing that I feel good about is I absolutely KNOW PSers would let me know if I was making a bad decision.
9.gif

Yes it is completely normal :) I still second guess myself... a little
3.gif
but your right PSer''s would definitely let you know if you were buying something awful which neither of your choices were anywhere near :).

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Ellen and Deelight,
I appreciate you saying that!
21.gif
This is a big decision for us.

LIB, Deelight, AJ, Gwendolyn and Ellen--I will absolutely post pictures when the ring is finished. LIB, I came very close to calling Larry and telling him that I finally reserved a stone.
1.gif

Tell me (pardon my ignorance), after we get the stone, what comes next? Do we get an appraisal then or wait until the stone is set? As a sidenote, I am leaning towards using Jewelers'' Mutual for insurance. This part of the process is rather mysterious to me.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
No worries :) it can definitely be a little nerve racking, but PS helps take the racking thing down a few notches :).

What we are personally doing is getting an appraisal as it is more accurate when the stone is unset and then get it insured before getting it set :) some will get it re-appraised after being set again personal choice.

I have no idea about the insurance sorry I am not in the US but I know there are many threads on the topic :).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anita, I purchased my upgrade from GOG. Because I knew the quality, and the amount of info Jon provides with a purchase piece, I didn't have it appraised first. And the only reason I took it to an appraiser afterwards was just to make sure the stone matched the grading report. I didn't do that out of a lack of trust, it's just that sometimes real mistakes get made. I insured it with SF, whom we have all our policies with, as soon as it shipped to my home.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Ah, thank you both. As I said before, this is one area I don''t know too much about. I appreciate your comments.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
The wonderful folks at GOG sent the following video: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4445

The G is different from the one I mentioned before. The H on the right is the one we have on hold. I am grateful for the video because I can now "put a name to the face" as it were. But, golly, both stones are so beautiful. Any words of wisdom?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
They''re both gorgeous Anita, but I''d stick with the one you have.
28.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Oh Ellen,
Thank you for saying that! I really appreciate it. Are you familiar with Who''s Wedding Is It Anyway? There is a voiceover in the opening credits of a wedding planner saying "The wacky ones (brides) will call you sometimes 12 times a day to talk about a shade of peach!" I''m afraid I might be becoming one of those!
32.gif
So, thank you very much for your kind words.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2008 11:29:29 AM
Oh Ellen,
Thank you for saying that! I really appreciate it. Are you familiar with Who''s Wedding Is It Anyway? There is a voiceover in the opening credits of a wedding planner saying ''The wacky ones (brides) will call you sometimes 12 times a day to talk about a shade of peach!'' I''m afraid I might be becoming one of those!
32.gif
So, thank you very much for your kind words.
lol.gif
I am familiar with it indeed! Too funny Anita.

Seriously, you can''t improve on what you have on hold, they are some of the best cut. You''re fine.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results