shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite and sapphire and zircon (oh my!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Back in January I posted about the post office losing a tsavorite ring I''d bought from a guy at the Santa Monica gem show. Unfortunately, it still hasn''t turned up, but luckily it was insured so I met up with the vendor at the gem show today, and we worked out a replacement. Although I really liked the lost ring and he could have duplicated it, the stone was only 0.5ct, and I was hoping for something bigger (who knew I was a size queen?
16.gif
). So he let me have a 1.03 ct round loose tsavorite as a replacement. I fell in love with it the minute I saw it, and spent an hour taking photos when I got it home. I also took shots of a loose light blue sapphire I''ve had for years now, and a cute little blue zircon I got last year. I''ve been thinking about setting them for a while, but there''s something really appealing about a loose stone too.

The gem show was fun, as always. I couldn''t find the rose cut vendor that Coatimundi posted about, but I think they''re in the jewelry mart, so maybe I''ll check them out there someday.

Here''s the tsav:

IMG_0608.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Set in Titanium (Mac titanium powerbook, that is)

IMG_0637.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
upside down

IMG_0652.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
With my e-ring (1ct sapphire center)

IMG_0645_RAS.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Tsav and sapphire together-blue fire!

IMG_0623_RA.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock

IMG_0627_RA.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
The sapphire by itself. This was an ebay purchase that I had recut to get rid of a window. It''s very sparkly. I''m planning to have it set as a pendant, something like the one from Green Lake I''ll post next.

IMG_0617_RAS.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Green Lake pendant inspiration

GL_PEN_A_30183_3.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Blue zircon-a 4x6 oval, also from ebay:

IMG_0657_RAS.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
It''s kind of teeny, but I love the color.

IMG_0662_RA.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
All three together...

IMG_0632_RAS.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
one more...thanks for looking!

I''m envisioning a simple yellow gold setting for the tsavorite, a half bezel, maybe. Probably a ring? Maybe another pendant. I dunno!

IMG_0630_RAS.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 1:20:52 AM
Author: Selkie
one more...thanks for looking!

I''m envisioning a simple yellow gold setting for the tsavorite, a half bezel, maybe. Probably a ring? Maybe another pendant. I dunno!
I like you ideas for these. Very beautiful colors! I like your collection Miss Selkie!!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh pretty stone Selkie :)

I am glad that it all worked out I really like the setting ideas they will look smashing :)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
More tsavorites. Yay!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selkie, they are beautiful! I love the colors of all of them but I have to say as a recent convert, I''m really digging the tsavorite!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice trio. Everyone''s been busy with tsavs lately.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Selkie, I''m so glad you are getting a happy ending to your lost package...and an upgrade to boot! I just looooove the color of the tsav you chose, it''s really incredible!! I can''t wait to see it set!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone. I'll be sure to post what I decide to do (if anything!) with them. I'm such a dork, I brought the garnet and the sapphire to work with me today so I can drool over them during breaks.

I'm an absolute sucker for scrolls and filigree, so this is what I'm thinking now for the tsavorite (in yellow gold):

GLJW_MTG_A_21156.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Side view (not the same ring as above, but similar).

GLJW_MTG_A_22672.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Selkie, that pendant is so pretty and I just
30.gif
31.gif
L O V E
31.gif
30.gif
your rocks!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Selkie, beautiful stones!
30.gif

I love the color of that zircon, and the tsavorite and sapphire are just lovely.

The gem show was fun, eh? I can''t believe it, but I didn''t purchase a thing!! I was all prepared for a purchase, and lo and behold, nadda. It was a rare occurence, but that day, I actually felt content with what I already have. Unbelievable!!

I did fall absolutely in love with a 4 carat oval pigeon''s blood ruby set with step cut half moons
30.gif
--I should''ve brought my camera-that thing Drove me WILD! Maybe some day...sigh
1.gif

That rose cut vendor was in the wholesale section (majorly disappointing by the way). My husband has his own business, so we have a Tax ID, though it''s the first time we''ve ever used it.

I can''t wait to see your stones set!!
36.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Coati, I''ve been wondering about the wholesalers section. So it''s not that great? I''m impressed you managed to not buy anything, but you''ve definitely already got a beautiful collection. You need some color though!
9.gif
I always get overwhelmed by all the different vendors there, but I''d say 99.9% percent of it isn''t my taste at all. Frankly, a lot of it seems gaudy and dated. I gravitate to the estate jewelers and the better colored gem dealers. The only thing other than my "upgrade" that I considered walking out with was a lemon yellow sphene pair from the same guy. I''ve never seen sphene in person before, and was blown away by the red, orange, and even green flashed they were throwing off. Mesmerizing. Now I''m eyeing some on Wildfishgems.com.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 10:52:54 AM
Author: Selkie
Coati, I've been wondering about the wholesalers section. So it's not that great? I'm impressed you managed to not buy anything, but you've definitely already got a beautiful collection. You need some color though!
9.gif
I always get overwhelmed by all the different vendors there, but I'd say 99.9% percent of it isn't my taste at all. Frankly, a lot of it seems gaudy and dated. I gravitate to the estate jewelers and the better colored gem dealers. The only thing other than my 'upgrade' that I considered walking out with was a lemon yellow sphene pair from the same guy. I've never seen sphene in person before, and was blown away by the red, orange, and even green flashed they were throwing off. Mesmerizing. Now I'm eyeing some on Wildfishgems.com.

Yah, wholesaler's section was BLAH. Except for that rose cut vendor. I gravitated toward the estate/antique jewelers as well. Yes, also saw a lot of gaudy and dated stuff. My eagle eye/stickler for detail sensibilities cannot handle most of those contemporary vendor's settings which can look a bit junky.

I met a silly antique dealer who was full of it. She showed me what she called a 3ct I color OMC. Yes it was an OMC, and lovely (exhibited culet reflection-which I love--Kozibie effect?), but it was more in the O-P color range. Also, they told me it was platinum, and I could clearly see the 14k stamp on the shank. They had some interesting pieces, but they were totally inaccurate with prices to match!

You're right! I do need color! My pale pink morganite is fine and dandy as a start, but now I'm falling in love with the vibrants. Oh, I want a ruby so badly right now. I have a design in my head, now just need stones. I also would love to have a Benitoite. I so love the color of that zircon you got. And that tsavorite
30.gif
Love to have one of those too!

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh pretty pretty, all three of them!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2008 7:05:58 PM
Author: LegacyGirl
Ohh pretty pretty, all three of them!
Ditto! Nice "rock" collection!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very pretty stones and I love your setting ideas.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Kind of excited! I just bought this setting and if it fits, I'll be putting the tsavorite in it. It's 14K wg.

DSC08766.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
The leaf detail on the side looks very crisp. It''s an estate setting.

DSC08767.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Hope it fits, the opening is a little over 6mm. The stone is 6mm.

DSC08772.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results