shape
carat
color
clarity

"RINGS IN WAITING" thread: help us cope...please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 7:06:54 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 1/11/2009 7:30:28 AM
Author: arjunajane
Ooohh, my first RIW post! I am so nervous/excited - I have Gene from Precision cutting a cushion rhodolite for me at the moment.

Once its finished, I will be working with Sally from Heart of Water jewels (etsy) on a bezel/floral 18K yellow gold setting.

Can''t wait to have my first coloured gem ring!
36.gif

Ooh that''s exciting Arjuna! When do you get the garnet?
Hey BEG,
Gene said it *should* be finished by sunday, so hopefully soon!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 7:43:20 PM
Author: LostSapphire
SO NICE TO SEE THIS THREAD ACTIVE AGAIN!

Sorry I haven''t been up to ''minding the thread''. My *brain* has been a bit occupied elsewhere, KWIM?
2.gif

I''m sure now that B.E.G. has so many projects coming up, and with arjunajane, stepcutnut, mochi, icekid and brendaman awaiting new projects things should be well in hand.

OF COURSE tourmalinelover, it includes rings AND gemstones. When I started it I hit ''send'' too fast so it''s eternally memorialized as a ''rings in waiting'' thread...but what I meant was, basically, anything and any kind of jewellery/stone project.

Here''s hoping this thread eases your anxiety while waiting, and waiting, and waiting. The fundamental placating elements are (in no particular order): chocolate, ice cream, gin, pie, cake. When all else fails we offer rug hooking as a last resort. Field Trips to Jeff White''s place are always de rigueur. We load up the cooler with Gin and Chocolate and off we go.

Signing out for now.....have fun!

LS

LS, I''m so happy to see you here! How is everything going? Your surgery is coming up soon, right? Just know that I will definitely be sending you good vibes all the way!

Arjuna that''s so exciting! I can''t wait to see the pictures!

While we''re waiting, anyone up for some mochi ice cream?
1.gif

BEGMochiIceCream.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Sorry I haven''t been up to ''minding the thread''. My *brain* has been a bit occupied elsewhere, KWIM?
2.gif

I''m sure now that B.E.G. has so many projects coming up, and with arjunajane, stepcutnut, mochi, icekid and brendaman awaiting new projects things should be well in hand.

OF COURSE tourmalinelover, it includes rings AND gemstones. When I started it I hit ''send'' too fast so it''s eternally memorialized as a ''rings in waiting'' thread...but what I meant was, basically, anything and any kind of jewellery/stone project.

Here''s hoping this thread eases your anxiety while waiting, and waiting, and waiting. The fundamental placating elements are (in no particular order): chocolate, ice cream, gin, pie, cake. When all else fails we offer rug hooking as a last resort. Field Trips to Jeff White''s place are always de rigueur. We load up the cooler with Gin and Chocolate and off we go.

LS

LS, I''m so happy to see you here! How is everything going? Your surgery is coming up soon, right? Just know that I will definitely be sending you good vibes all the way!

1.gif

BEGMochiIceCream1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2009 7:14:08 PM

Same here - and I keep buying more, when I really need to be setting some of them. I wish LOGR hadn''t raised their prices so much though - I looked through ian.bo44 and jewe2004''s stores, but neither have the Legacy-type setting.
14.gif

Which setting did you have him customize? For a bigger stone? What didn''t look right? I''m wondering since I''m planning on getting that 7x7 cushion, but asking him to customize it to fit my 10mm amethyst
I had him customize the setting for my 3 carat cuprian. The head is a bit non-symmetrical and "lumpy" but good enough for what I paid. The problem is that I spend so much on gemstones, I have nothing left over for fantastic mountings. I much rather spend the money on the gems.

It''s this ring. As you can see the head is not perfectly oval (check the right hand corner in particular).

Someone also recently customized a lan.b04 setting and she thought it was a bit crooked.

I think they take existing molds and quickly modify them for these modifications.

non_oval_head2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2009 12:06:30 AM

LS, I'm so happy to see you here! How is everything going? Your surgery is coming up soon, right? Just know that I will definitely be sending you good vibes all the way!

Arjuna that's so exciting! I can't wait to see the pictures!

While we're waiting, anyone up for some mochi ice cream?
1.gif
MMMMM yummy, I love mochi ice cream, especially that red bean one!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 12:50:43 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/12/2009 12:06:30 AM

LS, I'm so happy to see you here! How is everything going? Your surgery is coming up soon, right? Just know that I will definitely be sending you good vibes all the way!

Arjuna that's so exciting! I can't wait to see the pictures!

While we're waiting, anyone up for some mochi ice cream?
1.gif
What is this icecream, and why don't I know about it?!

ETA: ooo, wiki'd it..now I want some !
39.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2009 12:53:47 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 1/12/2009 12:50:43 AM

What is this icecream, and why don't I know about it?!

ETA: ooo, wiki'd it..now I want some !
39.gif
It's a Japanese desert. It's ice cream covered with a glutenous rice and it typically comes in red bean or green tea flavors. I'm a big lover of Asian cuisine (primarily Japanese and Korean), so I just love this stuff. Mmmmmm!

If you have an Asian grocery store nearby or a sushi restaurant, you can get some.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Yum! I love mochi ice cream...strawberry in particular. If you haven't tried it, you must try!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
TL, I see - hmm, I guess I''ll have to take the chance. My mom was VERY specific on wanting that particular LOGR Legacy-esque setting. But I totally know what you mean about spending money on the stones and not the settings. Ideally, I''d love to have Leon make every one of my settings! Realistically, I''d much rather build up a nice gem collection, and have good though not fantastic quality settings.

And I LOVE red bean...

Arjuna, mochi ice cream is amazing! They have them in many sushi restaurants, and in some stores they sell them in the ice cream section (like at Trader Joe''s) in all sorts of flavors (red bean, green tea, mango, strawberry, vanilla, chocolate, etc.).

Jelly, I had the strawberry ones today- YUM
30.gif
By the way, what''s that beautiful sparkly in your avatar??

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou TL and BEG, Yum, Green Tea icecream !
18.gif

I also adore Asian food/sushi, so will have to find out if they sell it anywhere locally..
TBH, I've never heard of anything like it, I wonder if its just japan/US..?

**ok, icecream threadjk over**
5.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve got 2 rings I''m waiting on: my new wedding ring (which I''ve posted about before, but pic below anyway of the diamond sitting in the setting), and an inexpensive ebay setting. The wedding ring should be done in 1-2 more weeks, but it seems like it''s been a month already. I''m not sure how long the ebay setting will take, because I won the auction for a yellow gold ring, but asked them to make it in white gold (cost me $15 extra). I had trouble grabbing the pic, so here''s the url: http://images.tupianguanjia.com/bin/4577/456%20%284%29.JPG

I CAN''T WAIT!!!

RIW ring.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That ring is pretty, looks like it''s framing the diamond.

I love mochi (see my PS name, hehe). My golden retriever''s name is Mochi. Mochi ice cream is wonderful. When I lived in Okinawa, they had a red bean/mochi sweet syrup/soup type concoction with shaved ice on top. It sounds a bit strange, but it was actually pretty good. Also had fresh mochi that was wrapped in fragrant ginger leaves. Those were made only for special occasion, just unwrap and eat the mochi (not the ginger leaf). Gosh, I miss it!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 8:01:50 AM
Author: mochi
That ring is pretty, looks like it''s framing the diamond.

I love mochi (see my PS name, hehe). My golden retriever''s name is Mochi. Mochi ice cream is wonderful. When I lived in Okinawa, they had a red bean/mochi sweet syrup/soup type concoction with shaved ice on top. It sounds a bit strange, but it was actually pretty good. Also had fresh mochi that was wrapped in fragrant ginger leaves. Those were made only for special occasion, just unwrap and eat the mochi (not the ginger leaf). Gosh, I miss it!
Hey thanks, mochi. Very interesting about the mochi ice cream. I''m Korean, and there are a lot of sweet, dessert-type dishes that use red bean. I wish I could try some of that.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
So many fun projects going on! I can''t wait to see what everyone ends up with!
5.gif

In the meantime - pass the mochi!

All my jewelry projects have been put on hold as we''re moving and need all the new stuff that comes with a move. *sigh* My mattress money might be going towards furniture rather than sparklies.
40.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 7:15:46 PM
Date: 1/11/2009 11:02:13 AM

Author: stepcutnut

I am joining this thread with a...diamond ring project(I know-gasp!) But it has put several of my gemstone projects on hold for awhile!!!

Waiting is tough, I've been told a couple more weeks before my 2.27ct N colored newly cut 'antique' cushion is set. During this waiting period I always begin to question my design choices a little, hoping that the finished project turns out better than what I've imagined and Hoping I didn't make any bad choices. Time will tell I guess :)

Hey, N colored is warm enough to be considered a colored stone right?
2.gif
(or if not, at least an honorary colored stone?
3.gif
)

What kind of setting are you putting the cushion in? Is it a custom job?

:) I think an N colored diamond falls between what most diamond lovers like and what most colored stoners like, kind of like the black sheep I guess! But I am sooooo excited to see her set, the setting will be custom, 18kt rose gold with double claw prongs with F color step cut pears set in Plat with a Plat soft knife edge shank. The center cushion also has a green tint to it, so I really wanted contrast between that and the sides. Most were pushing for a halo setting, but I already have a cushion set in a halo, so needed something different. Hoping it turns out better than I have been picturing.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 12:06:22 AM

2.gif

LS

1.gif

Yum-mochi, I love the green tea!!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Arjuna, I LOVE sushi - I''ll make the hour trek up to the BEST sushi place in Chicago just for that sushi...Senior year of college, there was this amazing, dirt-cheap but so good sushi place a block from my apartment, and I seriously ate there 3 times a week for a year. Hey, it''s healthy! A great diet!
5.gif

Cellentani, I really like that setting! What are you putting in it, or are you still looking for a stone?

Mochi, I was thinking of you actually as I posted that pic! I was actually looking up mochi recipes - i asked my mom to send me some Mochiko flour so I can try making it. I''m obsessed (lol that your dog is named Mochi!). I know what red bean/shaved ice concoction you mean - it''s an incredibly popular Korean dessert (Cellentani I''m Korean as well!) and so yummy, especially in the summer. When I was in Tokyo, I went to this dessert place that had a green tea version - red bean, mochi, green tea ice cream, shaved ice...wow.

Geckodani, aw too bad about the jewelry project hold - I hope moving goes well though! And new furniture is always fun
1.gif

Stepcutnut, omg I can''t wait to see it - rose gold double claws?? It''s going to be amazing. Who''s doing the setting? When do you get it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2009 8:51:49 PM
Arjuna, I LOVE sushi - I'll make the hour trek up to the BEST sushi place in Chicago just for that sushi...Senior year of college, there was this amazing, dirt-cheap but so good sushi place a block from my apartment, and I seriously ate there 3 times a week for a year. Hey, it's healthy! A great diet!
5.gif
Okay BEG,
What do you consider the best sushi place in Chicago, since I've been to so many in the area!

I hear you're Korean, another one of my fav cuisines. I love the hot noodle soups.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 8:58:57 PM

Arjuna, I LOVE sushi - I''ll make the hour trek up to the BEST sushi place in Chicago just for that sushi...Senior year of college, there was this amazing, dirt-cheap but so good sushi place a block from my apartment, and I seriously ate there 3 times a week for a year. Hey, it''s healthy! A great diet!
5.gif

Okay BEG,

What do you consider the best sushi place in Chicago, since I''ve been to so many in the area!

I hear you''re Korean, another one of my fav cuisines. I love the hot noodle soups.

Sushi Toro, no doubt. It''s in Lincoln Park -if you haven''t been yet, you absolutely have to - their Spicy Tuna Crunch is incredible! But their hours are weird, and it''s tiny so when I''m in the area (it''s about a block up and across the street from my jewelers btw) and they''re not open, I go to Kabuki, which is pretty good (and one of the managers is Korean, so I get free miso soup and mochi ice cream
3.gif
). I also really like Sushi Mura in Lakeview, but that one really is way to far. I''ve tried Oysy in River North, but wasn''t quite as big a fan as my friend who recommended it.

And I love Korean food - I eat so much when I''m home and my mom''s cooking.

Btw, since I believe you''re in my area, you should head to Hangout- I''ve made a Chicago GTG thread!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2009 9:23:23 PM

Date: 1/12/2009 8:58:57 PM

5.gif

Okay BEG,

What do you consider the best sushi place in Chicago, since I''ve been to so many in the area!

I hear you''re Korean, another one of my fav cuisines. I love the hot noodle soups.

Sushi Toro, no doubt. It''s in Lincoln Park -if you haven''t been yet, you absolutely have to - their Spicy Tuna Crunch is incredible! But their hours are weird, and it''s tiny so when I''m in the area (it''s about a block up and across the street from my jewelers btw) and they''re not open, I go to Kabuki, which is pretty good (and one of the managers is Korean, so I get free miso soup and mochi ice cream
3.gif
). I also really like Sushi Mura in Lakeview, but that one really is way to far. I''ve tried Oysy in River North, but wasn''t quite as big a fan as my friend who recommended it.

And I love Korean food - I eat so much when I''m home and my mom''s cooking.

Btw, since I believe you''re in my area, you should head to Hangout- I''ve made a Chicago GTG thread!
BEG,
Thanks for getting me very hungry late at night.
25.gif

I go to Kamehachi in the suburbs and it''s good, love their eel! There''s also several other places I''ve been to, but not worth mentioning.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 10:16:13 PM

BEG,

Thanks for getting me very hungry late at night.
25.gif

I go to Kamehachi in the suburbs and it''s good, love their eel! There''s also several other places I''ve been to, but not worth mentioning.

Hehe.

Actually, the first sushi place in Chicago that I went to was Kamehachi, but in Old Town - I really liked it, but for some reason haven''t gone back - I think it''s a little more out of my way than Toro is (although Toro is farther).

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock

Stepcutnut, omg I can''t wait to see it - rose gold double claws?? It''s going to be amazing. Who''s doing the setting? When do you get it?

BEG-I am getting super antsy to see it! The setting and all 3 stones are from DiamondsbyLauren-David is fantastic to work with and I love that he gets in some really unique stones :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
BEG- Moving is stressful, LOL. But should be worth it in the long run!

Now I want red bean ice cream.
9.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a obento for all of you!!

xxobento1.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
5.gif

Cellentani, I really like that setting! What are you putting in it, or are you still looking for a stone?

Mochi, I was thinking of you actually as I posted that pic! I was actually looking up mochi recipes - i asked my mom to send me some Mochiko flour so I can try making it. I''m obsessed (lol that your dog is named Mochi!). I know what red bean/shaved ice concoction you mean - it''s an incredibly popular Korean dessert (Cellentani I''m Korean as well!) and so yummy, especially in the summer. When I was in Tokyo, I went to this dessert place that had a green tea version - red bean, mochi, green tea ice cream, shaved ice...wow.

Geckodani, aw too bad about the jewelry project hold - I hope moving goes well though! And new furniture is always fun
1.gif

LOL... I though for sure no one would know what I was talking about, how wrong I was. Have you ever tried the mochi with red bean paste and the green tea mochi? It''s not an ice cream. I admire you for trying your hand on making mochi. Let me how how it went.

I''m from Okinawa but have been living here in the states for years. Just a AF brat!!
16.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 10:06:35 AM
Here''s a obento for all of you!!
LOL! So cute!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 10:23:37 AM

LOL... I though for sure no one would know what I was talking about, how wrong I was. Have you ever tried the mochi with red bean paste and the green tea mochi? It''s not an ice cream. I admire you for trying your hand on making mochi. Let me how how it went.

I''m from Okinawa but have been living here in the states for years. Just a AF brat!!
16.gif

Oh I love mochi - my grandma regularly goes to the Korean market and sends me care packages - she sent me a couple packages of mochi (with red bean) last week. They were gone in two nights.
9.gif
I don''t think I''ve had green tea mochi but when I used to live in Boston, there was a Chinese supermarket, and they had a ton of different mochis - strawberry, melon, vanilla, etc.

Mochi, I''m an AF brat too! Almost ended up in Okinawa actually, but we went to Hawaii instead!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
BEG (or any of you mochi lovers): being a Korean adoptee (and growing up in N. central FL), my exposure to asian cuisine is not as broad as it should be. I now live in the DC area and have a few Korean stores that aren''t too far away and really want to try the mochi that everyone''s talking about. Does it come in a package? Tell me what I should look for. Sorry for that run-on, but I''m feeling grammatically casual tonight.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
BEG... Small would, isn't it?? I haven't had good mochi in so long. I really need to get out to Tampa and go shopping at the asian markets...

I love sushi, also. My husband loves all types of asian food, it's so funny. I also love Vietnamese food.. YUM!!

Cellentani.. I love Korean bar-b-que. When I use to live in Phoenix, there was a great Korean restaurant there and it was awsome!!

Here is a link for some mochi:

http://www.japansuper.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/00200.1.4447840858939253244

Geckodani::: Another Obento for you!!

xxobento.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
mochi - that Pingu is hilarious. I don''t think my kids would let me eat that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results