shape
carat
color
clarity

Please show me your OEC or OMB in their solitaire settings!

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Hey All- if you are following my journey at all you know I am on the hunt for a 4 carat OEC or OMB… I am working with Adam at OWD and traveling to NYC on 10/05 so my DH and I can see his collection- I’m legit counting the sleeps, lol!

I currently have a 2.5 ct OMB in a halo setting. While beautiful, I’ve outgrown the design and now long for a bigger Solitaire- I will be trading in this diamond to help fund the upgrade . I plan on getting a stone in the M-P range, heck, it could be an ST?! My thought process is getting a platinum head/gallery and Gold Shank. If it’s a more yellow-ish/warmer diamond I plan to embrace it and set it in all Yellow gold. I would LOVE to see your solitaire settings- and any creativity you may have added. I am of the camp- NO DIAMONDS anywhere this time around, as I want the main stone to be on stage and, I’m also coming from a fully encrusted ring- kind of over it.

Thank you for sharing and if you have a link to other posts about this please share- I couldn’t find anything with this specific request?

TIA!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I don't think there is thread for 4 carat and up old cuts that are solitaires.

I found this, but not exactly what you are seeking:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
And @Cerulean has her really fantastic new reset as a solitaire, in a similar range of size you are considering.

And smaller than 4 carats, but the throwback post this week was an AV OEC in a solitaire.

I didn't come up with a lot on a search. Maybe have a browse through the solitaire with plain band thread as well?

@Mreader has a solitaire in the size you are seeking that is old cut.

And one more, but not dedicated to old cut solitaires. But lots of photos and different rings.

Last edited:

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
And @Cerulean has her really fantastic new reset as a solitaire, in a similar range of size you are considering.

And smaller than 4 carats, but the throwback post this week was an AV OEC in a solitaire.

I didn't come up with a lot on a search. Maybe have a browse through the solitaire with plain band thread as well?

@Mreader has a solitaire in the size you are seeking that is old cut.

And one more, but not dedicated to old cut solitaires. But lots of photos and different rings.

Thank you so much! My request may have been confusing, I am on the hunt for a stone that size, but want to see soliataire's for this type of cut in any size! Just want to get an idea of how to best make the Diamond appeat center stage! Really appreciate you taking the time to provide the links above!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a non-specific thread on old cuts...you can pick your way through until someone posts their ring

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow this is so exciting! @elizat shared my main thread - it’s a 3.5 carat OMC in S-T color range. If you want a white looking stone, this color range is not for you IMO. It is obviously tinted but that’s what I like about it!

But Adam has some great big rocks in stock from what I can see on Instagram! I had my first setting made by him, and I knew it was going to be a temp setting so I had fun with the shank and gallery design.

The big things about my setting from CVB to note - I love that the gallery has details, but from the top, all you see is the diamond. And because the gallery is more open, I can truly see the stone from all angles which I didn’t get with a bezel with a closed gallery design. The craftsmanship is incredible too!
I’d definitely decide color and setting style once you pick your stone. If you pick an SI1 like I did with inclusions near the girdle, you’ll want to make sure it’s well protected with at least 8 prongs or a bezel.

Why don’t you share some settings you like? Once you’re in the ballpark of a solitaire, your stone is going to be the center stage!

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Before - chunky bezel by OWD. The facets looked more contrasty, but the chunky bezel concealed the cushiony shape and the profile. It does LOOK a bit bigger tho!

IMG_7706.jpeg

IMG_7705.jpeg

After - 8 prongs, had her “snub” them so they weren’t sharp claws, by Caysie van bebber mount has a floral gallery which is my FAVE and tho it offers a bit less protection overall…so pleased with how the cushion shape is more evident, the diamond has more of a “glow” and I can really see the profile. It’s also set a little higher which I love

IMG_7642.jpeg

IMG_7710.jpeg

There’s no wrong answer - you have to decide what flatters your stone, blends with your style, and choose based on your lifestyle. A bezel will be the most carefree hands down, and there is something to be said for that even tho I adore my new prongy mount!

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I looked at so many solitaire setting styles…but I focused on ones that made sense for a delicate girdle. I would’ve never put my stone in a mount with a very exposed girdle…

To me, the gallery is where you can really have fun!

Some ideas I can pass on!

IMG_7718.jpeg

IMG_7717.jpeg

IMG_7716.jpeg

IMG_7714.png

IMG_7713.png

IMG_7702.jpeg

IMG_7701.jpeg

IMG_7700.jpeg

IMG_7699.jpeg

IMG_7698.jpeg

IMG_7704.jpeg

IMG_7703.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
IMG_7727.jpeg

IMG_7726.jpeg

IMG_7724.jpeg

IMG_7723.jpeg

IMG_7725.jpeg

IMG_7721.jpeg

IMG_7720.jpeg

Now…if I trusted my girdle to be exposed, I would’ve picked VC’s Adriana hands down. I just ogled this setting forever but knew it wasn’t safe for my stone…

Here it is with a 5 carat OMB :rolleyes:

IMG_7730.jpeg

IMG_7728.jpeg

IMG_7729.jpeg

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
@Cerulean!!! Thank you! I am saving some of these!!!

I am really drawn to the simplicity of the Crown in the gallery settings- and YES, totally agree, it will be much easier to determine how she should be "dressed" once I have her on hand! I am finding I don't want a huge donut this time around, I would prefer less of a gap between my engagement ring and band- and definitely a heftier shank this time around- probably 2.5-2.8ish, mine is a VERY THIN micropave 1.5mm, while the craftsmanship is incredible and I have never had a problem- I am annoyed that it never lines up properly with my bands- its gorgeous just not practical.

I am in the process of collecting all of the ideas! Given this will be a warmer diamond, I am thinking I want a Gold Shank, and depending on the stone itself either a platinum or gold gallery and prongs... I wear 2 Gold Cartier Love Bracelets on my left hand, and my watch is 2 tone... So I would love to embrace more gold this time around- it's really all I wear these days...the only platinum pieces I have now is my current wedding set.

Also- I am so glad you mentioned Adam's bench, I was curious about their work...I don't think they do anything hand forged, correct? All CAD/Cast? I've had my last 2 settings done by BE's bench and they were both hand forged, and I am considering using DK for this project, although the convenience of just leaving it with Adam is so nice- the less the diamond has to travel the better!

Thank you again!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I had a setting done by OWD. It was not a solitaire but it was a three stone. I have since reset it and I don't even know where the setting is anymore. That's another story though. However, the setting was well done, it had a nice weight to it, and had nice finishing. I believe that he only does cad and cast. I felt the price was very fair for the work.

ETA: my old setting from OWD

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
I had a setting done by OWD. It was not a solitaire but it was a three stone. I have since reset it and I don't even know where the setting is anymore. That's another story though. However, the setting was well done, it had a nice weight to it, and had nice finishing. I believe that he only does cad and cast. I felt the price was very fair for the work.

Gorgeous stones!! And thank you for sharing your experience!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love all the settings you've saved, Cerulean! Do you happen to know the link to this one? I've been scrolling through her IG and can't find it.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
@Cerulean I LOVE one of the ones you have posted!! This is what I’m leaning towards… All Gold shank, with either a platinum or gold gallery- stone dependent. Wondering who I should approach for this solitaire project? And would Hand Forged be a better option? Obviously, OWD, DK and maybe BE? I have no clue price wise what gold settings like this are going for, so I should probably conduct my due diligence and reach out to these vendors and just ask…

I don’t want it set too low, or have a wide donut, so I would narrow that portion a bit, and think I want a Cathedral setting allowing the shank to meet up towards the crown.

IMG_2624.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2506.jpeg
    IMG_2506.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2621.jpeg
    IMG_2621.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 13

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean!!! Thank you! I am saving some of these!!!

I am really drawn to the simplicity of the Crown in the gallery settings- and YES, totally agree, it will be much easier to determine how she should be "dressed" once I have her on hand! I am finding I don't want a huge donut this time around, I would prefer less of a gap between my engagement ring and band- and definitely a heftier shank this time around- probably 2.5-2.8ish, mine is a VERY THIN micropave 1.5mm, while the craftsmanship is incredible and I have never had a problem- I am annoyed that it never lines up properly with my bands- its gorgeous just not practical.

I am in the process of collecting all of the ideas! Given this will be a warmer diamond, I am thinking I want a Gold Shank, and depending on the stone itself either a platinum or gold gallery and prongs... I wear 2 Gold Cartier Love Bracelets on my left hand, and my watch is 2 tone... So I would love to embrace more gold this time around- it's really all I wear these days...the only platinum pieces I have now is my current wedding set.

Also- I am so glad you mentioned Adam's bench, I was curious about their work...I don't think they do anything hand forged, correct? All CAD/Cast? I've had my last 2 settings done by BE's bench and they were both hand forged, and I am considering using DK for this project, although the convenience of just leaving it with Adam is so nice- the less the diamond has to travel the better!

Thank you again!

I went with a 3mm shank that tapers - so it has heft but looks delicate from above.

If it helps visualize - my bezel ring from OWD was a 2.5mm shank. I prefer the 3mm

I also prefer a smaller gap - I found the larger gap uncomfortable…especially with a larger stone

Only CAD from Adam as far as I know, but he may have more than 1 bench. The bench work on my ring from him is solid, but I do think Caysie’s bench is better and it’s more refined. I also did a lot of the design with Adam, but had something specific in mind…but I found it much less stressful working with Caysie because I didn’t really have to control design elements.

For this reason I don’t plan to work with DK again - unless it’s a very very simple piece - just my 2 cents

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean I LOVE one of the ones you have posted!! This is what I’m leaning towards… All Gold shank, with either a platinum or gold gallery- stone dependent. Wondering who I should approach for this solitaire project? And would Hand Forged be a better option? Obviously, OWD, DK and maybe BE? I have no clue price wise what gold settings like this are going for, so I should probably conduct my due diligence and reach out to these vendors and just ask…

I don’t want it set too low, or have a wide donut, so I would narrow that portion a bit, and think I want a Cathedral setting allowing the shank to meet up towards the crown.

IMG_2624.jpeg

Adams bench I believe made this stunning ring - it’s crown like, and gracefully hugs the stone - and I love the engraving!!!

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...s-m-from-oldworlddiamonds.234272/post-4217058

1695680449766.jpeg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

OWD does fabulous settings once again! I love your three stone ring AND your new yellow gold prong setting so much! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry if this inspirational setting has already been posted, not sure. It really shows the beauty of a white metal basket and yellow gold shank. This is a much admired ring for me (solitaire setting and antique diamond).

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@bright ice 's OEC is one of my favorite rings from OWD. It's definitely more elaborate than what you are looking for, but looks like beautiful workmanship.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@bright ice 's OEC is one of my favorite rings from OWD. It's definitely more elaborate than what you are looking for, but looks like beautiful workmanship.

Such a beauty! …And the setting was done by Old World Diamond’s bench, custom designed per her ideas. So well done, I think Adam’s bench is excellent.

Note page three of the following thread shows inspiration setting from David Klass Jewelry which is also beautifully done yellow gold base with white metal prongs.

Last edited:

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Such a beauty! …And the setting was done by Old World Diamond’s bench, custom designed per her ideas. So well done, I think Adam’s bench is excellent.

Note page three of the following thread shows inspiration setting from David Klass Jewelry which is also beautifully done yellow gold base with white metal prongs.

Thank you so much! I’ve decided that if I want to move forward with the simple crown solitaire setting, I will use Adam’s bench for sure, if the stone calls for something more elaborate, I’ve already reached it to DK for a quote! So I’m in good hands! And DK’s quote was very reasonable!

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

So helpful!! And making me re-think QR’s?!!! I thought OP would be my limit for an OEC. I don’t seem to kind the warmth in OMB as much as OEC’s but WOW this QR is sooo bright!!! Love!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results