shape
carat
color
clarity

Please educate me on halos

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

I'm exploring the avenue of halos and learning that the look is slowly growing on me. Can someone help me understand the difference between these two rings? The one on the left is a beautiful ring by Nikolaud who has a cathedral Emiliya with VC's cut of antique cushion. The one on the right is from Grace's website and from the pictures looks like she sourced the stone. I'm just trying to understand the differences that I believe my eye sees, after disregarding the size of the stone and can't quite understand.

1. The ring on the right seems to have chunkier facets and rounder but the one on the left is more rectangular and perhaps more brilliance which is what I believe is how VC distinguishes his stones per Nikolaud's thread. Are these both under the category of "antique cushions" but it just has different facets and different shapes?

2. The ring on the right has the halo that seems to just gently support the stone while the one on the left is not as flush and protrudes a bit more. Is this just based on how the stone is set and this is a preference? The one on the right has a lower setting where the cutlet might be touching the donut and the right (can't tell from the picture) might have more of a gap between the cutlet?

Thanks in advance!

vc_cushion_emiliya.png

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
.search CharmyPoo's post, it is the PS bible on halos

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know for sure the left is Victor's. I think the right one is SB621's. Can another PSer confirm? I think that might be victor too? Or is that Steven kirsch?

If the one on the right is what I'm thinking about, it's a much bigger stone, 4-5 carats. It is probably set lower because it's so large and the left one is definitely smaller and can accommodate a little distance between the culet and the bottom of the ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
P

PierreBear

LLJsmom|1469144044|4058146 said:
I know for sure the left is Victor's. I think the right one is SB621's. Can another PSer confirm? I think that might be victor too? Or is that Steven kirsch?

If the one on the right is what I'm thinking about, it's a much bigger stone, 4-5 carats. It is probably set lower because it's so large and the left one is definitely smaller and can accommodate a little distance between the culet and the bottom of the ring.

Hi LLJsmom - You are correct that the one on the right is about 5 carats and it is also by Victor per reviewing the details on Grace's website. Is it just a personal preference for the ring on the left to set the diamond higher, which I guess makes the stone look larger? I appreciate your attention to detail!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1469541055|4059408 said:
LLJsmom|1469144044|4058146 said:

Hi LLJsmom - You are correct that the one on the right is about 5 carats and it is also by Victor per reviewing the details on Grace's website. Is it just a personal preference for the ring on the left to set the diamond higher, which I guess makes the stone look larger? I appreciate your attention to detail!

I think he told me once that he customizes each halo to the shape of the stone too. The stone on the left has a higher crown so you can see he set the angle of the halo to complement the stone. The one on the right has a lower crown so he created that halo to fit this stone. That's the nice thing about letting Victor do his thing. If you like his aesthetic, you can leave it up to him. KWIM? So i guess I'm saying he just decides what is best about how low to set the stone into the halo. I'm sure he will tell you his philosophy on that if you ask him. He is super nice. And as to your first question I think they are both styles of antique cushions. The one on the left being AVC (is that right?, or Victor's CAC). And the second a true antique cushion.

P

PierreBear

LLJsmom - Thanks for pointing out that detail about the crown. Perhaps, I should also seek a stone with a lower crown if that is the preferred look as well.

After Gyspy kindly provided some reading material (still going through it all though again), the one on the left is Victor's CAC and the one on the right does appear to look more like a true antique cushion. I'm learning, slowly but surely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results