carat
color
clarity

OEC arrived today! Here are pics!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1447291522|3948521 said:
The more I look at it, the more I don't mind the shape too much. When I rotate the diamond clockwise and counterclockwise, there are angles there it looks wonky and angles where it looks pretty round! I guess that's optical illusion for you!
If you can find an orientation that looks round to you then you'll likely be able to get it set in that 6-prong you like so that it looks round enough - if Adam is confident it'll look round, you could probably trust him since he's not steered you wrong yet?
What colour metal are you setting it in?

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
foxinsox|1447365566|3948939 said:
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1447291522|3948521 said:
The more I look at it, the more I don't mind the shape too much. When I rotate the diamond clockwise and counterclockwise, there are angles there it looks wonky and angles where it looks pretty round! I guess that's optical illusion for you!
If you can find an orientation that looks round to you then you'll likely be able to get it set in that 6-prong you like so that it looks round enough - if Adam is confident it'll look round, you could probably trust him since he's not steered you wrong yet?
What colour metal are you setting it in?

Got an e-mail back form Adam, and he'll be running other options by me tomorrow. From reading past threads on PS, he doesn't charge when he ships alternatives to look at, so I may have more pictures to post soon! He also said that either 6-prongs or 8-prongs should make the diamond rounder looking. I hope so.

In terms of metal, I definitely want 14K white gold. Unfortunately, I don't think Stuller carries unplated white gold in the setting I want. I figured that once the rhodium wears off, I just won't get it replated.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See if they make that setting in their X1 white gold and it stays white without plating, I believe.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Now the question is now much more the white gold x1 is going to cost! It does sound beautiful, though!

Has anyone ever let the rhodium come off completely and wear their ring unplated? I was on the fence between white gold and yellow gold, but didn't want the yellow gold reflecting color into the diamond. Seems like unplated white gold is a good compromise between the two.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Have you tried out a setting with unplated WG? I am trying out a stone that's in an unplated WG temp setting and it looks very different than I thought it would. I'm not thrilled with the color of it. It's not very bright.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Veltiesmom|1447372266|3948977 said:
Have you tried out a setting with unplated WG? I am trying out a stone that's in an unplated WG temp setting and it looks very different than I thought it would. I'm not thrilled with the color of it. It's not very bright.

I have not! Thanks for the warning!

Between rose, yellow, and white gold, I chose white gold because I want to avoid the diamond looking yellow from yellow/Rose gold reflecting into it. While rose and yellow gold jewelry typically look good on me, I haven't had much luck with rings. Strange how that works...

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I was considering unplated WG because i had heard it might complement a warmer diamond (I'm test driving an L). I personally don't find that to be true. The setting color is kind of blah, somewhere between white and gold. I feel that the overall look of the whole ring including the diamond would be much brighter with an whiter metal for the setting. No harm done, since this is just a loaner setting (and it was so nice of Adam to loan it to me while I decide on the diamond!). But I was glad the setting happened to be unplated white, because it made me realize that I don't want that ultimately.

all that being said, different makeups of unplated white gold could look different. not sure about that. but i would definitely try UWG in person before deciding.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Adam e-mailed back this morning with two options:

Diamond #1: EGL L 1.51 CT
http://www.eglusa.com/verify-a-report-results/?st_num=914384803
Measurements: 7.44 x 7.42 x 4.49 mm
Table: 44%
Depth: 60.4%
Crown Height: 15.7%
Crown Angle: 28.5°
Pavilion Depth: 41.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Girdle: VERY THIN TO SL. THICK
Culet: MEDIUM

Diamond #2: GIA L 1.33 carat
Measurements: 6.91 x 7.00 x 4.25 mm
Table: 50%
Depth: 61.1%
Girdle: VERY THIN TO Medium
Culet: Large

Here's a pic:

Diamond #1 (on the right) looks much larger and more symmetric. I also like the faceting much more. The problem is that it's an EGL, so I may be looking at an N/O or less in color. I did ask Adam about the EGL color and he said that the color is pretty good for an L graded stone. My current GIA M does look pretty white, but not sure I want to go any lower than that.

Adam also said that between the two, he prefers the overall look of the EGL stone. He'll be shipping it today and I'll start a thread tomorrow with comparison pics!

_35276.jpg

Attachments

• 1176066816.pdf
    647.4 KB · Views: 57

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unplated WG... one of my favourite metals and one of my favourite topics ::)

A couple of threads:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yoo-hoo-yssie-metal-question-for-you.192990/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yoo-hoo-yssie-metal-question-for-you.192990/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-metal-compliments-a-warm-stone-best.160706/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-metal-compliments-a-warm-stone-best.160706/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unplated-white-gold.183102/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unplated-white-gold.183102/[/URL]

Unplated WG is just WG that hasn't been plated: its colour is entirely dependent on the alloy of gold used. As Veltie said, it really is impossible to characterise its colour - available alloys run the gamut from just-barely-off-icy-white to -might-as-well-be-yellow. I own the rings in this pic and the middle five bands are all (different) alloys of unplated 18k WG, flanked by platinum on the left and 14k YG on the right:

metals_yssie_1.png

A - PT950/Ru
B - 18k WG (custom piece) from DBL, exact composition: "Palladium-WG" - don't know exact alloy
C - 18k WG (custom piece) from RDG, exact composition: [75% Fine Gold] [17% Palladium] [5% Pure Silver] [3% Platinum]
In-person the RDG alloy (C) looks slightly warmer than (B)
D - 18k WG (stock piece) from e-wb, exact composition: ?
E - 18k WG (custom piece) from WF, exact composition: [75%AU] [9.8%CU] [9.8%NI] [5.22%ZN]
F - 18k WG (custom piece) from e-wb, exact composition: [75%AU] [16.5%CU] [4%NI] [4.5%ZN]
In-person (F) is slightly yellower and pinker than (E), especially under fluorescents
G - 14k YG

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Good info! I think the unplated is really pretty!

I think my main concern, however, is the slightly yellow color making the diamond look yellow. I've heard both side of the issue, but it seems like if you already have lower colored diamond, using a yellowish or rose gold setting will reflect the color into the stone.

What I really may end up doing is letting the rhodium fade and not get it redipped. Or getting the Stuller x1. I'll test out the diamonds with some silver and gold rings tomorrow!

metooplease

Rough_Rock
I'm new here (but learning) and what I know about diamonds could maybe fill a thimble...

I just wanted to say that I love the wonky :shhh:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1447474236|3949499 said:
Good info! I think the unplated is really pretty!

I think my main concern, however, is the slightly yellow color making the diamond look yellow. I've heard both side of the issue, but it seems like if you already have lower colored diamond, using a yellowish or rose gold setting will reflect the color into the stone.

What I really may end up doing is letting the rhodium fade and not get it redipped. Or getting the Stuller x1. I'll test out the diamonds with some silver and gold rings tomorrow!

One possible solution to using non-white metals which some vendors employ by default - rhodium-plate the interior of the basket so no metal colour is reflected into the stone. The rhodium on the interior has little exposure to anything that will wear it away, so no need to worry about replating, etc.

I think your idea of seeing the stones first is a very good one ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results