clarity

NEED Help to see if diamond purchase is good for d/fl/3x diamond

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will need to contact them and ask if it is an earth mined diamond,

lucida

Shiny_Rock
"Himmatramka is also an enthusiastic supporter of lab-created gemstones: Do Amore offers diamonds, sapphires and moissanite made in labs, which comprise about 30 percent of gemstone sales. “If a customer wants a stone that’s 15 or 20 million years old, that’s one thing, but lab-created stones are just as good—if not better—and more cost-effective. We love lab-created stones,” he says."

https://www.houstoniamag.com/articl...ants-to-shake-up-the-engagement-ring-industry
This is similar, but it's not the same company. The name and logo don't match. The one I'm looking it is based in NY. This is good news...

lucida

Shiny_Rock
You will need to contact them and ask if it is an earth mined diamond,
Won't it say on the AGS certificate? I'd rather see it somewhere than just ask someone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would tread carefully though. This sounds fishy with the make me an offer deal. Do dilligent research and don't be blinded by a "good deal"... if it is too good to be true, it's not true.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your suggestion. I was wondering where the $8k came from? If I understand correctly, it's worth paying $8k less than the WF diamond?

I don't have any issue disclosing the seller from Ebay (Amore Diamonds: http://www.ebay.com/usr/amorediamonds) I just hope no one from here beats me to it:)
What do you think? I really want a bargain. I am so hesitant at paying $61k for a 3k diamond that may be absolutely ideally cut, but G/VS2. So would you suggest I offer something like $25k or $30k? They also know that I had $55k from before this transaction when I was looking for a d/if/3x diamond a few months ago. So that may have damaged the negotiation situation...

@lucida, I would first make some enquiries with them about getting photos of the stone before you even contemplate dropping any cash. At least with the PS recommended vendors we've been telling you about, you can actually see the damn stone before you contemplate dropping cash. These guys, it seems to be nada in that respect. You certainly damaged the negotiation situation by letting them know how much you were willing to spend. They have the upper hand now.

What was the list price that they wanted for it? if higher than $55k and you would prefer this stone over the Whiteflash 3.115 G VS2 we found for you, you are better off going with adiamor instead as their list price is already lower to begin with. (I can't even find that stone on the amorediamonds eBay listings at all, they've probably pulled the listing when you've made their enquiry). Given how long this apparently new stone (not second hand) has been in their inventory, I'd say $25-$30k is a laughable first offer. Maybe $40k as a starting point which is $15k off the adiamor list price and work up from there. If they want $55k, then maybe you have to seriously consider whether you should spend the extra $8k on the WF ACA stone or not.

It looks like they are selling new stones, but their high carat weight stones have been languishing in their inventory since they've been graded. They have a large number of super high priced items. They are selling a 4.05 GIA D IF in a solitaire for USD499,000... on eBay!

That 4.05 is decently proportioned based off the report (53 table, 62.7 depth, CA 35.5, PA40.6, 80 LGF), but based on the photo on the listing, it looks like an absolute dog (milky and hazy to my eyes). But this stone was graded in 2014 and it is still in their inventory today. Why? Because stones of that size (and price) are very hard to sell. And if I was going to drop that amount of cash, I certainly wouldn't do it over eBay with a vendor whose listings look like what a 2 year old who has learnt how to code in basic HTML has done up.

Also, based on the thread that whitewave has dug up, I'd say nix the deal with them. If I was going to drop $55k, JA, Whiteflash, BGD, High Performance Diamonds or Blue Nile's Signature Ideals are where I'd rather spend my cash.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't hop off the "make me an offer" thing. This is a huge red flag. How does this benefit you as a consumer to make buying an unseen diamond with no photos or videos a game? It's a game to the seller.

Look, I'm going to call it as I see it.... you are being had. I don't trust this situation at all. You do what you want, but I have a bad feeling here...

Just my opinion and take it for what it is worth.

BTW, talk to your financial planner before you buy any diamond.

Last edited:

lucida

Shiny_Rock
@lucida, I would first make some enquiries with them about getting photos of the stone before you even contemplate dropping any cash. At least with the PS recommended vendors we've been telling you about, you can actually see the damn stone before you contemplate dropping cash. These guys, it seems to be nada in that respect. You certainly damaged the negotiation situation by letting them know how much you were willing to spend. They have the upper hand now.

What was the list price that they wanted for it? if higher than $55k and you would prefer this stone over the Whiteflash 3.115 G VS2 we found for you, you are better off going with adiamor instead as their list price is already lower to begin with. (I can't even find that stone on the amorediamonds eBay listings at all, they've probably pulled the listing when you've made their enquiry). Given how long this apparently new stone (not second hand) has been in their inventory, I'd say $25-$30k is a laughable first offer. Maybe $40k as a starting point which is $15k off the adiamor list price and work up from there. If they want $55k, then maybe you have to seriously consider whether you should spend the extra $8k on the WF ACA stone or not.

It looks like they are selling new stones, but their high carat weight stones have been languishing in their inventory since they've been graded. They have a large number of super high priced items. They are selling a 4.05 GIA D IF in a solitaire for USD499,000... on eBay!

That 4.05 is decently proportioned based off the report (53 table, 62.7 depth, CA 35.5, PA40.6, 80 LGF), but based on the photo on the listing, it looks like an absolute dog (milky and hazy to my eyes). But this stone was graded in 2014 and it is still in their inventory today. Why? Because stones of that size (and price) are very hard to sell. And if I was going to drop that amount of cash, I certainly wouldn't do it over eBay with a vendor whose listings look like what a 2 year old who has learnt how to code in basic HTML has done up.

Also, based on the thread that whitewave has dug up, I'd say nix the deal with them. If I was going to drop $55k, JA, Whiteflash, BGD, High Performance Diamonds or Blue Nile's Signature Ideals are where I'd rather spend my cash.
Good points to consider... they haven't given any offer and I also searched in their listings and it's not there. I will ask for actual picture and video of the stone and ask about a guarantee to resend to AGS for further verification. I'm not sure they'll go for this as I doubt that they actually own the diamond. Let me see what he answers to these questions and I'll take it from there... I won't discuss prices yet. If he wants me to pay that much, sending me a certificate won't be enough.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good points to consider... they haven't given any offer and I also searched in their listings and it's not there. I will ask for actual picture and video of the stone and ask about a guarantee to resend to AGS for further verification. I'm not sure they'll go for this as I doubt that they actually own the diamond. Let me see what he answers to these questions and I'll take it from there... I won't discuss prices yet. If he wants me to pay that much, sending me a certificate won't be enough.
Girl, I would never go with a company that says "make me an offer...". That shows how desperate they are to sell. And no seller of such expensive goods should be that desperate to get rid of their product. The second I heard that, I woulda been outta there. Buyer beware.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Girl, I would never go with a company that says "make me an offer...". That shows how desperate they are to sell. And no seller of such expensive goods should be that desperate to get rid of their product. The second I heard that, I woulda been outta there. Buyer beware.

When you have inventory that is sitting there for too long, there will be cash flow problems. And hence the reason why they are probably trying to offload this stone to you. But they are hoping that lucida will be an uninformed consumer who will end up overpaying. If they are unwilling to share with you photos, etc, run from these guys as fast as possible and spend your hard earned money at a place which already gives you these tools to make a purchase.

As we have said many times before, there are no such things as "deals" on diamonds (at least not at the retail level, at the 2nd hand/pre-loved level, yes).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you have inventory that is sitting there for too long, there will be cash flow problems. And hence the reason why they are probably trying to offload this stone to you. But they are hoping that lucida will be an uninformed consumer who will end up overpaying. If they are unwilling to share with you photos, etc, run from these guys as fast as possible and spend your hard earned money at a place which already gives you these tools to make a purchase.

As we have said many times before, there are no such things as "deals" on diamonds (at least not at the retail level, at the 2nd hand/pre-loved level, yes).
Still a no for me.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If that stone were listed on James Allen, then I would have no hesitation in suggesting that this stone could be a good purchase. Same if it was Blue Nile. Or Enchanted Diamonds.

That stone is already listed at Adiamor. I'm still at a loss as to why lucida won't entertain purchasing from Adiamor but would rather go through these guys who appear (at least to me and you LLJsmom) to be too shady for our liking. Adiamor has a returns policy that is double the length of this eBay seller. And they do have an upgrade policy (though it is more like James Allen's). With these guys, probably none.

So the choice is clear to me. Run from these guys. To either Adiamor or Whiteflash. Or keep searching. Because there sure are a whole crapload more stones available each and every day.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
I didn't know that this was available at that a adiamor site. I will try to find it there. I did request a video and he immediately sent me the following link:
d6z2uq3gvx7kk.cloudfront.net/videos/1000936688/1000936688.html
If course, looking at this, I wouldn't know if this is the same diamond and also, it's not shining like the diamonds in WF which maybe from the way they shot it.
I also said that I'd like AGS report to be confirmed he said that he'll find out the pricing. So he didn't hesitate on anything. I will try to find it on the other site that was mentioned to see the pricing.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I didn't know that this was available at that a adiamor site. I will try to find it there. I did request a video and he immediately sent me the following link:
If course, looking at this, I wouldn't know if this is the same diamond and also, it's not shining like the diamonds in WF which maybe from the way they shot it.
I also said that I'd like AGS report to be confirmed he said that he'll find out the pricing. So he didn't hesitate on anything. I will try to find it on the other site that was mentioned to see the pricing.

I found it for you in one of my earlier posts:
Adiamor list price (https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond/D23012440) and then work my way up from there.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I just paused the video at certain spots where you can see that there is a laser inscription on the girdle.

The AGS report says that it is inscribed with AGSL 104059900006 on the girdle. When I pause the video, the inscription looks like it begins with GIA to my eyes. The beginning of the number also looks like it starts with a 322. I'm tentatively calling BS on the video. It's a video of a diamond, but methinks it is NOT the one he has listed.

If you are interested in this stone, reach out to Adiamor and request photos and a video if possible.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
I found it for you in one of my earlier posts:
Oh thank you, I hadn't seen it originally. So what do you professionals think. Is this a reputable site?

lucida

Shiny_Rock
I just paused the video at certain spots where you can see that there is a laser inscription on the girdle.

The AGS report says that it is inscribed with AGSL 104059900006 on the girdle. When I pause the video, the inscription looks like it begins with GIA to my eyes. The beginning of the number also looks like it starts with a 322. I'm tentatively calling BS on the video. It's a video of a diamond, but methinks it is NOT the one he has listed.

If you are interested in this stone, reach out to Adiamor and request photos and a video if possible.
Omg, you guys are awesome. I will do that! Thanks

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If Adiamor come back with the same video as what the guy from amorediamonds has sent you, I stand corrected and I will go sit in the corner with a dunces hat on.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've dug around more. I am DEFINITELY calling BS on the video link he sent to you. It was linked to from this other eBay listing which has been closed for a while now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3ct-Round...ser-Inscribed-F-VVS1-2237766959-/352027618873

Scroll down on this listing to a picture underneath the section headed "360 View of the Actual Diamond". Hover over it and you'll find the same video link. This is supposedly a 2.3ct GIA graded F VVS1 with faint fluorescence. The 322 I mentioned that I thought I saw is likely to be the 377 in the GIA report number (GIA 2237766959) that is inscribed on that diamond. Here are some cropped images of the relevant area on the diamond video.

videostill extract.png

@lucida, you can make up your own mind about what I've found.

Last edited:

lucida

Shiny_Rock
I've dug around more. I am DEFINITELY calling BS on the video link he sent to you. It was linked to from this other eBay listing which has been closed for a while now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3ct-Round...ser-Inscribed-F-VVS1-2237766959-/352027618873

Scroll down on this listing to a picture underneath the section headed "360 View of the Actual Diamond". Hover over it and you'll find the same video link. This is supposedly a 2.3ct GIA graded F VVS1 with faint fluorescence. The 322 I mentioned that I thought I saw is likely to be the 377 in the GIA report number (GIA 2237766959) that is inscribed on that diamond. Here are some cropped images of the relevant area on the diamond video.

videostill extract.png

@lucida, you can make up your own mind about what I've found.

Wow...

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lucida - I've been following this thread but not commenting because I haven't had anything really to contribute. But, after this latest development of unquestionable fraud on the part of the eBay seller, I have to say that I hope there's no question in your mind any longer if you should do business with them. Try to get your deposit money back, but either way please deal with a reputable vendor that you have learned about here on PS.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell him if he doesn't give your money back, you will file a complaint with NY attorney general's office. Fraud is fraud is fraud is fraud

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
I second ILikeShiny's thoughts - I've been reading along and don't have anything value-additive except to say nice work bmfang! It always blows my mind when people are try to take advantage of others, and I'm so glad that one less person will fall victim to it thanks to the helpful people pitching in on this forum. Run lucida! This vendor is a con man.

lucida

Shiny_Rock
@lucida - I've been following this thread but not commenting because I haven't had anything really to contribute. But, after this latest development of unquestionable fraud on the part of the eBay seller, I have to say that I hope there's no question in your mind any longer if you should do business with them. Try to get your deposit money back, but either way please deal with a reputable vendor that you have learned about here on PS.
I haven't paid a penny! (Thank God )

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The pricescope community is truly remarkable. Talk about consumer protection!

In the old days, buyers would go into their local jewelry store and actually look at diamonds with a jeweler who had developed trust in the community over the years. Jewelers used to carefully buy and stock their own inventory. There was a certain level of confidence and protection built into that model, especially if the store had national credentials such as AGS membership.

Things are very different today. In some ways much better. In other ways, much more risky. Today, the number of stores actually stocking a decent inventory of high quality diamonds is very small. Most rely on consignment and/or trade networks to access diamonds on demand. Everyone with a website can also now be a diamond dealer, posting thousands of diamonds for sale, with or without any particular level of expertise in the field. Prices and availability for many of these listings can be extremely unreliable and therefore misleading to consumers. Data and evaluations associated with diamonds that have never been inspected by the merchant are clearly open to question.

The 'virtual' market concept makes a lot of sense and is being utilized properly by many good sellers today. The model allows for pricing to be sharp, which is very much to the benefit of the consumer. And this trend has generally suppressed prices across the board, as information concerning diamond values has become more readily available to the consumer.

Modern reputation tools such as review sites and forums like this allow consumers to identify reputable sellers and get real time peer recommendations. And understanding the added value that the merchant provides in the form of information and diagnostics, assurance policies, buyback and trade-up opportunities allows a consumer to understand differences in pricing between sellers so that they can make the best choice based upon what is most important to them.

There is also a downside to shopping the virtual market. Prior sale or delivery delays may cause disappointment and frustration. The diamonds are not pre-vetted by the merchant and therefore there is risk of unforeseen issues.

Because there has been a massive trend in the industry toward the virtual model, the value of in-stock, fully vetted diamonds available for immediate sale is sometimes under-estimated. The opportunity to see a comprehensive set of diagnostics on the diamond and the opportunity to have a gemologist answer questions with the diamond in hand or provide additional information such as comparison images, can be very valuable for such a special purchase. This also makes it possible for a consumer to visit the vendor to see the diamond in person and get to know the merchant and the operation face to face. On large dollar purchases, many smart shoppers do just that.

Diamonds listed with old certificates, with limited objective data, with mismatched data, with minimal return options, or by sellers with questionable reputations, are all red flags that should be taken very seriously by consumers. I will also echo the sentiment that many here have already expressed that purchasing a diamond for ‘investment’ purposes is not something that most individuals should basing decisions on. There clearly are ways to understand the types of diamonds that offer the best potential resale value, but this is relative factor. Any merchant pitching the investment value of a diamond they are selling should be immediately suspect.

While e-commerce in general provides consumers with a fantastic array of opportunities, it is still necessary to perform due diligence and to use sound judgement. Shoppers that find their way to pricescope are smart, and are already on the path to a successful purchase.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucida, you are killing me here. You're thinking about spending a ton of $$$. Don't waste it! If you're considering these types, please take a break and don't buy at all. I think you need to stop looking for "the DEAL". For the quality of stone you are wanting, it's not gonna happen, unless your Dad owns WF, GOG or BGD or Canera. KWIM? Just keep watching as different posters buy stones and see watch the process they go through. I can't take it! :errrr: Anything that is too good to be true...guess what? IS.

Take a break. Tuck your money away and just sit and watch and wait. And when you can get your head around the idea of YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, then start the hunt again. It would break my heart if you got taken in your eagerness to find that "DEAL". HUGS girl. And chill...8-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results